Start by marking “The Three of Us” as Want to Read:
The Three of Us

The Three of Us

A life lived in the shadows. A love that should never have been hidden.

In the small town of Gawler, South Australia, the tang of cut grass and eucalyptus mingles on the warm air. The neat houses perched under the big gum trees on Church Street have been home to many over the years. Years of sprinklers stuttering over clipped lawns, children playing behind low brick walls.
Published January 30th 2018 by Macmillan Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Three of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three of Us

Start your review of The Three of Us
Brenda
Newly married, excited and oh so happy, Elsie and Thomas Mullet arrived at the house Thomas had bought for them. Gawler in South Australia, just north of Adelaide – the suburbs where the little family could grow to a bigger family; have a future. Thomas was the top salesman in Bagnoli’s homeware store and continuing to do well. Mr Bagnoli was very happy with him and his ability to finish a sale on anything, from the new-fangled vacuum cleaners to the expensive washing machines.

Elsie and Thomas t
Sharon
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Newlyweds Elsie and Thomas Mullet couldn't be happier as they move into their first home that Thomas purchased for them situated in Gawler in South Australia. This would be the home where in time Elsie and Thomas would start a family. The street in which they lived was tidy, well maintained and the neighbours were friendly, it was a great neighbourhood to raise a family or was it.

The neighbourhood they once believed was a great place to live started to change. With secrets and lies starting to
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Small town fiction based in Gawler, South Australia, is the focus of Australian author Kim Lock’s third novel. The Three of Us is a rousing novel, that strikes at the very core of human relationships, revealing how love can come in many forms, when we least expect it.

In a small neighbourhood in the South Australian town of Gawler, newlyweds Thomas and Elise Mullet have settled into their new home and are looking forward to starting a family together. In this
Tien
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The one sure thing I know I’ll come across in this novel is a female character giving birth. Well, okay, maybe I don’t actually know for sure but that’s 3 out of 3! It’s not the focus of this particular novel but it’s there… I remember my reading experience of Lock’s novel (Peace, Love, and Khaki Socks) and I could never forget that birthing scene and it will always forever colour my view of Kim Lock’s novels. She’s just gone from strength to strength!

The Three of Us opens with Thomas Mullet, a
Cass Moriarty
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Author Kim Lock writes novels that examine the turbulent gamut of human emotions and challenge our sense of the dichotomies of right and wrong, of good and bad. She takes situations and twists them into something new and unusual; she creates circumstances that test our comfort zone of the familiar and offer up a thought-provoking alternative. Her characters are easily relatable but at the same time caught up in events that we can’t quite believe are unfolding…and this produces the best kind of q ...more
Theresa Smith
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww2018
The Three of Us might just be one of the most surprising novels I’ve ever read. But I can’t tell you about it. Because that will ruin the surprise and this is definitely a case of the less you know the better. And I don’t mean this in the usual spoiler way. It’s just that you start out reading this novel and then very early on, you get the first surprise, and your mind builds up this picture and you begin to feel smug, because you know where this is going, except you’re wrong. And when you find ...more
Bree T
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was not the story I was expecting when I picked it up!

Thomas and Elsie are newlyweds, moving into their first home together in Gawler. It’s not modern day, so Elsie resigns from her job upon her marriage and her new role is to keep house for her husband and presumably, to become a mother when nature takes its course. This is not a role Elsie seems to adapt to or even seems suited to but at the time, it was the only role really available to her. It was what was expected – she also had t
J.M. Peace
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What happens when society can't accept the way you live your life? And you have to keep it secret to stay safe? The small town of Gawler in the 1960s was a traditional and conventional place, so when Thomas and Elsie Mullet befriend the young lady next door, they can't imagine where this relationship will lead.

Spanning fifty years, this story puts the compelling lead characters into thought-provoking situations as their unconventional family begins, then grows and changes. Lock does an excellen
Julie Dugong
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Kims latest book. The story had me from start to finish and I couldn't put it down. Its a great read.
Jenn J McLeod
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Depending on who you are, this story may be shocking, or it may simply be a beautiful story about life and love, friendship and devotion. This is the first Kim Local novel for me and I have to say her writing style is beautiful, soulful and easy. Read it in one sitting, or in two (as I did), or fit it around your day. It’s that kind of book - one that demands nothing of you but an open heart and mind.
Lee Kofman
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just read this rare novel that describes a non-monogamous relationship without sensationalising it, with great sensitivity. Regardless of the theme, artistically this is a terrific book, full of vivid details and nuanced humour. The story is gripping. I highly recommend, and especially if you're interested in ethical non-monogamy.
Maggie
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
An engrossing and unexpected read whose cover and blurb did not reflect the storyline.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aww, own
My View:
Subtle, gentle and topical, this book has something to offer all discerning readers. It is a powerful love story, an optimistic read. It is also a historical novel, an Australian study of domestic life in the conservative suburbs in the 1960’s; a time that saw the middle class boom and the slow beginnings of the equal rights movement for women. Fifty years on and the author reminds us that there are still some barriers that need to be broken.

Kim Lock has cannily crafted a narrative that
Kelly
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic read from Kim Lock. The best yet! The Three of Us focuses on love, tenderness, and acceptance in a way rarely seen. The characters are real and fleshy; their interactions genuine and relatable.
Kim Lock just goes from strength to strength, and I dare anyone to pick this up and not be moved by it.
Ben Finn
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before I begin my review, a big thanks to the author for nagging her publishers into making this available in Canada.

This book was an utter delight, from start to finish. The story of a husband and wife who fall in love with another woman and how they spend their lives together, it is not a story of melodramatic explosions. It's a quiet, thoughtful tale that manages to both explore the changing mores of Australia over five decades, and also explore the lives of closeted polyamorous people. This
Mark
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For a book to earn five stars from me, it has to be extraordinary - and this one was. To tell exactly what it's about would be to give away the story, but it's the story of an unconventional marriage and family told from the 1950s to the present. The book is set in Gawler, South Australia, although the references are fairly vague. Nevertheless, the author creates a marvellous sense of place and the location supports the story. It's the characters that were so well crafted and hugely likeable, de ...more
Sheryl Maree Akintola
A wonderfully amazing story!

I can't describe how beautiful this story is! I started reading and had to force myself to stop.... the story wasn't at all what I was expecting and if asked, I couldn't tell others without doing a disservice - one of the most beautiful books I've ever read!!
Rebecca Freeborn
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is just a gorgeous book. It would be easy to over-dramatise such a topic, but Kim Lock shows restraint, subtlety and nuance without ever being overly sentimental. The ending left me in tears.
Wendy Harper
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely gentle read with intriguing and delicately-treated subject matter. I particularly loved the poetically accurate description of a mother's let-down reflex.
Kerrie Paterson
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written unconventional love story. It's a great journey through Australia's culture and attitude over the decades in which it's set. Must read!!
Meredith
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing and believable novel set near Gawler, South Australia, following the relationships which develop between neighbours.
Emma Repacholi
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kims books just get better and better. A great read on what happens behind closed doors. Your normal doesn't have to be everyones normal. A great book in which I can see a great movie translate. Looking forward to the next book.
Anastasia Boufant
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This touching story that Kim Lock has created is a heart warming read on the complexities of human relationships and the limitlessness of love.
The story moved me from sadness to laughter and complete curiosity. A beautifully perfect ending! I look forward to reading this talented authors next novel.
Kylie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this more than expected. I couldn't put this one down. I felt a part of the family. I felt like I knew a secret that couldn't be told. I felt like I knew the love and tenderness behind the secrets. Maybe I also just loved how I felt like I could relate being in the town I grew up in. I felt at home. I didn't want this one to end. I was left wanting more.
Margi
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a very interesting and well written book and definitely pulled me in from the very start.
This would be a great book club novel as it will open some very diverse conversations. This was a novel that will challenge many people's moral values, as the life the 3 main character's chose to live will not sit well with everyone. It was not the story I was expecting at all and certainly had me questioning my moral values .I sound a bit evasive but don't want to ruin the storyline and allow each
Leisa
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve just finished The Three of Us. I tried to take it slow to savour the characters and the story, but also couldn’t stop reading due to the pleasure of the way the words unfolded onto the page. Lock weaves a beautiful story so effortlessly and continues her talent of writing tales that are ordinary and yet extraordinary. This is the perfect book for someone who wants an easy read yet also wants a rich story that will stay with you. I couldn’t recommend it more highly.
Michelle Lewis
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and while it was an easy read it made me keep wanting to read on. The subject matter was addressed really well and with lots of compassion. Thoroughly enjoyable
Glenys
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this book. Not at all what I expected.
Janine
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating book set in a time and place I can relate to.
Kerrie McDonald

• The House of Second Chances
  • One Small Step...
  • Last Night at the Mount Solemn Observatory: A #LoveOzYA Short Story
  • The Love Story of Missy Carmichael
  • The Rosie Result (Don Tillman, #3)
  • Just One Wish
  • The Peacock Summer
  • Into Africa With a Smile
  • The Day The Lies Began
Kim Lock is the author of three novels. Her writing has also appeared in, amongst others, Kill Your Darlings, The Guardian, Daily Life, and The Sydney Morning Herald online.

In between writing, Kim works as a freelance graphic designer. Kim's third novel, The Three of Us, will be published by Pan Macmillan Australia in 2018.