Start by marking “Oothar the Blue” as Want to Read:
Oothar the Blue

Oothar the Blue

Oothar the Barbarian is blue. He just doesn't feel like slaying dragons today. He can't bring himself to banish uberwraiths to the ninth dimension. His gauntlet of a thousand souls has lost its luster. What is a melancholy barbarian to do? Join Oothar on his quest for happiness and maybe find a new purpose of your own.
Published May 2nd 2018 by Lion Forge Comics

To ask other readers questions about Oothar the Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oothar the Blue

Start your review of Oothar the Blue
Jen/The Tolkien Gal/ジェニファー
ALERT: this fantastic book will be available on NetGalley until the 30th of June. Go download it! It will make you happy and won't take you 20 minutes to read.

A depressed Barbarian? I'm in!

Image result for oothar the blue

Oothar the Blue takes place in the Land of Carpoothia

His gauntlet of a
Chad
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, netgalley-2018
Oothar the Blue is a children's book about a barbarian who doesn't feel like slaying the dragon or pillaging catacombs. He ultimately gets so frustrated at being sad he takes it out on his immediate location which leads to a new more fulfilling job opportunity. The art is wonderful and detailed. The story wry and humorous.

Received a review copy from Lion Forge and NetGalley. All thoughts are my own and in no way influenced by the aforementioned.
Literary Soirée
Everyone can relate to OOTHAR THE BLUE on his very down day. We all have them. He doesn’t want to slay dragons (oh my!) and or send uberwraiths to the ninth dimension. And when the wizard's spell of enchantment is anything but, Oothar gets angry. He yanks out trees and smashes boulders and slashes grass with his sword. Poor blue dude! Then he has a life-changing encounter with a mauve minotaur and is transformed. 5/5 for this big-hearted, gorgeously illustrated tale!

Thanks to the author, publish
Tom Mathews
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-stuff
Oothar the Blue is a charming story of a barbarian whose life of sacking and pillaging is not as satisfying as he would like. He learns quite by accident that we don't always have to take the preordained path in life. We have options if we just take the time to look for them.
Derick Wilder
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The fun, barbarian-related details in Oothar’s story are wonderfully paired with illustrations that drop you into the middle of his world—a synergy that has the hallmarks of a talented author/illustrator. Add in a likeable, kid-friendly main character who looks to change when no longer happy with the life he’s expected to lead and you have the recipe for an entertaining book with the underlying positive theme of finding happiness.
Pop Bop
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Weirdly Appealing, But Tails Off at the End

Oothar is a sad and melancholy Barbarian, and this is his tale. The story follows a predictable path - we describe and illustrate all of the usual satisfying, but now unsatisfying, things Oothar usually does. At the end something happens that puts the vim back into Oothar's active, outdoor Barbarian lifestyle.

I kept turning the pages because the drawing is friendly and amusing, Oothar's former favorite activities are sort of a hoot, and, mostly, I wonde
Wayne McCoy
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Oothar the Blue' by Brandon Reese is about a famous barbarian who doesn't feel up to being a barbarian today. What will he do?

Oothar wakes up one day and he doesn't feel like killing dragons or smashing ogres heads. He just wants to lay in bed. He is feeling a bit blue. The things that usually bring him joy don't today. Finally, he takes his frustration over his feelings out by slashing at grass and pulling out stumps and stomping on the ground. Will this help Oothar not feel blue?

This story ma
A.T. Balsara
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oothar is feeling down; for a barbarian, this is a problem. He doesn’t want to do his usual barbarian to-do list (like defeating dragons, and fighting ogres). In short, Oothar is depressed. I really enjoyed this book because it has a very original take on your typical strong-man fantasy story. Oothar finds a way to deal with his difficult feelings (hard for any barbarian! :D) and learns how to be productive. This story had charming illustrations, and I believe would be perfect for reluctant read ...more
Andrea Balsara
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oothar is feeling down; for a barbarian, this is a problem. He doesn’t want to do his usual barbarian to-do list (like defeating dragons, and fighting ogres). In short, Oothar is depressed. I really enjoyed this book because it has a very original take on your typical strong-man fantasy story. Oothar finds a way to deal with his difficult feelings (hard for any barbarian) and learns how to be productive. This story had charming illustrations, and I believe would be perfect for reluctant readers, ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Oothar the Blue by Brandon Reese. PICTURE BOOK. The Lion Forge, 2018. $17. 9781941302774

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Oothar is used to fighting battles, but he has been feeling blue lately and doesn’t want to participate in his usual hijinx. In his frustration and rage he swings an axe around and inadvertently cuts some hedges and falls into a new career as a gardener. This job brings him a lot of joy.

Oothar is an unexpected character for a picture book - a blue
♛primadonna♛
I received a free copy of the book by the book's publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

Oothar The Blue was a funny tale about a man who is sad. He takes his anger out on objects and things around him and ends up cleaning up a place accidentally! I don't like the lesson that this may teach kids that expressing our anger should be done physically. However, I'm glad the main c
May 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a very quick read. I thought it was a graphic novel, but it's more of a children's book. I'm not sure, however, the ending will be something that most children get or get entertained by.

That being said, the illustrations were nice, and the story is a good one that speaks to parents as much as the children who they'll be reading the book to.

The lesson it teaches is really that happiness comes from being recognized for a job well done and that, if you aren't happy with your job, you shoul
Tori
This is a new favorite right here!
Warrior Oothar wakes up one morning feeling off. He doesn't want to slay dragons or fight ogres. He's just blue! He needs a new outlet for his feelings...
While this is a great parody of all the Conan tropes I grew up with, it also carries a powerful message about finding constructive ways to channel negative emotions. As someone who has struggled with depression, I was really tickled by this silly book!
It's a fantastic title with great pictures. I think the kid
Becky Shillington
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Oothar is feeling blue and even his favorite barbarian pursuits fail to pull him out of his slump, he must be truly brave and discover what he *really* wants from life. In this adventurous, whimsical, beautifully-drawn book, author/illustrator Brandon Reese does a wonderful job of showing Oothar’s emotional journey while revealing a whole new world to readers. The classic comic-style format will draw kids into Oothar’s world and leave them wanting to hear more of his adventures.

Aimee
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent children's story with an overall moral of when you are feeling blue to get unstuck try something new. It is an assuming tale with excellent illustrations. Very enjoyable and great way to talk to a child about normal emotions.

Theediscerning
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a pleasant enough book, with a good visual quality and an easy reading appeal for its very young target audience, but on the whole it was a bit of a one-joke effort. A lumpen barbarian has a barbarian-styled response to his depression - and lo and behold the result is not what he expected. It's well worth the read, but to actually seek hard for it, or to pay full whack? Doubtful.
Megan
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this lush, beautifully-illustrated picture book last week and was blown away. Not only is it gorgeous, as a piece of art, it addresses the very real, serious issue of depression in a way that children can readily relate to and understand. It's also FUN! It's witty, charming, and delightful. A must read, especially for boys.
Viviane Elbee
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Kids who like graphic novel style illustrations and stories involving barbarians, dragons, uber-wraiths, minotaurs and spiny gutworms might enjoy this book.
I read it to elementary school kids and they loved it. They wanted to re-read it and pore over all the details in the illustrations.
Cute story where main character overcomes the blues.
Carol Baldwin
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
We all have moments when we don't feel ourselves. But what does a barbarian do when he's feeling blue? He no longer wants to slay dragons or banish uberwaiths to the ninth dimension. Even the forest wizard's spell of enchantment doesn't make him feel better. The answer to Oothar's blues comes in an unlikely manner which parents and kids will enjoy. Wonderful illustrations!
Nicole
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
As I started reading this I thought it would be a more blatant lesson about depression and mental illness, but it glossed over it fairly well and then Oothar found his true purpose and started a new career path. Which is partially helpful for depression I suppose. I'm mixed about what to even rate this one.
Emily
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn’t find this funny, myself. At first it seemed the Oothar had depression, and it was resolved too easily. Also, I thought I was going to be reading something more traditional, and then all of a sudden there was a landscaping company. It wasn’t my favorite.
Tara Luebbe
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book depicts an amazing fantasy world with illustrations that are top notch. Oothar is tired of all his typical barbarian activities and finds a way to be happy doing something unexpected in the end. Kids will be drawn to the illustrations and the great detail in them.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
My goodness this was adorable. I've been seeing this advertised in different comic newsletters and the like, so I was glad I got the chance to check it out from Netgalley. Definitely a good addition to a juvenile graphic novel collection.
Julie
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved that this about a sad character, but not just any sad character, a barbarian. The pictures were catchy and the story was fun. I highly recommend it.
Kazima
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cute enough, but had hoped there was a bit more to it.
Ryan
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a clever book with great illustrations. Recommend it for all kids and parents will enjoy it too!
Annese
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hilarious!
Kelly
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really loved that the book shows a big burly man who is dealing with the blues.
Mel
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A good book for explaining the blues, and turning lemons into lemonade. You don't always have to be happy, and that's a good lesson for kids to learn.
Mario
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
"Pillaging the catacombs would have to wait."
"The Thrill of banishing a horde of uberwraiths to the ninth demension was gone."

Poor Oothar is depressed.

• Something Happened in Our Town: A Child's Story about Racial Injustice