Start by marking “The Walking Dead, Vol. 29: Lines We Cross” as Want to Read:
The Walking Dead, Vol. 29: Lines We Cross

The Walking Dead, Vol. 29: Lines We Cross

(The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) #29)

Recent events have thrown Alexandria into turmoil, and now Rick, Dwight, Eugene, and Negan all have something to prove.Collects THE WALKING DEAD #169-174
Published March 7th 2018 by Image - Skybound

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Dead, Vol. 29, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Dead, Vol. 29

Start your review of The Walking Dead, Vol. 29: Lines We Cross
Sam Quixote
Ah, the reliable roller-coaster of quality that is The Walking Dead! After the spectacular rush of Volume 28 comes the expected long, tedious build-up to the next bit of excitement with table-setting being the order of the day in Volume 29: Lines We Cross.

Seriously: barely anything happens. Characters rebuild their homes, some grouse at others, they sob, they stick a few zombies, and that’s it for a good 75-80% of the book. Here’s the wafer-thin story we do get: Rick sends out a group led by
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like a great volume of TWD needs action, character & story development, drama, conflict, suspenseful moments and great artwork. This volume packed in so much of the good stuff, I loved it. Every time I feel like the story might be slowing down or too many characters are dying or that this comic can't surprise me anymore, it proves me wrong. What drives this comic is the characters. Characters who are struggling internally and characters who are struggling in regards to relationships ...more
Matthew
This has been one of my favorite Walking Dead volumes in a while. A few recent volumes felt like not too much happened. This one was packed with multiple story lines, new characters, big changes for old characters, and cliffhangers galore.

I am excited to see where the story is going to go next. I had been thinking that it was moving toward conclusion, but now there are so many possibilities, I cannot imagine it ending any time soon.

What was interesting about this volume is how it feels like a
Michael Finocchiaro
I really enjoyed this episode. Princess is awesome and I really enjoyed the Negan-Maggie scene. As always, the art work is fantastic, the plotlines are complex but interesting, and the character development unsurpassed for zombie lit. This is one of the best episodes in The Walking Dead series.
Chad
May 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A slower, transition volume after the action packed last couple of trades. Has some interesting moments but I find Rick the least interesting character in this book. He's going a little nuts like he did after Laurie died. The Pittsburgh issue was interesting although I wasn't sure it was Pittsburgh until the end of the issue when it's finally mentioned. The issue with Negan and Maggie was good as well. But this book suffers through its highs and lows as Kirkman hasn't really figured out how to ...more
Paul E. Morph
I absolutely loved this volume of TWD. There was action in abundance, heaps of horror, a wealth of woes (poor Rick) and I almost felt sorry for that son of a bitch Negan in the final issue collected here.

Almost.

I can't wait to see what's coming next, particularly with Eugene's party...
Ben Brown
Coming hot off the heels of back-to-back nonstop rides that were Volumes 27 (“Whisperer War”) and 28 (“A Certain Doom”), we were about due for a slower “The Walking Dead” arc, which is exactly what Kirkman and artist Charlie Adlard give us with Volume 29. Thankfully, unlike other gradually-paced arcs that the series has given us, Volume 29 never feels like it’s purposefully dragging its feet narratively or prolonging “big” events just for the sake of stretching things out. Instead, the slower ...more
Ryan Buckby
actual rating: 3.5

This volume picks up after the events of the previous issue and so many of the characters are trying to get back on track to being normal again.

Issue 29 is the transition comic and its where not much happens and it's where the characters are just trying to rebuild after some really heavy events that have recently taken place.

Plot: this one picks up after the events of issue 28 where everyone came together to take down the massive herd that was headed towards Alexandria.
Antonio
I've been some months without reading TWD comics. I must say I had thought I haven't missed much. However, the world of our characters did get a lot bigger.

In this volume, we have an interesting new character who called herself The Princess. Finally someone who still got some sense of humor. I know it is the apocalypse and stuff, but come on, guys, we could use some more laughing in these dark days.

Furthermore, Robert Kirkman presents us with some deep psychological closures of some untied
Shadowdenizen
3.5 stars.

My history with this title (and my feelings about it) are complex.

While I do think it's been consistently better than the failing TV show, it's not nearly as good as something like Kirkman's own "Invincible" which is superior in every way (Go check it out- I'll wait.)

This title goes thru Ups and Downs for me: like the show, my biggest beef is that both title and show lack a defined focus and overall move towards an endpoint.

And both title and show focus far too much on Negan, and that
Jim C
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This continues our story of our survivors as they try to survive the end of the world. In this one, a small group set out to meet the people that Eugene have been talking to over the radio. They are going into uncharted territory and who knows what surprises will happen to them.

This collection is more about the characters than it is about the action. We are introduced into new characters, characters that we thought were gone are back, and we see how characters have grown in this new world. I
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

MEH! Good gravy, I realize I barely remember the action packed last volume, but this was such a snoozefest - I guess we need some time to recoup and set up for the next Dwama, but this was a clunker. (The hamfisted monologue Princess has about the diversity of the Radio Group was cringey - yes, Kirkman, we see you have included MANY POCs - men, women, bi, straight, gay, etc. - in your comics, we get it! Here's a gold sticker!) With so many characters dead and the new ones barely
Chris Lemmerman
One of the quieter, downtime arcs of The Walking Dead, which makes sense after the Whisperer 'War' and the last volume.

Honestly, I'd really be fine if they killed Rick off at this point. He's the least interesting of a vast cast of characters, and I think it'd be a good way to shake things up. I'd also like less Negan, but I'm probably in the minority there. That said, the last issue of this volume is entirely devoted to him and it's actually pretty punchy.

New addition Princess is a breath of
Koen
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great volume for two reasons:
- old character Negan ;)
- new character Princess! :D
Alondra Miller
3.5 Stars

Interesting, but not much action. We have new connections, attempted connections and attempted murder; none of these things by zombies. This is definitely a calm before the storm, and I am ready.
Dimitris
It's ok.

Good stuff happen towards the end.

Boring stuff here and there.

Rick is being NOT Rick still.

New character (cover) (as you cans see I don't even remember her stupid name) is fucked up beyond all repair. It's like Kirkman is bored with the series and don't know what to do, so he's going to drop a bunch of trend-related lines, talk about gay couples and whatnot, racial stuff too, and since all of that shit are what the internet is so obsessed lately, yeah... let's make a quick buck.

Fuck.
Juan
Dec 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found that I liked two major things from this volume. It was enough for me to rate this 5 stars.

The first thing I loved is the introduction of a new character, Princess. So I read this volume as individual issues so I had to wait each month for the story to progress. The arrival of Princess was so well done and she is so friggin hysterical while taking into consideration why she is the way she is.

My second point is the more important one for me. While most of the volume remains dedicated to
Angie
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Nothing really happens in this volume. We do get introduced to a new fun character, Princess. Can't wait to see what she does in the story. A few interesting things happen. Everyone heads out to find out who Eugene has been talking to on the radio this entire time. But of course that actually isn't revealed until the next volume. There was one funny part where Jesus runs into a Whisper and they scream out something funny. Even though in the TV show I'm sick of watching Negan't story line, I ...more
Melki
Gun, With Occasional Music
Soap Opera with Occasional Zombies.
Quentin Wallace
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

This is one of the "rebuilding" volumes that come between the more action oriented volumes. That being said it came across as a little slow with a lot of talking heads and not much else. But still, it's character development and this series is based on character development. Also, it's the volumes like this that give the other volumes so much weight, since you feel like the characters are real people. I still don't like this whole "redemption of Negan" thing since I believe there does
Cassie-la
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2018/01/12/...

An uneven and pretty slow arc, the 29th volume of The Walking Dead comic suffers slightly from a few snoretastic issues. Thankfully, a brand-new character named the Princess arrives to shake things up. To make matters better, the entire collection ends with a huge emotional bang 74 issues and five years in the making. Promise.
Robert
Moody Rick still drags down the entire book. The new character seems to be written like a sitcom neighbor - nothing beyond 'quirky'. Carl would be viewed just as badly as his father if it wasn't that he is better than his TV representation at least. Negan is once again the only figure that redeems the work and makes it barely readable.
Jessica
Sigh. I just don't know. I realize the set up volumes are never as exciting because that isn't the intent. But this just felt out of place. Maybe it was the addition of Princess?

In this grim world of death, decay and silence, it has become off-putting to witness someone who can't stop talking. So maybe I am more impressed with this one than I thought? I mean Kirkman threw a curve ball and while it felt wrong...It was supposed to. We have followed our deadly cohort for 29 volumes now and we
Craig
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another strong sequence from the comic (which is far better than the TV show at this point). I love these "down times" between major arcs, as the people of the various settlements just focus on living and getting things fixed up and back in order. There's still a lot going on. Dwight challenges Rick's leadership. A group goes out to meet the people Eugene's been talking to on his radio--they apparently live in Ohio (that's quite the trek). We meet a new character, Juanita, who prefers to be ...more
amanda
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was a great volume! I'm always so impressed by the representation in these comics, and even though a lot of it is included in the show, I wasn't expecting there to be so much in the comics as well. I loved the Jesus & Aaron and the Magna & Yumiko scenes, they were so cute. Jesus and Aaron were really stressing me out with all the close calls but I'm hoping nothing bad happens to them because they deserve to be happy and adorable and in love!!! Princess is an interesting addition and ...more
Emily
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting turns in this one. I'm starting to wonder if I need to wait until the larger volumes come out before I read on. I don't seem to retain what's in these shorter collections as well. I'm intrigued by the new group, and Princess seems fun. (view spoiler) I'm not sure what to think of Negan's story, but ...more
Václav
The TWD walks high. Another excellent book, that I enjoyed very much. Especially that part with Negan, that was very nice. And I'm (maybe) finally getting that "love triangle" between that two girls and that young fella I expected before. And we're getting a new funny character, Commonwealth looks promising, especially with that little cliffhanger and there is just much going on. I'm looking forward to more of that and fearing that I'm finally catching up to date. And that will suck.
Nancy
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was my quickest TWD read ever! This story was definitely a bridge book between the action of fighting the large zombie herd in the last volume and what ever Kirkman has planned next. Lots of little things happen: Rick is still reeling from the devastating death of a loved one, Jesus and Aaron fall in love and a triangle is hinted at between Carl, Lydia and Sophia. Maggie is furious that Negan is on the loose, a spunky new character Juanita is added to the mix, and Eugene and others set out ...more
Fred Klein
Not much happens in this entry. They are clearly setting up the next plot. A new character is introduced, so we'll see how that goes. I expected a big reveal as to the next group that will either be friends or adversaries, but it is set up as a cliffhanger.
Melissa
Just give me a series about Michonne, Magna, Yumiko, and Princess Sanchez traveling the country killing zombies, please.

• Saga, Vol. 9
  • Black Science, Vol. 8: Later Than You Think
  • East of West, Vol. 8
  • Black Science, Vol. 9: No Authority But Yourself
  • Descender, Vol. 6: The Machine War

The Walking Dead (Collected Editions) (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Walking Dead, Vol. 1: Days Gone Bye