Start by marking “Building 51” as Want to Read:
Building 51

Building 51

Partially burned and completely abandoned, the Hudson River State Hospital for the Insane stands as a crumbling reminder of the dark, early days of the treatment of the mentally ill.

While the hospital was touted as “revolutionary,” it was more of a warehouse. Shock treatment, lobotomies, and straightjackets weren't scary stories; they were the reality. For 140 years,
Published January 3rd 2018 by PK Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Building 51, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Building 51

Start your review of Building 51
Jenny
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
There's an abandoned mental institution in my town. I've heard plenty of stories about its closing over the years. Mostly, I was told that when the state shut it down in the seventies, its patients had nowhere else to go, and they became the "street people" that everyone around my town knew. They weren't bad people, and they weren't dangerous. They were a little "off," maybe, but they had distinct personalities, and they became well-known "characters." I also heard that the hospital used to ...more
Kim
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super creepy and really great read

Just finished a few minutes ago, and I've got to tell you that this book really grabs you by the scruff of the neck and doesn't stop shaking you until the last page is turned. Well fleshed out story, exciting and believable characters, and enough compelling, gruesome imagery to make you consider turning on another light while reading. If you're a fan of asylum stories, you must add this one to your collection...it's a definite keeper.
J.C
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sensational. Truly a wonderful modern horror straight from a well-developed imagination. Gripping to the very end.
Jenn
May 25, 2018 added it
very suspenseful!!! enjoyed reading a book based on a location close to my home. wondering if there will be a sequel
Nani O
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. My only qualm is that I wish it was longer and wanted to know more. I hope there is a part 2.
Lee Hall
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Urban exploration horror filled with tension and some truth…

Building 51 follows the events of seven friends as they embark on an exploration excursion. Their destination the Hudson River State Hospital for the Insane; a real place with a real history that can be described as harrowing to say the least.

Exploration of abandoned places is a specialist niche in the genre of horror and one which I very much enjoy. Films such as ‘Grave encounters’ and ‘House on Haunted Hill’ come to mind but in terms
Joan Miller
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it from beginning to end! Actually I couldn't put it down. Many a dish got unwashed etc. but it was so worth it. Thank you Jenn, for another riviting novel that I will read again! I'm sure my second go round will fill me in on many things I missed in my anxiousness to find out what was coming next. I loved this book because it was so different and brought out so many interesting twists and turns that I could hardly keep up. Good work. Looking forward to your next thriller!

I chose this
Mary Gina
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AWESOME, A MUST READ!!
Blue Rose
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a little haunting tale this Halloween, pick up this book. While Horror may not be my genre, I can certainly say this was very well written, with characters you can really identify with and certain scenes that will definitely creep you out.
For those who like warnings: there is major character death, as any proper horror story will have.
Rachel
Sep 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book sucked. There are a ton of grammar and sentence structure errors. The story is unbelievable and corny. There’s no reasoning into why the deaths happened or why the asylum seemingly comes back to life.

It’s just a boring ghost story. 1/5 stars, don’t recommend. I regret reading it.
Andrea
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
First of all, I admit I'm not partial to books that are too gory, or that make me want to turn on all the lights. So, there were paragraphs I barely skimmed, because I was able to figure out what was going to happen without having to read the blow-by-blow.

I wanted to read this because I live near the abandoned hospital in which the story is set, and it's always fun to read about places with which you're familiar. I didn't find much in the way of local landmarks, though, and I wish there'd been a
Daniel Hamby
Apr 24, 2018
Toni Odell
Apr 30, 2019
Jennifer Place
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lauren Miller
Jan 20, 2019
Ashley
Jan 12, 2018

• The Mother's Promise
  • The Sherbrooke Twins (Brides, #8)
  • Lyon's Gate (Brides, #9)
  • Caveman Alien’s Sword (Caveman Aliens, #9)
  • Caveman Alien’s Trick (Caveman Aliens, #8)
  • Claimed by an Alien Warrior
  • Shielded Heart (The Infinite City, #2)
  • Nadine's Champion (Icehome, #8)
  • Land of Wolves (Walt Longmire, #15)
  • Tycho (Luna Lodge, #17)
  • The Edge of Recall
  • Wizard's Daughter (Brides, #10)
  • Caveman Alien’s Claim (Caveman Aliens, #7)
  • Panther's Passion (Veteran Shifters, #3)
  • Tiger's Triumph (Veteran Shifters, #4)
  • Jaguar's Joy (Veteran Shifters #5)
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Bane of Dragons (Sera's Curse #1)