Start by marking “The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill

The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  552 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Sir Winston Churchill was the greatest orator of his day, the greatest statesman of his age, and the greatest Englishman of the 20th century. This enchanting collection gathers hundreds of his funniest and wickedest quips in tribute to the exhilarating wit of this great-hearted, infuriatingly conceited, wildly funny, and brilliantly talented Englishman.
Published October 1st 2001 by Michael O'Mara (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked Wit of Winston Churchill

Joey Woolfardis
Winston Churchill KG, OM, CH, TD, DL, FRS, RA was a British Conservative Politician and served as Prime Minister for two periods, from 1940-1945 during the Second World War and 1951-1955. He is best known for being one of the greatest War Time Leaders, having led the United Kingdom during the conflict with Germany. Apart from government, Churchill was also a soldier, a writer and an artist.

This thin book contains a chosen few of the many quips, quotes and questions he posed during his lifetime.
Ana
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Porque será que a descrição da vida política e dos políticos está sempre actual?

“O Mundo é hoje governado por políticos acossados e obstinados em chegar ao poder ou em derrubar o próximo, de modo que sobra pouco espaço para debater as grandes questões nos seus pontos essenciais”
Sashankh Kale
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good compilation with witty barbs and comebacks. Quite enjoyable.
^

The title is pretty self-explanatory; this is a book of quotes, a book of memorable sayings of Sir Winston Churchill, the eminent British Prime Minister who served two terms; firstly from 1940 to 1945 and secondly from 1951 to 1955. “The Wicked Wit Of Winston Churchill” IS an interesting and amusing read, for all other than those whose political beliefs lie embedded on the far Left, who whilst still choking on the title might well baulk at so much as getting as far as the Contents page.

This boo
Andrew
Aug 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Not much new in this book for anyone who's read books about or by Churchill in the past. Still, I liked the way the author organized the sections of the book. I often felt that something was missing that kept the reader from really getting a feel for Churchill. That being said, for someone with little knowledge of Churchill, the reader will find it full of interesting quips and anecdotes.
Jo Kaiser
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book! It's a lovely collection of Winston Churchill's wit and humour, and for someone who has not been much exposed to him, it's a fantastic read. It's rather embarrassing to admit how little I know of Churchill but I barely knew who he was prior to reading this book. The reading of this has really motivated me to further look into his life and work, something I'll no doubt enjoy. Whilst it feels a little strange giving this book five stars, I truly believe it deserves it, the rang ...more
Isaac Miller
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Winston Churchill was not only one of the greatest politicians and statesmen in history, he was also one of the wittiest. I can pick up this book and turn to any page and find some hilarious quote from Churchill and chuckle.
Carol
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Perhaps I was too tired when I picked this up. Perhaps Winston's zingers are so widely flung, that they resemble a toddler's third telling of a joke that was funny the first time. It could be that quotes stripped of context looked pale, naked. And, I will say, some quotes were dirty pool.

Of course, some bear repeating. Regarding Stanley Baldwin, Churchill said "He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.

My favorite from this
Joe Boudreault
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only 160 pages long, this book is filled with a variety of wit and wisdom from one of Britain's most famous leaders. It reads like a brief biography of the man who many consider to be the greatest talent in England since Shakespeare. There are many facets to the character of Churchill, and many books written about him. Here are contained a parcel of clever, perceptive, and often brilliant sayings from this knight of the empire who was both generous and sharp, forgiving and caustic, but always en ...more
Katie
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book was very insightful
I learned that Churchill was an avid drinker, a profound speaker and an extremely intelligent man.

I had to research some of the vocabulary for definitions of words because I had not heard of them or read them before.

I tried to understand the quotes as best as I could, but with some it felt near impossible. I am sure that sometime in the future I will go over this book again - or another similar.

I gave 4/5 stars because I felt like the writer of this book co
Snippets That Ins...: Power Point? 1 1 May 19, 2017 07:46AM
  • 1989 The Berlin Wall: My Part In Its Downfall
  • London: The Autobiography
  • Ten Questions Science Can't Answer (Yet!): A Guide to Science's Greatest Mysteries
  • The Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln: A Book of Quotations
  • The Wicked Wit of Jane Austen
  • World War II
  • Bastards & Boneheads: Canada’s Glorious Leaders, Past and Present
  • Behind the Lines: Powerful and Revealing American and Foreign War Letters---And One Man's Search to Find Them
  • The Kaiser Affair (The Drifting Isle Chronicles #1)
  • Churchill: A Biography
  • Until Death Do Us Part: My Struggle to Reclaim Colombia
  • Fire and Ashes: Success and Failure in Politics
  • Quite Honestly
  • Le catene di Eymerich
Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, FRS, PC (Can) was a British politician who served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945, and again from 1951 to 1955. A noted statesman, orator and strategist, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army. A prolific author, he won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1953 for his own historical writings, "for his mastery ...more
More about Winston S. Churchill...
“Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice” 0 likes