Start by marking “Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)” as Want to Read:
Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)

Amber & Dusk

(Amber & Dusk #1)

Sylvie has always known she deserves more. Out in the permanent twilight of the Dusklands, her guardians called her power to create illusions a curse. But Sylvie knows it gives her a place in Coeur d'Or, the palais of the Amber Empress and her highborn legacies.

So Sylvie sets off toward the Amber City, a glittering jewel under a sun that never sets, to take what is hers.

B
Published November 27th 2018 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Amber & Dusk, please sign up.
Lyra Yes, I'm happy to say there will be a sequel to AMBER & DUSK! Although I can't give any specifics at the moment, keep an eye out for more news soon. A…moreYes, I'm happy to say there will be a sequel to AMBER & DUSK! Although I can't give any specifics at the moment, keep an eye out for more news soon. And in the meantime, happy reading! :-)(less)

Start your review of Amber & Dusk (Amber & Dusk, #1)
Miranda Reads
Jun 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
description

Psst. A new video is up - all about the bad books I've read this year!

Now that you know that this one is on it, check out the Worst Books of 2019 video to see what other ones made the cut!
The Actual Review
description
Buckle up b*tches - I'm taking you for a ride.

The Young Adult Checklist - Aspiring Authors Edition

~Courtesy of the Miranda Reads School of Writing ~

Some of you may remember our earlier course How to Write a Hit YA Novel 101...but what about the author on the go?

What if you don'
jessica
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
this appears to be one of those books that is flying completely under the radar at the moment. i probably wouldnt have even read this, let alone known about this, had it not been the book choice for decembers owlcrate. but this honestly deserves sooo much more attention.

because this book is a straight up dream for any YA fantasy lover. it basically takes every trope imaginable and uses them shamelessly. and because of that, because of the familiar aspects from other novels, it makes the story a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Owlcrate Unboxing! Click link below the picture to see the awesome goodies!

THE GOODIES LINK

I reckon I will leave it at 3 since I can’t really decide. Sigh....

Happy Reading!!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Hannah Greendale
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
DNF at 32% (page 118). The writing is periodically pretty, but the cookie-cutter protagonist and whisper-thin stakes aren't compelling enough to keep the pages turning.
Roshani Chokshi
Full disclosure: Lyra is a dear friend of mine and also one of my brilliant critique partners. Which means that I was lucky enough to read this book in draft! It's outstanding. Lyra's characters are full of heart. Her setting (think sexier Versailles) brims with enchantment. The worldbuilding is literally drenched in beauty. And the ROMANCE. Y'all know that's what I'm here for 99% of the time. AHHHHHH. That is all I will say/can say >:)

Cannot wait for this to hit shelvesssss
Jillian Reynolds (Jillian Loves Books)
2019's first installment of: I READ THIS BOOK SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

WHY COULDN'T YOU JUST BE A BETTER BOOK?!

To whoever is reading this review: Imma need to warn you of three things before you scroll any further: 1) This is an angry review, don't come here looking for niceties--you'll find only anger and expletives, 2) There's some harsh language involved(I'm sorry, kind of, but my anger supersedes my apologetic nature), 3) This is clearly an unpopular opinion, as this books seems to be pretty wel
Nastassja
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the cruel prince and dark YA fantasy

“I will not sit idly by while the world changes around me. I don’t know whether my blood is a gift or a curse. And I don’t relish breaking the world in order to remake it the way I see it. But I will if I have to. Does that make me a monster?”

Such moments make me wish I was a poet, so I could transcribe my feelings into a melody of words. Alas, I am not, and you are stuck with my numerous attempts to praise the book I loved and would want to shove up my every friend's face, so we would sing ser

Rachel Reads Ravenously
DNF about 100 pages in

From what I read, I hated the purple prose writing, lack of character development and horrible world building. This book just wasn't for me. Too bad, it has such a pretty cover.
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Amber and Dusk stars Sylvie, a poor orphan, who has been raised by very strict nuns. We are told from the outset that she has been bullied and tormented by others because she is different. She has special powers that she believes means that she is meant for greater things. The good: the prose is pretty good, especially for a debut. The magic and the world building is interesting. The not so great (and this may be a lot personal): I just didn't feel like it was any different from any other fantas ...more
Lisa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arc
I LOVED all the machinations and court intrigue that drove the plot and kept me guessing. Sylvie is at once a cunning and ambitious character who is still somehow sympathetic and endearing.

I absolutely couldn't get enough of the world origin story - the sun chasing the moon and Meridian getting caught up in the drama. It was captivating and really gave so much insight into motivations and games.

The only thing I wished for was either 1. a second book or alternatively 2. an epilogue showing more d
Rylee Richard
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Preface:

While I have some complaints about the heroine, I absolutely LOVED this book. Political scheming, a damaged antihero, and twists in the story combined to slingshot me through this novel. I’m officially willing to devour whatever this author will write next.

The plot:

The story is full of politics, scheming, and secrets, and an evil empress who uses her court as her own personal Mean Girls Coliseum. The people around Sylvie are miserable, but she’s like a cult victim, and completely naïve t
Minni Mouse
If you liked The Cruel Prince, I can almost guarantee you'll like this one as well. For a debut YA fantasy author, it's a good book with an engaging beginning, a decent world building with a both cultural and dystopian-esque tone, and an admirably subtle shift toward a feminist approach to ambition. Similar vibes also included Red Queen and The Diabolic.

THE GOOD
1) Big fan of the beginning.

2) Sylvie wants a man, yes, but she wants a strong career first. You go, Glenn Coco.

THE BAD
1) T
Lyra
Oct 08, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book to be everything I want to read:

Prose that tastes like sugared secrets.

An impossible, intoxicating world--bright to look at but dark to behold.

Ball gowns and courtly politics and sarcastic banter and hidden motives.

A plot that fits together like broken mirror glass, sharp enough to cut.

And a heroine with teeth. An ambitious, complicated, stubborn girl who dreams of an impossible world, glossy as the colors spilling like jewels from her fingertips.

Oh, and kissing. There can n
Cindy ✩☽♔
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“We are only as blind as the things we refuse to see.”

Me staying up late to read this book:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But honestly, this was such a delightful read.

Now, I won't go as far as to say this book is free of tropes. Because it isn't. However, it manages to use some of the typical tropes while still keeping the story fresh and interesting.

One such way it does so is our heroine Sylvie/Mirage. She is not our usual YA heroine. No one arrived to rescue her and take her to fulfill her destiny. Instead, she tak
Petrichorus
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't know why I bothered. The main character is unlikable. The love interests are mildly unlikable. The writing is bogged down with metaphors that aren't necessary.
Tara ☽
Purple Prose
noun
Prose that is too elaborate or ornate.

↑ That’s straight off google, baby!

I recently criticised The Gilded Wolves for having writing that leans too much toward style over substance. Purple prose. Here’s the thing: I think there are stories where purple prose works, and stories where it doesn’t.

I think the reason why the incessantly flowery writing annoyed me less in this book than it did with other books is because, unlike the aforementioned, this book isn’t trying to say anythin
Allison
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall, I found the book's concept and everything interesting, but it was too predictable to be as enjoyable as it could have.
Bookish_Opinions
Aug 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. From the beginning I was drawn in by the unique descriptions and captivating imagery, it's clear this author is a very talented writer. (view spoiler) ...more
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
I'll admit I had high expectations for this book and it didn't entirely deliver. I wasn't blown away or wowed out of my chair. That isn't to say that I didn't still enjoy it, because I did. I just wanted/hoped for a bit more. It still gets a solid 4 stars and I'm definitely looking forward to the sequel!

Things I loved:
~The legacies (though the name reminded me of the Lorien Legacies lol), I liked what each one could do & the names they earned because of their legacies
~I found many of the point
Vaso
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Sylvie is an outcast. Because of her power to create illusions she's been called a witch. Therefore, she is trying to earn her place in the Amber court. Is any of what she finds there what she was hoping and aching for?
Author is initially developing the story in a slow pace, but afterwards it gets faster and stronger.
A great debut novel full of color, hope and magic!
Sophie Gabrielle
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why👏aren’t👏more👏people👏talking👏about👏this👏book?

Positives:
+ Beautiful, rich language that matches the romantic, fantastical setting of the world. Each description painted a beautiful picture that was a lush treat to imagine.
+ Although Amber and Dusk looks like most YA fantasies on the surface, it has the marks of a great in its blood. The court politics remind me of the “Under the Mountain” arc of ACOTAR. Anything similar to some SJM gets love from me. In fact, it also reminds me a lot of The Cr
mo
everyone has their own opinions with books and writing styles. in the case of amber & dusk, mine is this: it is stunningly bad.

character motivations were thin on the ground. the worldbuilding was nonsensical. other characters telling the protagonist how powerful and good she had become didn't just feel unearned but instead read as laughable. and to top it all off, the writing was cloyingly overwrought, relying heavily on the constant and clumsy use of similes to present characters and scenes wi
Vicky Again
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

Unlike the last 3.5 I gave out, this I would round up to 4 stars on a whole number scale! Which is all the more important when we're looking at my crazy rating subtleties.

I guess the first thing I should admit is that I did not have very high expectations for this. Which is kind of terrible, because I'm on the blog tour and I do think it looks cool, but historically fantasies like these have been huge let downs.

But Amber & Dusk, despite it still being similar to those fantasies, wasn't
Geneviève (thefreckledbookworm)
"[...] an ignorant, unreliable, loudmouthed provincial with delusions of grandeur and an entitlement complex as big as this château?"

This summarizes my feelings for this book 😂 and here's why : when I first started reading this book, I was intrigued by the promising world building and the fast pace of the story. But there were so many confusing elements that were never explained. For example, this world lives in eternal daylight. Or dusk, guessing from the title? 😂 It remains unclear. I also fe
Erin Bembridge
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
EEEEK!!!
Kelli Fischer
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

The story was gripping from early on, with an extremely promising plot filled with magic. The romantic tension and villain building were on point, and ultimately allowed me to overlook aspects of the world that didn’t fully live up to its potential.

From the start, Sylvie was a firecracker of a main character. She was stubborn and entitled and at times I honestly struggled to like her. However, it was these faults and the mistakes that she made that kept me rooting for her - because she
Adela Cacovean
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So lyrical and serene, full of wonders and... mirage. :)
Also... where is the FANART? I need that in my life, for reals.
Molly
Dec 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Taylor
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Rating/Score: 4 out of 5 Stars on Goodreads' rating system. 8 out of 10 on my own personal scoring system.
Rebecca Elizabeth
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved! So much happens and I'm dying for the next book. Sunder was an amazing character!
Uppercase YA Subs...: Amber & Dusk by Lyra Selene 1 5 Jun 04, 2019 08:07AM

• Crown of Feathers (Crown of Feathers, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars, #1)
  • Mirage (Mirage, #1)
  • Shadow of the Fox (Shadow of the Fox, #1)
  • The Bone Houses
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Witchy
  • Horrid
  • Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
Lyra Selene was born under a full moon and has never quite managed to wipe the moonlight out of her eyes. When she isn’t dreaming up fantastical cities and brooding landscapes, Lyra enjoys hiking, rainstorms, autumn, and pretending she’s any good at painting.

She lives in New England with her husband, in an antique farmhouse that’s probably not haunted. AMBER & DUSK is her debut novel.

Twitter: @Ly

Amber & Dusk (2 books)
  • Diamond & Dawn (Amber & Dusk, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our...
“We are all thieves here, Mirage,” Thibo breathed. “We steal a thousand scintillating moments of drinking and dancing and laughter and pretend that there will never be any cost for the choices we make. But the price of love is heartbreak. The price of pleasure is pain. And the price of power is always corruption.” 7 likes
“My monster,” he whispered against my mouth. “Show me what you dream, when you dream of new worlds.” 6 likes