Start by marking “Jeopardy in January (Calendar Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Jeopardy in January (Calendar Mysteries #1)

Jeopardy in January

(Calendar Mysteries #1)

From USA Today bestselling author Camilla Chafer comes a brand new mystery.

Welcome to Calendar where life is sweet, but death is murder.

Sara Cutler loves her job as head librarian of the public library, an integral part of the historic heart of the picturesque mountain town, Calendar. The combination of old books, quirky clientele, and endless reading is nothing less
Published December 31st 2017 by Audacious (first published December 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Jeopardy in January, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jeopardy in January

Start your review of Jeopardy in January (Calendar Mysteries #1)
Kevin
Jan 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery

I started reading this because I needed a book with a title that starts with J for a A-Z Title Challenge I joined the challenge to discover new cozy series that Id enjoy. So far I found this book and The Wonkiest Witch and I still have 7 more books to find before Im done.

This was good but I was looking for a new series, and while this is a series per se, its a series of stand alone novels with different main characters all set in the same town Calendar. This book was built around Sara the town
Tari
I chose this book for one book challenge I'm doing, but realized it will probably work for a few others as well. On top of all that, I enjoyed it so much! I can't believe I waited this long to read it. I really loved all the main characters, but from reading the upcoming blurbs for other books in the series, I'm not sure if these characters will appear or not. It seems like they are all free-standing, but at least this book had a very nice ending!

Sara Cutler, head librarian of the Calendar
Meg
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good start to a new series. I've been long a fan of the author's Lexi Graves books and was happy to see this. At the moment I still heavily favor Lexi Graves but plan to follow this one to see where the author leads me.
Jeanie Jackson
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved Jeopardy in January! It was a great with loveable characters and intriguing and unique plot.
I not only loved the main character, but quickly became attached to the people of the community that I met through the book. I can't wait to discover each person's story as the series rolls out.

My only disappointment was that any librarian would consider giving up the job if she lost the building no matter how attached but I will forgive as emotions of the situation and because I really liked her.
Lise
Jan 30, 2020 rated it did not like it
Wow! So many exclamation marks! So! Many!!! I would hate to have a conversation with a person like Sara, she (and everyone in Calendar) are hyper excited about everything. And anything! Its ridiculous. Simple statements that arent exciting or meant to be yelled end in exclamation points for no reason whatsoever.

For example: Sara is talking to Officer Nixon who is staking out Brees apartment to make sure no one attempts to break in again. He mentions freezing his ass off, she says she read in a
Lindsay♫SingerOfStories♫
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy, 2020-reads
Full review to come, but until then, here are a couple of thoughts to hold me over:
-I figured out where the "treasure" was hidden pretty early on.
-Well-written story for a cozy but I just couldn't believe it was only 178 pages?! It seemed to go on for way longer!
-I understand the MC is a librarian but the closing of the library concept and her closed-mindedness about it was a bit over the top.
-Great secondary characters -- Sara's mom, Detective Logan, Jason...tertiary characters Sara meets
Judy
Feb 06, 2020 added it
Got this free from Amazon Kindle as I needed a quick and easy read. The thing that got me curious with the series is that all 12 novels will be featuring a different protagonist per book, involving the whole town.. not your usual one lady main character. Something different in the cozy mystery world. All the covers are as colorful too, pleasing to the eyes.

Taking place in Calendar, USA Jeopardy in January happens in January, after winter and features Sara Cutler, the Librarian. Solved this one
Sandee
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very nice start to a new cozy mystery series. The characters are well developed the relationships feel real and the story is well-written. I really liked the main characters but I found the plot a bit predictable and guessed the murderer early in the story. However, I still enjoyed the book and intend to read the next book which seems to center on a different character in the same town.
Kellene
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh... didn't love it, didn't hate it. The town was pretty typical cozy mystery small-town, nothing really distinguishing. The characters weren't engaging, and the MC made me want to shake her sometimes. I had the mystery pretty much figured out and other "resolutions" were super predictable.
Victoria
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
It felt like this took forever to read because not only did the main character seem like she was somehow old and naive despite only being in her twenties, but the entire ending was predictable from the very beginning.
Bryna Bischoff
Mar 24, 2020 rated it liked it
it took me far too long to read this book especially given there is far more free time than not given COVID19 upon us - I found the story to be somewhat entertaining but often at times too wordy with details not pertaining to the actual plot so I felt no desire to keep reading- its not a page turner
It is a comfortable book to read however, and I would read another in the series as time permits and when my mind isn't consumed with all the details surrounding this pandemic - homeschooling, work
Sandy Bartles
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sara Cutler is head librarian of the public library in Calendar and is fighting to save the historic library from being demolished by big city developer, Jason Rees. Things turn worse for her when a body is discovered in the rare books section. I love the interaction between Sara and Jason. This is a wonderful author and I have enjoyed reading this book and all her others. She grabs me at the beginning and doesn't let go!
Sue
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
I found the mystery a bit too easy to guess, and the heroine in the middle of 3 interesting/ interested men seemed a bit much. But the mix with the library as the center of a crime and people who do not tell the truth, seemed interesting and I enjoyed this as a cozy set in a small town. We all tell white lies at times, so I thought more about truth telling and how that effects out inteactions with others.
Lise
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a pleasant read this was!

Our heroine, Sara, is a librarian in the most interesting library. Sure, it's a little ragged around the edges, but who wouldn't kill to work in a lovely old Victorian building. Wait, that was probably a bad choice of words. Sara's initial problem concerns greedy developers who want to tear her workplace down in order to erect cookie cutter homes for the masses. But then it gets worse as her co-worker is murdered on the second floor of the library. Not only is a
Bookgyrl
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy, small-town
What a nice surprise to get a new book by Camilla Chafer. I always enjoy her Lexi Graves-books and now I have a new favorite.

Sara is librarian in the small town of Calendar and is determined to save the old library building she works in. The council wants to sell it and Jason Rees is the representative of the development company that wants to demolish it for new houses. So Sara is not very happy with Jason to say the least. When she walks in on the murder of one of her colleagues, Sara is
Elisa
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow that was a fantastic read, once I started I just couldn't stop.
Sara Cutler small town librarian with a heart of gold, a strong sense of community and a drive to keep her town a really community.

Jason works for a big city development company his bosses who have probably never stepped foot into the small town of Calendar before want to buy up the historic library knock it down and build modern housing and Jason was fine with his companies plans until he actually visits the charming quaint
Dora
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jeopardy in January

Sara Cutler seemed to have it all...her dream job as head librarian of her hometown library, friends, and good looks. There was one big impediment to her happiness in the form of Jason Rees who represents the company that has a contract to buy the old library and tear it down to make room for a new housing development. One other problem arises when she finds her assistant dead in the library. Fortunately, Jason arrives in time to keep Sara from sharing her assistants fate.

Lynn Neilson
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
While I prefer Camilla Chafer's Lexi Graves series, this first book in what is promised as a new series, is a fairly good read. There is a little too much repetition of the main character revisiting her list of suspects, (and revisiting yet again) and a little too much "really? that's a dumb thing to do" reader response to actions on her part, but the story line is interesting and who doesn't like a book about a dedicated librarian, keen researcher and therefore perfect crime solver, of which ...more
Terric853
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Cute cozy mystery. Sara Cutler is the librarian in small-town Calendar. She is determined to save the 100-year-old library from demolition; the town council has agreed to sell the property to a corporation who wants to build houses on the land on which the library sits. The corporation has promised to build a new modern library outside of town, but Sara loves the character and history of the original library.

One snowy night, Sara locks up the library but realizes on her walk home that she forgot
Brenda Vanpatten
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable read!

Camilla Chafer's works are consistently good. Plot lines run smoothly. Unsavory language isn't used and the characters come across as real people. Sara is the main character and the reader enjoys seeing the town and people of Calendar through her eyes. Details describe the pretty little town as a place where people can live comfortably but not be too far from a city with more to offer. As a tourist attraction, Calendar is open for the arrival of more Characters - some there
Kristen
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies
This was a perfectly decent cozy mystery. There was nothing earth-shaking, and yes it was a little predictable, but I enjoyed it.

Sara is a librarian, so I was predisposed to like her right off the bat. She does some of the typical cozy heroine foolish moves in the attempt to figure out the murder, but she is likable and engaging.

The town of Calendar and its cast of small-town busy-bodies is also for the most part likable and charming. They are a fun bunch of folks.

The mystery was pretty
Carlin
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-kindle
Murder in the town library

This was a delightful cozy mystery. The characters were well realized, especially Sara the town librarian in Calendar (the protagonist). Although it is the first in the Calendar mystery series, it is a stand-alone so there is no back story from prior books nor was there a cliffhanger ending to entice one to read the next book..... my kind of cozy. I would definitely read more about this charming town with, I'm sure, more than its share of murder and mahem!
Jessica
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
This was rough. Although it was cute it was INCREDIBLY predictable. Like meet a character, know all their secrets predictable. Unfortunately Sara (the mc) is dumber than a box of rocks.

Ok. My meanness is out of the way. Sorry. Calendar is a super cute and inviting setting and the towns inhabitants made me like the book. The last few chapters were a little hard to read because Sara displayed little to no sense but beyond that she wasn't bad. I don't read a lot of cozy mysteries so maybe it's just
Amanda Winburn
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another Great Series

Another great series by Camilla Chafer. I enjoyed Jeopardy in January very much and enjoyed meeting the new characters in Calendar. I look forward to more mysteries from this town. This story has the town librarian trying to figure out who killed her assistant all while trying to save Calendar 's library from being closed permanently. I figured out the mystery fairly early in this book so more suspects may have helped to keep readers guessing but it was still a fun and
Kelli's fire
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Not so much a whodunit as a whydunit.

This is the first in a series, not a bad way to start. No icky violence (just a dead body & a whack on the head) No overt sex (just a smooch & suggestions) and our female lead isn't a bimbo (unlike some of the other books I've read lately).
Murder in a small town makes for a lot of gossip. Is any of it true?
I'll read the second one and let you know if I still want to continue on...
Sandra Kent
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Library mystery

Story about a librarian caught up in solving a murder of a gal who worked with her. Had a different premise which I enjoyed. The main character was extremely naive, so much that the story line became very predictable and the librarian a bit annoying. And why decide to put yourself in incredible danger and not even see it until too late? The other characters needed a bit more depth. Not a boring story at all though.
pam laporte
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good mystery

Really enjoyed it. Sara was a librarian to the town library that was going to be bought , tire down and built houses in its spot . Jason represented the company that was buying it. Brew was her assistant and was found murdered. Why would anyone murder such a sweet girl in a town where murder did not happen? Secrets started to pop up about Beer and Sara started investigating at the frustration of detective logan. Great read, twists and secrets.
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to read this new book by Camilla Chafer one of my favorite authors of romance/mystery books. The main character Sara is a librarian trying to save the old historic building the library is housed in, from developers looking to replace it with generic housing. When Sara's assistant is murdered in the library it seems that all hope is lost. Just when you think you have everything figured out there is a twist having you second guess what you thought you knew. A fun overall read!
Michelle
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Calendar Mysteries are a new series by Camilla Chafer.
They are different from the Lexi and Stella books, which is good.
I read this book whilst travelling, and it was so engrossing I didn't mind the long plane journey.
We meet Sara, Librarian, in Calendar, who finds her colleague murdered in the library. We follow the intrigue of how we think we know someone but really don't know them well.
I enjoyed all the characters and laughed quite a lot.
Michelle Ferrari-Johnson
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pirates

A librarian who won't give up without a fight ~
A developer who wants to tear down her library ~
A murder in the rare book section ~

All Sara has to do, is figure out who murdered her part time assistant and why, to keep her library. While Jason's original intent was to convince her to move the library to another location, he is pulled towards her and determined to help her solve this murder~
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Life in the Dead Lane (Secret Seal Isle Mysteries, #2)
  • Death on the Diversion (Secret Sleuth #1)
  • One Hex of a Wedding (A Chintz 'n China Mystery, #5)
  • Murder in the Manor (A Lacey Doyle Cozy Mystery, Book 1)
  • Death in the Park (Firefly Junction Mystery #1)
  • Reservation with Death (The Park Hotel Mysteries #1)
  • Never Mess with Mistletoe (Leigh Koslow Mystery #10)
  • Best Murder in Show (Sophie Sayers Village Mystery #1)
  • Humpty Bumpkin (Country Cousin Mysteries #1)
  • Probable Paws (Mystic Notch #5)
  • Murder at Mistletoe Manor
  • Up in Smoke (Glock Grannies #1)
  • Hairless Harassment (Pet Whisperer P.I. #3)
  • Peril in Pensacola (Accidentally Undercover #1)
  • No Place to Vanish (Murder in the Keys, #2)
  • A Shot in the Bark (Lia Anderson Dog Park Mysteries, #1)
  • Apple Orchard Cozy Mystery Series: Box Set One (Apple Orchard Cozy #1-3)
  • Mummified Meringues (Lexy Baker #10)
Hi! I'm a USA Today bestselling author of mystery and urban fantasy novels. I'm also a freelance journalist and have written for newspapers, magazines and websites throughout the world.

Calendar Mysteries (5 books)
  • Fear in February (Calendar Mysteries #2)
  • Murder in March (Calendar Mysteries #3)
  • Alibi in April (Calendar Mysteries #4)
  • Mayhem in May (Calendar Mysteries #5)