Start by marking “Degrees of Separation (Adventures in the Liaden Universe® #27)” as Want to Read:
Degrees of Separation (Adventures in the Liaden Universe® #27)

Degrees of Separation

(Adventures in the Liaden Universe #27)

Life. Luck. Love. Lowport.

Life, so the wags tell us, is what happens while we're making other plans.

Luck. . .or, as some have it, chance. . .Luck is what makes Life interesting; introducing spicy bits of chaos – good, bad, and neutral. Without Luck, there is no savor – no adventure – in Life.

Love. Ah, Love. The yeast of Life, Love expands our horizons, deepens our
Published January 15th 2018 by Pinbeam Books (first published January 9th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Degrees of Separation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Degrees of Separation

Start your review of Degrees of Separation (Adventures in the Liaden Universe® #27)
Kris Sellgren
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, five_stars
A wonderful Liaden short story, set on Liaden and Lutetia. One should read this *before* “Block Party”, the opposite order in which they were written. It is so nice to read a story set (partly) on Liaden again. This is in A Liaden Universe Constellation IV.
Dan
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, liaden-universe
A very good short story!
Charlie
Shelves: reread
A wonderful new addition to the stories of the Liaden Universe. Degrees of Separation is the prequel to the current Baen Free Library short story Block Party. Don Eyre was not wanted by his clan, so sent off to a far planet to become a baker. Where he meets Serana, a captain of the Guard. After Don Eyre's Delm calls him back to the service of the clan, Serana follows as bodyguard and lover. And where they need to survive Low Port, and the antagonism of that same delm.

A very worthy read that
Lis Carey
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-sf, fiction, novella
Don Eyr fer'Gasta clan Serat is unwanted by his uncle, the delm, after the death of his mother, but he grudingly accepts him because there's no alternative that doesn't involve loss of honor. He's left to the care of the House staff, and learns to cook and bake, until his cousin the na'delm returns from school. After some mild intervention, Don Eyr is offered his choice of school, preferably offworld, away from the delm. He chooses the Ecole de Cuisine, on Lutetia, and is accepted.

Twelve years
Sctechsorceress
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, sf
This novella tells the beginning of the story of Don Eyr. Here is a tale of a man who makes the best of a very bad situation, again and again. He's every bit as much of a hero as any main character in any of the 21 Liaden novels. Unlike most of them, he never had a family to support him and help him reach his full potential. He had to do that on his own. Like a true hero, when he finds others even worse off than he is, he does what is necessary to help them, even though it puts him at risk. It's ...more
Kathy Martin
Paraphrodite
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
4 stars.

An interesting back story of the baker and the bodyguard who turned up at Surebleak. I vaguely remembered them but now want to read those books again!
Teresa Carrigan
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Satisfying novella in the Liaden Universe, providing backstory to the shorter "Block Party" which was posted online in December. The two stories may be read in either order, and there's no need to have read other stories in the Liaden Universe before either one, as long as you are will to accept some strange terms in one or more foreign languages.

This story settles the fact that the Terra of the Liaden Universe is in an alternate timeline of our own. It is clear that part of the action occurs in
Anne Yentsch
Food for the Soul

In this time of political angst, we need stories that make us feel good about ourselves and others. Degrees of Separation fulfills this need splendidly. The villains in this book are cruel, dishonorable men. The heroes, Serena Benoit and Don Eyr, are well trained in their specialties as guardsmen and baker extraordinaire. Cast away by his Delm, Eyr attends an Institute for Cuisine to become a master baker. Benoit befriends him, teaches him defensive techniques; they become close
JPT
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thomas Bätzler
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Necessary meta-information first: "Adventures in the Liaden Universe" is a series of originally self-published "chapbooks" containing stories about characters in Lee & Miller's Liaden Universe book series. "Degrees of Separation" serves as the back story to the short story "Block Party", which in turn was published on baen.com as a "seasonal" story in support of the authors' latest novel "Neogenesis". You can read it for free in Baen's "Free Stories 2017" collection available from their web ...more
Evenstar Deane
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
While I love reading a new Liaden novel, I also look forward to the shorter pieces. This one is technically a novella, I think. It’s nice to have a story focused on just one or two characters but still have the familiar background. This story would work well as a complete stand alone read too though.

Don Eyr has family/clan, but is sent away to grow up with no support. He never loses his sweet and caring nature - with a large dose of stubbornness. Serana is a tough, sensible orphan raised in a
Molly Mcginn
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Liaden Universe created by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller over many years and books and stories is rich and varied. This little gem displays the talent they possess for deftly painting in peripheral characters and adding depth. As with many of the short stories, you can read it without knowing a single thing about any of the major characters or main plotlines and enjoy a timeless story of love, necessity and the chaos that can appear in any place at any time. If, like me, you are at home in the ...more
Julia
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another great story from the Liaden Universe. This has new characters who have not been in any of the mainline novels.

Don Eyr's delm, perhaps mentally unstable, doesn't wish to see Don Eyr while he is growing up and then sends him away to be educated - at the Ecole de Cuisine off-planet. After graduating as a master baker, Don Eyr has plans which are disrupted when the delm calls him home "for the good of the clan".
Pamela
Loved It!

Another delightful addition to the Liaden saga. This story looks at how the unwanted child of the clan finds his way in the world. It explores how the mundane acts, such as cooking, are learned. It looks further at the limits of a Delm's power. Further, it explores how those without the protection of a clan can create a clan, perhaps foreshadowing the future of Clan Korval.
James Mcnulty
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great little story, backfills some of the earlier reading in the series, which always makes re-reading a pleasure. Solid performance in the Liaden Universe. Only complaint I have is that many of these are worthy of further development - that is, more stories, more books. The authors are clearly hard working, highly skilled at their craft and I can't reasonably expect more from them...., but I look forward to many more adventures in their universe.
Cassandra
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This novella is closely connected to the Liaden Universe short story, "Block Party". Here we see the background to Don Eyr and Serana with an explanation of how they formed their unconventional "family."

One of the things that struck me and has actually bothered me for a while with Liaden social structure is how badly the clan structure can serve its members. Pilot's Choice and Mouse and Dragon are all about that theme of course. Don Eyr plays by the rules and is almost destroyed as a result.
Diane
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ended abruptly

Loved every bit of this story, until I got to the end. It left me wanting more, and I realized that as with all of these short stories, more is rarely part of the plan. I am sure there is more to the tale because life goes on. The authors appear to be unable or unwilling to share it at this time. Here's hoping that they find the time.
Travis
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Another excellent installment in the Liaden universe. And, quite the tale to boot.
I can see all kinds of possibilities for moving forward from this point, it will be very interesting to see how the authors proceed from this point, I suspect we will be seeing quite the interesting collection of stories. If you're a liaden universe fan, you don't want to miss this one.
Bobbie Marcus
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How bread can make a family.

Another gem of a story, another group of characters to meet and love, mostly. We meet Don Eyr and Captain Serana Benoit, learn how they met and follow them as their love grows and their lives become complicated. Family dynamics, of family chosen and family not chosen on Load and elsewhere. I love how this expanding Universe continues to grow.
Marti
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! Don Eyr’s story takes him from Liad to Lutetia (a France-like world) and back to Liad. His adventures include learning self-defense from a female Watch captain named Serana, becoming a bakery Chef, and being sold as a slave to a Liaden clan. The tale is in Don Eyr’s handling of matters ... and, of course, his handling of the Watch captain.
Wonderful!!
Barbara
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great new Liaden story

What a lovely story. One doesn't need to have read any other Liaden books to understand this book. Great new characters. Or I guess characters that were introduced in another book, but this is their background. I hope we hear more stories about them in the future.
Joy Wilson
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another treasure

I sometimes forget how Good Writing can make an alien world so very present that it lingers on in my imagination long after the last word is read. I can always anticipate such an experience from the works of Lee and Miller. Partake, and you will enjoy.
Zaphied
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The backstory to the Baen short Block Party. Fresh breads, development of behind the scenes characters, and dabs of social upheaval just add to the taste of the croissant and pastries I ate while paging through this. No time for a cup of tea to go cold to read this lovely addition.
Kalima
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this addition to the Lee and Miller library of books set in the Liaden Universe. Since I read it after reading its sort of successor, it helped me understand the characters and action in Block Party. The two books make up a great little duology within the larger tale, or tales.
Kelly Wagner
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you follow this series, then this is a must; if you don't follow the series, this will make no sense. Novelette or long short story; Quick read.
Rita C
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't remember running into these characters in Surebleak yet, but I enjoyed this origin story none the less. Next time I run into them I will recognize them, I hope! ;)
Carlos
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent Addition to the Lianden Universe.

As always a great story to add to the vast cast of characthers in this universe, can't wait for the next one!
Curtis J Smith
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this story.

I know I will be reading this again, a beautiful love story of determination and loyalty. Could be read without reading any of the other Liaden Universe stories.

• The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Knife Children (The Sharing Knife #4.5)
  • The Flowers of Vashnoi (Vorkosigan Saga, #14.1)
  • Into the Fire (Vatta's Peace, #2)
  • Emergence (Foreigner, #19)
  • The Demon's Den and Other Tales of Valdemar
  • Though Hell Should Bar the Way (Lt. Leary, #12)
  • The Privilege of Peace (Peacekeeper, #3; Confederation, #8)
  • A Call to Vengeance (Honorverse: Manticore Ascendant, #3)
  • Eye Spy (Valdemar: Family Spies, #2)
  • A Fantastic Holiday Season: The Gift of Stories
  • The Hills Have Spies (Valdemar: Family Spies #1, Valdemar #43)
  • The Sky-Blue Wolves (Emberverse #15)
  • The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
  • Through Fiery Trials (Safehold, #10)
  • The Spark
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • Black Chamber (Tales from the Black Chamber #1)
Sharon Lee has been married to her first husband for more than half her lifetime; she is a friend to cats, a member of the National Carousel Association, and oversees the dubious investment schemes of an improbable number of stuffed animals.

Despite having been born in a year of the dragon, Sharon is an introvert. She lives in Maine because she likes it there. In fact, she likes it so much that she

Adventures in the Liaden Universe (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Two Tales of Korval (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #1)
  • Fellow Travelers  (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #2)
  • Duty Bound (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #3)
  • Certain Symmetry (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #4)
  • Trading in Futures (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #5)
  • Changeling  (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #6)
  • Loose Cannon (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #7)
  • Shadows and Shades (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #8)
  • Quiet Knives (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #9)
  • With Stars Underfoot (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #10)
“Policemen and criminals were not so very much different.  So said Grand-père Filepe.  Certainly, they tended to know the same people, to drink in the same places, to roam the same streets at very nearly the same hours.” 0 likes
“The House Commander had a strong vocabulary, indeed. The rumor was that each commander logged every curse word in a massive book, kept under lock and key, and that adding to this book had been the sacred duty of Benoit Commanders for centuries.” 0 likes