Start by marking “War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)” as Want to Read:
War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)

War of the Wolf

(The Saxon Stories #11)

Bernard Cornwell’s epic story of the making of England continues in this eleventh installment in the bestselling Saxon Tales series—"like Game of Thrones, but real" (The Observer)—the basis of the hit Netflix television series The Last Kingdom.

His blood is Saxon
His heart is Viking
His battleground is England

"Perhaps the greatest writer of historical adventure novels today"
Published October 2nd 2018 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about War of the Wolf, please sign up.
Karen I don’t think it’s possible to start this series part way through. There is a thread all the way through the books. Characters appear, disappear and…moreI don’t think it’s possible to start this series part way through. There is a thread all the way through the books. Characters appear, disappear and reappear again. The story is a continuam. Treat yourself and read all eleven, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.(less)
Karen I’ve just finished book 11 and the author is promising more. I promise you if you start you won’t want them to end. I mourn each and every book when I…moreI’ve just finished book 11 and the author is promising more. I promise you if you start you won’t want them to end. I mourn each and every book when I close them at the end. Give them a go.(less)

Start your review of War of the Wolf (The Saxon Stories, #11)
John Gwynne
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bernard Cornwell has done it again. Another gripping, page-turning read that I didn't want to put down, and I found my mind drifting back to the story during my day, which is always a sign that a book has done its job and gotten its hooks into me.
I'm liking old Uhtred so much - he doesn't suffer fools but has a streak of kindness that he tries hard to hide.
The mix of historical detail, heart-felt characterisation and edge of your seat battle scenes strike a perfect blend. Eleven books in and
Dana Ilie
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a journey.... next book will be out on my Birthday ...more
Susan Johnson
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is hard to believe Uhtred is just as interesting in this 11th book of the series as he was in the first. Well, almost. One of my my favorite scenes in any book comes in the first book of the series when he and King Alfred and what we know as England now comes down to a fight in a marsh with the Vikings. One of the most truly captivating pieces of writing I have ever read. But I digress, Uhtred although aging has plenty of tricks up his sleeve and battles left to fight in this latest entry.

I
Andy
Jan 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: hist-f-dark-ages
We’re upto book 11 in the series AND this time we also get an age for Uhtred, (we’re always told he’s “old” in the prior few books) he’s 60! He’s also still in the saddle & fighting at the head of his men. As I always say when I settle down to read ANOTHER book in the series..... I think this series needs to wrap up soon? I think i started saying that back at book 9?

It’s in 3 parts

I had three goes at this review having changed it after reading part 2 & then again after part 3.
Some outlay
David
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book in The Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell. In this episode, Uhtred is an old man, but still a warrior at heart. It is an interesting story, where sorcerers take the center stage. Of course, the sorcerers do not have magical powers, but many people living in that age do not know that. So, when they cast a spell, some people believe in that spell and act accordingly, themselves bringing about the predicted doom. And in this story, there is a pagan sorcerer as well as a ...more
Donna
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the 11th book in the Saxon Stories series by Bernard Cornwell. I LOVE THIS SERIES. It really is in my top 5 of favorite series'. Uhtred is a dynamic character. He is getting up there in age, and physically he is starting to slow down, but his mind is what is getting him out of trouble. (Usually it is getting him into trouble.) Reading this one, makes me want to binge-watch the series on Netflix yet again. I just can't get enough. So 5 whole stars for this one.
Scott  Hitchcock
Maybe it's just because I hadn't read and Uhtred in a while but that was the best in some time. I thought book 10 was the perfect place to end it and had lamented the continuation of the series being more about not killing the cash cow. This book made it worth being wrong.
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I had put off reading this book, scared the Saxon Stories were finally going to be over, but with another book scheduled for release it felt like it was finally time to put my fears aside.

I read a handful of other reviews on GoodReads when I finished, and multiple times I saw this series accused of being formulaic, and perhaps it is, but I'm not one to mind formulaic when the formula works. What I love about these books is the characters. This late in the game I do find myself missing some of
Lucia
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another very enjoyable read by Bernard Cornwell. I love Uhtred's military strategic thinking!

Let me share with you at least some major points to explain my reasons for loving this series so much:

* Astonishing storytelling skills. Bernard Cornwell brought 9th and 10th century England alive for me.

* Unforgettable narrator. Uhtred of Bebbanburg is unapologetic and ruthless yet lovable and admiration worthy character with brilliant military strategic mind. He is a true hero!

* Complex and fascinating
Bill Lynas
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bernard Cornwell's eleventh entry in his Saxon/Last Kingdom series brings us a wealth of new characters & some old favourites too.
Uhtred of Bebbanburg is now over sixty years old, which even he admits isn't old-it's ancient. However, he is still a commanding figure & is supported by many loyal allies. Cornwell keeps the perfect balance (as always) between tragedy, comedy, action, plotting & decent characterisation. Of course Cornwell's Uhtred novels cannot go on forever. After all
HBalikov
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Warning: If you haven’t read The Flame Bearer read no further. Start with The Last Kingdom.

“Wyrd bið ful aræd”

This is a brutal book. Not a surprise for those of us who have followed these chronicles of Uhtred of Bebbanburg and the period in which the Saxons were able to repel the Norse and Danes and forge the beginning of England. But, even at this late date, that goal was still up for grabs and this book makes it clear that there was no peace in the land from the border with Scotland down to
Kathy
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uhtred fan forever.
Hillary
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love this book so much i wish that i could give it more than 5 stars . i can't wait to read the next book in the series when he writes it . i thought uhtred was going to die in the battle with king skoll but of course he can't die yet .because i want to keep reading about him in the next book . i love bernard cornwell writing style because he gives so much detail to the story. that it makes you feel you living the storyline with uhtred eyes. that is why i love this series so much . i will be ...more
Krista Baetiong Tungol
Uhtred is almost in his twilight years now, but he is still a formidable leader and a commanding presence in the battlefield. Wessex, Mercia and East Anglia are now all under one rule, and it is only a matter of time before King Alfred’s vision of England is finally achieved (and only if the Dane-ruled Northumbria will easily allow it). Meanwhile, nobles from Wessex are already checking and/or shifting loyalties as their king lies dying, Mercia is in rebellion, and Uhtred is led into a ruse by a ...more
Mark Halse
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best Uhtred book in a dog's age! I've lately been disappointed in Uhtred books but this one redeems the last few. Cornwell gets back to basics in this book telling a Uhtred tale with all of its Saxony goodness.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
C.P. Lesley
As seems appropriate for a character as resourceful, skilled, and self-confident as Uhtred of Bebbanburg, he goes from strength to strength. In addition to a set of bestselling novels, collectively dubbed The Saxon Tales, Uhtred has a television series to his name: The Last Kingdom, just renewed for its third year by Netflix.

Here in his eleventh adventure, War of the Wolf, Uhtred should be enjoying the fruits of his labors over the last ten books, but of course, that story would be no fun to
Bart
Actual rating: 4.00
happy
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
On an off day, Mr. Cornwell still writes better historical fiction than most other authors on their best days. I found this entry to the author’s “Saxon Shores” series not quite up to the author's standard set in earlier entries of the series. In fact, I found it a bit formulaic and quite frankly, a bit “talky”.

The plot of the novel can easily be divided into three parts. In the first part, Uthred receives a message to go to Chester on the other side of Northumbria and help relieve a siege of
Laura Tenfingers
Bloody fabulous! Completely formulaic, yes, but so amazing that it's no matter. Oaths, revenge quests, deceits, out-maneuverings, bloody confrontations and plenty of scathing commentary on the Church. Doesn't get better than this.

I was worried #11 might just be too much for me and maybe I'd be over it. Not even close.
Susan
This is the 11th book of the life of Uhtred of Bebbanburg. When I first started the book we were introduced to a little boy and now he is in his 60s. I absolutely love The Last Kingdom series. It has been truly a journey reading the tale of Uhtred of Bebbanburg. His quest, his success, his setbacks, fights, loves, friendships, enemies.

This is one of my favourite historical fiction series and Bernard Cornwell is one gifted author!

5 stars
Magic History
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bernard Cornwell’s War of the Wolf is the latest, but still not the final chapter of The Last Kingdom series. Uhtred is still riding against his enemies. He is now over sixty years old and a bit long in the tooth. Nevertheless, he’s still snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. I don’t think I’m giving away any spoilers by relating that.
It’s amazing that Cornwell can pull it off, but he does. The series never gets old. Cornwell makes allowances for his aging hero, putting him in the third
Clemens Schoonderwoert
This exciting book is the 11th volume of "the Last Kingdom" series, which is also one of my favourite TV-series, featuring Uhtred of Bebbanburg, from the highly acclaimed author Bernard Cornwell.
To read this story in a somewhat easier way the author has included and documented at the beginning of the book a list of Place Names, and there it also contains a well-drawn map of the areas which will play an important part in this tale.
At the end of the book you'll notice a very well defined and
Kathleen
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the 11th installment in Cornwell’s Saxon Kingdom series; and it is clearly one of his best. Uhtred of Bebbanburg is now over 60, and a savvy warrior to the bone. In this offering, Uhtred and his army fall for a ruse to keep him away from Northumbria. The Danish Norseman, Skoll then attacks Euferevic (York) in an attempt to become King of Northumbria. The city is able to fend him off, but not without sacrifice. The current King of Northumbria, Sigtryggr Ivarson, vows revenge—along with ...more
Lee Conley
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
War of the Wolf
By Bernard Cornwell

I am a big fan of Bernard Cornwell and I consider his Saxon series with Uhtred of Bebbanburg some of his best work. So, as soon as I heard about this next instalment, I immediately pre-ordered and eager awaited its arrival.

It was a pleasure to once again find myself immersed back into Cornwell’s world of Dark Age Britain. The book kicks off with Uhtred, Finan and his other warriors riding out from Bebbanburg to relieve a rebel siege on the burgh of Caester – the
Katy
Aug 30, 2018 marked it as physical_to-read_stack  ·  review of another edition
I received my copy free through Goodreads Giveaways.

My husband has been reading this series and is thrilled to see this book show up at our house. It may be a bit before I get my turn to read this one. He has loved this series, and it has been the most books he has read in years.
Nazzarena
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Uhtred never gets old.
Terri
review to come.....need to think...
Ron
Oct 08, 2018 rated it liked it
“The rumor was believed because truth is ever feeble against passionate falsehood.”

Bernard Cornwell is my favorite author of historical fiction, but he was off his game with this eleventh installment of his Saxon Stories. All the well-loved elements were there: skilled melding of fact and fiction, conflict, eucatastrophe all mediated by Uthred’s snarky inner voice.

“Bravery is overcoming fear,” I said. “and I don’t know how you do that. Duty helps a little, and not letting down your comrades
Amanda
Nov 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-on-paper
Less impressed with this book, then again just finished 3,500,000 words by Steven Erikson and that could make anything pale by comparison. Unfortunately there was some repetitive information in the beginning, as if readers really can't hold a thought longer than a few pages. Having just finished I find myself thinking, was that it?
So 4 stars in credit to past accomplishments and because, no matter what Bernard Cornwell writes a great book. Unfortunately my very, very high expectations weren't
Jo
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, historical
The series follows the violent, adventurous life of Uhtred of Bebbanburg (born a Saxon but raised a Dane). He had long dreamed of reclaiming Bebbanburg, the impregnable northern fortress treacherously taken from him by the uncle who sold him into slavery. Uhtred finally achieved that life goal in Flame Bearer and once again is lord of Bebbenburg.

I was a bit worried that this would be Uhtred's last adventure, as age has slowed this once lethal warrior. But it hasn"t dulled his instincts, hes

• The Blood of Rome (Eagle #17)
  • The Falcon of Sparta
  • Storm of Steel (The Bernicia Chronicles)
  • Baron's Crusade (Border Knight Book 8)
  • The Bloody Border (Border Knight #7)
  • Kemp: The Castle in the Marsh (Arrows of Albion Book 3)
  • Castilian Knight (Reconquista Chronicles #1)
  • To Murder A King (Struggle For A Crown #2)
  • Lord Edward's Archer
  • Uhtred the Bold: Earls of Northumbria Book 1
  • Tombland (Matthew Shardlake, #7)
  • Dunstan
  • The Raven and the Cross (Erik Haraldsson Book 2)
  • Henry III (Border Knight #6)
  • Shiang
  • The Savage Wilderness (New World Book 3)
  • Lancelot
  • King Henry IV (Struggle for a Crown Book 4)
Cornwell was born in London in 1944. His father was a Canadian airman, and his mother, who was English, a member of the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. He was adopted and brought up in Essex by the Wiggins family, who were members of the Peculiar People, a strict Protestant sect who banned frivolity of all kinds and even medicine. After he left them, he changed his name to his birth mother's maiden ...more

The Saxon Stories (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
  • The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Stories, #2)
  • Lords of the North (The Saxon Stories, #3)
  • Sword Song (The Saxon Stories, #4)
  • The Burning Land (The Saxon Stories, #5)
  • Death of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #6)
  • The Pagan Lord (The Saxon Stories, #7)
  • The Empty Throne (The Saxon Stories, #8)
  • Warriors of the Storm (The Saxon Stories, #9)
  • The Flame Bearer (The Saxon Stories, #10)
“Christians like to dream of the perfect world, a place where there is no fighting, where sword-blades are hammered into plowshares, and where the lion, whatever that is, sleeps with the lamb. It is a dream. There has always been war and there will always be war. So long as one man wants another man’s wife, or another man’s land, or another man’s cattle, or another man’s silver, so long will there be war. And so long as one priest preaches that his god is the only god or the better god there will be war.” 5 likes
“Truth is ever feeble against passionate falsehood.” 4 likes