Start by marking “Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person (Cartoon Comic Strip Book, Immigrant Story, Humorous Graphic Novel)” as Want to Read:

"Illustrator Dami Lee has figured out how to craft a cartoon that's both whimsically humorous but also speaks to contemporary awareness of globalism and identity." The Art Attack podcast

Why do things in moderation when you can just do everything? Cartoonist Dami Lee's hilarious four-panel comic collection illustrates her experience navigating identity, relationships, pop
Published August 7th 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Be Everything at Once, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Everything at Once

Start your review of Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person (Cartoon Comic Strip Book, Immigrant Story, Humorous Graphic Novel)
David Schaafsma
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
4 panel comics by Dami Lee, who three times moved to the states from South Korea. I think a lot of younger women will like it, focused as it is on some cultural issues, on how she became a cartoonist, dating, make-up, mildly funny, revealing how truly nice she is. I'm not a fan of the art style, either, which is kind of goofy manga. It's so nice it just makes me feel mean to say anything less than nice about it. These comics are selected from her very popular webcomic, As Per Usual.

Here's a
Rod Brown
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
A book of diminishing returns. I liked the first section a lot as Lee wrote about being a South Korean immigrant to America as a child who then returns to South Korea as a fish out of water. The next section about becoming a cartoonist was good. Everything thereafter (two-thirds of the book) seemed to be super mild gags straight out of the Cathy comic strip about clothes, eating and laziness. Ho-hum.
Justine
Aug 13, 2018 added it
Shelves: owned-books
Review to come.
Ken Yuen
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, a fun ride. I want to subscribe to her web comic now.

If you like Sarah Andersen comics, you'll like this. Plus, all the drawings are just so cute.
Amanie
I like Dami Lee's art, it's the right amount of awkward cute combined with smart lessons and anecdotal material. I laughed really hard when I learned what she coined W.F.S: a condition in which everything you eat goes straight to your face. I suffer from this exact thing, where anytime I eat, my face will puff up immediately. It's small funny things like that that made the book, but I also appreciated the discussion about being stuck between two cultures, never being quite American, nor South ...more
Sara
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute & weird & hilar
Maggie Gordon
Unfortunately, while the book starts with some interesting comics about culture and identity, it quickly devolves into a generic joke book that isn't particularly funny or innovative. Meh.
Wadhha K
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I stumbled across an instgram post of this book and fell in love with the wit so I decided to follow the account when suddenly I realize that there's actually a whole book of these comics. I did not waste any minute before actually reading it.
I laughed so hard and related alot it was honestly too short for my liking I wanted more. I honestly think that this book deserves more recognition and hype it's AMAZING and I really enjoyed reading it and forced most of my family members to read it with
Hana
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Super cute and relatable!
Mehsi
Eep! This book was just too fun, too good, but then again, I love Dami Lee's work so it was no surprise!

First up, thank you to my sweet fiance for giving me this one for Christmas! I just love Dami Lee's work, and so I had to have this book when I spotted it on her Twitter.

This book is mostly her comics, but there are also parts in between talking about eggs, about Korea, the fact that being bilingual is a great help when one wants to buy online, about family, about becoming a Cartoonist Lady
June
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

A heartwarming and funny graphic novel that not only encapsulates the life as an immigrant child raised in a foreign country, but also the struggles of Millenials trying to find themselves in a technologically advanced and globalised world.

The graphic novel did start off on a more serious note, however, two-thirds in, the tone started to change, and there was more sarcasm. As a twenty-something year old born to Asian immigrants and raised in a culture unfamiliar to my parents, Lee's
Leannes-Booklist
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
Well this was a nice way to pass the time! I bought this last year but never finished reading it, as I hate finishing graphic novels/illustrated books so quickly (usually in under an hour). I decided to pick it back up this evening and it was an enjoyable.

This book went off to a strong start, and I really enjoyed the section about Dami's Life experiencing Korean and US culture! I also enjoyed a few of the jokes in the second half, such as the "Beware the Tides" sketch. What's nice about this
Tammy
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
A cute little collection of comics about a bicultural Korean immigrant. This is not a cohesive story mostly four panel comics relating to her childhood and adult experiences as a tater tot eater, a potential mother, and an online shopper. I totally identified with lots of her introverted, lazy day humor. I appreciated her humor about embracing her biculturalism in order to enjoy TWO internets 😲

The art is, well, let's say efficient. Simplistic, but cute. The author is much cuter than her
Courtenay
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought this was a new book by the creator of Sarah's Scribbles. Sadly, I was mistaken. Whereas I loved the other comics, I found myself scratching my head, rereading many of these to try to find the humor. For example, on p. 50, entering "the yelling room" to get to the internet, the character comes out panting, all scratched and bruised as though she'd been at war. Asked how it was, the cartoon lady responded "great, I'll be back tomorrow." So, is this character masochistic? abused and ...more
Joansie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm kind of into cultural quirkiness at the moment so I thought I'd enjoy this based on the first few pages I flicked through before deciding to get it. I thought it was going to develop a more serious tone as the chapters continued, based off their titled pages however it seemingly got more and more hipster. I thought a thrice US immigrant would have more to share than 'be an egg', but if they did, this wasn't it.

This was fun at times but lacked any major punch. Probably wouldn't read again
Robin
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Since the typical 4 panel comic is one of my favorites, I was immediately drawn to Lee's format by using the comics to explain what's going on with her life. She also intersperses a written page or two to further her story. I love graphic novel memoirs and this has an interesting spin because this young woman is caught between cultures having moved between Korea and the U.S. multiple times. She has some whimsical insights into being a 20something trying to be an illustrator.
Caroline
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

This was really cute. I got it as a birthday gift from a friend and it was just the kind of humorous break I needed in my reading after finishing The Goldfinch (which basically took over my life for a month). I laughed out loud a lot, and the art was adorable. The last section felt a little disjointed, but overall it's a good read and it was nice to read something different from my usual fare.
Amy Pickett
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.5 stars: A lighthearted, whimsical collection of slice-of-life comic panels chronicling the themes of growing up between cultures, becoming a "cartoonist lady person," the internet, fashion/appearance (a.k.a. "Girl in Skorts"), the state of things now, and life lessons. Very charming and intentionally on the fluffy side.
Katy
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Such a fun book!! I love how well Dami Lee was able to tie together her previous comics about modern day life and jokes that I had previously seen on her Instagram with her unique experiences growing up in both South Korea and the US. A super funny and personal book that I will definitely enjoy rereading/paging through in the future!
Alyssa
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Aww. It's her Instagram with more words!

That makes me like it a lot. I'd give it 5 stars if it just had the comics though. That's all I expected and wanted. It's more Dami Lee! Yay! If you expect more, maybe you'll like this book less. That's fine. I'm a happy fan.

More Dami Lee!!!
iamSami
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNFed.
I am a firm believer in quitting a book if Im not having a good time reading it.
I didnt have a good time reading this.
I got to the halfway point and stopped. The first section was interesting but then I felt myself trying to force my way through the book.
I like the art style. The book and Humor just wasnt for me.
Maura
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2018
I really enjoyed this short book of comics, which doesn't surprise me because I follow Dami Lee on Instagram and think her work is extremely funny and sweet. You should pick this one up if you get the chance!
Sonja P.
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Be Everything At Once was a fun read, about moving from the Korea to the US to Korea to the US, and about being a person, and while I didnt love all of it, I did laugh aloud enough times to offend my cat and make her leave my presence, which is a solid endorsement. ...more
Erin
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short but so sweet! I was cracking up at some of these little stories, and the handful of written text was a great addition to the book.

I really want one of those egg sweaters the main character always wears.
tinythunder
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-library
I love Dami Lee - Ive followed her work for a long time, and we clearly have the same sense of humor. I enjoyed the small writing sections and would have liked to see more of that. Overall this was too short, but thats kind of how I feel about any collection of comics. ...more
thereadingowlvina (Elvina Ulrich)
I enjoyed the four panels illustrations but not so much on the story. With the exception of three-time immigrant, the stories felt random and weren't amusing to be honest. Overall, it was just an okay graphic memoir.
Connie (hoot reads books)
I cant believe I spent $13 on the ebook. I didnt find this very entertaining. The first chapter about how she adjusted to american life was interesting but after that the humor was lacking when she started talking about things like shopping, snacking, etc.
Ampersand Inc.
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dani-s-reads
I love Dami Lee's humour and have been following her on Instagram for a while now. It's great having all her strips collected in one place and the short essays she wrote to introduce each section were witty and heartfelt.
Tiqua Lovett
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
It was funny with cute art, but it didn't tell a cohesive story.
nx74defiant
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Fun cartoon book. It made me laugh. She tells of her life going from Korea to the US. The US to Korea and back to the US again
« previous 1 3 next »

• Just Peachy: Comics About Depression, Anxiety, Love, and Finding the Humor in Being Sad
  • Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously