Start by marking “Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers” as Want to Read:
Now & Again: Go-To Recipes, Inspired Menus  + Endless Ideas for Reinventing Leftovers

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
A Goodreads Choice Nominee for Best Cookbooks 2018!

In Now & Again, the follow-up to what Real Simple called "an inspiring addition to any kitchen bookshelf," more than 125 delicious and doable recipes and 20 creative menu ideas help cooks of any skill level to gather friends and family around the table to share a meal (or many!) together.

This cookbook comes to life wit
Published September 4th 2018 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Now & Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Now & Again

Cynthia Shannon
This has quickly become one of my go-to cookbooks for weeknight meals. Julia's recipes are solid and easy to follow - she writes as if she's in the kitchen with you cooking, and reassures you that it's ok to adjust the recipe if you feel like it ("whatever works"). I've made her Spiced Banana Brown Bread twice now (adding chocolate chips the second round) and my husband keeps asking me when I'll make the Simplest Pulled Pork again. I made the Polenta Nutella cookies for my colleagues at work and ...more
Ann
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Julia Turshen writes the most gorgeous, fun to read cookbooks!
Melissa
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-foodie
I loved Julia’s first cookbook, Small Victories, so I was really looking forward to this one. One of the best things about this cookbook isn’t the recipes (although I can’t wait to cook the shit out of this thing - spaghetti pie is on the menu tonight, hey-o) it’s how Julia writes about food as an act of comfort and care, to show how a dish or menu can act as an aide du memoire or to express love. And anytime she writes about her wife Grace (founder of Design*Sponge) it is the sweetest thing eve ...more
Jane
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Turshen's Now & again : go-to recipes, inspired menus + endless ideas for reinventing leftovers is reminiscent of Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Round 2 recipes, however, none of the recipes in this cookbook were items that appeal to me or would appeal to my family. What I do like in this book are the lists of seven, which gives ideas on how to use leftover wine to what to bring to a pot-luck when asked.
Robin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-list, cookbooks
Read about this book, and before I could go to it, I listened to a podcast interview on The Taste with this author. I like that she plans out some meals for you and guides your cooking so that you could easily do something with your leftovers. It's beautifully photographed and I spotted a few recipes that I would like to try.
Shipshapeeatworthy
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There are just some people in life that make you want to be a better person -- and not through any kind of cajoling, guilt, or other tactics. They lead by example and advocate. I think that Julia Turshen is one of these rare people who looks at the world and doesn't complain but tries instead to make the world better. I could start my review of her newest book Now & Again by talking about the recipes or theorganization of the book but what I will do instead is tell you that (in my opinion) t ...more
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve fallen head over heels for this cookbook. Written by Julia Turshen, author of Small Victories, this collection of simple but flavorful recipes is unusual in two ways: 1) it’s organized around menus, so you understand what sides to make with each dish, and often desserts and cocktails as well, and 2) each set of recipes has suggestions for how to turn leftovers into something new.

Somehow these leftover suggestions avoid being trite and are less the kind of thing you’d see in Real Simple or
Offbalance
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I definitely have A Cookbook Problem. I own dozens, and I usually have to be physically removed from that section of the bookstore. It is through this passion I have discovered that not all cookbooks are created equal. While some offer bizarre ideas of what is considered palatable, others seem to have an interesting idea of how time works (and are written by sadists who would make flour from scratch if they could, because they insist it's SO EASY). Some truly bizarre ones are a combination. I en ...more
Maggie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mmm. I liked this book. I took it out of the library because of Turshen's Washington Post column/excerpt about meatloaf: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...

She has an engaging manner in her writing, and there are a good number of recipes I'd like to try - first up will be chicken enchiladas, I think.

I might even buy a copy, OMG.
Rachel Rogers
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful book. Interesting recipes from a diverse collection of palates. I don't really see the reinventing leftovers, unless it's the pull-out at the end of each set of recipes that gives advice to completely recreate things.

Really enjoyed the lists at the end full of suggestions of what to do with leftover wine, rice, take out, etc. That is excellent advice for thinking outside the box.
Kayla
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really love the way Turshen thinks about food.
Debbie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Photos, seasonal menus, preparation timelines plus ways to use any leftovers.
H
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful recipes and meal ideas, but not my cup of tea and too much cilantro.
Xia
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Practical ingredients to reuse. Not my taste
Salena
Oct 17, 2018
Charlotte Niedermann
Nov 12, 2018
Melanie
rated it did not like it
Sep 06, 2018
rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2018
Pamela Kource
Oct 20, 2018
Julia Turshen is the bestselling author of Now & Again, a Goodreads Choice Awards 2018 semi-finalist (vote for her here), as well as Feed the Resistance, named the Best Cookbook of 2017 by Eater, and Small Victories, named one of the Best Cookbooks of 2016 by the New York Times and NPR.

Epicurious has called her one of the 100 Greatest Home Cooks of All Time. She is the founder of Equity At Th