Start by marking “Amber & Dusk” as Want to Read:
Amber & Dusk

Amber & Dusk

(Amber & Dusk #1)

Sylvie has always known she deserves more. Out in the permanent twilight of the Dusklands, her guardians called her power to create illusions a curse. But Sylvie knows it gives her a place in Coeur d'Or, the palais of the Amber Empress and her highborn legacies.

So Sylvie sets off toward the Amber City, a glittering jewel under a sun that never sets, to take what is hers.

B
Published November 27th 2018 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Amber & Dusk, please sign up.
Lyra Yes, I'm happy to say there will be a sequel to AMBER & DUSK! Although I can't give any specifics at the moment, keep an eye out for more news…moreYes, I'm happy to say there will be a sequel to AMBER & DUSK! Although I can't give any specifics at the moment, keep an eye out for more news soon. And in the meantime, happy reading! :-)(less)

jessica
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
this appears to be one of those books that is flying completely under the radar at the moment. i probably wouldnt have even read this, let alone known about this, had it not been the book choice for decembers owlcrate. but this honestly deserves sooo much more attention.

because this book is a straight up dream for any YA fantasy lover. it basically takes every trope imaginable and uses them shamelessly. and because of that, because of the familiar aspects from other novels, it makes the story a
Cait • A Page with a View
This was seriously one of the greatest surprises I've ever found in a book! I wanted to read faster so I could start fangirling and shoving it at everyone asap, but the writing was so gorgeous that I had to appreciate every single line... pretty sure Lyra Selene's writing style is one of my all-time favorites now. (But everyone has different taste, so don't go into this with absurdly high expectations that could lessen your enthusiasm for what is a SERIOUSLY AWESOME STORY).

First of all - I love
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Owlcrate Unboxing! Click link below the picture to see the awesome goodies!

THE GOODIES LINK
Hannah Greendale
Dec 10, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
DNF at 32% (page 118). The writing is periodically pretty, but the cookie-cutter protagonist and whisper-thin stakes aren't compelling enough to keep the pages turning.
Roshani Chokshi
Full disclosure: Lyra is a dear friend of mine and also one of my brilliant critique partners. Which means that I was lucky enough to read this book in draft! It's outstanding. Lyra's characters are full of heart. Her setting (think sexier Versailles) brims with enchantment. The worldbuilding is literally drenched in beauty. And the ROMANCE. Y'all know that's what I'm here for 99% of the time. AHHHHHH. That is all I will say/can say >:)

Cannot wait for this to hit shelvesssss
Nastassja
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the cruel prince and dark YA fantasy

“I will not sit idly by while the world changes around me. I don’t know whether my blood is a gift or a curse. And I don’t relish breaking the world in order to remake it the way I see it. But I will if I have to. Does that make me a monster?”

Such moments make me wish I was a poet, so I could transcribe my feelings into a melody of words. Alas, I am not, and you are stuck with my numerous attempts to praise the book I loved and would want to shove up my every friend's face, so we would sing ser

Kris Brekker
Sunder, Sunder, SUNDER.

Sunder, who makes Cardan seem like a gentle, gentle, gentleee flower.

Sunder, Sunder, SUNDER... oh, how I love thee.
Rylee (Hermit Odysseus)
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
For added gifs, you can also check out my review here! =)

Preface:

While I have some complaints about the heroine, I absolutely LOVED this book. Political scheming, a damaged antihero, and twists in the story combined to slingshot me through this novel. I’m officially willing to devour whatever this author will write next.

The plot:

The story is full of politics, scheming, and secrets, and an evil empress who uses her court as her own personal Mean Girls Coliseum. The people around Sylvie are misera
Minni Mouse
If you liked The Cruel Prince, I can almost guarantee you'll like this one as well. For a debut YA fantasy author, it's a good book with an engaging beginning, a decent world building with a both cultural and dystopian-esque tone, and an admirably subtle shift toward a feminist approach to ambition. Similar vibes also included Red Queen and The Diabolic.

THE GOOD
1) Big fan of the beginning.

2) Sylvie wants a man, yes, but she wants a strong career first. You go, Glenn Coco.

THE BAD
1) The aut
Lisa
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, arc
I LOVED all the machinations and court intrigue that drove the plot and kept me guessing. Sylvie is at once a cunning and ambitious character who is still somehow sympathetic and endearing.

I absolutely couldn't get enough of the world origin story - the sun chasing the moon and Meridian getting caught up in the drama. It was captivating and really gave so much insight into motivations and games.

The only thing I wished for was either 1. a second book or alternatively 2. an epilogue showing more d
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Amber and Dusk stars Sylvie, a poor orphan, who has been raised by very strict nuns. We are told from the outset that she has been bullied and tormented by others because she is different. She has special powers that she believes means that she is meant for greater things. The good: the prose is pretty good, especially for a debut. The magic and the world building is interesting. The not so great (and this may be a lot personal): I just didn't feel like it was any different from any other fantas ...more
Lyra
Oct 08, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book to be everything I want to read:

Prose that tastes like sugared secrets.

An impossible, intoxicating world--bright to look at but dark to behold.

Ball gowns and courtly politics and sarcastic banter and hidden motives.

A plot that fits together like broken mirror glass, sharp enough to cut.

And a heroine with teeth. An ambitious, complicated, stubborn girl who dreams of an impossible world, glossy as the colors spilling like jewels from her fingertips.

Oh, and kissing. There can n
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
“We are only as blind as the things we refuse to see.”

Me staying up late to read this book:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

But honestly, this was such a delightful read.

Now, I won't go as far as to say this book is free of tropes. Because it isn't. However, it manages to use some of the typical tropes while still keeping the story fresh and interesting.

One such way it does so is our heroine Sylvie/Mirage. She is not our usual YA heroine. No one arrived to rescue her and take her to fulfill her destiny. Instead, she takes
Arika
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Why👏aren’t👏more👏people👏talking👏about👏this👏book?

Positives:
+ Beautiful, rich language that matches the romantic, fantastical setting of the world. Each description painted a beautiful picture that was a lush treat to imagine.
+ Although Amber and Dusk looks like most YA fantasies on the surface, it has the marks of a great in its blood. The court politics remind me of the “Under the Mountain” arc of ACOTAR. Anything similar to some SJM gets love from me. In fact, it also reminds me a lot of The Cr
Wilde
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book bored me to tears. Literally. And the MC is a TSTL selfish bitch of the highest order. She thinks she deserves everything because she can make illusions. It's her birth right, you see. People should just accept/respect her dusty ass because she's a poor man's "8" from Stranger Things. Um, no. Respect is earned. Not given, you entitield, egotistical gamine. She leaves good people--even a sweet love interest--just go to the Amber City where everything is not all silks, champagne, magic, ...more
Allison C
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall, I found the book's concept and everything interesting, but it was too predictable to be as enjoyable as it could have.
Bookish_Opinions
Aug 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book. From the beginning I was drawn in by the unique descriptions and captivating imagery, it's clear this author is a very talented writer. (view spoiler) ...more
Erin ღYour YA Readerღ
EEEEK!!!
Petrichorus
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't know why I bothered. The main character is unlikable. The love interests are mildly unlikable. The writing is bogged down with metaphors that aren't necessary.
Kiersten
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was good and bad. I'll start with the positive. The writing and settings of the book were unique and perfectly detailed; There weren't any points were I thought the author took to long to describe, but it was enough to get a decent mental picture. Most of the characters were enjoyable and had a certain amount of depth and backstory for them to be intriguing. Now for the negative... Mirage was one of the most horrible and irritating characters I have ever read! All of her "friends" in t ...more
Kelli Fischer
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

The story was gripping from early on, with an extremely promising plot filled with magic. The romantic tension and villain building were on point, and ultimately allowed me to overlook aspects of the world that didn’t fully live up to its potential.

From the start, Sylvie was a firecracker of a main character. She was stubborn and entitled and at times I honestly struggled to like her. However, it was these faults and the mistakes that she made that kept me rooting for her - because she
Rebecca Wash
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved! So much happens and I'm dying for the next book. Sunder was an amazing character!
Vicky Who Reads
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs

Unlike the last 3.5 I gave out, this I would round up to 4 stars on a whole number scale! Which is all the more important when we're looking at my crazy rating subtleties.

I guess the first thing I should admit is that I did not have very high expectations for this. Which is kind of terrible, because I'm on the blog tour and I do think it looks cool, but historically fantasies like these have been huge let downs.

But Amber & Dusk, despite it still being similar to those fantasies, was
Scrill
Sep 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018, arc
Thank you to Scholastic Press for sending me an ARC for review.
Caroline
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
Interesting fantasy world, but just a little bit predictable.

Before I get into my thoughts about the book, I have to say, I love this cover! It's so pleasing and I adore the font.

I loved the idea of the powers/legacies in this book, it reminded me a little bit of the Darkest Minds.

Slyvie is just a little bit entitled, which didn't exactly help her especially in her quest in this book. It's hard to root for a character who's been told several times to stop doing what she's doing.

The world buildi
Andria Sedig
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing blend of magic and court politics that was full of action and intrigue and romance. The world building was well done and I literally could not put this book down. If you love books full of court politics AND magic this book would be for you! It also features LGBTQ+ characters whose sexual identity is not the only part of their character, which is a neat bit of representation in the fantasy world if that's what you're looking for as well! More thoughts to come.
Geneviève (freckledbookworm_)
"[...] an ignorant, unreliable, loudmouthed provincial with delusions of grandeur and an entitlement complex as big as this château?"

This summarizes my feelings for this book 😂 and here's why : when I first started reading this book, I was intrigued by the promising world building and the fast pace of the story. But there were so many confusing elements that were never explained. For example, this world lives in eternal daylight. Or dusk, guessing from the title? 😂 It remains unclear. I also fe
Katy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
I’m so glad I decided to finish this, it was a good one!
Brenda Drake
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amber & Dusk is an enticing book with beautiful world building, magic, twists, and romance. Sylvie is a fierce and flawed heroine who owns her story. And Sunder! I'm still swooning!
Molly
Dec 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
HopelessBookAddic...: DEC 2018: Amber & Dusk 5 9 Jan 01, 2019 04:58PM
Lyra Selene was born under a full moon and has never quite managed to wipe the moonlight out of her eyes. When she isn’t dreaming up fantastical cities and brooding landscapes, Lyra enjoys hiking, rainstorms, autumn, and pretending she’s any good at painting.

She lives in New England with her husband, in an antique farmhouse that’s probably not haunted. AMBER & DUSK is her debut novel.

Twitter:

Amber & Dusk (2 books)
  • Untitled
“So what? What’s wrong with being ambitious? I do want a world full of beauty and grace. I do want power. And what’s more, I deserve it. It’s my birthright, and I’ll be damned if I don’t claim what’s mine!” 0 likes
“I curled my hands into fists, and made myself a promise. If this world liked games, then I’d learn the rules. If intrigue bought friends, then I’d collect secrets. If Dowser could teach me to control the kaleidoscope of colors blooming like jeweled flowers from my fingertips, then I’d endure the tabak stench of his gloomy chambers. I would not falter.” 0 likes