Start by marking “Unwelcome Guests” as Want to Read:
Unwelcome Guests

Unwelcome Guests

A weekend getaway in an isolated country house is just what Caitlin needs to fix her relationship with husband Eli...

Her spirits are up as they enter the spacious retreat and cool off in the nearby lake. With Eli’s easy-going brother accompanying them – the party was his idea – the barbeque lit and beers cracked open, everything should be set for a perfect evening.

But her
Published December 30th 2017 by The Book Folks

To ask other readers questions about Unwelcome Guests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unwelcome Guests

Start your review of Unwelcome Guests
Luvtoread
This had a very good storyline and I wished that it could have been written differently. The first half of the book was too (wordy). The descriptions were overdone and sometimes very long and unnecessary whereas I would get bored or frustrated getting to the writer's main point. I felt many parts of the story were too unrealistic and the characters feelings were too shallow sometimes and their actions were overdone and not believable. I just felt
disconnected from the characters when I really
Bandit
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This looked like another one of those Strangers movie type stories where a normal family gets attacked out of nowhere in the middle of nowhere and for no good reason. Those are usually pretty entertaining, sort of like survival tests, actually Strangers 2 Prey at Night was a really good example of that, a surprisingly entertaining and well done one, particularly for a sequel. But actually this book managed to spin the premise into something new. Same concept, a young married couple set off on a ...more
Anouska
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unwelcome Guests is a gripping and exciting thriller, with brilliantly creepy moments, and characters you love to hate. It's a joy to read a book with such a believable and complex female lead. Caitlin thinks of herself as weak and damaged, and is totally defined by her relationship with her husband. But when she's faced with unthinkable danger, she discovers just how strong she can really be.
I love the way the backstories and relationships are weaved through the action, giving each of the
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the second novel I have read by the auther and another gripping read.

The story starts off at a gentle pace with Caitlin, Eli and his brother Jace all going off for the weekend to a country house that Jace’s friend has let him use. It’s soon obvious that things arn’t great between Caitlin and Eli, of which Caitlin is hoping the weekend might be just what they need to get back on track.

It’s hard to say anymore about what else happens as to do so would definitely be a huge spoiler. This is
Bulldog67
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I’ve read all of Anna Willet’s book and they just keep getting better. Unwelcome Guests has lots of surprises and really complex characters. I like the way you never know what will happen next or who to trust. It’s one of those books you don’t want to stop reading.

Lisa Houston
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow I don't know where to start. I just loved this book. Was one of those book's that got you gripped right from the off. Caitlin and her husband and brother in law go away for a weekend. All is not as it seems , and they end up finding a man badly beaten in the cellar, and discover they shouldn't even be in this house, her brother in law had stolen the key. The book is filled with mystery and suspense. Not knowing which way thing's are going to go. I was on edge just reading this book. It was ...more
Erik Empson
Australian author Anna Willett has written a book thick with fear and excitement, creating a credible scenario where tensions between a woman and her husband reach fever pitch when they inadvertantly get involved in a terrible crime.
Jackie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A weekend getaway for Caitlyn and husband Eli to help make them closer seems an ideal situation. With Eli’s brother along, things start out fine. Eli is cold and not really warming up to the fun. Caitlyn goes to the wine cellar to get more wine and a terrible surprise awaits. First book for me by this author, utterly outstanding.
Amanda
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first Anna Willett book and certainly won’t be my last, I love discovering new authors and I’m loving Goodreads and being able to see what other people are reading!!!
This book had me gripped from the start that I nearly read this in one siting, it was very creepy and I didn’t know what to expect or how this book would end!!!
Pat
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
And now for catch up time again.

This book was a good, but not great story, fast paced, the characters were a bit cliched but it was nevertheless a very readable thriller.
Wiseask
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Having recently read and reviewed Anna Willett’s Retribution Ridge, I decided to read her Unwelcome Guests which she self-promotes as an “atmospheric, suspenseful thriller.” Aside from both stand-alone novels being about the same length, set in Australia, and offered to me for free, I was eager to discover whether the author was able to repeat the modest success of Retribution Ridge with Unwelcome Guests which she wrote two years later. The answer is, not quite.

Unwelcome Guests is about a wife,
Gary Moreau
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The rating is literal. This book is okay. It’s not that the author doesn’t check most of the marks of a great thriller. She does. There are no obvious omissions, although the book could use a little more editing for spelling, etc. It’s more that the plot is not particularly original, the characters are a bit cliché, one thread to the storyline was never finished, and, well, I didn’t close the book with a “Wow”.

The book is a decent read and if you read it as part of Kindle Unlimited, as I did,
Josephine
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Positively Chilling!!

A great tale full of anguish and woe. The plot twists will keep you guessing, give you whiplash trying to keep up. Then like a slow moving train, times screeched to a halt. You'll feel nothing but angst and fear so palpable, it seems to have it's own heartbeat! Who to trust keeps you on your toes. A very fine read indeed!
Lisa-Jaine
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first foray into this author's work. I wasn't sure what to expect or where the story was taking me but it had me gripped. It had many twists and turns and I never knew who to trust.
Ben
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good story and characters. Not sure I would agree with atmospheric...
Milly Youngman
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting premise, different from other thrillers I've read recently!
kate blake
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller

This was a very quick, entertaining read. It contains a good bit of violence but not overly graphic. The heroine is an engaging character and her evolution through the story keeps the reader interested. The male characters are less well developed.
Simone
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book, but the apparent lack of proper editing - I counted five grammatical and punctuation errors - in that short of a novel knocked it down to three stars.
Yolanda
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely fast-paced and interesting. I enjoyed the story and the characters. Very believable plot. I highly recommend this book.

Very interesting characters in storyline. I highly recommend this book. The characters were very real and believable. The landscape in the story was also very interesting.
Katy Askeland
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

If you are looking for a quick, short, easy to read thriller, Unwelcome Guests is a decent choice. The author does a pretty good job of introducing you to each of the five main characters and leading the reader towards empathy for each one. Most of the loose ends are wrapped up nicely at the end, with the exception of one, which I will not describe for fear of spoiling the story. My only real criticism, albeit a big one, is this book was not quite ready for publication. There are a
Darlene
I enjoyed listening to Willett's Backwoods Ripper earlier this year, so I was looking forward to reading more from her.

Caitlin and her husband, Eli, are invited by Eli's brother, Jace, to his friend's vacation home. The couple has been having a tough time lately, with Caitlin's recent miscarriage, and Eli has basically shut down since then. Jace thought that some time away would help.

The vacationers find something in the house and then the owner returns, and they don't know who or what to
aryssia
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!

Well written story. Tons of details and twists. Very gripping and fast paced I didn't want to put it down.
Lisa
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good read.

Enough to make me book a studio apartment the next time I go on holiday!

Full of twists and turns and a bit of a surprise ending. A good read x
DOREEN
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Could not put it down! Read the whole book in two days
Good story, well written. Really enjoyed this book
Chloe Ann
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was good, it had all the basic elements to make a good, suspenseful thriller but for me, it never got there. The characters were ok but as much as the author tried they always kind of stayed 2D to me. As for the plot, I started reading the book thinking it was going to be the same overused thing but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t at all what I’d expected. I feel like it never really went anywhere however and was a bit dragged out. Cat’s back story could have been very ...more
Vivian
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heart-pounding thriller. Willett has a way of grabbing on to you and not letting go.

Caitlin and her husband Eli were going through a rough patch since losing their baby. Eli’s brother, Jace had the perfect idea to help them patch things up. A weekend at the lake in a billionaire’s mansion would do the trick. They couldn’t believe how sprawling it was. Still, Cat couldn’t get over the mask of sorrow in Eli’s eyes. She was also sad they’d lost the baby, but it seemed like something more. Maybe
Wulfwyn
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I read by Anna Willet. I enjoyed it. I liked the way the author kept you guessing on who to trust. That was well done. There were a few parts that were unbelievable for me. This does not always bother me as I know fiction does not mean reality. However in this story, I felt that it did make a difference for me. I’m sorry I’m sounding so vague but I honestly hate giving away things. The story was interesting and made me wonder what I would have thought or done if it were ...more
Rosemary Trimpe
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Spooky thriller

An excellent book written in the format of Australia. Exciting, loaded with details to keep you reading late at night. Haven't read a book that kept your attention like this in quite a while. Great detail, great visuals without being abnormal or gory. Highly recommend this adventure filled with tension and realism. Don't start this one on a week night unless you can take the next day off from work.
Shellbertina Otter
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read from this author, I will definitely read her other books. The drama starts a couple of pages in, & it makes you want to carry on reading to see what happens next. It's eerie, tense & gives you chills. Atmospheric, psychological scenes makes you ask yourself "what would I do in that situation", it's creepy in places. Great characters, you just want to love or hate.
Leca Good
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked it it was fast paced and kept my interest. I wish they had expanded a bit on the back story. You never really knew the background to brother's relationship. I felt like we knew next to nothing about Jace and for him to have such a strong reaction to Caitlin we needed to understand why and know him better. I had interesting twists and turns but I just wish we had gotten to know the character's a little better to be more satisfied with the ending. It seemed a bit rushed but still a ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Friends From the Edge
  • Thirty Seconds to Live (The Blackwell Files #10)
  • This Dark Town I: When You're Gone
  • The Fear In Her Eyes (Ian Quinn, #1)
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • Let Me In (Morgan Young, #1)
  • Coming of Winter (A Jeremy Winter Thriller, #1)
  • What She Saw (A Beyond The Veil Prequel, #1)
  • Don’t Trust Me (Hamlet, #1)
  • Butterfly Kisses  (Detective Damien Drake #1)
  • Sins of the Child
  • Tin Men
  • Her Deepest Fear (Rosemary Run, #1)
  • The Piper (CASMIRC, #2)
  • The House Of York