Start by marking “Aristotle’s Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
Aristotle’s Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life

Aristotle’s Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life

Aristotle was an extraordinary thinker, perhaps the greatest in history. Yet he was preoccupied by an ordinary question: how to be happy. His deepest belief was that we can all be happy in a meaningful, sustained way – and he led by example.

In this handbook to his timeless teachings, Professor Edith Hall shows how ancient thinking is precisely what we need today, even if y
Published May 3rd 2018

To ask other readers questions about Aristotle’s Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aristotle’s Way

Emma
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
With these kind of books, it's really difficult to get the tone right. On the one hand you have a thinker who is considered one of the 'Fathers' of Western philosophy, on the other you have that modern pop psychology that aims to tell you how to live in however many steps. For the most part, Edith Hall does well to make Aristotle accessible and there are parts, such as the notions about good decision-making, education, and personal responsibility, that might as well have flashing neon signs to h ...more
Ryan Boissonneault
When writing a book like this, there’s a fine line between 1) staying true to the philosophical complexity of the original thinker, and 2) presenting those views in a simplified manner for popular consumption. Edith Hall perhaps leans a little too far to the latter, but I can’t fault any author for trying to popularize Aristotle’s ethical system for wider familiarity and practice.

It is much needed. Religion is losing its appeal, which is a good thing, but for some people this has created a gap.
Dan Graser
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Professor Edith Hall is not only a great classicist but a tremendously engaging and passionate writer. She has a wonderful ability to bring several philosophical concepts of her chosen subject, Aristotle, into both the real world and the modern world.

The only real flaw with this book is the title/subtitle which suggests this is some sort of self-help psycho babble new age guru baloney, and it’s not, she is a professor of classics at Kings College London, not Deepak Chopra. Though, since the tit
Steve Pickard
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aristotle's Way is an exploration of the famous philosopher's work which has been helpfully curated and thematically organised by Professor Edith Hall. I would describe it as a well-being oriented book, that explores themes such as happiness, society and the fulfilment of potential. I really enjoyed the sections that promoted interacting with "the texture of reality", and responding to every situation in a way unique to its own circumstances. There were some great passages about justice, and equ ...more
Scott
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I've been reading *Pagans and Christians in the City* by Steven Smith lately and one of the central premises of the book is that paganism, far from being finally subjected with the rise of Christendom, instead was pressed underground but occasionally reared its head at various times and places. Thus, following TS Eliot, the future will either be a revival of something like a Christian society or "modern paganism."

The book is certainly interesting in the way in which it challenges the dominant s
Adam
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's perhaps the most pretentious thing I've ever said (and I've said it a lot), but Aristotle is not my favorite.

He's still not my favorite, but I think Edith Hall's book did open my mind to possibilities I had turned from in the past. My issue with Aristotle was his looking down upon women and his acceptance of slavery as an institution (and yes, I'm aware that slavery was a common cultural practice circa 330 BCE). Hall does provide some evidence that Aristotle was open to, nearly thinking it
Qapsl0ck
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice introduction to his thinking and his ideas
Reginald
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting introduction to Aristotle’s virtue ethics—Edith does a great job of making this discussion engaging and relevant to contemporary issues. Recommended.
Mehrsa
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The book is more an ode to Aristotle than it is a self/help. It’s interesting and some parts are strong, but generally it’s sort of fluffy
华 强
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
You know how when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail? The author sees almost all the happiness in the world as Aristotelian. The book puts your world into ancient context. It goes over the etymology of different words to show what things originally meant and to give you a different perspective.
Alex
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first came across this book a few months ago, when I read Lisa Allardice’s article ‘How Aristotle is the perfect happiness guru’. Three words, two featuring in the title of the book, and one in the review, sparked my interest: Aristotle, wisdom, happiness. Aristotle was born in the town of Stageira, in Halkidiki, Greece, an hour’s drive from my home-town, Thessaloniki. Then, I studied Medicine at the Aristotle’s University of Thessaloniki. ‘Let Wisdom Guide’ is the motto of the Royal College o ...more
Fay Brown
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book appeared on my radar at a really apt time, when I am rethinking a lot of priorities and trying to work out how to make my working life satisfying without being overwhelming. I've seen/heard Edith Hall speak a few times and she has impressed me so I gave it a go, and I am glad I did.
Hall's outline of Aristotle's approach to happiness and 'Living Well' is accessible and thoroughly research, yet wears its academic stripes lightly. There are plentiful references for those who want to delve
Alok Kejriwal
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have never enjoyed a non-business book as much as this one. Perhaps I am a 'philosophy nerd' but also 'coz I seriously agree with Warren Buffett & Charlie Munger who read EVERYTHING to develop deep insights & wisdom.

Aristotle's Way is meant to be read slowly, with reflection.

Why this book?

- It makes you REFLECT on facts that you know but have never spent time contemplating upon.

- Aristotle lived between 380-320 BC. Yet when you read his ideas, they seem they come from 2019. That's whe
Barbara
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars is not enough, I would give it 10. But I am already very keen on Aristotle and bore my friends and family with the word 'balance'. I now have a much better view of all his philosophy, from the virtues and developing your talents to mortality. I think it would be possible to tie this in with Christianity. There is a lifetime of scholarship here, artfully crafted into a coherent and readable account with just the right amount of gentle personal touches. Edith I believe is behind the charit ...more
James Miller
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Drawing ideas from across Aristotle Hall seeks to show what a life lived virtuously (and by that she follows Aristotle in meaning excellently in accord with the capacities and nature we have rather than Christian ideas of virtue many alien to Aristotle) might be. There is a wide peppering of film and book references and some of those sound worth following up. I already think that Aristotle gets much of this about right, but I enjoyed the book's focus on particular instances and areas of life. My ...more
Ryan Madden
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book because it was a good introduction into Aristotle for me whom I didn't know much about. I read it for a book club and some people felt the book had some limitations. I did feel like some of the chapters didn't really explain exactly what Aristotle's advice for living a good life were for the subject at hand, so in this way it missed the mark a bit, but I generally liked it just because I now know about 1000 times more about Aristotle than I knew before.
Lawr Ding
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting modern approach to make the general public more known with the ethics of Aristotle. I particulary enjoyed the chapter about communication: how to be a compelling speaker and how argumentation works. I think a lot of politicians and public speakers in the present use these in good and bad ways. In this sense this book made me more aware of the way people talk and persuade each other.
Jericho Eames
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay to be honest I'm not sure what Aristotlean philosophy is like but through reading her breakdown on twelve different areas of life, I kind of get a sense of what it is all about. I think his philosophy is indeed still relevant to our lives today and am trying to actively adapt the lessons into my life.
Marty Suter
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Aristotle guy has some pretty good ideas for living a good life ;-) Enjoyed the stroll down memory lane of Plato's star pupil, his ethics, and how they relate to modern living. Loved all the cross-references to classic Greek literature, too. The messages in this book have applicability for just about everyone....highly recommended!
Don Thomson
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although some of the chapters seemed to veer off-course, I loved the was the author distilled Aristotle's philosophies into easy to understand language. The chapter of friendship was alone worth the price of the book. It helped me to win back a friend whom I thought I had lost.
Richard Smith
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've written two blogs on this book, which iw well worth reading:

Efthalia
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An easy to read and wonderful self-thinking guide using Aristotle's wisdom.

Very fresh approach and totally recommend it to anyone wanting to understand the nuts and bolts of of what the human mind associates happiness with.

Nikhil Singh
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book deeply. Edith Hall's portrayal of Aristotelian thoughts into easy to understand language was extremely helpful and I learned a lot from it. I would definitely recommend this book to gain a deeper understanding of life and how to find pleasure and insights in how to live well.
Martina
A deep dive into Aristotle's thinking about aspects of life. Brought back some of my reading from 40+ years ago.
Mark
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, research
Excellent book.
Asia
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Edith Hall has summarised Aristotle's teachings into 10 topics. I feel that the book would be easier to digest if there could be sub-sections within each chapters.
Liesleest
Degelijk. Niet echt aanzettend tot (nieuw) denken
Karen Flatley
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another college course. Pithy. I forgot about happiness.
Michael Baranowski
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
Probably a very good book for people with little knowledge of Aristotle or virtue ethics. That's not me, so I found it uninteresting and quickly abandoned it.
William Dury
Feb 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This one had me going. First I look in vain for an acknowledgement of Edith Hamilton’s books “The Greek Way” and “The Roman Way.” Then I get twitchy as she enlists Aristotle to confirm her personal prejudices. The philosopher obligingly gives thumbs up to Obama, down to Bush (not sure which Bush-#2, maybe)and helpfully approves her “queue jumping” at the national health facility (incidentally giving us lucky Americans a sneak preview of our future health care! The DMV with shots!)

It is a tricky
  • Knowledge: A Very Short Introduction
  • Strange Gods: A Secular History of Conversion
  • Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life
  • A Brief Introduction to the New Testament
  • Weird Parenting Wins: Bathtub Dining, Family Screams, and Other Hacks from the Parenting Trenches
  • Twentynine Palms: A True Story of Murder, Marines, and the Mojave
  • Grief Works: Stories of Life, Death and Surviving
  • Heretics and Believers: A History of the English Reformation
  • Infinite Resignation: On Pessimism
  • The Falafel King Is Dead
  • Very Recent History: An Entirely Factual Account of a Year (c. AD 2009) in a Large City
  • Redeemer: The Life of Jimmy Carter
  • Sexographies
  • On Ends (De finibus bonorum et malorum)
  • How the World Thinks: A Global History of Philosophy
“Aristotle was convinced that most people get most of their pleasure from learning things and wondering about and at the world.” 1 likes
“Politicians are scrutinized for what they have done wrong, but rarely for what they have not done to improve the situation of the people they are” 0 likes