Start by marking “Five Days of Fog” as Want to Read:
Five Days of Fog

Five Days of Fog

London, December, 1952. At the beginning of what will come to be known as the Great Smog, Ruby Palmer waits to be released from prison.

At home her daughter, Florrie, also waits, knowing that the moment her mother returns she herself will face a choice: stay where she is, in the heart of her matriarchial and criminal family, or leave it all to make a safer, duller life with

Published November 15th 2018 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson

To ask other readers questions about Five Days of Fog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Days of Fog

Lisa
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just the setting of the book is an excellent choice - the great smog of London in 1952 - straight away a sense of imminent danger, skulduggery and suffocation is evoked.

We meet Florrie Palmer, a seventeen year old girl born into a criminal gang run by women who are also her family, but she has fallen in love and wants to go straight - how will she tell them and how will they take it?
We are then introduced to the rest of her family:- her mother Ruby who has spent two years in prison and is due
Lisa
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
This book was so damn interesting. A booktuber I follow described this story as being if Peaky Blinders were set in London and were females. As soon as she used Peaky Blinders to describe it I knew I had to add it to my TBR as I'm such a fan of the show.

This story takes place over the course of 5 days during the Great Smog, which occurred in London in December of 1952. It follows a female gang called the Cutters and, in particular, seventeen-year-old Florrie, whose mother, Ruby, the n
Abigail Tarttelin
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fog descends on a London just out of wartime, a leadership feud stirs disquiet in a gang of female thieves, and the girl who might inherit the bloody crown falls in love with a good boy. But will she be allowed to walk away, or do all women who stand up for themselves have a price to pay? A cinematic, roguish, and utterly entertaining page-turner by the queen of feisty historical women. Goes down in one jewel-fisted slug.
Rhian Pritchard
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I honestly wasn’t sure how I was going to feel about this book even when I was about a hundred pages in. It’s hard to go in without expectations, especially when you know the writer, and it’s SO different from The Fair Fight (which I ADORED)... I don’t know. It was good though, once I got into it and settled into the characters - who I did not HAVE to like, after all, at least until they got their shit together - I read in chunks as long as lunch breaks and commutes allowed! Definitely an intere ...more
cenninsbookreviews aka Book Dragon Queen
Full of suspense. It makes a change that its females that are in criminal gangs rather than it being males all the time. It's almost who or what's going to win
Thank you to Orion Publishing Group and netgalley from giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest unbiased review.
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in 1952 this book covers just 5 days of the time an almighty smog descends on London. Based on the real-life air-pollution event of that year, when an anticyclone pushed down all the smoke and pollution, creating a dangerous and poisonous smog. Severely reducing visibility and harming to health for many.
It follows The Cutter family a gang of criminals living in London. The focus is on the women, all strong and larger than life, living within a family with a strong hierarchy.
Ruby the current
Linsey
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this! It was such an addicting read! I also love how Anna Freeman plays with expectations. Every time I think a character will die she lets them live. I loved this family drama with badass criminal women. I loved how most of the characters were morally ambiguous. I especially loved Ruby and Maggie. So much love for each other but they were also terrible people in many ways. The parts when Ruby thought about her motherly love for Florrie made me cry. Very touching.

And all the historical
Louise
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brian
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
One of those books which draws you in enough to keep reading but does not capture you. The thing I found most novel was the 'fog' itself. I am old enough to have experienced the smog conditions caused by millions of coal fires belching out smoke in a large city (Belfast). It really could be grim. Historical setting was good.
The novel starts with the fog's arrival and ends with it's departure. I found the characters and their relationships and dialogue unconvincing - something like an Eastenders
Angie
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A compulsive read. “Five Days Of Fog” is a vividly told tale of the antics of a female criminal gang during the Great Smog of London. The characters are vibrant and relatable, and the plot unfolds beautifully. Thoroughly enjoyed it! The Author’s Note at the end is extremely interesting, detailing additional resources used in the course of her clearly extensive and meticulous research.
Bernice
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Story takes place over the five days of the great smog of London in 1952. It’s based on the true story of an all female crime syndicate operating at the time. An original and entertaining read, with an engaging protagonist: Florrie, despite being the daughter of the gang’s reigning queen, has a yearning to go straight.
Zoe
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Orion Publishing Group for this review copy in exchange for honest review.

Anna FReeman is a master of her craft. To make this a unique, eye opening, and action packed novel for a five day period. Loved the characters, the sense of being in the fog it was so well described, and the high fever pitch of suspense.
Jamie Horan
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story, captures claustrophobia of the smog very well.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully atmospheric book telling the story of Florrie and her criminal family in 1950's London. Florrie is on the cusp of making a decision; should she stay in the all female gang that her mother runs and enjoy a life of excitement and good times, or should she cut the family ties and settle down to a quiet and honest life with the man that she loves? Very much a character driven book the relationships between the key women in this all female gang are explored and picked apart. No- ...more
Paula
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book, sometimes there were so many characters that it became a little confusing and whilst it was set in the 50s, for some reason the image building in my head as I read it was slightly earlier. Characters are good though and it’s well written to the extent that I really felt for those whose lives were being controlled by others.
PAM T
Jan 24, 2019
David
Jan 09, 2019
Jill Adams
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am currently purchasing books for our secondary school library for our senior students. I am trying to provide a balance of genres and periods and really try and introduce them to a wide range of modern fiction. This book would definitely go down well with a hypercritical teenage audience as it has a bit of everything - great characterisation and a narrative style that draws you in and keeps you reading whilst also making you think about a wide range of issues at the same time. I think that sc ...more
Brittany Farrell
  • Netið
  • Little Eve
  • The Jesus Sutras: Rediscovering the Lost Scrolls of Taoist Christianity
  • All Among The Barley
  • Rescue Your Love Life: Changing Those Dumb Attitudes & Behaviors That Will Sink Your Marriage
  • The Doll Factory
  • Our Souls to Keep (Our Souls to Keep, #1)
  • The Shelf Life of Ashes: A Memoir
  • The Chance (C Series, #4)
Anna Freeman is a lecturer in Creative Writing at Bath Spa University as well as a multiple slam-winning performance poet who has appeared at festivals across Britain including Latitude and Glastonbury. She lives in Bristol. The Fair Fight is her first novel.