Start by marking “The Queen of All Crows” as Want to Read:
The Queen of All Crows

The Queen of All Crows

(The Map of Unknown Things #1)

"The year is 2012. The nations of the world are bound together in an alliance of collective security, overseen by the International Patent Office, and its ruthless stranglehold on technology.
When airships start disappearing in the middle of the Atlantic, the Patent Office is desperate to discover what has happened. Forbidden to operate beyond the territorial waters of mem
Published January 4th 2018 by Angry Robot (first published January 2nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen of All Crows, please sign up.
Rod Duncan Thanks for the question. Goodreads did not alert me to it, so please forgive me if you have been waiting long for an answer.

Yes, this series does fol…more

Yes, this series does follow on from the Fall of the Gas-Lit Empire trilogy. It is set in the same world. There is an overlap of characters. Some reviewers have commented that you will get a slightly richer experience if you read those books first. But this is the beginning of a new trilogy, so it is designed as a jumping-on point for new readers. You can start here without reading what has gone before and everything should be clear.
(less)

Start your review of The Queen of All Crows
Richard Derus
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
It is not necessary to read the first trilogy featuring Elizabeth Barnabus to appreciate this novel. It would add incalculably to your pleasure in the read, but it isn't necessary.

The plot picks up where The Custodian of Marvels leaves off. Julia has vanished after embarking for America, there to join her hard-won happiness with husband Richard in his law firm's Patent-law practice there. Julia will make herself a new life by studying Patent law at Columbia University. All of that struggle and f
Realms & Robots
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Queen of All Crows takes us to a modern day free of modern technology, following the story of a woman who will stop at nothing to discover the truth behind a massive government coverup. It’s a brilliant fantasy novel, complete with a compelling alternate history, strange technology teetering between antiquated and modern, and a main character you’ll be eager to keep up with. It’s a book to be loved and devoured quickly.

NOTE: I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange f
Online Eccentric Librarian
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, au

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Some authors really find a groove in their series where each new book is more enjoyable than the last. But Rod Duncan has done even better with The Queen Of All Crows: he's taken the Gas Lit Empire series into a completely new direction that is both wonderful and wondrous. Gone are the canals and dirty London streets, now replaced with high seas adventures with female pirates and fantastical new weapons. As well, The
Louise
4 Stars

I love Elizabeth so much. Sad that I now have to wait again for the next book to come out. Also, I need more John Farthing next time. Just saying.
Jan
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review

Brilliant world-building, a fascinating protagonist, and a gripping story line!

The Queen of All Crows begins a little while after the events of the first trilogy in Duncan's alternative history that branched off from our own some 200 years ago (while this book can be read on its own, I would thoroughly recommend reading the most excellent trilogy that preceded it - The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter, Unseemly Science, and The
Lynn Williams
3.5 of 5 stars
The Queen of All Crows is a difficult book for me to review. I did struggle a little to get through it but in fairness to the book and the author I think that’s down to me and not the book – hence why I’m having difficulties putting my thoughts down. On the face of it this story has so many elements that I was excited about. A gaslit empire with airships, a female who isn’t afraid to forge herself a place in a world where women are restricted
Sara Codair
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
Queen of All Crows

When my request Queen of All Crows was approved on NetGalley, I was thrilled to hear that the wait to see what happened with Elizabeth Barnabus and John Farthing would be over. However, my experience reading the newest story in the world of the Gas-Lit Empire was a little different than it was last year. It is impossible to review without touching on how gender is portrayed in it.

Now, I’m more open about my gender identity, and am more engaged in conversations about gender and
Teresa
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
So pleased that Elizabeth is still scrambling her way through life in this alternate history, this time on the high seas. Lots happening- adventure, action, twists, new characters, and thought provoking situations. This world is so well built and and clearly described that I will recognize it immediately if I should stumble into it somehow someday.
ROB HAIN
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great follow-up to the Gas-Lit trilogy Rod. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Daniel
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 5.0 of 5

Rod Duncan's earlier book, The Bullet-Catcher's Daughter, was one of the most powerful books I'd read in a long time. The follow-up books were just as strong and just like that Rod Duncan became one of my most eagerly-anticipated authors.

The Queen of All Crows continues with the same core set of characters as the Gas-Lit Empire series but moves away from the gritty steampunk London and takes adventure to the high seas. Bu
Dgordon
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's 2012 and Elizabeth Barnabus is now a spy for the Patent Office, this alternate universe story
is a new edition to the world of the Gas-Lit Empire that Rod Duncan established in three previous
books. Fast paced, action packed, female pirates, airships being shot from the sky, what could be
better? This might be the best book in this series and I look forward to the next installment by
the author.
Mike
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 out of 5 stars

My thanks to Edelweiss and the publisher for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

Fresh off her battle with the International Patent Court, Elizabeth Barnabus finds herself working on behalf of that very organization that brought her so much trouble in the past. She sets sail to investigate the disappearance of an airship that went down in the Atlantic.

The concept of the worldwide alliance that maintains world peace at the cost of technological advancement c
Katherine Hetzel
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the world of the Gas-Lit Empire. And the first in this new trilogy, following Elizabeth in her new role as a spy for the Patent Office, did not disappoint.

This time, we take to the seas, and although the story begins with Elizabeth disguised as a man - which served her so well in the Fall of the Gas Lit Empire - she spends much of this adventure forced to remain her true self in an all-female world, while standing against the male dominated world with which she's so familiar when disguise
Tricia
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, audio
Audio. Elizabeth Barnabas sets off on a completely different adventure, if that is the right word. Acting as a covert agent for the all powerful Patent Office, her former nemesis, she undertakes an investigation that requires all her skills - and some she needs to acquire along the way.

Not quite as pacy as the previous series, Elizabeth needs to rely more on her mental acuity rather than sleight of hand which is a nicely handled development. She grows much as a character, along with a couple of
J.D. DeHart
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reads as a kind of alternative history, with many elements mixing into the fictional account. There is a protagonist who drives the narrative and enough detail to make the story believable...even more so than I find common in fantasy and science fiction.

The first of a series, I will be curious to see where the rest of this storyline goes. I am glad, as a fan of sci-fi and fantasy, I gave this book a chance and I am sure other readers would feel the same. Rod Duncan shows a great deal o
Susan
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As in the other books, Elizabeth Barnabus is a strong protagonist who, once again, is battling odds stacked against her. In this adventure, we find her more transparent as she has begun to open her heart to love. This realization that she is not alone in the world has a direct impact on her decisions and puts her in the position of making some painful choices. After a life of fending for herself, these new feelings are at times confusing, a little scary, and conflicting. Yet she remains true to ...more
Bmeyer
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good! I was hoping this series would continue and was glad to find it does. Every book has been wholly different from the last and I really dig the change, but if you had told me that Elizabeth would be reckoning with a society of pirate proto-submariner women in the Caribbean I would have been surprised but also super duper pumped. As always the story was really strong and the characters had the depth and nuance I wish more authors strove for.
More please!
Jay Quietnight
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this fourth novel revolving around the adventures of Elizabeth Barnabus, we see our hero taken out of her element and thrown into a world adrift in the Atlantic. There's no pause in the action in this high-stakes story. An excellent addition to what aspires to be a nine-part series!
Jon Chaisson
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent continuation of the Gas-Lit Empire universe, and quite a fun read.
Poosco
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read. Love these characters. Looking forward to the next
Te-ge Bramhall
My only real nit with this book is that it changes point of view from the original trilogy. Other than that, still just as enjoyable a read.
Jen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read! The author does a wonderful job of incorporating new ideas and elements in this series, which I enjoyed. Looking forward to more adventures with Elizabeth!

And I especially enjoyed the elements of chance, fate, free will and unknown things. Brought to mind a conversation I had with someone about Aristotle.
Briauna A.
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to need the next one like meow
Michele
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rescribo
2.5 stars - it was something to listen to while sitting in traffic, but a lot of decisions the characters made didn't feel right. For example, why would Elizabeth ask John to risk his life to bring her a file rather than to just read it and tell her what it said later? Why would the Sargassans think selling men into slavery was acceptable, and fail to notice that their own behaviour made them the same as the patriarchy they were trying to escape from?

The character reactions didn't feel right eit
Bridgette
Apr 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorites
I LOVED this book. Typical Elizabeth Barnabus doing her thing, leaving me spellbound. I highly anticipated this book and am happy to announce that it met every one of my expectations. Rod Duncan has never disappointed me and I know to expect greatness every time I open the front cover of one of his books. I didn't think that it could get much better than The Fall of The Gas-Lit Empire but I was so wrong. The Map of Unknown Things shows SO much promise and with this first installation, I can bare ...more
Elaine Aldred
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
n the year 2012 the International Patent Office continues to maintain a tight grip on the types of technology in use around most the world.

When airships begin disappearing in mid-Atlantic the Patent Office need to find out what is going on. But as their authority does not extend beyond the territorial water of member nations, unofficial methods of investigation have to take place.

Desperate to discover the fate of her closest friend who was on the latest airship to be downed, Elizabeth approaches
Rachel Chiapparine
I bought this book in the Nook store on my tablet because I love the first trilogy set in this same world. My personal review of the book is as follows:

I want to start this review off by saying that I follow/have talked with the author on Twitter and I think that he is a cool guy; This review is ONLY my own personal experience/feelings about the book.

I personally had a hard time getting into the storyline/figuring what was going on for the first few chapters until(in my personal opinion) the fir
Ry Herman
I am a bit annoyed by the way this book has been marketed. It is billed as the first book in a trilogy. But reading it, I soon noticed that there was a lot of unexplained backstory. A LOT. After a while I stopped waiting for it to be explained and wondered what was going on.

It turns out that there is another trilogy that came before this one, about the same characters. The author states, "... this is the beginning of a new trilogy, so it is designed as a jumping-on point for new readers. You can
Will
2.5 / 5 ✪

The Queen of All Crows serves as my introduction to Rod Duncan, and the world of the Gas-Lit Empire. While the Fall of the Gas-Lit trilogy has been on my TBR for years, I recently came across a copy of All Crows and couldn’t resist getting it. This book begins the Map of Unknown Things trilogy, which I’ve been assured anyone can read, with or without prior knowledge of the world.

Following the events of the Gas-Lit trilogy (I imagine, at least), El
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Resurrectionist of Caligo
  • Smoke Eaters
  • The Scandal at Bletchley (Hilary Manningham-Butler, #1)
  • The Chess Queen Enigma (Stoker & Holmes, #3)
  • A Queen in Hiding (The Nine Realms, #1)
  • Precious Little Things
  • No Way (Frank Kitteridge #2)
  • Witching For Grace (Premonition Pointe, #1)
  • In A House Made of Bones and Teeth (The Lovegrove Legacy #3)
  • Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey
  • Pile of Bones (The Legends of the First Empire #0.5)
  • The Fall of Io (Io #2)
  • Now, Then, and Everywhen (Chronos Origins #1)
  • Sinister Magic (Death Before Dragons, #1)
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Alistair Ainsworth (The Daughter of Sherlock Holmes Mysteries #3)
  • Upright Women Wanted
Rod Duncan worked in scientific research and computing before settling in Leicester to be a writer. His first novel, Backlash, was short-listed for the John Creasey Memorial Award (now the CWA Debut Dagger).

After four crime novels he switched to fantasy. The Bullet Catcher's Daughter was nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award. He is currently writing a series of alternate history books, called ‘Th

The Map of Unknown Things (3 books)
  • The Outlaw and the Upstart King (The Map of Unknown Things, #2)
  • The Fugitive and the Vanishing Man (The Map of Unknown Things, #3)

News & Interviews