Start by marking “Unwelcome Guests” as Want to Read:

Unwelcome Guests

A weekend getaway in an isolated country house is just what Caitlin needs to fix her relationship with husband Eli...

Her spirits are up as they enter the spacious retreat and cool off in the nearby lake. With Eli’s easy-going brother accompanying them – the party was his idea – the barbeque lit and beers cracked open, everything should be set for a perfect evening.

But her
Published December 30th 2017 by The Book Folks

To ask other readers questions about Unwelcome Guests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unwelcome Guests

Start your review of Unwelcome Guests
Luvtoread
This had a very good storyline and I wished that it could have been written differently. The first half of the book was too (wordy). The descriptions were overdone and sometimes very long and unnecessary whereas I would get bored or frustrated getting to the writer's main point. I felt many parts of the story were too unrealistic and the characters feelings were too shallow sometimes and their actions were overdone and not believable. I just felt
disconnected from the characters when I really wan
Brenda
Since Caitlin’s miscarriage, her husband Eli had been cold and distant. She didn’t know how to reach him; didn’t know why he blamed her. So this weekend that Jace, Eli’s brother, had organized would make or break, she thought. The mansion, an hour or so from Mandurah in Western Australia, belonged to a friend of Jace’s and his permission to use it for the weekend was perfect timing. It was hot and humid, so once they’d unloaded the car, Jace, Caitlin and Eli donned their swimmers and headed for ...more
Marie
This was a great suspense thriller and it is my third book by author, Anna Willett. As always with her books the pace is quick and takes you quickly into the storyline.

A little backstory for you readers:

A weekend getaway for Caitlin and Eli her husband is just what they need to rekindle their passion as things have been rocky since Caitlin lost her baby to a miscarriage. Eli's brother, Jace, has the perfect solution as he tells them he has keys to a mansion which is out in the country and the m
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the second novel I have read by the auther and another gripping read.

The story starts off at a gentle pace with Caitlin, Eli and his brother Jace all going off for the weekend to a country house that Jace’s friend has let him use. It’s soon obvious that things arn’t great between Caitlin and Eli, of which Caitlin is hoping the weekend might be just what they need to get back on track.

It’s hard to say anymore about what else happens as to do so would definitely be a huge spoiler. This is
Bandit
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This looked like another one of those Strangers movie type stories where a normal family gets attacked out of nowhere in the middle of nowhere and for no good reason. Those are usually pretty entertaining, sort of like survival tests, actually Strangers 2 Prey at Night was a really good example of that, a surprisingly entertaining and well done one, particularly for a sequel. But actually this book managed to spin the premise into something new. Same concept, a young married couple set off on a ...more
Anouska
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unwelcome Guests is a gripping and exciting thriller, with brilliantly creepy moments, and characters you love to hate. It's a joy to read a book with such a believable and complex female lead. Caitlin thinks of herself as weak and damaged, and is totally defined by her relationship with her husband. But when she's faced with unthinkable danger, she discovers just how strong she can really be.
I love the way the backstories and relationships are weaved through the action, giving each of the char
Kim
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cait and her husband Eli are taken for the weekend to an isolated house by Eli's brother Jace - Jace is friends with the owner of the massive home and hopes to use the weekend to help Eli and Cait heal their troubled marriage after Cait's miscarriage seems to have caused a rift between the couple. The house and location are idyllic, although Eli's attitude towards Cait is not, for reasons that become clearer as the story unfolds. However, things take a dark turn when the group make a shocking di ...more
Lisa Houston
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow I don't know where to start. I just loved this book. Was one of those book's that got you gripped right from the off. Caitlin and her husband and brother in law go away for a weekend. All is not as it seems , and they end up finding a man badly beaten in the cellar, and discover they shouldn't even be in this house, her brother in law had stolen the key. The book is filled with mystery and suspense. Not knowing which way thing's are going to go. I was on edge just reading this book. It was s ...more
Amanda
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first Anna Willett book and certainly won’t be my last, I love discovering new authors and I’m loving Goodreads and being able to see what other people are reading!!!
This book had me gripped from the start that I nearly read this in one siting, it was very creepy and I didn’t know what to expect or how this book would end!!!
Erik Empson
Australian author Anna Willett has written a book thick with fear and excitement, creating a credible scenario where tensions between a woman and her husband reach fever pitch when they inadvertantly get involved in a terrible crime.
Pat (not getting friend updates currently)
And now for catch up time again.

This book was a good, but not great story, fast paced, the characters were a bit cliched but it was nevertheless a very readable thriller.
Wiseask
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Having recently read and reviewed Anna Willett’s Retribution Ridge, I decided to read her Unwelcome Guests which she self-promotes as an “atmospheric, suspenseful thriller.” Aside from both stand-alone novels being about the same length, set in Australia, and offered to me for free, I was eager to discover whether the author was able to repeat the modest success of Retribution Ridge with Unwelcome Guests which she wrote two years later. The answer is, not quite.

Unwelcome Guests is about a wife,
Jackie
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A weekend getaway for Caitlyn and husband Eli to help make them closer seems an ideal situation. With Eli’s brother along, things start out fine. Eli is cold and not really warming up to the fun. Caitlyn goes to the wine cellar to get more wine and a terrible surprise awaits. First book for me by this author, utterly outstanding.
Simone
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually really enjoyed this book, but the apparent lack of proper editing - I counted five grammatical and punctuation errors - in that short of a novel knocked it down to three stars.
Vivian
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A heart-pounding thriller. Willett has a way of grabbing on to you and not letting go.

Caitlin and her husband Eli were going through a rough patch since losing their baby. Eli’s brother, Jace had the perfect idea to help them patch things up. A weekend at the lake in a billionaire’s mansion would do the trick. They couldn’t believe how sprawling it was. Still, Cat couldn’t get over the mask of sorrow in Eli’s eyes. She was also sad they’d lost the baby, but it seemed like something more. Maybe J
Jenny
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Darlene
I enjoyed listening to Willett's Backwoods Ripper earlier this year, so I was looking forward to reading more from her.

Caitlin and her husband, Eli, are invited by Eli's brother, Jace, to his friend's vacation home. The couple has been having a tough time lately, with Caitlin's recent miscarriage, and Eli has basically shut down since then. Jace thought that some time away would help.

The vacationers find something in the house and then the owner returns, and they don't know who or what to belie
Cindylou
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Unwelcome Guests

What a wild ride. I couldn’t put it down. This was creepy on so many levels. There was definitely rough punishment for the bad decisions made by these diverse characters. Very well written characters and storyline.
Gary Moreau
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The rating is literal. This book is okay. It’s not that the author doesn’t check most of the marks of a great thriller. She does. There are no obvious omissions, although the book could use a little more editing for spelling, etc. It’s more that the plot is not particularly original, the characters are a bit cliché, one thread to the storyline was never finished, and, well, I didn’t close the book with a “Wow”.

The book is a decent read and if you read it as part of Kindle Unlimited, as I did, y
Katy Askeland
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

If you are looking for a quick, short, easy to read thriller, Unwelcome Guests is a decent choice. The author does a pretty good job of introducing you to each of the five main characters and leading the reader towards empathy for each one. Most of the loose ends are wrapped up nicely at the end, with the exception of one, which I will not describe for fear of spoiling the story. My only real criticism, albeit a big one, is this book was not quite ready for publication. There are a numb
Yolanda
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely fast-paced and interesting. I enjoyed the story and the characters. Very believable plot. I highly recommend this book.

Very interesting characters in storyline. I highly recommend this book. The characters were very real and believable. The landscape in the story was also very interesting.
Josephine
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Positively Chilling!!

A great tale full of anguish and woe. The plot twists will keep you guessing, give you whiplash trying to keep up. Then like a slow moving train, times screeched to a halt. You'll feel nothing but angst and fear so palpable, it seems to have it's own heartbeat! Who to trust keeps you on your toes. A very fine read indeed!
kate blake
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fast paced thriller

This was a very quick, entertaining read. It contains a good bit of violence but not overly graphic. The heroine is an engaging character and her evolution through the story keeps the reader interested. The male characters are less well developed.
Mrs. Janice Griffin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jaw clenching, heart racing book

I read this book in 2 sittings, it was fantastic. The writer drags you in and hurls you at break neck speed to the very end ! I will definitely be looking for more of this author's books. I highly recommend this book, you won't be disappointed l.
Rebecca  Lanclos
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced read

I enjoyed this book. It was fast-paced from the beginning, and the level of suspense kept me wanting to read more. I will definitely check out more books from this author.
DOREEN
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Could not put it down! Read the whole book in two days
Good story, well written. Really enjoyed this book
Lisa
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good read.

Enough to make me book a studio apartment the next time I go on holiday!

Full of twists and turns and a bit of a surprise ending. A good read x
aryssia
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!

Well written story. Tons of details and twists. Very gripping and fast paced I didn't want to put it down.
Lisa-Jaine
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first foray into this author's work. I wasn't sure what to expect or where the story was taking me but it had me gripped. It had many twists and turns and I never knew who to trust. ...more
Jane
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Caitlin and her husband, Eli are on weekend getaway with Eli’s younger brother Jace. They will be staying at Jace’s friend’s holiday house.

Caitlin had a miscarriage and this has taken a toll on her and her husband, so she wants to use this opportunity to close the distance that has been growing between them.

Caitlin decides to explore a cellar she discovered in the house earlier. She and Jace find a locked door in the cellar. Finding nothing interesting, they are about to leave when they hear a
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• You Will Never Leave
  • Thirty Seconds to Live (The Blackwell Files #10)
  • The Piper (CASMIRC Book 2)
  • The House Of York
  • Friends From the Edge
  • What She Saw (A Beyond The Veil Prequel, #1)
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • The Fear In Her Eyes (Ian Quinn #1)
  • Suicide Med
  • Butterfly Kisses (Detective Damien Drake, #1)
  • The Class Reunion
  • Coming of Winter (A Jeremy Winter Thriller, #1)
  • When You're Gone (This Dark Town #1)
  • Strange Little Girl (DCI John Blizzard #2)
  • Let Me In (Morgan Young, #1)
  • Don’t Trust Me (Hamlet, #1)
  • Prime Suspect