Start by marking “The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One” as Want to Read:
The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One

The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One

As we move from the industrial age and its nation state to an internet age with a globalized postindustrial market a question presents itself: What is the next major developmental stage of society after the liberal democracy with a balance between capitalism and welfare state?

In this book Hanzi Freinacht offers a compelling answer to this question. We are reaching the limi
Published March 10th 2017 by Metamoderna ApS

To ask other readers questions about The Listening Society, please sign up.
Alex Goodall For one thing, the developmental model is expounds perfectly explains why some people will love it, whilst others (perhaps more) people will hate it.

I…more

I particularly was excited by the refinements it made to the earlier models of development, which I was introduced to via Integral thinkers.(less)

Start your review of The Listening Society: A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One
Jason
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No one has articulated the emerging philosophy of metamodernism better than Hanzi.

The author describes this book as ‘dangerous’, which of course made me snort with derision. For over the years I’d become numb to such hype—instead cultivating a quiet intellectual arrogance that keeps me distant from, you know, actually having to *change* the way I think about things.

But good gosh—it *is* (dangerous). In perhaps the most glorious way imaginable.

It is a book that cannot be simplified, explained, su
Riikka
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most inspiring and perceptive book on society I've read so far. It offers much-needed hope and vision in times we need (to be co-creating) it.

I'd like to call it "mind-massaging", as like a powerful massage, reading it feels incredibly good but tensing up against it would just plain hurt. However, relaxing into it can help release long-held tensions and lead to healing.

The key concepts of metamodern code don't sound that new or radical to me, but I was amazed by how clearly Hanzi (/the write
Dionysius Bakirov
Okay so if you have a Petersonian friend who you might want to rescue from all too individualistic and stubborn right-ish surrender - offer him (I mean it's probably him) this very book. Author mentions much of Petersonian Great Truths in a kind of matter of fact manner, sincerely addressing really existing serious issues embedded in political activism and social utopianism.

Personally I was interested in this work as being a merger between activism and individual responsibility. I think that co
Teo 2050
2020.03.06–2020.03.23,
2021.10.03–2021.10.23

Beyond the rhetoric, this contains a great deal of insights into politics, human development, the culture wars, etc. -- by and for people who grew up on the Internet. (The newly released audio narration was also a nice fit for the rhetoric.)

Contents

Freinacht H (2017) (16:23) Listening Society, The - A Metamodern Guide to Politics, Book One

Prologue
• Political Metamodernism Is the Future
• Who Is Hanzi Freinacht?
• Readers of Bronze, Silver and Gold

Introduc
Oliver
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part political manifesto, part update of developmental theory. It deconstructs and reconstructs spiral dynamics and tweaks integral theory to leave out the woo woo introduced by Ken Wilber and introduces new aspects of complexity, state and depth and retains 'code' which relates to the SD stages.

A real upgrade to my operating system.
Alex Lee
I was largely unimpressed by Freinacht's analysis of social phenomena on FB so I decided at some point not to read his book. However that was a mistake. Since reading it, this book has provided lots of food for thought as I use this developmental psychology perspective to understand lots of the inexplicable reactions that occur on social media and beyond. It has also allowed me to see why people insist on bringing about certain structural affects (or why they resist acknowledging certain structu ...more
Noah
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I strongly recommend this book!

It's one of those "psychoactive books" that can completely change your outlook on life.

In spite of the book's seemingly heavy topics, it is written in a captivating and easy-to-read non-academical personal narrative style, with lots of humor and irony interspersed.
Jamie Alfieri
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a rational modern mind who is also a spiritual Dharma bum, I have felt an ideological loneliness of sorts. Yet with Hanzi I have A new best friend. A great and much needed book for this planet.
ぎゆう
Aug 17, 2021 rated it it was ok
Freinacht understands metamodernism only to a limited extent*. Is it a reaction to anything? Is relativity, negativity, rigidity, or conformity a qualifier of metamodernism?
Freinacht's (supposed) presumptuousness makes it sound like a new paradigm-propaganda. Sincerity's always been there. Metamodernism is all-encompassing, fluid, unsure, vulnerable, innocent, deep, spiritual, tolerant awareness of that sincerity, truth, compassion and empathy in today's (and eternal) world. It's observed and e
Vlad Limbean
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you thought David Foster Wallace is your jazz, then check this out. It's going to be worth it. ...more
Roxy
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brandon
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most paradigm transformative book I've read since Antifragile, which is big claim for anyone who knows me. At present, I'm very much absorbed by the point of view as presented in this book. I'll need some time to think about it and read some other things before I can give a more objective assessment, but all indications are that this one is important.

Far more entertaining and readable than the cover would suggest.
Msrobot0
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
READ IT!
Moses Cirulis
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, politics
This is a book all about the development of society and why it matters. Read it and learn all about cognitive, cultural, and psychological state development!
Eli Hanover
Feb 21, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Upsides:
- Critiques one or low dimensional models of human development, and offers a useful model with separate (but interrelated) axes of growth. I have many nits with the specific stages, but the general mental model is extremely useful, and something I plan to expand on.
- INCREDIBLE breakdown of the implications and interrelations of these stages. This by far was the highlight of the book.
- Really enjoyed the HHH (Hackers, Hippies, and Hipsters) chapter, and got the sense that he has deep ins
Kamil Kopacewicz
First of all - Hanzi convinced me to become a metamodernist, or rather - to call myself that. I wholeheartedly agree with him and will be promoting those ideas among my friends.

But, the book is not ideal. The most offending culprit is the style of writing. It's corny and cringe inducing. It's also unnecessarily long - being quite repetitive at the same time (it took me two years to get through it). Some claims are also more akin to wishful thinking than real state of the matter.

Nevertheless, wha
Terin Bolton
Sep 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It felt so meaningful and was so riveting that I read it three times back to back. I just started book two and feel pretty confident that these are some of the most important contemporary writings out there. If you're interested in blossoming grand naratives of society these are the books for you. ...more
Leonatti Risa
Mar 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I needed to write a short term paper. This book caught my eyes. It helped a lot. Worth reading, I have to say.
A95419515
Oct 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cringy introduction, but surprisingly good content
Dingus Maximus
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overall, very well articulated POLITICAL ideas that I personally agree with (why socialism, environmentalism, laissez faire/libertarianism, Left/Right and similar other currently used concepts are really outdated and partial ideas and harmful in the long-term).

There is also science-based part about DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY that I'm interested in that lured me in and made me read the political part. 5/5!

P.S.
I am quite informed about integralist's developmental models (Wilber, Cook-Greuter, Kegan,
Iskander Iskakov
Thats what good pussy sounds like
Kent
Jul 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was reading this book I had to put it down sometimes because I was overwhelmed by the words. It felt/feel like I was upgrading my world view. Overwhelming
B
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes a while to get used to the style of the book, but it's worth it. The book is a wild rollercoaster, drawing connections between economy, sociology and personal development with a broad brush. For me as someone working in these fields, many of the ideas and framings have been an inspiration or even revelation! ...more
Ulrik Klophaugen
Nov 27, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Scout Mindset: Why Some People See Things Clearly and Others Don't
  • Beyond Order: 12 More Rules For Life
  • The Secret Wisdom of Nature: Trees, Animals, and the Extraordinary Balance of All Living Things ― Stories from Science and Observation
  • Journeys to the Interior
  • Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • The Telling (Hainish Cycle, #8)
  • Sand Talk: How Indigenous Thinking Can Save the World
  • Eye to Eye: The Quest for the New Paradigm
  • The Map of Consciousness Explained: A Proven Energy Scale to Actualize Your Ultimate Potential
  • Meeting the Shadow: The Hidden Power of the Dark Side of Human Nature
  • Hostage to the Devil: The Possession and Exorcism of Five Contemporary Americans
  • Facing Reality: Two Truths about Race in America
  • The Diversity Delusion: How Race and Gender Pandering Corrupt the University and Undermine Our Culture
  • 1000: The Levels of Consciousness and a Map of the Stages of Awakening for Spiritual Seekers and Teachers
  • Resurrecting Jesus: Embodying the Spirit of a Revolutionary Mystic
  • Displacement
  • Are Prisons Obsolete?
  • Life (Wisdom Series)
See top shelves…

Related Articles

It's the time of year for soups, sautees, and stories! If you're looking for a palate cleansing non-fiction to listen to, this roundup has memoirs...
“We fail to take responsibility, to act productively in the interest of ourselves and others. And in our attempts at a better life, we are often severely limited or thwarted by the immature and socially inept behavior of ourselves and others. There is a great fabric of relations, behaviors and emotions, reverberating with human and animal bliss and suffering, a web of intimate and formal relations, both direct and indirect. Nasty whirlwinds of feedback cycles blow through this great multidimensional web, pulsating with hurt and degradation. My lacking human development blocks your possible human development. My lack of understanding of you, your needs perspectives, hurts you in a million subtle ways. I become a bad lover, a bad colleague, a bad fellow citizen and human being. We are interconnected: You cannot get away from my hurt and wounds. They will follow you all of your life—I will be your daughter’s abusive boyfriend, your belligerent neighbor from hell. And you will never grow wings because there will always be mean bosses, misunderstanding families and envious friends. And you will tell yourself that is how life must be. But it is not how life has to be. Once you begin to be able to see the social-psychological fabric of everyday life, it becomes increasingly apparent that the fabric is relatively easy to change, to develop. Metamodern politics aims to make everyone secure at the deepest psychological level, so that we can live authentically; a byproduct of which is a sense of meaning in life and lasting happiness; a byproduct of which is kindness and an increased ability to cooperate with others; a byproduct of which is deeper freedom and better concrete results in the lives of everyone; a byproduct of which is a society less likely to collapse into a heap of atrocities.” 5 likes
“Let’s return to the main argument. People are hurting as hell. It matters. We should do something to make them happier, if we can.” 5 likes