Start by marking “Crown of Oblivion” as Want to Read:
Crown of Oblivion

Crown of Oblivion

Astrid is the surrogate for Princess Renya, which means she bears the physical punishment if Renya steps out of line. Astrid has no choice—she and her family are Outsiders, the lower class of people without magic and without citizenship.

But there is a way out of this life—competing in the deadly Race of Oblivion. To enter the race, an Outsider is administered t
Published November 12th 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Oblivion, please sign up.
Julie Eshbaugh Thank you so much for your enthusiasm for CROWN OF OBLIVION! I promise a summary will be posted soon! The book is still in the revisions process, but…moreThank you so much for your enthusiasm for CROWN OF OBLIVION! I promise a summary will be posted soon! The book is still in the revisions process, but I am SO EXCITED to share more!

Edit--The summary is posted!(less)
Julie Eshbaugh November 2019--and it looks like a summary has been posted!

Start your review of Crown of Oblivion
Becca Mee
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a thrilling, heart pounding race to its conclusion. The story centers on Astrid, who is a surrogate for Princess Reyna of Lanoria’s surrogate. Whenever the princess acts out, it’s Astrid who bears her punishment. In a desperate attempt to save the people she loves, Astrid joins the Race of Oblivion, the winner of which wok be granted full citizenship. As an Outsider, it’s the only hope for Astrid and her family to live better lives. The race is brutal, testing Astrid’s endurance as ...more
Kacie
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was a little skeptical at first to read Crown of Oblivion by Julie Eshbaugh because I’ve heard her other books are not amazing and it seemed kind of similar to The Hunger Games, but I was surprised that I did actually like this one. It was action-packed, intense, and exciting.
Astrid Jael is an Outsider working as a surrogate to princess Renya to help pay off her family’s debt. If Renya steps out of line, it is Astrid who gets punished. After a tragic incident, Astrid is determined to en
Christy
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
"But that wouldn’t remind Outsiders what we’re worth: the strength of our backs. Our resilience. Our ability to survive the hardest struggles, to be hurt, fall down, and still, to get back up again."

So much of this journey is focused on Astrid and the increasing political unrest her community faces. In a world of have and have-nots (but with powers!), the power dynamic is about to go through a shift thanks to one girl’s desire to better the situation her family is in.

"Enchanteds popping sweets into their mouths and pi
Jodi Meadows
Delightful!
Jennzah
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
this book was an epic thrill ride from beginning to end! i just stayed up til 2 am and fought off sleep to finish it -- it was THAT good. There's so many twists and turns! The only person you can trust is Astrid herself!

more to come when i'm fully awake. But this was SO GOOD. Read it! READ IT NOW!
Brianna Benton
This book reminds me of The Hunger Games meets The Amazing Race. The main character is actually a lot like Katniss if she had magic but a lot less sullen and is more open to friendship and teamwork. Needless to say I am absolutely loved this book. I really hope that it becomes a duology because I really want to know what happens with the characters next!

Read the full review on my blog!
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review on my blog Shades of Paper.

“For the winner, the Race of Oblivion means citizenship, but there’s only one winner each year- For many of the contestants, the race means death.”

I was so excited to read this book, because I thought the premise sounded so unique and cool, and like a concept I would totally love, and I have to say that I overall really enjoyed the book and found it incredibly fast paced and engaging, but I had some issues that made me lower my rating a little bi/>
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
With an enchanting blend of fantasy and dystopian, The Crown of Oblivion was a breath of fresh air.
Wholly entertaining with flairs of magic, espionage, and a race to the death, it was a story that kept me engaged and rapidly turning the pages.

If you want something a bit different without being wholly unique but still fresh and new enough to keep you engaged and entertained, I definitely recommend giving this a try. It truly held my attention and left me captivated until the ver
kelly {BookCrushin}
Aug 09, 2019 is currently reading it
Look at these preorder goodies (THAT PIN)! Get yours here.

Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Fantasy
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

Crown of Oblivion was sold as a standalone Young Adult Fantasy novel. Meet 17-year old Astrid Jael who is the story's protagonist. Astrid is indentured to the royal family as a surrogate to Princess Renya. Whenever Renya steps out of line, Astrid is the one who gets whipped. Astrid has no choice. She and her family are Outsiders, the lowest class of people, without magic or citizenship. In Lan
Leah
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a whirlwind of constant action, plot twists and magic! If you're a fan of The Amazing Race or, dare I say it, The Hunger Games, then you'll absolutely enjoy this!

Full review and blog tour stop at Write, Read, Repeat

The world is a bit odd, but somehow works. There are corn fields and tornado threats, pick-up trucks, Ferris wheels, castles, kings and queens and duke and duchesses, knights It took me about a quarter of the way through before I could get an idea of what it is
Louisa
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I enjoyed this book so much! So much action, such interesting characters! And the mysteries that they have to solve, but not always. Great read, and I wouldn't mind a sequel!
Jessie_Book
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun quick YA fantasy. Reading about the race is the best part. Its fun to read about how the characters get out of tough situations and their thought process behind it. Good book if you want a fantasy thats not to heavy with the lore.
Lucsbooks
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was one of the most positives surprises of the year. There was so much I loved in this story.

Lanoria reminded me a lot of Irelands' fight for independence mixed in with The Hunger Games, with OLA being really similar to the IRA in how they were fighting for freedom via terrorism. The world-building and the characters were incredibly complex and nuanced for a YA fantasy, even more for a standalone.

Julie excelled particularly at the rhythm in which she revealed Lanoria
Yna the Mood Reader
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

Much thanks to Harper Teen and The Fantastic Flying Book Club Book Tours for sending me a copy for review and for inviting me to be a part of this tour. This review is voluntary and opinions are fully my own. Also, all quotes are taken from the ARC and may or may not appear in the final published copy.

📚 Series: No, standalone.
📚 Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
📚 POV: First person.
📚 Cliffhanger: No.

⚠ Read if: you are looking for a fantasy that is slightly reminiscent of Hunger Games.

Crown of Oblivion is my first read from the author but it was surely
𝒱𝒾𝒸𝓉𝑜𝓇𝒾𝒶
I honestly don’t understand my feelings for this book. Lol. There were many feelings....

In nutshell, Astrid lives a horrible life and was offered a chance at freedom and safety against others like her in a competition called the Crown of Oblivion. Basically all you need to know...

So I have many positives, and many negatives. They basically cancelled each other out in the end.

So the positives. I will say that this story was fast-paced, and that oddly worked for this story. Astrids c
Taylor Fenner
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, ya, arcs, fantasy
Four years ago Astrid's brother Jayden ran away, escaping his indenture as the prince's surrogate. Astrid, Princess Renya's surrogate nearly died from the beating she took that night.

Now, with her father sick and needing medical attention and her younger brother depending on her, Astrid is thisclose to getting the King's decree allowing her father to get the treatment he needs.

But when tragedy strikes, Astrid is pushed to enter the Race of Oblivion, a life-or-death danger
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Eh...no a huge fan of the cover.
Unrelated the character's outfit totally reminds me of Rey lol
Caitlin
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While it may have taken me a while to actually find the time to sit down to read more than just a couple pages at a time at the start, once I made time in my hectic schedule I finished this book in less than two days!

Crown of Oblivion was such a great read filled with twists and turns that kept me wanting to read more. I stayed up until nearly 1:30 am to be able to find out what would happen next! Astrid was such a strong heroine that never gave up even in the darkest of moments. If
Taschima
Crown of Oblivion is trying really hard to be the new HUNGER GAMES, only without the actual intrigue, world building, and romance. On the other hand, it is JAM PACKED with action as it is essentially a bloody scavenger hunt, and our MC is a complicated character who has no qualms about essentially doing everything she needs to do in order to win.

The rest of this review is full of spoilers cause I just can't be chill.

(view spoiler) ...more
Celia McMahon
Oct 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for the e-arc.

Well, I mean, this one started well enough. It had one of those EMBER IN THE ASHES openings where you are thrust right into the action with mystery and superb world-building. And then it dived and left me confused.

The world is sort of like a dystopian-like RED QUEEN world where we have tech and magic coexisting. I can deal with that. But this book left so many things unanswered; it felt like it was rushing along a little too qui
Olivia
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-reviews
Engrossing and completely thrilling, CROWN OF OBLIVION is a fantastic new YA fantasy that I highly recommend. Dealing with themes including social injustice, health care inequality, and citizenship lotteries, this book is quite the read. In a world where people are separated by their birth into Enchanteds and Outsiders (upper and lower class respectively), Astrid is an Outsider. When her mother died, she also took on some of her indentured time, which is typically twenty years (to start, time ca ...more
Elizabeth
Lily (latestreads)
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
*Thank you to Edelweiss and Harper Collins for providing me with an ARC of this book. Some parts may have been changed as I did not read the final book. Please know that all of the expressed thoughts are my honest opinions.

Crown of Oblivion by Julie Eshbaugh is a thrilling, edge-of-your-seat, up-all-night kind of book! It has the Hunger Games-like setting and danger and the Caraval-like clues: vague and open to lots of different interpretations.

Crown of Obliv
Amelia Phelps
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a advanced readers edition of this book. After completing it, and loving it, I believe this book is a book everyone should pre-order.
Julie
Jul 06, 2019 added it
good story of finding onself and helping a country...all in the name of a race.
Ceres95
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Astrid is the substitute for Princess Renia, when the latter disobeyed it is Astrid who receives the lashes. And I might as well tell you that Princess Renia is not a very wise child. The royal family has magical powers and so do the nobles, but the people do not. The only way to be free is to do your years of service with people with powers. In order to save her family, Astrid entered a race to win the crown of Oblivion and become a citizen. The participants in this race all receive a dose of O ...more
Jessica Chillcott
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much, I finished it in a day. The world, the characters and everything else just sucked me in and I couldn’t want to find out what happened.

I won an ARC of this.
Kirsten
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2019
Impossible not to race through this fast-paced YA fantasy. Full of danger, adventure, interesting settings and checkpoints, sensory magic, a (bitter)sweet romance, and characters you’re not sure if you can trust, you find yourself cheering for Astrid as she navigates the Race of Oblivion and her memories that are starting to return.
Fanna
Oct 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Everyone is saying it's inspired by The Hunger Games and...that just makes me all the more excited to read this one.

• Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Sisters of Shadow and Light (Sisters of Shadow and Light, #1)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • Winterwood
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Memory Thief
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Find Me Their Bones (Bring Me Their Hearts, #2)
  • Lifestyles of Gods and Monsters
  • Angel Mage
  • The Lady Rogue
  • I Hope You Get This Message
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
Julie Eshbaugh is a YA writer and former filmmaker. She made two short films and then spent several years producing an online video series for teens which received several honors from the Webby Awards. Her new YA fantasy standalone, CROWN OF OBLIVION, is coming from HarperTeen November 2019. IVORY AND BONE (HarperTeen 2016) and OBSIDIAN AND STARS (HarperTeen 2017), her prehistoric fantasy duology, ...more
“I bite my lips between my teeth to hold them still. And remind myself what courage really is. Not the lack of fear, but action in the face of fear. And not selfish action either, but action taken in love.” 5 likes
“If I told you monsters could be tamed, would you want to live with monsters? Even a tame monster is still a monster.” 2 likes