Start by marking “Dark Lies (Detective Rhodes and Radley #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Lies (Detective Rhodes and Radley #1)

Dark Lies

(Detective Rhodes and Radley #1)

Don’t trust your friends. Don’t trust your family. Don’t trust yourself…

N
Published March 26th 2018 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Dark Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Lies

Berit☀️✨
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Wild Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

WOW! This book sure took me on a wild and crazy ride.... good thing I don’t have motion sickness or I would be sick from all the twists and turns (this is where you laugh😂) this isn’t a traditional psychological thriller.... maybe more of a hybrid between a psychological thriller and a police procedural? There is definitely psychology involved because one of the main protagonists is a profiler....

Our two main protagonists Katie and Nathan were not necessarily terribly likable or
Dash fan
3☆ Interesting Characters, A slower Paced Thriller.

Dark lies ( also named In the Blood) is a story about secrets, serial killer, gruesome murders, getting into the mind of a serial killer, plenty of twists and turns.

I did enjoy Dark Lies but Unfortunately I found it to be somewhat disjointed and a little confusing.
I found myself backtracking to make sure I was heading in the right direction with my thoughts.

I did like the detectives especially Nathan who was a Criminal Psychologist.
I found his
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: He stands in quiet contemplation of his work, the warm glow of satisfaction lingering as the body ahead of him starts to cool. There is frustration there, too; she'd deserved better, deserved him to be at the top of his game, but instead he'd stumbled and very nearly missed her throat with the knife. He'd gone a little too deep, and the blood had sprayed to places he hadn't intended, like onto the corner of a child's painting pinned by a magnet to the fridge door. It looks like a signat ...more
Louise Wilson
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Detective Rhodes and Radley Crime Series - Book 1.

A new series introducing us to DI Katie Rhodes and Nathan Radley who is a criminal psychologist. This story is full of dark and gruesome murders. Katie's lifestyle is one of alcohol and one night stands. Nathan is scared he will actuall
Carolyn
I found this a hard book to get into. The beginning is disjointed and choppy with lots of references to past events that made me feel I had jumped into the middle of a series and missed some vital information about the two main characters, DI Katie Rhodes and profiler Nathan Radley, instead of this being the start of a new series. I don't mind having to work to put two and two together from a slow drip of clues in thrillers but this felt like walking into someone's nightmare where obscure commen ...more
Book Addict Shaun
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading over 40 books in January my reading has slumped a little, but sadly that is due to real life rather than choice. In the Blood was a truly gripping read that I would ordinarily read in one sitting but which took me longer than I wanted!

I don’t even know where to start with talking about it. It features some of the most intriguing characters that I’ve read about in a crime fiction novel recently. The book opens shrouded in mystery as we meet Nathan, a man clearly damaged, he is livi
Liz Barnsley
Unfortunately I had to DNF this one at 25% although it's possible I will go back to it.

Too disjointed, too many undertones to the beginning of the story so its hard to get a grasp on the characters. I know in crime it's about what you don't see and maybe later on it gets more cohesive but to me the first bit was just a mess of non information and attempts to make it intriguing that just got annoying. For me personally I have to engage with at least one character reasonably early on and want to k
Donna Maguire

I am going to be 100% honest about this and admit that it took me up to 15% of the book to understand what was going on, and at times I was a bit confused but I am glad that I carried on with the book as it does get a whole lot better and smoulders on to the gripping ending.

It is quite slow paced at the outset but it does pick up and as we get to meet the characters and unravel the past of the mysterious Nathan the book gets a whole lot better. I liked the
Linda Strong
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This book was previously titled In The Blood.

A serial killer is loose in London. Dubbed The Cartoonist, he targets young mothers, leaving their bodies on display.

DI Katie Rhodes is called on to investigate and what she finds with the first body is enough to send her reeling. It's very reminiscent of an unsolved murder from a year ago. Nathan Radley was her partner at the time ... one of the best criminal psychiatrists on the police force.

For the last year, Radley has lived in isolation
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
I liked this book but I had difficulty connecting to the main characters which is why I am giving this book a 3 star review. I enjoyed the twists and turns in this novel! There was a lot of suspense that many readers will love in this first installment!
Robyn
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a serial killer loose on the streets of London targeting and killing mothers. He is a twisted and sick killer leaving chat bubbles next to each of his victims on display. DI Katie Katie Rhodes is dropped right in the middle of the case. She knows the only person who can help her solve the case is profiler Nathan Rhodes. Katie believes the killings are linked to both her and Nathan and she will do everything she can to stop this killer even if it means breaking the vow she made to leave ...more
Adrian Dooley
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
A serial killer on the loose, nicknamed The Cartoonist as he arranges his victims in strange positions and makes a “speech bubble” near them.

A female detective and her old psychological profiler have to hunt him down. The profiler has been a recluse for the last year having more or less suffered a full break down from his work.

This is a slow burning thriller. Too slow imo. Felt very word heavy and many times I found it not holding my attention. The premise and set up at the start was nice and
Renita D'Silva
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An impressive, incredibly taut debut from a writer to watch, who I am convinced is going to become the next big name in crime fiction. An assured tale which in the hands of this extremely talented author, does not let up in pace, taking the reader on a breath-taking, thrilling ride until the absolutely blindsiding denouement. I could not out this book down - it was a satisfying, brilliant read that left me wanting for more from this fabulous author.
Eva
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bloody hell, Mr. Nick Hollin, sir! Where have you been hiding?!

A serial killer is targeting young mothers and leaving messages. But for whom and why? DI Katie Rhodes is on the case but she’s been struggling for a while now due to another investigation she hasn’t been able to solve. Katie calls in the help of her former colleague, Nathan Radley. Nathan used to be a criminal psychologist but has apparently gone right over the edge and has been living in isolation for almost a year. I don’t know ab
Denise
Apr 07, 2018 added it
"We do know the truth about ourselves. We will always have our own secrets. And we will always seek to uncover other people's."

A murderer known as "The Cartoonist" is on a killing spree. DI Kate Rhodes enlists the help of a former partner profiler, Nathan Radley, to help find him. Regrettably, both of them have history and terrible memories of the past. The killer knows them very well.

This could have been a brilliant suspense thriller. Unfortunately, the narrative was so disjointed and so full
Jenea Whittington
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first installment in the Detective Rhodes and Radley series. It follows the lives of a detective and a criminal psychologist and we’re dropped right into a gruesome murder case, that leads them into some dangerous situations.

Detective Katie Rhodes has been on a downward spiral for a while now because of a previous case. A new case has come up and a few of the details have caught her attention. She believes these murders have something to with her and her old partner Nathan. The probl
Archana Aggarwal
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thank you Net Galley. I did not enjoy the book. The narrative was disjointed and did not hold my interest. The plot had a lot of potential but the author was unable to realize it. Not recommended.
Ashley Gillan
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I have really mixed feelings about this book. I would give it 3.5 stars.

Here's the novel description, because it really is a multilayered:
"The people of London fear for their lives when a twisted serial killer called The Cartoonist starts targeting young mothers, leaving their bodies on display in their homes with speech bubbles drawn from their lips. He has a terrifying story to tell, but first, the right people need to be listening…

Nathan Radley has a brilliant and dangerous talent. Formerly o
Julie Lacey
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Don’t trust your friends. Don’t trust your family. Don’t trust yourself…”
This is a great start to a new series.
I really enjoyed the dynamic between Katie and Nathan and loved the way their background stories were told throughout the book.
Katie swears she will never trouble Nathan after a gruesome case leaves them both shaken but she has no choice when a victim seems to have links to Nathan.
They both try and work out who is playing games with them and it gets more and more dangerous.
Katie’s
Susan
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
(previously titled In The Blood)
DI Katie Rhodes' life has been falling apart since her last big case, a year ago. Likewise, her partner profiler Nathan Radley, has sequestered himself away in the highlands of Scotland counting down the days until he is going to die. Then a murderer draws markings on his victims unique to Rhodes and Radley, pulling them into the case to hunt him down. But other than that, this story is like a bunch of strands of thread someone tries to make a sweater out of but n
Karen Cole
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Dark Lies is the first book in Nick Hollin's new Detective Rhodes and Radley series and I can tell you right now that once I've finished this review I'll be tapping my fingers waiting for book two. I love books that have a complex storyline and Dark Lies had me completely bewildered for a while. Despite not really being sure what was going on for some time I was unable to tear my eyes from the page, this is a truly compelling thriller.
The prologue to the book immediately lets us know that this i
Pat
May 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm not sure how to review this book. I found it quite hard to follow the story for much of the time because everyone spoke in riddles. I don't normally have this problem and love a twisty, convoluted story but hey Mr Hollin - we need something, a tiny twig, to grab onto. Everything in this book - the observations, the dialogue and even the supposed 'facts' were somehow obscure. The story itself was very dark and the plot didn't have so much twists, rather the whole thing was kind of serpentine. ...more
Sara
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I really wanted to love this book, the title, the cover all drew me in but unfortunately I found the first half of this book a bit frustrating. I get that a lot of thrillers have a back story that unfolds over time but with this it felt like I should already know the story, the way it was referred to was jarring. I had to check back a few times to see if I had missed something, I felt at one point that maybe there was a book previous to this one that told the story but there wasn’t so for me per ...more
Mags
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you very much to netGalley and Bookouture for the ARC of Dark Lies my review is honest and unbiased in anyway.
Absolutely loved this and so glad it's part of a series already can't wait for no. 2! Lots of twists and turns kept me enthralled the whole way through. The concept of a cartoonist killer made me very excited to read the book and it definitely didn't disappoint. Highly recommend this debut novel and can't wait for more!
Mary Pettit
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The story flowed nicely and unraveled at a fast pace. I became vested in the characters early on and truly wanted to know what happened to Katie and Nathan. Nick Hollin does an nice job keeping you guessing who might be behind the gruesome murders of the past and present. A solid 3.5.
Amrita
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked Dark Lies for the plot and the characters. Both protagonists are flawed with dark secrets of their own and the suspense is maintained till the end. I would have definitely liked the book much better if it wasn’t written in the present tense throughout. Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for the ARC.
Elaine Tomasso
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of In the Blood, the first novel to feature DI Katie Rhodes and criminal psychologist Nathan Radley.

When Katie is called to a murder scene she is sure that they have a serial killer on their hands and one with links to both her and Nathan. Nathan has been living in isolation for the past year and Katie feels she has to break her promise to him to leave him in peace and force him to work the case with her.

I thoroughly enjoyed In t
Amanda
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually finished this book a couple of days ago but it’s taken me until now to write my review. That’s not meant in a negative way- far from it but ‘Dark Lies’ is a thriller with a difference. ‘Dark Lies’ is the debut novel from Nick Hollin. I absolutely loved it but more about that in a bit.
DI Katie Rhodes and Nathan Radley are a detective pairing with a difference. Katie is an ambitious, feisty, determined and sensitive young detective. She is also haunted by something that happened in her
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Thank you to Bookouture for letting me take part in this tour. As you may know crime thrillers have become a recent favourite of mine so when I saw this one I jut had to read it.

This story is about DI Katie Rhodes and her old partner Nathan Radley. Katie and Nathan haven't seen each other i
Yvonne Downs
Mar 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
I gave this 1 star simply because I got to the end as I wanted to find out if any sense was made by then. It wasn't. The whole premise of the book was convoluted and obfuscated. The reader is presented with two protagonists (a detective and a profiler) with a shared problem past which is constantly referred to obscurely and leaves you wishing for some real back-story to enlighten you. These two appear as shells of what they were before this story started and it is hard to engage with them in any ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Nothing but Memories (Detective Ian Wilson, #1)
  • The Salton Killings (Chief Inspector Woodend, #1)
  • Perfect Girls (Detective Rachel Prince #3)
  • For All Our Sins (DCI Claire Winters #1)
  • Dark Murder (DI Greco, #1)
  • The Lost Children (Detective Lucy Harwin, #1)
  • Dead Secret (DS Ava Merry and DI Jim Neal, #1)
  • Eye For An Eye (DCI Gilchrist, #1)
  • Before I Find You: Are you being followed?
  • This Dark Place (Detective Kelly Moore, #1)
  • The Fallen (DCI Matilda Darke, #0.5)
  • Love Me, Love Me Not
  • Rough Justice (Knight & Culverhouse, #4)
  • Against Reason
  • Treason's Tide  (Archives of the Comptrollerate-General for Scrutiny and Survey, #1)
  • Pull Down the Sun
  • The Devil’s Dice (DI Meg Dalton #1)
  • A Killing Tree

Detective Rhodes and Radley (2 books)
  • The Goodnight Song (Detective Rhodes and Radley #2)