Start by marking “The Wrong Girl” as Want to Read:
The Wrong Girl

The Wrong Girl

(Return to Fear Street #2)

Published September 25th 2018 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Wrong Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wrong Girl

Wolverinefactor
Oct 08, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow...

What a hot mess.

The pranks (outside of the first one) are beyond ridiculous and I don’t see anyone thinking they were good ideas.

It takes 2/3 to get going and no one dies until the last 40 pages.

The reveal of the killer is in the last 5 pages and it’s so obvious and done in such an absurd manner that I just don’t know what Stine was going for here. The book just ends, no real resolution just this is the killer BYE
Paula Brandon
This felt a lot like a Fear Street book of old, with no supernatural elements, short chapters with dumb cliffhanger endings, and thinly drawn characters in a fast moving plot. But that's about all the good things you can say about it. This really wasn't a very good book. The plot description given on the jacket is basically a spoiler. The first half is taken up with the various zzzz pranks that Poppy Miller and her friends play after trouble-making new student Jack Sabers becomes part of their g ...more
Lexie
Oct 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Kia
Oct 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
This has to be one of the dumbest books I've ever read. None of it made any sense, and the characters were all ridiculous and incompetent. I keep hoping this series will get better, but it seems to be getting worse.
Sasha Gibson
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I wanted to love this book, not because Stine and fear street are known for their literary prowess, but because these books are fun, quick easy reads that are usually at least a good story.

BUT, the POV character for 90% of the book, Poppy, is completely insufferable. “Oh I’m not the best actress so Rose must be the antichrist”. “Oh Keith is very cute, very nice, but SUCH a bore, time to fuck off with this guy Jack who I have nothing in common with, guess I’ll change my whole personal
pdbkwm
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a Fear or a Goode to show up, so I was surprised that this story didn't have any of that. The synopsis mentions that Poppy's friends keep dying, but that doesn't start to happen until a little over half way into the novel. I was expecting a Scream situation, but I was pleasantly surprised with how R.L. Stine worked his way into the main plot.

Like the rest of the novels in this series, the ending reveal happened abruptly, but unlike the others this one had a better flo
Mindea
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018, own
I can't seem to help myself with these books. They just remind me of my childhood. I can't say they're "great books" but they are fun! Easy quick reads that are pretty easy to figure out what is going on.

Poppy and her friends are bored. While at the mall one day they run into Jack. He wants to pull a prank on his old boss and they are all for it. They decide to form a group that pulls pranks and it's all fun and games until the pranks start to go horribly wrong. What is going on? Why
Mandy
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one! I loved how it was a modern story but had hints of the original Fear Street novels! The story itself was really interesting and kept me guessing until the end, total page turner! I can't wait for the next one!
Melissa
Mar 23, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So I guess the moral of the story is (view spoiler) This book had potential, I kept hoping it would be an updated Heathers, but it just let me down.
Mel
Dec 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
TW: Cutting, mental illness.

What the what? I have so many questions. Soooo...
OK. You're in high school. You, your boo, and your group of friends don't have a lot to do in the town you live in. It's boring. Although the protagonist had a love of a acting. Her bestie, modeling.
Your group of friends consist of:
Ivy: Bestie. Vapid, pretty ginger hair that we hear about far too often. She is booed up with a guy named Jeremy who is allergic to everything under the sun.
Man
Andrea
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow...there's reason why this book's overall rating is 3 out of 5 (as of 10/20/2018). This was bad, this was really bad. Too much exposition, and the killer reveal did not make sense and it was rushed AF. I mean the killer wasn't revealed until the last 5 pages of the book. THE LAST 5 PAGES!!! And it wasn't like a cliffhanger or anything it was killer revealed, all is well, the end. WTF??? Not good at all. 1 out of 5 :(
Hew J France
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
While I REALLY enjoyed this story, it did suffer from what I considered to be one major flaw: all of the horror happens in the last 100 pages, and there isn't much to it. Story wise, a great entry from Stine. Horror wise... not one of his scariest.
Nikki
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I actually liked this one more than the first book in the series. Fear Street books are campy corny fun and always seem to end very abruptly with the killer confessing in like the last two pages, with hardly any explanation, but they bring me back to a time when the only thing I had to worry about was doing homework.
Nicole
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Little disappointed with this one, because I thought You May Now Kill the Bride was great and I wanted another book like that.
Heather
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
(This review will be on my blog All the Ups and Downs soon.)

I've always been a huge fan of R.L. Stine. I grew up with all of his books especially the original Fear Street series, so when I heard Stine had released a Return to Fear Street series, I knew I had to read it. I loved You May Now Kill the Bride, the first book in the series. However, The Wrong Girl was not very good.

The pacing for The Wrong Girl was incredibly slow save for a few chapters where it actually sped up to
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

“You picked the wrong girl to do this to!” I screamed. “The wrong girl. I’m warning you! I’m warning you now. I’ll pay every one of you back!”

I gotta say, this book grabbed my right from the start.

My name is Poppy Miller, and I am not a criminal.

Alright, tell me more! Lol. I am really loving this new Fear Street series, I gotta tell you. I really enjoyed this book! And I really loved the writing—R.L. Stine has a way with words. It was kind of interactive in a way, almos/>/>“You
Dec 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
trigger warnings: self-harm; mention of suicide; death of an animal

wow this was um....kind of garbage? Poppy was the most awful character I have ever read. Actually...all of them were awful. and wtf are those "pranks"? Staging a car wreck and then blowing up the cars? Faking a murder to "get back" at Poppy??? Like...wtf? And all of the "my life is RUINED" crap when they have to like, have consequences for their terrible life decisions. And even those consequences aren't that bad considerin
Alex
Jan 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Yikes, this was bad.

Had I not enjoyed the first "Return to Fear Street" book so much, I probably wouldn't have had such high expectations for this one. After all, the Fear Street Relaunch series from a few years back was pretty awful, but the novelty of having new Fear Street stories after all these years completely overshadowed those feelings. So of course I was really excited about this new revival series, plus the first book really was a lot of fun, so I expected a lot more from this one.

Fi
Mackenzie
I find it surprising that this is written by R.L. Stine. I've read many of his books throughout the years and this one definitely fell short and left something to be desired.

However, I do want to defend the pranks that occurred throughout the novel. I've seen a lot of people mention that they are unrealistic but in the modern world I don't think the pranks described are too far fetched at all. Unfortunately, recent pranks that gain popularity in the media are often dangerous, reckles
Nicole Wagner
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Return to Fear Street!

When I was 11-12 years old, I lived in a HUD housing project with my mom, and the Bookmobile came on Thursday afternoons. It was a big van packed with books, and it was part of the local library organization, so I could borrow at will. The chapter books were all the way at the back, and the smell of idling diesel engine mixed with humid paper as I browsed series like Babysitters' Club, Saddle Club, Sweet Valley High, and FEAR STREET!

Fear Street was the step up from the oh
Anna Lato
Actual Rating: 2.7

I felt like this book was about average and nothing about it screamed spectacular. I have no problem with the author, I quite enjoy many of his books, but I felt that the story took a bit too long to really get that interesting. Part one could have either been written shorter, or the other parts could have been expanded upon.

I felt that Poppy (the main character) was a bit unlikable for me just because of how she treated others sometimes. One part that m
Billy
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After reading You May Now Kill The Bride, my expectations were a bit high for The Wrong Girl, so maybe that's why I feel a little bit disappointed with it. The story is written well, but there's no horror aspect to it. The plot involves some bored teenagers pulling some pranks. Yes, it's more realistic, but it doesn't feel like a Fear Street novel. All of the characters are boring with very little depth to them.

Overall, Return To Fear Street: The Wrong Girl is hands down the worst entry in the
Abby
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fear Street was always one of my favorite book series as a kid so I was totally into the idea of R.L. Stine revisiting that old haunt. The first Return to Fear Street book was new and different from what I was familiar with from my youth, but a fun story that kept me interested. This story just did not measure up. The character development was thin, the plot felt flat and a little aimless, and the ending was really (I am so sorry, R.L. Stine, I love you) stupid. I would probably recommend any ot ...more
Melyssa Winchester
Not one of the scariest books I've read in my years reading this author, but I'll take it.
I read the paperback version of this, in an hour. It was a very quick read. Most of the real action takes place in the latter end of the story, but the beginning part did what it was supposed to.
I definitely got an original Fear Street vibe diving into this one, and I'm interested in reading more in this series. It's been years since I've read a book by R.L. Stine, but it's like picking up where I left of
Nevaeh
Oct 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Wrong Girl" by R.L. Stine is a Fear Street novel for teen readers. This book is far by the most stunning book it has so many questions and unbelievable pranks. But to be completely honest non of the pranks every really go as planned. Never trust anybody not even Poppys closest friends. You will be shocked on who was the bad boy or girl in the end, be ready for a scare because you will never be prepared.
(This book maybe inappropriate for younger readers.)
Jazmine
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has a beautiful cover. It's written like his earlier books but not as much as a thriller. I enjoyed it. Only the second half is really about the murders. The synopsis on the book applies to parts 3-4. It's written on multi perspective, which I like, definitely should have been used more (Ivy, Jeremy, Manny but not Keith after the break up). And I would have loved go see Jack's perspective. I'm disappointed I'm the cliffhanger also, it's not as shocking as his other books.
Alex Lane
Jul 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There was a lot of unnecessary scenes in this book. The pranks aren’t that exciting, and are barely relevant. The killer is obvious before anyone is even dead, although the motivation for the murders are never properly established. The reveal is covered in the last handful of pages, and reads like an old murder mystery TV show that needs to wrap up before the news starts.
Natasha
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
The characters are all too juvenile, whiney, self-absorbed and naive. I love R.L. Stine's Fear Street books and The Babysitter books. I liked You May Now Kill the Bride so of course I had to read this one. It's a big fat NO from me. The characters or children as I should call them, were all unlikable. I almost stopped reading 1/4 of the way through.
Ryan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wrong Girl is really a mystery book. There are so many red herrings and a pressing "whodunit" vibe to the entire novel. I was eventually able to sort through these to find the killer before the end. But what a great mystery! There also plenty of chills as each character is offed in a unique way.
Rebecca Willson
Meh 🤷🏻♀

I love me some R. L. Stone, but I just didn’t like this one. It took too long to get into the prank and then felt waaaay too rushed at the end. The killer was revealed 2 pages before the end and no real explanation other than, “I wanted to kill you all!” Too easy. I wanted some deep down dirty deets!

• House Arrest (Joe DeMarco #13)
  • Ethnic Groups in Conflict, Updated Edition With a New Preface
  • Return on Character: The Real Reason Leaders and Their Companies Win
  • The Control Revolution: Technological and Economic Origins of the Information Society
  • Diary of a Girl Next Door: Betty
  • Mabon: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for the Autumn Equinox
  • The Power of Servant Leadership
  • Beltane: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for May Day
  • Gris Grimly's Tales from the Brothers Grimm
  • Escape (Horrorscape, #4)

R. L. S

Return to Fear Street (3 books)
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Return to Fear Street, #1)
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous (Return to Fear Street, #3)