Start by marking “Misfits (Royal Academy Rebels #1)” as Want to Read:
Misfits (Royal Academy Rebels #1)

Misfits

(Royal Academy Rebels #1)

A brand new series from Jen Calonita, set in the world of Fairy Tale Reform School! Not everyone born royal is meant to rule…

In the magical fairytale kingdom of Enchantasia, becoming a legendary Prince or Princess doesn't happen overnight. Enter Royal Academy, the training ground for the fairytale leaders of tomorrow!

But reluctant-future-princess and new-student Devin has
Published October 2nd 2018 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

Jane
Jun 28, 2018 added it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy cliffhangers.
2 very cranky and disappointed stars for Misfits, in which we follow Devin, a princess who would much rather spend her time taking care of sick and injured animals than doing the usual princess-y things. Devin's special skill of being able to communicate with animals makes her a natural at tending to their healthcare needs, and she spends much of her time sneaking away from the castle to partake in "Animal Care".

Unfortunately, the kingdom requires that all princes and princesses attend the renow
Tanja Voosen
This was a super cute and fun read! I always enjoy Jen Calonitas books! Devin was a sarcastic, lovely and likeable character and surely not your average princess. There was a lot of action and really unique Fairytale elements to the plot. And I really liked the girl power! If you are looking for a enjoyable middle grade series, here it is!
Andrew
WARNING: THIS BOOK IS A CLIFFHANGER.

Enchantasia, the magical land where ALL of the fairytale heroes, villains and magical creatures live.

Princess Devin, who can talk to and understand most animals wants to be a special animal caregiver. However, her parents insist that she attend Royal Academy where royalty offspring are taught "life skills" to be princesses and princes (boys get to fight dragons but girls have to just sit there and wait).
However, something is not right at Royal Academy: it s
Darla
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devin has a gift -- she can talk to animals. She would much rather stay at home and tent do the forest creatures who need her healing skills, but is required to attend the Royal Academy. When she gets there, she immediately finds herself racking up strike after strike and is headed for banishment. All her instincts seem to be breaking the rules that the head of the school and resident fairy godmother put in place. Will Devin and her friends be able to expose the corruption at the Royal Academy i ...more
Nicole Hewitt
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

I've been meaning to check out the Fairy Tale Reform School Series for a long time because it just looks so incredibly fun, so when I saw that there was a spin-off series (Royal Academy Rebels), I thought I'd jump in and see what I've been missing!

As expected, this series is super light and fluffy and adorable and perfect for MG readers who love the boarding school spin on fairy tales. The MC is Devin, a reluctant roya
Kyleigh
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
**Spoiler-free!**

This book is following a trend on fairy tale schools/princess schools/famous people go to a prep school to learn how to be royalty trend that we're seeing a lot in writing nowadays. No problem, I'm always down for a fresh take.

This book features Devin Nile, unknown-royalty girl who has a "super high-tier princess skill" of being able to talk to animals. All Devin wants to do is run an animal-care program when she ascends to the throne one day. That is, however, until she recei
Brittany
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fake it till you make it. Devin may be a princess, but it isnt the life path shed choose for herself. If you ask her shed rather use her ability to talk to creatures to aid in healing them. Unfortunately, Devin doesnt get a say in what she wants to do and is sent to Royal Academy- because attendance at RA is mandatory for all young royals in the kingdom. From the moment Devin arrives at RA she feels as though something is off. The question is, is she right or is she just refusing to give RA the ...more
Dena (Batch of Books)
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
So, so cute!
Devin is not your typical princess. She can talk to animals, prefers to wear pants, and absolutely does NOT want to attend Royal Academy, a school for young princesses and princes. Much to her disappointment, she ends up at Royal Academy anyway. At first, everything seems fine, but it doesn't take long before Devin and her new roommates start noticing some weird things happening. Soon, Devin is defending her classmates from harpies and dragons—but magical creatures are the least of h
Amanda Sanders
Sep 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book is a bit of a copycat of Harry Potter. The Royal Academy, though, has less purpose than a magical school. Devin, the main character, can talk to animals and she is rare royalty. She has an ambitious mother who has known about the Royal Academy all of Devin's life, but somehow Devin doesn't know any rules or what to do when she gets there. And the ambitious mother didn't know about how rare Devin's animal talking gift was and how it could help Devin's royal endeavors. I think an ambitio ...more
LibraryDanielle
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Misfits was a super cute book about not fitting in- in a fairy tale world. I didn't read the first series from Jen Calonita (Fairy Tale Reform School) but it didn't seem super necessary. There were some references to that series, but this might hold up as a good separate series.

Devin is a princess in Enchantasia (say that 5 times fast), but she's not a typical princess. She isn't into ruffles and other stereotypical princess stuff- she likes talking with her animal friends and helping them with
Jill Jemmett
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story!

The characters in the story are new princes and princesses. Some are related to familiar princesses, such as Raina who is Snow White’s sister. Snow White, Cinderella, and Rapunzel graduated from the school years ago, but they still make appearances in the story.

Devin was a rebel, which didn’t go with Olivina’s vision for the school. Olivina is the fairy godmother who runs the school. However, everything is not what it seems at the school. People who you think should be good ar
Meghan
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy and variations of fairy tales do very well at our library. Misfits was a twist on old classics that have a new take on mischief. This reminded me of Descendants but it mostly focused on the heroines of the fairy tales especially Cinderella and Alice and Wonderland. We have a few of Jen's books from the series Secrets of my Hollywood Life and they have circulated real well. When I got the book I was really excited to read it hoping it would delive ...more
Julia
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Devin is the kind of princess ever girl should want to be. She doesn't play by the rules and saves herself and her friends when they are in danger. But that goes again the Royal Academy Manual for how princesses are supposed to act (wait for the prince to save them of course!) Devin and her friends can tell there is something suspicious about Olivina, THE Fairy Godmother and headmistress of Royal Academy and discover the truth that could change the kingdom!
This was an action packed story full of
Pam
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
A spin-off series from her Reform School books. This time the princess does not want to go to the Royal Academy and has her own plan for life. She has the gift to speak with animals and want to be a caregiver. She's required to attend this school and has difficulties from arrival on. These are partially caused by her refusal to read any of the required information.
She finds friends who also have serious questions about what is happening at this school and they suffer consequences for challenging
Christiana
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked that some of the princesses were feminists and gently challenged gender norms that other characters were putting forward for princesses and princes. I could definitely see this as a read alike for Ella Enchanted and Descendants series, although I got the sense that anyone interested in these may appreciate the context of starting with the Fairy Tale Reform School by the same author first (there's some characters that are explained in such a way that it's clear they're crossover characte ...more
Favour Egbune
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't come into this book with a positive or even neutral outlook because I hadn't exactly enjoyed the accompanying series "Fairy Tale Reform School". I really thought it'd be similar, boring, and not worth reading the sequels.

Well, it was similar. There were certain parallels. But it definitely wasn't as dull as I had found "Fairy Tale Reform School" to be. I think it's probably because I liked these character's personalities better, especially Snow's brother and that one dude who was afraid
Lori
3.5 strong middle grade stars for me for this book

An enjoyable middle grade book with a strong theme on trying to fit in when you are born to stand out, Devon is the kind of princess every girl should want to be... she’s kind, smart, resourceful, independent and a good friend. I could see my 10 year old granddaughter enjoying this series. My only disappointment was with the ending, or lack there of. While I’m not opposed to a good cliffhanger, this book literally just ended right when the plot t
Emilie Haydel
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this book at the Barnes and Noble book haul (50% off). Wasn’t terrible or my favorite. Feels like a fairy tale themed hairy potter with way less detail. Not enough background information on characters, especially the main characters...or was I supposed to read the other series Fairy Tale Reformed School first? I loved the concept, just feels like somethings missing, especially since it doesn’t really get interesting until the last 2 chapters. I will still check out the fairy tale reform ...more
Donna
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Devin is a royal, but all she wants to do is care for her animal friend. That is fine until she is enrolled in the Royal Academy. Following under the rule of the Fairy godmother, Olivinia is not how Devin saw her life taking shape.

Once at royal court Devin finds she is different than most princesses. She is bold and independent. This tale takes the reader on a tour through the Royal Academy. Shows us the day to day classes and of course the obstacles. What? There are obstacles? Well, of course
Sharon
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4th&up
As a fan of reworked fairy tales and of Calonita’s other works, I was all on board for the first in a new series set in the same world as the Fairy Tale Reform School books.
Devin is a great character- a royal who wants to take a different path, but finds that being true to her passions and instincts gets her in a whole lot of trouble.
So fun, but what a cliffhanger! I need a sequel asap!

Thanks to Sourcebooks Jabberwocky for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Ellen Kunce
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. It's super magical, and perfect for girls and boys who love magic and are in elementary school and grade school, well really any age. I love seeing a blonde princess be a hero. There are also positive messages about fighting for women's rights in a world where there are none or very little. It also briefly touches on corrupt politics and two-faced leaders. It's brilliant. It sends a wonderful message to girls that you don't need a prince to save you, you can save yourself!

Amy Locurto
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this book before giving it to my 12 year old daughter and really enjoyed it. The story is about a girl Devin who is forced to attend the Royal Academy for Princess and Princesses. She can speak to animals and just wants to be a creature caretaker, but her mother has always dreamed of her being a queen and all royals must attend this school. The academy is run and founded by the Fairy Godmother from Cinderella. Cinderella “Ella” and Snow White “Snow” are a few of the teachers. There is typ ...more
Carlye
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book by accident, so I decided to read it. It wasn't too great, but it wasn't terrible. I managed to read the book all in one sitting since it was a pretty small book.

I like the characters and I like the setting, but the plot is really slow. Also, the climax really disappoints. I was expecting something a little bigger than a fight against an old woman who took some jewels.

Will, I read the next book when it comes out? Why would you even ask that question? Of course, I will.
Sarah Hay
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: j, j-series
Devin is reluctantly headed to Royal Academy for princess training. Devin wants nothing more than to spend her time taking care of the animals that she is able to talk to, but her mother pushes her into a school for princes and princesses. Devin is welcomed at the school and given honors above other students, but she soon begins to worry that things are not what they seem at this fairy tale school.
Cute new series for royal enthusiasts.
Good for ages 10 and up
Linda Owen
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
First of all, I absolutely hate to finish a book... and it's not finished. This is obviously a set up for a series,so the ending is entirely not ended.. It's ok otherwise, with royals (mostly princesses here) at the Royal Academy School. The head of school, Olivina the Fairy Godmother, does things impossible to understand that undermine our heroine, Devin Nile. And we won't know why until we read others not yet printed in the series!
Lisa
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Devin Nile is my hero! A true rebel and a marvelous misfit who understands the importance of being able to rescue yourself and that doing the right thing will always be the right thing to do. I am excited to hand sell Misfits and I look forward to enjoying the rest of the series. I will never be a proper princess but I will always be a perfect misfit.
Brandy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Fake it till you make it." A fun story set in a fairytale land full of royalty you've probably read about or watched in movies. The overall message of trying to fit in when you're born to stand out is one many readers will relate to! The ending felt quite abrupt, however, it also had me wanting to read the next book!
Amanda Beauchesne
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by Jen Calonita and I will definitely be reading her other series. Devin is super sassy and nothing like the rest of her classmates at the Royal Academy. She wishes she could stay home and talk to her animals but alas the universe has other plans for her. It is a very light read.
Kristiana Y. Sfirlea
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to be in a certain mood for fairytale retellings, and to be honest, that mood was not upon me when I began MISFITS. And yet, here I am giving a 5-star rating because it doesn't matter what kind of mood I'm in. This book is fantastic anytime!

(My only complaint is that I have the misfit song from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer stuck in my head every time I look at the title!)
April
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The royal academy is run by a powerful fairy godmother. She orchestrates the lives of all royals.
Devin is a first year student. She can speak to animals and wants to care for them. Devin doesn't fit in with the other princesses and Olivinia gives her strikes for each considered infraction.
It was harder to get into this book than it was for the fairy tale reform school.
  • Click
  • Goldilocks Breaks In (Grimmtastic Girls, #6)
  • The Ostrich and Other Lost Things
  • Captain Superlative
  • The Ambrose Deception
  • Wicked Nix
  • Fairy Tail Ending (Ever After High: A School Story #6)
  • The Perfect Score  (The Perfect Score, #1)
  • Ellie, Engineer
  • Cosmic Commandos
  • Wicked Bugs: The Meanest, Deadliest, Grossest Bugs on Earth
  • Time Shifters
  • The Spell Thief (Little Legends #1)
  • Beanstalker and Other Hilarious Scarytales
  • Rosie Revere and the Raucous Riveters
  • The Waffler
  • Ninja-Rella: A Graphic Novel
  • The Exact Location of Home
Hi Goodreads!
I'm Jen Calonita, a MG and YA author who loves what I do because it lets me connect with all of you (and no, I wasn't intending for that to rhyme!).

I've been writing ever since I can remember, but it was fourth grade when I put my "three wishes" for a genie down on paper. They were:
#1. Buy all the Cabbage Patch Kids in the world and give them away for free (because apparently that wa