Start by marking “Night of the Spadefoot Toads” as Want to Read:
Night of the Spadefoot Toads

Night of the Spadefoot Toads

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  275 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
When his father takes a new job in Massachusetts, Ben Moroney must leave behind his best friend Tony, a western banded gecko named Lenny, and worst of all, the desert home he has loved and explored.

Ben s adjustment to his new environment is not going well until he unexpectedly finds a kindred spirit in his eccentric fifth-grade science teacher, Mrs. Tibbets. Together they
Published October 1st 2008 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Spadefoot Toads, please sign up.

Hailee the book is very interested. But of course, its my opinion

Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Ben is having a hard time adjusting to the move from Tucson, Arizona to Edenboro, Massachusetts. He misses his best friend and the pet lizard he left with his friend. On top of that some of his treasured things he had carefully packed away for transport did not make it to his new home. Yep, it was lost in transport. So Ben is not a happy camper!

Ben has been attending his new school for about two months and still hasn't made any real friends. Plus there is an annoying loud mouth bully that he tri
Ryan M. Hanna
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book grabbed me about halfway in and I ended up really liking it. I think my students will like it, too. My school district added this to the required reading curriculum, so I am glad I can say I enjoyed it.
Sunnyvale Librarian
Ben loved living in Tucson, Arizona. His favorite hangout was the Desert Museum. But then Ben's dad got a new job... in Massachusetts. Now, here he is in cold, rainy Edenboro, Massachusetts where there are no geckos, or snakes, no Desert Museum, and no best friend Toby. On top of all that, he's the new kid at Edenboro Elementary and the only friend he has is one he really doesn't want. Then he meets Mrs. Tibbets, his science teacher. When he spies the muddy hiking boots she wears to school, he's ...more
Julie
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I bought this book when the author visited my son's school a couple of years ago and we just got around to reading it. We were looking for a book for AR reading. We read this book together, silently and aloud to one another. We really enjoyed it. There were a lot of themes... Loneliness, friendship, bullying, honesty, biology and the environment. One problem, Ben's friend was called Toby throughout most of the book but on the jacket and on page page 34 he was called Tony. That drove me a little ...more
Alison Levie
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ben is upset about moving to Massachusetts from the Arizona desert. The story focuses on his struggle as a new student and his sense of loss. He makes connections and adjusts to his new home largely as a result of a teacher. There is some connection to an interesting girl and a hyperactive boy, but otherwise there is little connection to other students. Tremendous focus on environment and connection to nature. Also focus on how anyone including children can make a difference.
Christine
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Bill Harley and he has yet to disappoint me at all. This is a wonderful beautiful and inspiring story. I hope everyone reads it. Especially those who enjoy teaching. It's really an amazing story and made me recall how much I love the outdoors and also helped me recall how much time I spent there as a child.
Zosia Parkulab
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really cool and I loved the part at the end when Mrs Tibbets said "Omigosh" to Ben after she saw the rattle snake and was surprised that they survived by not being in they're new habitat. Awesome!
Mary
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, realistic
Ben is not happy leaving his friends and the desert to move to rainy Massachusetts, but he unexpectedly finds a kindred soul in his new science teacher. Deals with lots of issues(moving, honesty, friendship,rescuing endangered animals)all in a weel-written, intriging story.
Kay
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
2011-2012 Intermediate Golden Sower.
Madeli
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book is so nice
Starr Elementary
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This Golden Sower Nominee is a good fast read about being the new kid living far from "home". If you like critters as much as I do you should love this story.
Amber
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, work
Oh man, how good was this. Like, if Spinelli wrote with ecology in mind. This was really enjoyable. High quality stuff.
Pcm
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome! Ben went through trouble, faced difficult things, and much more of science! This was a really good book
Valerie
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this for the Page One competition.
Oscar
lklollkkik
Sandy Sopko
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grades
Great story about so many good topics for young readers -- fitting in as a new kid, relating to adults, dealing with change (feeling homesick after a move), kindness, honesty, integrity... but also a great science story about endangered spadefoot toads. All kinds of great conflict. I loved the science connections -- young readers who are budding environmentalists will find this book inspiring!
Ms. Yingling
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Copy provided by the publisher.

I love Bill Harley's Charlie Bumpers series, and this one certainly had great STEM tie-ins, a great teacher, and a fun plot, but the cover is so atrociously awful that my students would never pick it up. If a book has STEM connections, it's got to have a really fabulous cover. This looks like something from the late 80s.
Marwa Ibrahim
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brian
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Another book about a young kid saving an endangered species from real estate developers, similar to Hoot but not as well written.
Elena
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pretty good story/environmental propaganda about a boy adjusting to his new home/school and trying to preserve a vernal pool.
Sydney
Dec 05, 2013 marked it as to-read
love this book
Kristina
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, readygen
5th grade - biomes, environmental conservation, vernal ponds, research projects, life cycles
Tammy Patrice
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
My students loved this book. I just wish it had been better edited.
Okoro
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
it is very nice
Tony
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
so good i read it in school read-aloud!!!!!!!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Night of the Spadefoot Toads 1 4 Dec 06, 2013 05:26PM
Night of the Spadefoot Toads 2 1 Dec 06, 2013 05:26PM
Night of the Spadefoot Toads 1 1 Dec 06, 2013 05:24PM
Night of the Spadefoot Toads 1 2 Dec 06, 2013 05:24PM
  • Summer Begins (The Callahan Cousins, #1)
  • The Not-Just-Anybody Family (Blossom Family, #1)
  • I Wanna Be Your Shoebox
  • Williwaw!
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • Curious Critters
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • Diary of a Fairy Godmother
  • How Mirka Caught a Fish (Hereville #3)
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • Younguncle Comes to Town
  • Avalon: The Warlock Diaries, Volume 1
  • The Duel: The Parallel Lives of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr
  • I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
  • Manolito Gafotas (Manolito Gafotas, #1)
  • Professor Astro Cat's Frontiers of Space
  • Water Street
  • East of the Sun, West of the Moon
A two-time Grammy award-winning artist and recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from the RI Council for the Humanities, Bill uses song and story to paint a vibrant and hilarious picture of growing up, schooling and family life. His work spans the generation gap, reminds us of our common humanity and challenges us to be our very best selves. A prolific author and recording artist, Bill tours n ...more
More about Bill Harley...