Start by marking “The Unkindness of Ravens” as Want to Read:
The Unkindness of Ravens

The Unkindness of Ravens

The oba is dead.

The Eight Great Houses are under attack ... and they are losing.

What's worse than being ignored by your god?

As the royal heir from House Crow, Anari is desperate to protect his people from a plague-driven war.

Without the blessing of his god, he doesn't have the magical power to compete in the succession battle for the beaded crown of the oba. He is easy pr
Paperback
Published July 17th 2018 by Bimulous Books

To ask other readers questions about The Unkindness of Ravens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unkindness of Ravens

Start your review of The Unkindness of Ravens
☙ nemo ❧
this was a very original novella, set in a high fantasy version of a west african country in which the gods are real, and one god presides over each of the eight houses. unluckily for anari, the heir to house crow and a contender for the throne, lord crow is a trickster god. luckily, anari has a few tricks of his own...

i liked the mythology a lot, although because this was a novella there was definitely room for development. although the plot was resolved, there still was a whisper of a suggest
Amna Ikhlaq
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a free, digital copy of The Unkindness of Ravens, in exchange for an honest review.

Fantasy is my go-to genre, as I've said time and again. And these days it seems that most new stories are focused on fae characters. So the magical world and characters in The Unkindness of Ravens are a welcome breach in the trend. The world building is close to reality and many words in terms of language and currency appear to be borrowed from indigenous regions of Africa
Banshee
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel follows the royal heir, Anari. He is from House Crow which worships Lord Crow. There are Eight Houses that each worship a different Lord and therefore have different physical and magical attributes and rules. The current Oba (ruler) is dying and a new ruler must be chosen before he dies. Anari doesn't want this so he decides to go into exile. While in exile he meets some infidels (enemies) and the Scorned (forsaken ones).

The characters were very well written. I liked Anari, in the be
Jess Combs
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy novels
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! (Sorry, had to get that out of the way before I went on.)

From the very beginning of The Unkindness of Ravens, Abra Staffin-Wiebe has you fully engaged in the world of House Crow and House Raven (two of the Eight Great Houses). I didn’t even realize how emotionally attached I was to two of the main characters, Anari and Kayin, until Anari is close to death in the first few pages…

I knew he had to live.

According to the description of the book, there was no book without him. And
Annelies
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a digital copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! Spoilers will be tagged as such.

This was not a long book?? I mean, I didn’t expect it to be long for some reason, but it was really short. That was both positive and negative and I’d like to think the fast pace worked in its favor. If you have nothing to do for a few hours, I highly recommend this book.

There are eight Great Houses, let’s see if I can name them all: Crow, Raven, Rat, Horse, F
Elizabeth
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, fantasy, fiction
Michelle
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Unkindness of Ravens is a riveting epic fantasy novella about a young heir traversing the upheaval of his life. When everything changes, he learns about the world outside of his limited experience.

Abra creates characters that are relatable and humorous. The ending of the book was satisfying, but left me wanting more stories from this world.
Daniella Featherstone
A good short story. I liked the idea of the gods of animals and it felt sort of based on eastern myths. It did jump around a lot though and it could have been made longer, with more content.
Sharyn Taylor
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really I think now Ruth Rendell has surpassed PD James as my favorite British mystery writer.
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, own, fiction
This was a great story. One of the best things I've read this year! Loved the mythology behind the Houses based on animals.
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed this Novella. It was a quick, light fantasy read in a world where different clans (?) are fighting for control of the kingdom once the Oba dies. These clans are separated according to specific animals who are their gods. Certain special members of the clans are offered the gods favour in the form of special powers, etc. And when there is a challenge for control of the kingdom, these favou
George Blesi
Rowland
rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2020
Tina
rated it did not like it
Jan 20, 2019
Lauren Reads
Julie Friar

• Firewalkers
  • White Noise
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp #18)
  • Aftershocks (The Palladium Wars, #1)
  • The Runaway Jury
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Notes of a Dirty Old Man
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
Abra Staffin-Wiebe loves dark science fiction, cheerful horror, and futuristic fairy tales. Dozens of her short stories have appeared at publications including Tor.com, Escape Pod, and Odyssey Magazine. She lives in Minneapolis, where she wrangles her children, pets, and the mad scientist she keeps in the attic. Discover more of her fiction at her website, http://www.aswiebe.com. ...more