Start by marking “Sworn to the Night (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sworn to the Night (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #1)

Sworn to the Night

(The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy #1)

Marie Reinhart is an NYPD detective on the trail of a serial killer. When she sleeps, though, she dreams of other lives; she dreams of being a knight, in strange wars and strange worlds. On the other side of the city, Nessa Roth is a college professor trapped in a loveless marriage, an unwilling prop in a political dynasty. She's also a fledgling witch, weaving poppets and ...more
Published January 2nd 2018 by Demimonde Books

To ask other readers questions about Sworn to the Night, please sign up.
Jo V Thanks for the insight. They all sound very fascinating and am quite interested to read all the books.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
January 18, 2018: you thought my original review for this book was long? Hahahaha. You're so funny sometimes, my Little Barnacles.

Okay, Rating For This Book (RFTB™), either you stop going up and down in my little head, or I'm shooting myself in the upper exoskeleton to quit thinking about you and stuff. So let's hack at you one final, last and hopefully decisive time and be done with it, shall we? "No," you say? Oops, too late.

Final Actual rating maybe: 3.25 stars.

Why? Because:

No matter how ha
Emma
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Having powered through Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust and Harmony Black books, this was an obvious next step. Set in the same world and forming part of the overarching storyline that links all three series, this features Marie Reinhart, an NYPD Detective we met in HB book Glass Predator and, Nessa Roth, a college professor with a troubled mind. Their love-at-first-sight meeting brings chaos to their ordered but unfulfilling lives, throwing them into the fight for the future of the whole world.

The
Kaitlin
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2018
*This is one of the #SPFBO finalist for 2018*

I picked this up as a judge for the #SPFBO competition and I have to say it was a complex read with a lot going on. This story is the first in a series, but it's by no means the first book by this author set in this world, in fact I believe there are a few previous series where you get to see quite a few of the characters we encounter here.

This story starts with a police Detective, Marie, who is hunting down a killer who has been stealing prostitutes
lov2laf
I straight up didn't like this read. I can see where others may but it wasn't for me.

The genre is an action packed paranormal read (witches, demons, gods, whoknowswhat) with mystery and some violence. We get a number of POVs in this read but the two main leads are Marie, a police officer, and Vanessa Roth, a professor/witch. ::sigh::

First off, to like a story I need to respect the leads. And here, I didn't. Both Marie and Nessa are supposed to be rogue in their own ways but I found neither to be
Milda Page Runner
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“When my work is done, they’ll call me a villain. But that’s all right. I don’t mind. Women who refuse to submit have always been called that and worse.”

Well, this was awesome. Like goosebumps over my skin awesome. For full disclosure goosebumps could be due to my cold, but still – a great read.
Highly recommended to all fantasy and UF readers. There is one caveat – you sort of need to read Daniel Faust, Harmony Black and Revanche Cycle first to get the full scope. And if you haven’t read them ye
Mark Lawrence
I've not read this book yet, but it is one of 10 finalists chosen from 300 in this year's Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off, so it's probably very good!

Find out more about the SPFBO here:

See this year's finalists board here:
Mihir
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall rating = 4 & 1/2 stars

Read full review over at Fantasy Book Critic .
Read my interview with Craig Schaefer about the stunning cover art and the book's genre.

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Sworn To The Night (STTN) is the culmination of a lot of threads and characters, chief among them as two whom we previously meet in The Revanche Cycle books by the author. The true inclinations about this whole "story" were first mentioned in the Revanche Cycle (book III) and then later gloriously expanded i
Lukasz
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Nessa and Mari were my favorite characters in the Revanche Cycle. I was furious and devastated after Queen of the Night brutal ending. When I learned that this unlikely couple will reappear in other books, I felt relieved. Truth is, I haven’t read Daniel Faust / Harmony Black books. And yet I’m pretty sure Nessa must be Craig Schaefer’s greatest charact
Timy
I didn't read this book as part of SPFBO, but since then it had become a finalist. My rating doesn't reflect FBR's final rating, which will be announced later as the final phase progresses.

This review was published on my blog with a few extras :)

I've got a copy from the author in exchange of an honest review.

First of all, to read this book and/or trilogy you don’t necessarily need to be familiar with Craig Schaefer’s other series, but it can give an extra perspective if you’ve read his Daniel F
Kristen
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, spfbo4
Full review is here, on my blog!~

This book follows Marie Reinhart, who is an NYPD detective investigating the disappearance/murders of several prostitutes. She’s put on administrative leave due to a shootout along the way, but despite that, she can’t stop investigating, because nobody seems to be as interesting in investigating as she is.

It’s also the story of Vanessa Roth, a college professor and amateur artist who is married to a big time real estate magnate, and isn’t very happy at all. She d
Alaina
Sworn to the Night was a very enjoyable read. It was a great start to the wisdom's grave series and I can't wait to dive into the next book.

Marie Reinhart is an NYPD on a hunt for a missing prostitute named baby blue. Then there's Nessa, who's a troubled professor diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. Her husband is also an asshole and I hate him. When Marie and Nessa first meet.. well, let's just say I fell in love. It was like watching a baby being born. Utterly amazing.

Now I have read the Harmony
Elena
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
My first, emotional reaction to Sworn to the Night, first entry in the new Craig Schaefer's trilogy The Wisdom's Grave, which places itself at the point of convergence of all the author's other series (yes, his epic fantasy one, too) was pretty much this:

description

If nothing else, for the sheer awesomeness of what Schaefer means to achieve with his latest work, which aims to be the place where all of his various series meet and go boom. But the scope of the author's ambition - albeit exciting and somethin
Mark
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An finalist in the spfbo2018, a poor confusing start, well for me anyway.

But when you get past the first 20%, the characters come into the exceedingly lovely well written world building.

Nicely done with with the female characters, I am, MIND very keen to see the friend come into the story more, she seems to me more interesting than the other characters.

Highly recommended urban fantasy.
Cassandra Campbell
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this book? I like it. I like it a lot. May I say thank you for given me a couple that just happens to be the same gender that really works? The story was interesting, great dialog, and plausible interactions. I can't wait for the next in the series.

I am late to the Craig Schaefer universe and I started with his latest installment. This has caused me to start ready the Harmony Black series to see how all of these characters tie together. Daniel Faust will be next.
Luke Sweetser
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read all his works. This is by far the best yet.

Wow, where did the depth come from Mr. Schaefer? Loved this work and it far excels in depth, nuance, and shades of grey over his other novels which I've read and thoroughly enjoyed. As an aside, I liked how he wove in faust, roth, calypso, harmony, etc without you needing to know this characters for the story to flow. Made it seem like a judge through the 4th to the reader from the author. Laughed out loud about "not enjoying the fictional, fi
Steve Isenhower
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! I thought it was a little slow in the beginning probably because I didn't read the Revanche Cycle books. When Nessa and Marie meet in this one, wow, the storyline really took off. Great book and great start to a new series!
Anita
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I woke up in the middle of the night to read this book. I love the way Craig intertwines all three of his other series into this one. Without spoilers, I highly recommend this book, it took me less than 8 days to read the book, being a full time employee and running a household. Think I lost some sleep...well worth it!
Paul
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

Feels like I'm late to the game but am having a blast catching up with these characters. Can't wait for next book to come out
Rabiaah Abdalreda
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was one I never thought I’d pick up. I saw it in the SPFBO finalists list and as soon as I read the book blurb, I decided to check it out. And boy, I’m glad that I did. It was so enjoyable and different that what I read before.

The story features two great protagonist. Marie Reinhart, an NYPD detective. And Vanessa Roth, a college professor married to a rich a**hole. And also a witch. When these two meet together, things get very very interesting. Their type of relationship was very un
Elanor
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the book series I didn't even know I wanted. I have been voraciously reading Schaefer's Faust and Harmony Black series, and enjoying how they touch from time to time but do not exactly overlap. Though initially unrelated, his Revanche Cycle was something new and exciting, and I read that with a passion too. I wasn't sure what to expect with this new series about Nessa and Marie, but I sure as heck *was not* expecting it to tie all three series together so closely. As stated in the openin ...more
Lady
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Forewarned Is Forearmed

•••NOT for the homophobic, transphobic, closedminded, or faint of heart!•••

This series must be read in order. It starts AFTER the Daniel Faust and Harmony Black serieses and pulls all the bits and bobs together to reveal the hidden subplot. I can't wait to read the next book!

Neither Nessa or Marie ever had a chance. Their Fates were intertwined since time immeasurable. Players in a twisted faerie tale without foreknowledge or even much of a chance. This time things WILL be
Vigasia
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can you imagine to have all your favourites fantasy characters in one book? That's what Craig Schaefer did here. Though I wish Daniel Faust and Harmony Black got some bigger role, it was good to see them. This story is not about them, it's about Nessa and Marie ... also familiar characters form other series - Revanche Cycle.

I think that Nessa is so far the most interesting character from all the series. She was my favourite in Revanche and stays so in The Sworn To The Night. I liked to see how s
Karl Poff
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great start to new series

I have read all of the Daniel Faust series, three of the harmony black and the Revanche cycle. They are all awesome and excellent read, this new series blends with them creating a rich tapestry that is entirely engaging. You don't have to read the others this book stands on its own and is well worth the read. I don't write as many reviews as I use to and my standards have gone up so to say this is a five stars is to put it at the same level as the Dresden files, Kim Harr
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gr-giveaway
I won this book via Goodreads giveaway! :-D

I've read one other book by this author, Harmony Black and really enjoyed it.

I entered the Goodreads giveaway, not knowing that this book included characters from his other books series. If I had known that, I might not have entered so I'm glad I was in the dark about that. I don't feel in any way that I had to have read those other series to understand this one.

I did enjoy the short "cameo" with Harmony Black and have found myself wishing I was like Jo
lisa schreiber
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WONDERFUL CONVERGENCE!!!

Wow! This was an awesome book! I really love watching these world's collide and seeing some of my favorite characters from a new perspective. As other reviewers stated, you can certainly read this as a stand alone novel but then again, why would you want to? Read the others first and be amazed how Mr. Schaefer is drawing these world's together. So much for more satisfying!! I also love rooting for an antihero, they are just so much more interesting than your typical hero.
Zenik
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
High fantasy meets urban detective story meets the Schaefer-verse of demons, witches, and dark science. Marie Reinhart and Nessa Roth are two disillusioned women, one a cop, the other a heiress, but both are bound to retell an endless story of the knight and the witch - together they will either break the wheel of deadly they are bound to, or die upon it.

It's real good! Samurai frat-boys, dirty cops, drug cartels, robot-armed mad scientists, worm zombies, and more witches than you can shake a br
Mary Anne
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read Craigs 3 other series. I began with Daniel Faust which lead to Harmony Black and because I love his writing I read Revanche Cycle. In Sworn to the Night all three books come together. Revanche Cycle is a must read to enjoy this book fully, but Please read all the others first just so you're clued into who these people are and their world.

This book was brilliant in how it blended all his main characters and their realms and culture to make a fantastic read. I can't wait for the 2nd i
Isaac
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What are you waiting for?

If you haven’t read all of the rest of the books that Mr. Schaefer has written first; don’t be put off. Like many great authors, you can enjoy this book for what it is, the opening act of a fantastic journey through a world somewhat like ours. That being said, if you’ve read all of his other work you can admire the craftsmanship of a novel put together like an ornate puzzle box without glue or nails.
I can’t wait to keep reading!
Charles H. Miller
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read for Faust and Black fans trying the whole work together.

Another great read here in the world of Craig Schaefer. Been hooked on the entire series for all the books so far. And this one did not disappoint. Looking forward to seeing what happens next. I often tell people I recommend this to that it's like Harry Potter for adults. Much darker and more fun to read. And I'm never giving any spoilers in the reviews. Read the damn book yourself.
Miranda C Stokes
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fresh, exciting and fascinating

I’ve read all of Mr. Schaeffer’s book series and enjoyed them to a substantial degree. This new series takes the cake! As a reader, you will not enjoy it to the fullest unless you’ve read the Daniel Faust, Harmony Black and Revanche Cycle series since the storylines in those are all interwoven into this new series.
  • Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • Booke of the Hidden (Booke of the Hidden #1)
  • Kingdom of Lies (Imp, #7)
  • Cookies, Curses, and Kisses (Blue Moon Bay, #1)
  • The Kingdom Lights
  • Emergence (The Infernal Guard, #1)
  • Clouded by Envy
  • The Unyielding (Call of Crows, #3)
  • Witches in Wonderland (Wicked in Moonhaven #3)
  • Snap Judgment (Samantha Brinkman, #3)
  • Damned Either Way (The Harker Trilogy #3)
  • Blue Bottle Tree
  • Snow White Learns Witchcraft: Stories and Poems
  • Dungeon Explorers (Tales of Magic and Adventure #1)
  • Winterdream
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • Heat
Craig Schaefer's books have taken readers to the seamy edge of a criminal underworld drenched in shadow (the Daniel Faust series), to a world torn by war, poison and witchcraft (the Revanche Cycle), and across a modern America mired in occult mysteries and a conspiracy of lies (the Harmony Black series).

Despite this, people say he's strangely normal. Suspiciously normal, in fact. His home on the W

The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy (3 books)
  • Detonation Boulevard (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #2)
  • Bring the Fire (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #3)
“This isn’t some sweet Disney bedtime story. This is a real fairy tale. With death, and blood, and suffering. And I never promise a happy ending.” 2 likes