Start by marking “The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One” as Want to Read:
The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One

The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One

As we move from the industrial age and its nation state to an internet age with a globalized postindustrial market a question presents itself: What is the next major developmental stage of society after the liberal democracy with a balance between capitalism and welfare state?

In this book Hanzi Freinacht offers a compelling answer to this question. We are reaching the
Published March 10th 2017 by Metamoderna ApS

To ask other readers questions about The Listening Society, please sign up.
Alex Goodall For one thing, the developmental model is expounds perfectly explains why some people will love it, whilst others (perhaps more) people will hate it.

I…more

I particularly was excited by the refinements it made to the earlier models of development, which I was introduced to via Integral thinkers.(less)

Start your review of The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One
Jason
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one has articulated the emerging philosophy of metamodernism better than Hanzi.

The author describes this book as dangerous, which of course made me snort with derision. For over the years Id become numb to such hypeinstead cultivating a quiet intellectual arrogance that keeps me distant from, you know, actually having to *change* the way I think about things.

But good goshit *is* (dangerous). In perhaps the most glorious way imaginable.

It is a book that cannot be simplified, explained,
Филипп Феодосеев
Okay so if you have a Petersonian friend who you might want to rescue from all too individualistic and stubborn right-ish surrender - offer him (I mean it's probably him) this very book. Author mentions much of Petersonian Great Truths in a kind of matter of fact manner, sincerely addressing really existing serious issues embedded in political activism and social utopianism.

Personally I was interested in this work as being a merger between activism and individual responsibility. I think that
Oliver
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part political manifesto, part update of developmental theory. It deconstructs and reconstructs spiral dynamics and tweaks integral theory to leave out the woo woo introduced by Ken Wilber and introduces new aspects of complexity, state and depth and retains 'code' which relates to the SD stages.

A real upgrade to my operating system.
Teo 2050
2020.03.062020.03.23

Contents

Freinacht H (2017) Listening Society, The - A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One

Prologue

Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ IT!
Jamie Alfieri
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a rational modern mind who is also a spiritual Dharma bum, I have felt an ideological loneliness of sorts. Yet with Hanzi I have A new best friend. A great and much needed book for this planet.
Moses Cirulis
This is a book all about the development of society and why it matters. Read it and learn all about cognitive, cultural, and psychological state development!
Will Dayble
Oct 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty rare for me to dislike a book enough to give it a negative review, but this was a dangerously bad book. Ick. : ...more
Roxy
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes a while to get used to the style of the book, but it's worth it. The book is a wild rollercoaster, drawing connections between economy, sociology and personal development with a broad brush. For me as someone working in these fields, many of the ideas and framings have been an inspiration or even revelation!
Noah
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I strongly recommend this book!

It's one of those "psychoactive books" that can completely change your outlook on life.

In spite of the book's seemingly heavy topics, it is written in a captivating and easy-to-read non-academical personal narrative style, with lots of humor and irony interspersed.
Lassi
Mar 12, 2018
Jaakko
May 11, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Stealing Fire: How Silicon Valley, the Navy SEALs, and Maverick Scientists Are Revolutionizing the Way We Live and Work
  • Against Creativity
  • Great Minds of the Eastern Intellectual Tradition
  • A New Republic of the Heart: An Ethos for Revolutionaries--A Guide to Inner Work for Holistic Change
  • Mapping Cloud Nine: Neuroscience, Flow, and the Upper Possibility Space of Human Experience
  • Giving Our Best: A Retreat with Pema Chodron on Practicing the Way of the Bodhisattva
  • My Inventions
  • Journeys to the Interior
  • Peacemaking: How to Be It, How to Do It
  • Strange Planet
  • The Telling (Hainish Cycle #8)
  • The Character of Physical Law
  • Caffeine: How Caffeine Created the Modern World
  • Skillful Means: The Heart of Buddhist Compassion
  • A Knowledge Representation Practionary: Guidelines Based on Charles Sanders Peirce
  • QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter
  • The Good Jobs Strategy: How the Smartest Companies Invest in Employees to Lower Costs and Boost Profits
  • Maverick: The Success Story Behind the World's Most Unusual Workplace

Related Articles

“We fail to take responsibility, to act productively in the interest of ourselves and others. And in our attempts at a better life, we are often severely limited or thwarted by the immature and socially inept behavior of ourselves and others. There is a great fabric of relations, behaviors and emotions, reverberating with human and animal bliss and suffering, a web of intimate and formal relations, both direct and indirect. Nasty whirlwinds of feedback cycles blow through this great multidimensional web, pulsating with hurt and degradation. My lacking human development blocks your possible human development. My lack of understanding of you, your needs perspectives, hurts you in a million subtle ways. I become a bad lover, a bad colleague, a bad fellow citizen and human being. We are interconnected: You cannot get away from my hurt and wounds. They will follow you all of your life—I will be your daughter’s abusive boyfriend, your belligerent neighbor from hell. And you will never grow wings because there will always be mean bosses, misunderstanding families and envious friends. And you will tell yourself that is how life must be. But it is not how life has to be. Once you begin to be able to see the social-psychological fabric of everyday life, it becomes increasingly apparent that the fabric is relatively easy to change, to develop. Metamodern politics aims to make everyone secure at the deepest psychological level, so that we can live authentically; a byproduct of which is a sense of meaning in life and lasting happiness; a byproduct of which is kindness and an increased ability to cooperate with others; a byproduct of which is deeper freedom and better concrete results in the lives of everyone; a byproduct of which is a society less likely to collapse into a heap of atrocities.” 4 likes
“Let’s return to the main argument. People are hurting as hell. It matters. We should do something to make them happier, if we can.” 4 likes