Start by marking “Stealing the Sword: A Branches Book (Time Jumpers #1)” as Want to Read:
Stealing the Sword: A Branches Book (Time Jumpers #1)

Stealing the Sword: A Branches Book

(Time Jumpers #1)

Pick a book. Grow a Reader!

This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line, Branches, aimed at newly independent readers. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and stamina. Branches books help readers grow!

Chase and Ava find an old suitc
Published August 28th 2018 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Stealing the Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing the Sword

Chelsey
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
Discount Magic Tree House?
Madison
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
My oldest has finally started reading chapter books. Some of them are so boring I fall asleep reading them. This book was fun and fast paced. It is similar in style to Magic Tree House, but better in my opinion. There is a antagonist and protagonist, which the Magic Tree House lacks. Ava and her brother Chase complement each other and are more than a one dimensional caricatures. However this is intended for a younger audience and contains fewer facts and more fiction elements. While this is inte ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Stealing the Sword (Time Jumpers #1) by Wendy Mass, illustrated by Oriol Vidal. CHAPTER BOOK. Branches (Scholastic), August 28, 2018. $11.

Content: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) -- ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Brother and sister Chase and Ava find an old suitcase while at a flea market. To their surprise, it takes them back in time to an Arthurian sword fight. Only, someone messed with the timeline before they got there, and now King Arthur is in dang
Nicole
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
A Magic Treehouse-esque book but for younger audiences/reluctant readers. It was very simple in vocabulary and plot, which is perfect for those learning to read. It had introductions to Merlin and King Arthur, but very little information for it. Obviously as an adult it's not really enjoyable/too simple, but I think for beginner readers it holds enough value.

Dawn
I generally like the Branches books because I think they do a good job of transitioning kids from easy readers to real chapter books. They all have questions at the end to help with reading comprehension, which I appreciate. They also are very straightforward in their reading level and such.

This series is good for kids who like history, but are not quite ready for magic treehouse. This book sets up the overarching plot, which is a secret suitcase with multiple historical artifacts th
Diane
“I’ll find you, Time Jumpers! That suitcase is mine!”

Chase and Ava help their parents sell their found art at flea markets. As the market is about to close, their mom hands them some money so they can find something to buy. Chase’s eyes land on a brown suitcase, a suitcase with stickers from Egypt, London, Rome ... South Dakota? But when they inquire about the price, the woman at the booth says it’s not for sale. “The lock is jammed. There is no way to open it.” But Ava feels a chill wh
Dawn
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This new series for Scholastic's Branches imprint for newly independent readers fills a niche for students who aren't quite ready for text-only books or chapter books with few images. The Branches imprint has definitely helped several nieces and nephews and students make the leap from beloved picture books to reading independently in chapter books.

In this first installment of Time Jumpers: Stealing the Sword, a brother and sister meet a mysterious girl at a local fair or swap meet. S
Lorie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Chase and his sister Ava find a magic suitcase at the Flea Market that only opens for them. The girl selling suitcases gives it to them and when they get home they discover the magical contents inside and a remote like device. The suitcase is trying to tell them something, but unsure of what it is at the beginning, they start magically time traveling to reunite the artifacts in their rightful place in time in order to not change history. There is an introduction of a mysterious bad guy that appe ...more
Quite a bit like the "Magic Treehouse" series, although written on a simpler level and not as interesting. A pair of siblings are given a suitcase which allows them to travel through time. In this book they travel back to the time of King Arthur and solve a problem that would otherwise have changed history. It appears that in future books they will have similar adventures.

This book is an obvious imitation of the Magic Treehouse books, right down to the spinning that starts their time travel. My
zapkode
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – This book was amazing. I mean, who doesn’t love a book that blasts them back into a retelling of a favorite story. Chase and Ava are at a flea market and they end up getting their hands on a suitcase. The suitcase seems to be somewhat magical. They touch an object in it that looks like a dragon doorknob and the next thing they know is they are dropped smack dab into the Medieval Times.

In this book they are meant to correct somethings that had happened that shouldn’t h
Otusa
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*I would like to thank the publishing house for sending me an ARC. All views and opinions are my own*

I was delighted to see that within the many Romance and YA ARCs, I had received a Branches Middle School book! Branches has been my #1 recommendation for 6-8 year olde readers! They have a range of fantastic stories, that tackle problem-resolution and team building-cooperation. As a Teacher, I see many children gravitating towards novels that also include illustrations that compliment the writin
Becky
First sentence: "Sold!" Chase shouts. His younger sister, Ava, hands the cat sculpture to their latest happy customer.

Premise/plot: Chase and Ava are a brother and sister about to embark on quite an adventure. It starts at a flea market when they chance upon an old suitcase. The owner is reluctant because it's a locked case--she doesn't have the key--but when the case opens, as if by magic, for the kids, it soon has a new owner after all. The contents of the case are unusual without
Mandy
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This book is part of the Scholastic branches line, which is aimed at children just starting to transition from easy readers to chapter books. It is the first in a series, and is fairly obviously inspired by the Magic Tree House series (brother and sister who travel back in time).

This book is very simplistic and does not have much depth. I know it is for younger children, but that was still the impression I got. I do like that it has illustrations throughout, as I know that is something that hel
Nadina
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ssyra-jr-2019
This was well written for an early chapter book. I know I personally won't be reading any more of the series, if was decently enjoyable, but definitely targeted at kids and just not for me.
I do like that Ava and Chase developed their characters, even a little bit, through this book, and they show potential to grow more.
The plot was paced well and was broken up well by chapters (the chapters were well paced).
The pictures were average in my opinion. They did help add to the story a little bit.
Paula
This early chapter book is the first in a series (Scholastic Branches) for 2nd and 3rd graders looking to read more episodic stories. It VERY closely resembles the Magic Tree House series as two siblings, Chase and Ava (not Jack and Annie) find a suitcase (rather than a treehouse) that transports them back in time to historic events. This first tale takes Chase and Ava back to the days of King Arthur's Court. Short chapters, simple plot, a taste of history, and supportive illustrations make this ...more
Margie
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This simple chapter book starts a fantasy series for emerging readers. Knowing there are more books to come in this series will be a great motivator and help young readers to feel more grown up with their reading. This first title takes the protagonists back to the time of King Arthur and involves his sword, Excalibur, which is missing the hilt. I don't know how many children in grades K - 2 will know about King Arthur but they'll enjoy the idea of time travel and solving the mystery of what hap ...more
Sherrie
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is the book 3 of 15 of the SSYRA Junior books for the 2019-2020 school year that I’ve read so far. A young brother and sister find a mysterious suitcase at a flea market that turns out to be a time machine. In this first book of the Time Jumpers series, they travel back to the time of King Arthur and Merlin. Reminiscent of the Magic Tree House series, but with illustrations more in the vein of anime, this book will appeal to emerging readers new to chapter books.
Mrs. Salas
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chase and Ava take the reader on a fun adventure back in time to help King Arthur. This is a great transitional chapter book that is fast paced, full of adventure, and keeps the reader guessing throughout the plot line. Young readers will be anxious to go on the next adventure with these two characters.
Jaymie
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. The latest series starter from Branches. This is Ranger in Time/Magic Tree House-esque with a magic suitcase and artifacts. The villain seems volatile and sinister, which isn't usually a part of those other two series. It adds a nice layer of suspense onto a familiar pattern of characters sent in time to fix something and then work out how to get home.
Alyson
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this early chapter book. It reminds me of the Magic Treehouse series with a brother and sister going back in time but the manner of travel was new. The story had plenty of action that kept me interested and I happily have recommended this series to my students to read.
Azalea
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It wasn't really scary, but still there were some scary parts. It didn't make me cry and none of it was really funny. You just read it and read it and read it, and you don't really think about your feelings. You just read it.
Julie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-my-kiddos, 2019
2 stars because the children (6 1/2) Did. Not. Like. This book. Chapter 5-6, they got scared and we skimmed the rest of the book so we would know that the kids successfully time traveled back to their own home and family.
A fun, fast-paced, suspenseful time-travel adventure. Besides being the first one in the series that sets up the premise of the story, this one would be of particular interest to fans of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table.
Sara B.
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this in a Scholastic giveaway. Fun early chapter book. Great for predicting and establishing background knowledge. I read it aloud to my 5 year old and she is looking forward to the next one coming out in November.
Rachael Bookfairs
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 1st & 2nd Graders
Shelves: bookfair-18, arc-done
Modern day sibling find a mysterious suitcase who's contents let them time jump back into the time of King Arthur his wizards & Excalibur. A brisk & fun read geared to beginning readers who are ready to tackle chapter books.
Andrea
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Has a lot of similarities to Magic Tree House, but both series will appeal to early chapter book readers. As with MTH, the depth is lacking, but the story’s basic plot is easy for 1-2nd graders to grasp. The illustrations are reminiscent of anime and successfully support the plot.
Katelyn Patterson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5, really.

Jo and I were shocked at just how closely this mirrors Magic Tree House. Brother and sister travel through time, solve a problem, and go home with lots of spinning. But she was enthralled the entire time. Lots of illustrations, suspenseful chapter endings.
Sharie
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Branches series similar to MTH. Reading level below MTH.
Julie S
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, j-books
Comparable to Magic Treehouse.
Cleo Joyce
Good for fans of Magic Tree House, but with more action and humor.
Wendy Mass is the author of twenty-two novels for young people, including A Mango-Shaped Space, which was awarded the Schneider Family Book Award, Leap Day, the Twice Upon a Time fairy tale series, Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life, Heaven Looks a Lot Like the Mall, the Willow Falls, Space Taxi and Candymakers series. Wendy wrote the storyline for an episode of the television show Monk, entitled ...more

Time Jumpers (3 books)
  • Escape from Egypt: A Branches Book (Time Jumpers #2)
  • Fast-Forward to the Future: A Branches Book (Time Jumpers #3)