Start by marking “Season of Storms (The Witcher, #6)” as Want to Read:
Season of Storms (The Witcher, #6)

Season of Storms

(The Witcher #6)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  19,138 ratings  ·  1,165 reviews
Geralt. The witcher whose mission is to protect ordinary people from the monsters created with magic. A mutant who has the task of killing unnatural beings. He uses a magical sign, potions and the pride of every witcher - two swords, steel and silver. But what would happen if Geralt lost his weapons?

Andrzej Sapkowski returns to his most popular hero in a stand-alone novel
Published April 19th 2018 by Hachette UK (first published November 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Season of Storms, please sign up.
Alexander Yakovlev It's roughly the same time as "The Last Wish" novel. The main plot occurs somewhere after the short story "Last Wish" but before "The Witcher" (Prince…moreIt's roughly the same time as "The Last Wish" novel. The main plot occurs somewhere after the short story "Last Wish" but before "The Witcher" (Princess Striga) one. But there is a short sequel intermission, so I suggest reading this after "Lady of the Lake"(less)

·  19,138 ratings  ·  1,165 reviews

Start your review of Season of Storms (The Witcher, #6)
 Teodora
May 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-app, fantasy
Nope.
Just nope.

1.5/5 ⭐ (the extra half star being for Jaskier because he's baby)

I’m sorry, it was agonising and all I wanted was for it to be over soon.

This book doesn’t even have the same vibe as the initial books, there are no nice, monster-filled legends and myths, the atmosphere is plain and the characters make little sense. It felt (at least to me) written only for the sake of writing or as we say in Romanian, it was written în doru' lelii *winks at my fellow Romanians*

Yeah, sure, there is
James T
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, freecopy
I received a review copy of Season of Storms in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Andrzej Sapkowski and Gollancz for the opportunity.

Season of Storms begins with the Witcher successfully completing a contract to eradicate the threat of a monster known as an Idr. Upon receiving payment Geralt opts to travel to Kerack where another mission may be waiting. Upon arrival at Kerack's Watchtower he is made to disarm and hand over his two legendary Witcher swords which he does begrudgingly. H
Evgeny
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First a disclaimer: the book blurb has nothing in common with the content. They both talk about Geralt the Witcher, but this is where the similarities end.

What did Geralt do most of the time in the series? People familiar with him only through the games or not at all would foolishly say he hunted monsters. Wrong! He brooded non-stop from the middle of the second book all the way to the end.
Brooding
I am happy(?) to say here he did exactly this for about third of the length. After which he was forced to
Markus
"They say that progress illuminates the darkness. But there will always be darkness. And in that darkness there will always be Evil, in that darkness there will always be fangs and claws, murder and blood. There will always be things that go bump in the night. And we, witchers, are the ones who bump back at them."
- Vesemir of Kaer Morhen

A difficult book to rate. I enjoyed reading it, of course, as it is a Witcher book. At the same time, it offered nothing new to the series, did not add anything
Melanie
1.) The Last Wish ★★★★★

I'm sorry, friends, but I'm just not going to write a review for this one, because I feel so much dread every time I think about doing it. This book was just so different than what I've come to expect with other Witcher novels. It breaks my heart to say it, but I just didn't enjoy this one. I still love Dandelion with my whole heart and soul, Geralt is daddy, and Horse is a good boy.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Content and trigger warnings for blo
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I mean I love the freaking cover of the book! Guess I just need to get a print out!

But... the book fell flat for me! I don't know if it's because I have been reading some amazing books lately or what! Either way, I'm happy for the ones that love it!

Mel 🖤🐺🐾
Anton
Overdue review notes...

The first thing to know about it - it is a full-length novel. Not a collection of short stories like The Last Wish or Sword of Destiny. But despite that, this story is much closer in spirit to these prequel instalments as opposed to the main saga Blood of Elves and onward.

It is an easy and enjoyable read. But it would naturally appeal to those who already love the series. If you are new to Witcher - you can start here... but I am not sure I would recommend it. I would rath
Milda Page Runner
It was so wonderful to be back in Witcher's world - I feel nostalgic already. There is everything in this book one could hope for:

breathtaking close-up fights with horrible monsters,

light-hearted funny banter with Dandelion,

court intrigues and conspiracies,

mysterious beautiful women and hot nights,

power drunk insane wizards,

plenty oh humour sarcasm and irony,

haunting full of horrors events,

kind monsters and monstrous cruel people.

Highly recommended to all Witcher fans. I can only hope that this
Caro the Helmet Lady

It's really easy to bitch and pout about this book, as some did. And I could point at same things they pointed at too, I'm not blind. But I wasn't disappointed by it and forgive it all easily. I am really happy I could return to the world that became sort of my second home almost two decades ago. Sure thing, I can always do it with the help of old saga, or new games, but it's just not the same.

Because, simply as it is -

description

And I did get some more. And it was interesting, it was funny, it added som
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum: https://bibliosanctum.com/2018/06/17/...

There really is no such thing as a bad Witcher book, just some are better than others. Season of Storms is probably one that I would put on the lower end of the spectrum—meaning I enjoyed it, but compared to the rest of the books in the series, it simply didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped. While this is the eighth one overall (when you include all the novels and collections), it is also something of a standalone preq
Celise
This is the most recently translated book in The Witcher saga, the series which inspired the video games by the same name. I have heard rumours that another book is in the works, but as of now, this is the last one.

First I'd like to comment quickly on where this fits into the reading order. This is it without Season of Storms:

The Last Wish (short story collection)
The Sword of Destiny (short story collection)
The Blood of Elves (novel)
The Time of Contempt (novel)
Baptism of Fire (novel)
The Tower of
Franzi
3.5 Stars

Like The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny this entry to the Witcher Saga is a short story collection. Unlike the other two Season of Storms does not have clearly seperated stories. I enjoyed the way the shorter stories were connected into a bigger story, but sometimes it took me some time to understand a new setting (since I didn't always notice that a new story started). This made the story feel a bit messy for my taste. The stories themselves were interesting, but not the best in the Wi
Sara
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, adult, audio, arc, fantasy
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

A prequel of sorts to the main Witcher series, this story sees Geralt loose his Witcher swords and go on a quest to find them. Along the way he teams up with old pal Dandelion and ends up getting embroiled in a sorcerer's mutant conspiracy and getting hired as a bodyguard at a wedding.

This has glimmers of the Geralt wit I know and love, with death by books and hybrid trolls/ogres, but ultimately the story itself is rather dull. It drags and drags, w
Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad)
Read the fan translated version.

OK, I am quite speechless right now and it's very hard to put my thought to words, so I will cut the small talk and tell you everything that's on my heart.

Geralt (AKA The Witcher) is one of the best characters in the universe. Somehow I always refer to A.Sapkowski books as "true fantasy" ones since they are not only interesting, but have that specific feeling of reality, that makes you plunge into all adventures and experience them vividly.

description

This book had some f
Jessica {Litnoob}
I didn’t expect this but damn, I loved this so much. It’s now my favorite Witcher book. It was peak Geralt wandering around and getting into trouble and kicking ass and taking names. It’s just so good. There’s no ciri or yen but honestly I didn’t miss them here. It was about Geralt and that just made this story for me. Even when he was getting into panties or stupid ass trouble it was good, made me chuckle and kept me engaged.
Vikas
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbtr
The rating may be a little higher than 3 maybe 3.25 or 3.4 I feel like even though this was a decent experience we could've very well lived without this little adventure too. In this standalone novel in the Witcher series, Geralt finds himself in a city where his swords are promptly stolen and to find the swords Geralt has to move from one place to another and has found himself under different scenarios. This time there is no Ciri and no destiny, Geralt has broken up with Yennefer and now travel ...more
Malum
This volume is a lot more thoughtful and deliberately paced than The Last Wish, even taking into consideration that that novel was mainly a bunch of short stories with an overall framing narrative. Here, Geralt is more "detective Witcher" rather than "monster slaying Witcher" (although he does a bit of that, too, of course) as various factions try to use Geralt as a playing piece in their political and sorcerous games while he investigates some brutal slayings.

Fans of Moorcock and/or George R.R
Esther
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Arjen for introducing me to this series and for doing a buddyread with me. I have been playing The Witcher games, but I did not know that there were books about Geralt too. I was excited to immerse myself into his world, but I did not like it as much as I hoped and I'm not sure if I'll continue this series.

A longer review can be found at Bite Into Books

I do realize that this book is #0 in a series. It could definitely get better. I think this book should have just been written as a nov
Alina
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 of 5 stars

Notwithstanding the fact that there are some flaws in this book, it was so captivating (especially the second part of the book) that I couldn’t fall asleep the night I finished it.

In this prequel story we meet the same old Witcher with Dandelion and their adventures! I’m not going to retell the whole plot, but I can say that it is swirling around the fact that Geralt has lost his two swords – the pride of every witcher and now he has to find the way how to return them back. Through
Kinga
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“A witcher’s only love is blood and suffering. And you turned out to be a good person. And kind.”

I am so happy that I left this part for the last in this series; this is the ending that I can accept and be left very much satisfied.

This whole series was incredible from the start, and I’m so glad that it gets even more hype due to the Netflix series (not to mention the even more amazing video games). I love getting on the hype trains and this time I was not disappointed either.

This particular
Marcus
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate giving this one a 3 because I enjoyed the rest of the series so very much. The truth of the matter is, Season of Storms would have benefited from being much shorter.

The story takes us back to Geralt's earlier days, happening somewhere between The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. Shedding the problems that come with older age and the sudden debilitating interest in staying alive for a greater cause that ensnare Geralt in the later books, we see a lot of action in this one, along with some S
Maja
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost made up for The Lady of the Lake.
Lee
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I decided to read Season of Storms before getting into Blood of Elves. I have already read The Last Wish which I think is important to any reader wanting to get into the series and understand the world of Geralt.
This book is a side story, encompassing all that Geralt loves to do, fight monsters (which can sometimes be human monsters), wax lyrical with Dandelion, sup with many different races, take baths and sleep with Sorceresses whilst giving the loving eye to other women in his proximity. I d
Spencer
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable and well written standalone story that manages to give us insight into various holes in the Witcher lore whilst also telling a fascinating tale. This is a book for the fans, you could read and enjoy this without reading any of the other books but there are so many references and easter eggs it's plain to see that this was written for those intimately familiar with the Witcher series.
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
„Guard against disappointments, because appearances can deceive. Things that are really as they seem are rare. And a woman is never as she seems.“

Unfortunately I didn‘t enjoy this as much as the main saga. It wasn‘t bad, just not as good.
Kells Next Read
Actual Ratings: 4.25

Izabelle Holmgren
This is the second Witcher book that I have read, I started with The Last Wish. I was very unsure about the reading order so before I started this book I looked it up. It seemed like there is a bunch of different opionions about in which order a Witcher beginner should read the series now with the Season of Storms being published.

I can't really say if I did the right thing reading this directly after The Last Wish or if I should have read the entire main series first. But I think it would be in
Helena
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was okay-ish. My problem with Sapkowski is that his writing style reminds me of eating an old stale cookie without anything to drink.
Laura ☾
I still love Geralt and Dandelion, but this one felt like it really dragged on..

Full review to come
Fadi Antwan
No book should be allowed to have this much toilet humor.
Gilda del Corvo: 1° GdL - The Witcher libro 8 1 14 Mar 03, 2020 03:38AM

• The Witcher, Vol. 3: Curse of Crows
  • The Witcher: Reasons of State
  • Čas hrdinov II
  • Jakie piękne samobójstwo
  • Wiedźmin. Droga bez powrotu (Wiedźmin #1)
  • Ako som vozil Nórov 2
  • Srebrna Łania z Visby (Oko Jelenia, #2)
  • The Witcher: Matters of Conscience
  • Król Bólu
  • Światy równoległe. Czego uczą nas płaskoziemcy, homeopaci i różdżkarze
  • Statystycznie rzecz biorąc, czyli ile trzeba zjeść czekolady, żeby dostać Nobla?
  • Written in the Stars: Constellations, Facts and Folklore for the Armchair Astronomer
  • Валькирия
Andrzej Sapkowski, born June 21, 1948 in Łódź, is a Polish fantasy writer. Sapkowski studied economics, and before turning to writing, he had worked as a senior sales representative for a foreign trade company. His first short story, The Witcher (Wiedźmin), was published in Fantastyka, Poland's leading fantasy literary magazine, in 1986 and was enormously successful both with readers and critics. ...more

The Witcher (6 books)
  • Blood of Elves (The Witcher, #1)
  • Czas pogardy (Saga o Wiedźminie, #2)
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #3)
  • Wieża Jaskółki (Saga o Wiedźminie, #4)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)