Start by marking “Where is the Green Sheep?” as Want to Read:
Where is the Green Sheep?

Where is the Green Sheep?

Here is the blue sheep, and here is the red sheep. Here is the bath sheep, and here is the bed sheep. But where is the green sheep? Mem Fox and Judy Horacek take you on a wildly wonderful adventure in their rollicking search for the green sheep.
Board book, 32 pages
Published September 1st 2007 by Not Avail (first published 2004)

Suzanne
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is just the right amount of rhyme and story for my youngest family member. Not too hard for him to grasp (he doesn't sit still for long, ever!) and the illustrations are eye catching as well, this is so important at his age if I'm to have any smidgen of success in engaging him with reading. I read this before bed last night, and there were a couple of funny comments from Indy that I'm disappointed I did not take note of. I'll read it again tomorrow to see if I can recreate the funny. The sh ...more
Kelly
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When you're an adult, a read-through of this book might seem boring and pointless. You're looking for a green sheep - you've never seen the green sheep before. He's not even on the cover. Why should you care? All these other sheep in here doing lots of things that sheep you've seen before never do. Distractions. Where is the bloody green sheep? Why is this book so popular?

Just add a toddler. Get them to 'read it' to you. This - THIS - is where this book becomes an instant all time favourite.
'W
Rossy
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Near sheep is so cute!
But I wonder, why are we looking for the green sheep? Is something happening? This is a mystery book!
Kaethe
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sheep
1/1/2004I dearly love Fox's work, but this one came too late to grab us; we were already past sleepy-time books before we ever saw it. 888 I like sheep in real life*, as well as in this book. These are some unspeakably cute sheep.

Library copy.

*I once had a pet lamb, named Kersey. She had croup, and her mother wouldn't look after her, so I took her home and fed her from a bottle, and made her a croup tent, and then, when she recovered, she spent her days in the back yard playing with the dog. Wh
April Thompson
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Of all the sheep, I'm definitely the bed sheep.
Maxwell Rae
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Where is that pesky green sheep? I liked the pictures in this book, they were nice and bright though some of the rhymes were a tongue twister for mummy.
Andy
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: oliver, illustrated
I got this for my 1 yr old who has shown far less interest in books than his big brother did. We were off on holiday and I felt he needed something for the flight. Turns out we've just been giving him the wrong books.

He loves it, points and grunts at it, says 'book' at bed time, naps and whenever else he sees it. He likes pointing at the sheep and especially loves the 'near sheep' page. We read Goodnight Moon every night for 8 bloody months to my oldest but I'm finding this far more enjoyable.

T
Julie
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Our Library bought the big book version to use for story times. It was on the new materials truck that I processed yesterday. Of all the books on the truck, this one caught my attention. Indeed, so much so that I ended up reading it out loud to my work colleagues at the Circulation Desk! We truly got into the spirit of the book which encourages interaction. The Desk resounded with, "Where is the green sheep?" until he was discovered at the end of the tale! The illustrations are just lovely. I ne ...more
Dianna
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The more Mem Fox I read, the more I appreciate her talent. This book is no exception. She really knows how to write for children. Every time the text asked, "But where is the green sheep?" my son answered. I always forget how much he likes to be involved in things, but Mem Fox doesn't forget.
Julie
I love the pen and watercolor illustrations of the sheep, who have such whimsical, joyous expressions. The story conveys lots of concepts for young readers - colors, opposites (the "up" sheep and the "down" sheep being blasted from a circus cannon), and rhymes (also at the circus, the "band" sheep, playing 4 instruments at once, and the juggling "clown" sheep). But where is that elusive green sheep? Children (and adults) will race to the end to find out. A School Library Journal Top 100 picture ...more
Meredith
Where is the green sheep? Readers encounter dozens of sheep of all colors with a variety of abilities engaged in different activities as they search for the green sheep who is nowhere to be found until the final page when the mystery of her whereabouts is solved.

This sweet little board book has simple text and bright joyful illustrations. It also teaches colors and opposites as it takes young reader on a sheep hunt.
Anna
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is simply delightful. It is a pleasure to read aloud thanks to the simple language and easy use of rhymes with the repeated refrain of 'But where is the green sheep?'. The illustrations are a joy, well-suited to the text and bringing a great deal of humour. My two-year-old loves it, and I predict I'll be reading this many times, but I don't think I'll get sick of it any time soon.
Anna Hamilton
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I feel the character development is there for everyone except the green sheep. Why is he sleeping under the bush? And why isn't he brave or a star or near? Why just green?

Great story arc though. And yes I'm cheating in my reading challenge but YOU try committing to and completing 25 novels with a new born.
Kimberly
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am very fond of this book. Used for the Under Three Jamboree at work, and many many readings on the living room floor with my kiddo. This one is a keeper!
Sarah Sammis
Nov 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Where Is the Green Sheep? is picture book by Australian author Mem Fox. The last book of hers I read was Possum Magic when I was a new Mom and a new member of BookCrossing. It was part of a bookring. In the years between I'd pretty much forgotten about her books until a number of random sources recommended Where is the Green Sheep? to me and my children.

On numerous recommendations I checked out a copy of Where is the Green Sheep? from our library. Sean read it to himself and I read it to Harriet
Heidi-Marie
Brian Lofton
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific book, which introduces the reader to different colored sheep involved in different catchy activities.

Every couple pages after observing the other sheep we are asked, "But where is the green sheep?" It isn't until the end of the book that we find "There she is... she's fast asleep."

With lovely rhymes and lovely images, this one is guaranteed to put you and baby into a peaceful, and hopefully nap-ready mood. Definitely worth owning.

Libby
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
I seriously know this book off by heart, my beautiful daughter, who also happens to have autism, is a stickler for routine and we read this book every night before bed. It has helped her to learn opposites and colors and was one of the first books that she was ever interested in actually hearing me read (as opposed to just turning the pages and pointing to the pictures). Thank you Mem Fox!
Anna Johnson
I use this book as a focus on repetitive reading. After the story line "Where is the green sheep?" we incorporate a story line for the children to repeat, "I don't know." The book is also a good use for teaching opposites with illustrations that feature the sheep and catchy lines. EX. Here is the wide sheep and here is the thin sheep.
Jody
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read ad nauseum to my sweet girl when she was around two, and we never got tired of it. It probably doesn't hurt that I love sheep! But it's quirky & adorable and we both love it.
Christine Meunier
A colourful, simple read for kids that explores the concept of opposites and colours. Rhymes, too :)
Leo
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Great story about the green sheep that was sleeping. I translated it to Spanish (donde esta la oveja verde)and used it on my bilingual storytime.
Vorbis
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
They released an edition of this that comes with an actual green fluffy sheep who is possibly the most adorable thing I have ever stolen off a three year old.
Nej Bint
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
fascinating mystery/thriller takes you on a journey through the land of sheep to discover the location of, perhaps, the most interesting character ever written (green sheep)
Mairead
Gift from Hanna, Georgia, and Alex! Delightful. PS #teambathsheep and/or #teamrainsheep.
Suzanne
Mar 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read aloud, although it gets kinda hard to keep saying "sheep." I wondered throughout "Am I being tricked into cursing like Fox in Socks?" but there were no vocabulary malfunctions.
Angela Maher
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is one of my toddler's favourite books. Cute illustrations of all sorts of sheep, and some good rhyming and rhythm of words.
Claire Waldron-Gross
This has been a hit at my preschool and toddler visits. The rhyme kind of gets lost because each page is an opportunity to ask the children to identify something in the illustration. Once we've done that, I read the line. After each quartet of "this is the ___ sheep," I ask them what sheep we're looking for. They answer, and then we all say the repeated line together: "Where is the green sheep?" There's a lot to notice on each page, but at the same time it's simple enough to work with younger gr ...more
Angela
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used this one at toddler storytime today. It didn't get as great a reaction as I hoped, but that's probably more due to the age of the audience than a fault with the book itself. I tried to get the kids to repeat, "Where is the green sheep?" every time it came up... but I think I had more parents saying it than kids! I think it might just be a little bit too long for 2- and 3- year-olds; I could tell their attention was starting to wander by the end. Oh well, live and learn! Maybe I'll try it ...more
Mama Bibliosoph
Different pairs of complementary sheep (blue/red, bath/bed, swing/slide, up/down, near/far, wide/thin, and many more) are shown in this simple repetitive language book. Here is the W sheep, and here is the X sheep. Here is the Y sheep. And here is the Z sheep. But where is the green sheep? This structure repeats over and over again until the green sheep is finally found fast asleep on the final page.

This is mostly a great opposites vocabulary building book, but I also think of it as a color book
  • Lemons Are Not Red
  • Clip-Clop
  • Hello, Day!
  • Blue Goose
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Monkey And Me
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • I'm Not Cute!
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Pouch!
  • Under My Hood I Have a Hat
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
Mem Fox was born in Australia, grew up in Africa, studied drama in England, and returned to Adelaide, Australia in 1970, where she has lived with her husband, Malcolm, and daughter Chloë, happily ever after.

Mem Fox is Australia’s most highly regarded picture-book author. Her first book, Possum Magic, is the best selling children’s book ever in Australia, with sales of over three million. And in th