Start by marking “The Letter” as Want to Read:
The Letter

The Letter

The Letter is a beautiful novel set in England between the First World War and the present day. Perfect for fans of Downton Abbey, it is the story of an aristocratic family, a forbidden love affair and the darkest of secrets kept for over one hundred years.

Published December 31st 2017 by Notting Hill Press

To ask other readers questions about The Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Letter

Start your review of The Letter
Book-shelf Shelf
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where to start on this review. First off I have to say I am in no related to Ruth and this totally my views on this book. The reason I am telling you this is due to the review. I can not in any way shape or form now gush over this book!
The story line is one that will rip at your heart,soul and mind. The characters become old friends very quickly and the reader is sent on a journey like no other. The emotion is raw and kicks in the gut at a fast pace. Description of the area of Cornwall is one
Ruth Saberton
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
This is my own book and really I wanted to post something here about what it means to me and why I wrote it. I won't reveal any spoilers as the mystery is key to the plot. Below is the blurb from Amazon:

From Amazon Bestselling author Ruth Saberton comes an unforgettable story of long lost love, war, and heartbreaking betrayal.

What if death is not the end?

Teresa
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this book. I was ready to DNF it at 39% because we were still in the modern story which for me was getting repetitive and a little boring. However, I plodded on and oh my am I glad I did. When the historical part of the story started, which is the part I love best, it just grabbed me, reeled me in and wouldn't let go.
Chloe, a young widow, is the center of the modern day story. I didn't really take to her. This part of the story was too long and she started to grate on me a
Anne
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
I never fail to love a book that makes me want to unplug the telephone, curl up in my comfiest chair, and not move again until I’ve read the very last page – and this gorgeous book most definitely fits into that category. There are times, when you’re really looking forward to a book, that it just doesn’t quite live up to your expectations – but this wonderful book exceeded them in every possible way.

Following on from the stunning prologue, and into the present day story, Chloe won my heart from
Anna
Whilst the writing throughout was way too flowery and gushy for me, the final few chapters were very moving and made even more poignant by the author's notes where she tells us the story was based on the tragic WWI love affair between her great aunt Ella and her MIA fiance Arthur. So so sad.
Janice Melvin
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Far. Too. Long.

Nice story. Good writer. Far too long and plodding, a decisive book editor would have made thus much better. Chloe - the main character - insufferable.
Pam
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Letter: A Captivating Story of Forbidden Love, Secrets, and Sacrifice is written by Ruth Saberton. This book is a World War I book and it is just as captivating as advertised. Ruth has a knack of taking the reader into the past and actually living the lives through of her characters. Her use of descriptions of the mansion and the town as well as that of the characters makes the reader feel you are there with them and know everything about them. The pain of losing a loved one in war is hard ...more
Tracey
Really lovely story told over two storylines. The first is Chloe Pencarrow , a widow moving for a new life in Cornwall and getting enthralled by the mystery of a daisy on a stained glass window in a church . Finding letters from a girl named Daisy to a man called Kit she endeavours to find out the truth about what happened to them both .
The storylines goes back and forth in the time of Chloe and Matt , and in the time of Daisy and Kit.
The story is heartbreaking and beautifully touches on the
Sandra McKenna
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very moving read

Just let me wipe away the tears before I begin.
This book is a compelling and very moving dual timeline set in the present day and the early 20th century .
Following the loss of her husband, Chloe moves into an old rectory in Cornwall. It isn't long before she comes across a memorial in the church, and is determined to reveal the story behind it.
Well written, and although the beginning appeared to be a bit drawn out for me, it wasn't long before I was embroiled in the story.
Rhonda Ruff
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved this story! Took me awhile to read because I didn’t want to rush! I love the present and the past story! My favorite kind of books!
Joan
May 21, 2019 added it
Okay. First things first.

The writing is beautiful, the characters are engaging, the relationship develops realistically and the story builds to a dramatic climax without any sense of 'haste.'

But.

Globbits, its depressing.

Slight spoiler ahead: (view spoiler)
Linda
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a love story with meaning . Kit and Daisy's love story was based on a true story known by the author. Because I knew of two similar stories about star crossed lovers in about the same time period, the book meant a great deal to me. I learned about marrying within one's class, that love does not recognize classes, that love can be so profound that it never dies.

Kit was horribly disturbed mentally and physically in fighting The Great War. The author made a statement that wars had never
Rebecca
May 19, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 00-own-a-copy
Free on Kindle
Tiana
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Strangely enough I finished a book the other day that was a lot like this one, so I was a bit thrown off originally. But, technique-wise, this was not too bad of a book. The writing style appealed to me, especially in the beginning chapters, and I felt things were leading towards the main plot rather nicely. I loved that The Letter is inspired by a somewhat of a true story, it made the characters and reason for the story much more real at times.

I enjoyed the historical element, though I'm not
Adele
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This latest novel by Ruth Saberton is achingly beautiful. Such strength in a love so tragic. I believe The Letter is Ruth Saberton’s best story yet and it will certainly be one of my outstanding reads for 2018.

The extensive research that the author must have taken and the love of a lost love story of her Great Aunt clearly shows across the pages. Scenes were clearly laid out and you could picture them and feel the emotions of the characters. Many a time emotions took over me and I was swamped
Jan
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it

On the eve of the First World War aspiring poet Kit Rivers looks forward to a bright future. As the Lord of the Manor's heir, Kit’s duty is to the family estate but when he falls passionately in love he knows a hard choice must be made. Yet
Sunhawk
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Faith Emmett
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WWI Novel

If you love Historical Fiction, you’ll love this book. What better way to remember the “War to end all Wars “ during the 100 year anniversary. I loved how the author wove the story back and forth between two centuries. The characters were very real and were based on memories of the author’s own relatives. May we never forget the people who lived and loved during this war.
Linda McCormack
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Repetitive and predictable

I skipped through a lot of pages which is unusual for me. Nice story but dragged out too much to fill pages.
Pamela
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too flowery. Too YA. Too long. Too repetitive. Don’t waste your time.
Nancy G. Murdoch
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Too maudlin and overly sentimental

Parts of the book were lovely but most was dripping with self pity and misery. There is no happy ending. Of course life is like that, but I don't enjoy books that allow the characters to live a constant pity party. Perhaps others might enjoy that, however I did not.
Maggie
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book came through my family history searches and is not the usual genre I read . I have to say I was hooked from page 1 - a love story with a mystery set in the present and early twentieth century. Very well written and could not put it down. The characters are so real and the plot unusual - highly recommended
Lihsa
Ok. Pretty slow. The modern character became rather tiresome and I was ready to get into the past story way before the author got there. And most of the mystery was predictable. I couldn't quite believe that the main character was outwitting an Oxford professor.
Valerie
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wanted to like this book--but DNF. Too slow, too many pages where nothing happened, with repetitive thoughts by the main characters.
Jessica
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A novel to get lost in...

This book was impossible to put down. I found myself reading into the wee hours of the morning...until my Kindle was out of juice! Picked it up as soon as I awoke, and only stopped to keep my haircut appointment. Then back to reading. It grabbed me from the first page. The main character, Chloe, is a widow who escapes to Cornwall to mourn her young husband's untimely death, away from the impatient eyes of her family, friends, and therapist. She chooses Cornwall because
Ursula Clarke
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Ruth Saberton. I love the Polwenna Bay series and my other 2 favourites to date have been The Island Legacy and Dead Romantic.
The Letter is nothing like Ruth has written before and has now become my firm favourite. Ruth has shown a completely different side to her writing skills in this amazing story of how true love can never be defeated.
I love the way Ruth writes in the present day and draws you in to develop a connection with Chloe. As her character grows and we find more
Cindy Woods
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A tearjerker

I call this book a true tearjerker. It is filled with so much emotion it bursts into the pages as a young widow tries to navigate her grief and get on with living without her beloved husband.

The plot is excellent and motivated me to want to continue reading as the widow, having moved to Cornwall attempting to get a hold on her single life, becomes embroiled in an investigation into the life of a young poet who lost his life in WWI.

The descriptions of loss of her husband is well done,
M$fortune
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm all over the place with this story. Part of me wants to give 5 stars for the writing and the depth of emotion conveyed through ever page, every word. But then there's a 1 star part of me that thinks writing this good should have a happy ending. I'm a sucker for a happy ending. The horrors of daily life are the reason I retreat into the land of fiction so I hate reading sad stories! So I knocked a star off for the sake of my own reading preference. Sorry.

With that said; for the first several
Texas
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Letter - What a wonderful story; written similar to the manner of Rosamunde and Maeve! I loved the way Neil was always there, yet, in Cornwall, there are no memories to interfere with Chloe's grief. This is a well written, mesmerizing story with interesting, believable characters that grow as the story progresses. The story telling flows along, keeping the reader locked in the pages. The emotions run the gamut from grief to excitement to happiness to horror, among others.

The mystery about
Debbie Odachowski
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down!

I have never had such an emotional response to a book that I have read. Ms. Saberton's wonderful take of love and loss felt by characters living there lives with side by side stories both in the present and in the past. I could visualize and feel every scene and sorrow felt by her wonderful characters. I couldn't put it down but had to slow down my reading because I didn't want it to end. Reading how the loss of lives during the First World War devastated a whole

• The Stationmaster’s Daughter
  • Where The Story Starts
  • The Girl at the Window
  • The Promise
  • Genealogy
  • The Book Club
  • The Memory Tree
  • Her Last Promise
  • The Color of a Memory (The Color of Heaven, #5)
  • Gracie's Song
  • The Secrets Mothers Keep
  • Impossible Dream (The Percy Place Series Book 1)
  • The Heart of the Garden
  • The Photograph
  • The Planter's Wife
  • The Secret Letter
  • The Lost Letters
  • The Art of Inheriting Secrets
Ruth Saberton is a bestselling British author with over 25 books written under her own and pen names. Her books feature romance and secrets and are set in beautiful Cornwall.
Her latest book THE LETTER is available now!

Amazon UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruth-Saberto...
Amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07...

Ruth loves to to talk to her readers. Interact with her on her website
“We look for sense and we search for patterns or a grand design in the desperate attempt to make meaning out of what frightens us the most – the possibility that there is no meaning. Bad things happen to good people. Evil prospers. Young fit men get sick and die. Children starve. Teenagers are murdered in bomb blasts at music concerts. There is no reason or divine plan. Crap things happen. End of.” 2 likes
“Now there are only fragments left, memories disintegrating like autumn leaves and answers always tantalisingly out of reach. The “if onlys” are the saddest things in the world.” 1 likes