Start by marking “Sworn to the Night (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sworn to the Night (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #1)

Sworn to the Night

(The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy #1)

Marie Reinhart is an NYPD detective on the trail of a serial killer. When she sleeps, though, she dreams of other lives; she dreams of being a knight, in strange wars and strange worlds. On the other side of the city, Nessa Roth is a college professor trapped in a loveless marriage, an unwilling prop in a political dynasty. She's also a fledgling witch, weaving poppets and ...more
Published January 2nd 2018 by Demimonde Books

To ask other readers questions about Sworn to the Night, please sign up.
Anita Nope. However, it will enhance your reading experience if you do.

Start your review of Sworn to the Night (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
January 18, 2018: you thought my original review for this book was long? Hahahaha. You're so funny sometimes, my Little Barnacles.

Okay, Rating For This Book (RFTB™), either you stop going up and down in my little head, or I'm shooting myself in the upper exoskeleton to quit thinking about you and stuff. So let's hack at you one final, last and hopefully decisive time and be done with it, shall we? "No," you say? Oops, too late.

Final Actual rating maybe: 3.25 stars.

Why? Because:

💀 No matter how ha
Emma
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Having powered through Craig Schaefer's Daniel Faust and Harmony Black books, this was an obvious next step. Set in the same world and forming part of the overarching storyline that links all three series, this features Marie Reinhart, an NYPD Detective we met in HB book Glass Predator and, Nessa Roth, a college professor with a troubled mind. Their love-at-first-sight meeting brings chaos to their ordered but unfulfilling lives, throwing them into the fight for the future of the whole world.

The
Kaitlin
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spfbo-2018
*This is one of the #SPFBO finalist for 2018*

I picked this up as a judge for the #SPFBO competition and I have to say it was a complex read with a lot going on. This story is the first in a series, but it's by no means the first book by this author set in this world, in fact I believe there are a few previous series where you get to see quite a few of the characters we encounter here.

This story starts with a police Detective, Marie, who is hunting down a killer who has been stealing prostitutes
Milda Page Runner
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“When my work is done, they’ll call me a villain. But that’s all right. I don’t mind. Women who refuse to submit have always been called that and worse.”

Well, this was awesome. Like goosebumps over my skin awesome. For full disclosure goosebumps could be due to my cold, but still – a great read.
Highly recommended to all fantasy and UF readers. There is one caveat – you sort of need to read Daniel Faust, Harmony Black and Revanche Cycle first to get the full scope. And if you haven’t read them ye
lov2laf
I straight up didn't like this read. I can see where others may but it wasn't for me.

The genre is an action packed paranormal read (witches, demons, gods, whoknowswhat) with mystery and some violence. We get a number of POVs in this read but the two main leads are Marie, a police officer, and Vanessa Roth, a professor/witch. ::sigh::

First off, to like a story I need to respect the leads. And here, I didn't. Both Marie and Nessa are supposed to be rogue in their own ways but I found neither to be
Mark Lawrence
I've not read this book yet, but it is one of 10 finalists chosen from 300 in this year's Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off, so it's probably very good!

Find out more about the SPFBO here:

See this year's finalists board here:
Gavin
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy is a bit of a weird series. It is set in the same world as Schaefer's Faust and Harmony books, and both those characters make cameos in this one, but it also acts as a sequel, of sorts, to his Revanche Cycle series as two of the characters in that one are back to play the lead roles for this series. I must admit that worried me a bit going into this one as I was not a big fan of Nessa and Marie's story arc in the Revanche books.

The story was decent enough. Marie Reinh
Mihir
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Overall rating = 4 & 1/2 stars

Read full review over at Fantasy Book Critic .
Read my interview with Craig Schaefer about the stunning cover art and the book's genre.

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Sworn To The Night (STTN) is the culmination of a lot of threads and characters, chief among them as two whom we previously meet in The Revanche Cycle books by the author. The true inclinations about this whole "story" were first mentioned in the Revanche Cycle (book III) and then later gloriously expanded in Th
Lukasz
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Nessa and Mari were my favorite characters in the Revanche Cycle. I was furious and devastated after Queen of the Night brutal ending. When I learned that this unlikely couple will reappear in other books, I felt relieved. Truth is, I haven’t read Daniel Faust / Harmony Black books. And yet I’m pretty sure Nessa must be Craig Schaefer’s greatest charact
Queen Terrible Timy
I didn't read this book as part of SPFBO, but since then it had become a finalist. My rating doesn't reflect FBR's final rating, which will be announced later as the final phase progresses.

This review was published on my blog with a few extras :)

I've got a copy from the author in exchange of an honest review.

First of all, to read this book and/or trilogy you don’t necessarily need to be familiar with Craig Schaefer’s other series, but it can give an extra perspective if you’ve read his Daniel F
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sworn to the Night
The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, Book 1
By: Craig Schaefer
Narrated by: Susannah Jones
I love all of Craig Schaefer 's work and this is just as good. Great combo of detective work, magic, evil, good, touch of romance, twisted brotherhood, true friendship, unpredictable plot, and real sets of situations and supernatural activities and curses. Starting on book 2 right away.
The narration was excellent!
Kristen
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, spfbo4
Full review is here, on my blog!~

This book follows Marie Reinhart, who is an NYPD detective investigating the disappearance/murders of several prostitutes. She’s put on administrative leave due to a shootout along the way, but despite that, she can’t stop investigating, because nobody seems to be as interesting in investigating as she is.

It’s also the story of Vanessa Roth, a college professor and amateur artist who is married to a big time real estate magnate, and isn’t very happy at all. She d
Alaina
Sworn to the Night was a very enjoyable read. It was a great start to the wisdom's grave series and I can't wait to dive into the next book.

Marie Reinhart is an NYPD on a hunt for a missing prostitute named baby blue. Then there's Nessa, who's a troubled professor diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. Her husband is also an asshole and I hate him. When Marie and Nessa first meet.. well, let's just say I fell in love. It was like watching a baby being born. Utterly amazing.

Now I have read the Harmony
Mark
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
An finalist in the spfbo2018, a poor confusing start, well for me anyway.

But when you get past the first 20%, the characters come into the exceedingly lovely well written world building.

Nicely done with with the female characters, I am, MIND very keen to see the friend come into the story more, she seems to me more interesting than the other characters.

Highly recommended urban fantasy.
Elena C.
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
My first, emotional reaction to Sworn to the Night, first entry in the new Craig Schaefer's trilogy The Wisdom's Grave, which places itself at the point of convergence of all the author's other series (yes, his epic fantasy one, too) was pretty much this:

description

If nothing else, for the sheer awesomeness of what Schaefer means to achieve with his latest work, which aims to be the place where all of his various series meet and go boom. But the scope of the author's ambition - albeit exciting and somethin
T.O. Munro
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the finalists in the Self-Publishing Fantasy Blog Off #4 and I read and reviewed it for the Fantasy Hive as one of the participating Blogs.

This review was first published on their website on 10th May 2019

Schaefer skilfully blends genres and settings from the very start of the book’s fourth-wall-challenging set up, where an elderly fantasy novelist is kidnapped at helicopter point for interrogation by a mysterious organisation. In a scene that felt – in my imagination – like
Vigasia
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Can you imagine to have all your favourites fantasy characters in one book? That's what Craig Schaefer did here. Though I wish Daniel Faust and Harmony Black got some bigger role, it was good to see them. This story is not about them, it's about Nessa and Marie ... also familiar characters form other series - Revanche Cycle.

I think that Nessa is so far the most interesting character from all the series. She was my favourite in Revanche and stays so in The Sworn To The Night. I liked to see how s
Cassandra Campbell
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this book? I like it. I like it a lot. May I say thank you for given me a couple that just happens to be the same gender that really works? The story was interesting, great dialog, and plausible interactions. I can't wait for the next in the series.

I am late to the Craig Schaefer universe and I started with his latest installment. This has caused me to start ready the Harmony Black series to see how all of these characters tie together. Daniel Faust will be next.
Mē-chan
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was intense and awesome.
XR
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This was bloody good! I love Marie and Nessa together. And the whole witch and knight thing? Yeah... I dig it.
Luke Sweetser
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've read all his works. This is by far the best yet.

Wow, where did the depth come from Mr. Schaefer? Loved this work and it far excels in depth, nuance, and shades of grey over his other novels which I've read and thoroughly enjoyed. As an aside, I liked how he wove in faust, roth, calypso, harmony, etc without you needing to know this characters for the story to flow. Made it seem like a judge through the 4th to the reader from the author. Laughed out loud about "not enjoying the fictional, fi
Rebecca Armstrong
Jul 10, 2020 is currently reading it
First impressions were first posted at Uptown Oracle and as a booktube video

First impressions:
So the prologue basically tells us that the entire book is a story narrated by Carolyn Saunders who is under interrogation. We also find out that she’s an author in this world. I’m curious about whether she’s going to be a reliable narrator, and how this affects the book as a whole.

We then meet our first main character, Marie, who is a detective who’s hell bent on saving as many people as possible. Who
Filip
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am very impressed with Craig Schafer’s Sworn to the Night. Coming into this, I’d never read any of his previous books; I’d not even come across his name up to receiving this novel for review as part of 2018’s SPFBO. I was oblivious to the fact that Sworn to the Night is the beginning of a third series set in a shared world between Schafer’s other works. Reading it, I didn’t at any point feel I needed to be familiar with previous novels, even if familiarity with one particular side character by ...more
Sunshine
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Not really recommended. The urban fantasy is alright but the writing and prolific use of metaphors just isn't landing with me. The romance is f/f with instant love while one of the women is even married. Add in the strange, dominating personality toward the other woman and I'm just left scratching my head at the interactions.

Definitely do not read for the f/f romance but you might find something to like in the fantasy side.
Steve Isenhower
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! I thought it was a little slow in the beginning probably because I didn't read the Revanche Cycle books. When Nessa and Marie meet in this one, wow, the storyline really took off. Great book and great start to a new series!
Anita
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! I woke up in the middle of the night to read this book. I love the way Craig intertwines all three of his other series into this one. Without spoilers, I highly recommend this book, it took me less than 8 days to read the book, being a full time employee and running a household. Think I lost some sleep...well worth it!
kartik narayanan
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Craig Schaefer and have read all his books. Why is this important? It sets the baseline for the review of his book.

Now, many people seem to have said that it is possible to get into this book without reading the others. I beg to differ. There are numerous threads and call-backs that make them the only saving grace for this book. Without them, this book would be middling.

I am disappointed by this book (when compared to the others like the Revanche Cycle) since its only purpose
Paul
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable

Feels like I'm late to the game but am having a blast catching up with these characters. Can't wait for next book to come out
Tuesday Strange
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book! It’s a great addition to the Daniel Faust/Harmony Black arc and I can’t wait for the next one!!
Choko
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: demons, urban-fantasy
*** 4.65 ***

"...“This isn’t some sweet Disney bedtime story. This is a real fairy tale. With death, and blood, and suffering. And I never promise a happy ending.”
― Craig Schaefer, Sworn to the Night..."

I have been going through the Schaeferverse in the last several months , enjoying Danny and the gang, falling in love with the meticulous and somewhat stuffy Harmony and her gang, and feeling tenderness for creatures who are monsters, but seeing them in the scope of Schaefer's lens, not being able
« previous 1 3 next »

• Among Gods and Monsters (Fallen Gods, #2)
  • Symphony of the Wind (The Raincatcher's Ballad #1)
  • Blood of the Moon (Fallen Gods, #3)
  • Fallen (Alex Verus, #10)
  • Fire Season (Eric Carter #4)
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • Wild Hearts
  • The Gods of Men (Gods of Men, #1)
  • The Knight Advocate: A Colt Valentine Arcane Justice Novel
  • Moonlight Druid (Colin McCool #3)
  • The Long Chain (Arcane Casebook, #3)
  • Night Rune (Prof Croft Book 8)
  • Bullets & Blades (Montague & Strong Case Files #7)
  • When Dusk Comes (Dusk Queen Series #1)
  • The Sting of Victory (Fallen Gods, #1)
  • Death Unleashed (The Rebellion Chronicles, #2)
  • Underground Druid (Colin McCool #4)
  • Buried Memory  (Harbinger P.I. #2)
Craig Schaefer's books have taken readers to the seamy edge of a criminal underworld drenched in shadow (the Daniel Faust series), to a world torn by war, poison and witchcraft (the Revanche Cycle), and across a modern America mired in occult mysteries and a conspiracy of lies (the Harmony Black series).

Despite this, people say he's strangely normal. Suspiciously normal, in fact. His home on the W

The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy (3 books)
  • Detonation Boulevard (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy #2)
  • Bring the Fire (The Wisdom's Grave Trilogy, #3)