Start by marking “The Dream of the Iron Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Dream of the Iron Dragon

The Dream of the Iron Dragon

(Saga of the Iron Dragon #1)

Trapped in 9th century Iceland, they have one chance to save humanity: teach the Vikings to build a ship capable of reaching the stars.

It is the year 2207. After a decades-long war with an alien race known as the Cho-ta’an, Earth has been rendered uninhabitable and the human race has been driven to the brink of extinction. Humanity survives in a handful of colonies scatter
Published January 16th 2018 (first published January 8th 2018)

Jeff Miller
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love a good premise, especially when it is used to its potential. This first book in the series does exactly that. The premise of employing Vikings to help build a space ship and all that goes with it, is certainly an interesting premise. What I really liked is how the situation was setup. Just getting to the situation requiring this was solid SF. The setup on it's own could have launched a series by itself.

Really waiting for the other books in the series to see how the infrastructure require
Jon
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Dream Of The Iron Dragon opens in modern times, a prologue of people investigating what appears to be a space ship crash in Iceland in modern times. Not what I expected, but I was interested in that perspective. It set up a mystery, and just as I was getting comfortable, we shifted to the future.

In this future, humanity is at war with a single alien race, who’s been kicking our butts. Earth is all but uninhabitable, and humans are struggling to survive. There’s alien jump gates that allow us
David Božjak
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, as well as Robert's other work - I'm a long time fan and I love seeing him grow as an author.

Beginning of Iron Dragon is really the part that deserves the most praise. Without hesitation I can claim that the book does the best job with the setup I've had the pleasure of reading. The reader is thrown straight in, no boring descriptions or staging. Loved it!

I strongly recommend this book.
Benjamin Espen
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from the author, Robert Kroese, in exchange for a review.

I'm a sucker for the premise of this series: stranded spacemen teach Vikings to build spaceships. Rebuilding civilization from scratch is a venerable conceit in science fiction. This is usually fun, and it overlaps nicely with the method of good hard science fiction, which leaves the reader usefully instructed in certain principles of physics or biology after reading a story that otherwise closely resembles a
H. P.
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern-sf
“Don’t get me wrong, there are worse ways to go out than holding off a Viking horde with a railgun, but it’s not a long-term strategy.”

The Dream of an Iron Dragon has such a fun premise: 23rd Century humans (accidently) travel into the past and crash land in 10th Century Norway. It is more a hard science fiction story than Poul Anderson’s The High Crusade or the quote above suggests.

The only real problem with The Dream of an Iron Dragon is the expectations game. The copy pretty well lays out the
Medeia Sharif
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This normally isn’t my type of book since I read minimal sci-fi and I’m not interested in Vikings, but Kroese is a remarkable writer and pulled me into this fascinating, well-paced mashup of 23rd century space travelers ending up in the Scandinavia of yore in their struggle to survive. The author has quite a range and I enjoyed this unique read.
Beregond
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why Mess Around With Pseudo -Vikings...

When with a time travel accident you can have the real thing? The challenge for the crew isn't just to survive, but to somehow get back to their own time with a secret that may save humanity. Space men (and women,) aliens, and Vikings come together in a tale that kept me turning the pages.
Tom McLean
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is going to be a short review for the following reasons: If the idea of Vikings and spaceships excites you, then reading this book will feel like winning the lottery. It's just a consistently fantastic read—incredibly well researched and written. I loved every second.
Rhonda Havig
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!

The story was well-told, characters were engaging, and the premise of spacemen working with Vikings was interesting.

I highly recommend this one.
astaliegurec
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start by saying right up front that I'd really like to rate Robert Kroese's "The Dream of the Iron Dragon: An Alternate History Viking Epic (Saga of the Iron Dragon Book 1)" at 3-1/2 stars instead of the Very Good 4 stars out of 5 I'm giving it. But, since our ratings have to be integers, and I can't see dropping my rating all the way down to 3 stars, 4 stars it is. Anyway, the book's mostly pretty good with an interesting story that blends both science fiction and history. In general, the ...more
Mark Wilcox
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I discovered Robert Krouese from his limited participation in Authors and Dragons podcast. Once again I was not steered wrong. This is a wonderful piece of Science Fiction with a touch of history. Well researched on the Norse front and the scientific front. It is an enjoyable read for anyone who is a Sci Fi, or action adventure fan.
Deb
This book has it all: space, aliens, time travel, and medieval Vikings. Robert Kroese’s book tells a story that is a lot of fun to read, and pays a lot of attention to the details, both modern and historical. Fans of The Martian will appreciate Kroese’s depiction of the crew using every bit of their scientific knowledge to figure out a way to return to their own time. Fans of historical fiction will appreciate the detailed depictions of Viking culture and history.

As with many time travel books,
Robert Defrank
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
For fans of worldbuilding, history, high concepts and, of course, the Vikings, this book will be a rare delight as modern (or to be more accurate, near-future) human beings find a home and a mission among their strange but familiar, savage and honorable ancestors from the past, when a mishap strands them in yesteryear.

How can modern people hope to hope to survive, much less wrest the high-technology solutions they need out of this primitive world without more than the beginning of an industrial
Shawn
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

I have trouble believing this was written by the same guy who wrote Aye Robot. I kept waiting for slapstick, but it never came. This is an excellent work of Science Fiction; original, engaging story. A couple twists I didn't see coming. A very enjoyable read. Can't wait for number 2. My only complaint is that O'Brien was not more likeable and/or heroic.
Mark Leone
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has a different feel from the majority of Rob's books. That said, each night I'd find myself reading longer, unwilling to put it down. This is a compelling story that rides between sci-fi and historical fiction. I look forward to its sequel this spring!
Robert Hypes
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept and well written

Fast paced page turner. Interesting characters and plot. I am looking forward to the next installments of the story later this year.
Francis S. Poesy
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, sci-fi
Rob Kroese once again makes me want to read sci-fi again. Just the right blend of sci-fi, history, and action. I can't wait for the next book in this series to come out.
Pat Patterson
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
You don't HAVE to be conversant with 9th century Norse to enjoy this book, but it wouldn't hurt.
You can find a more exhaustive treatment of the book at my blog, Papa Pat Rambles.
If it is a MAJOR GENRE point, then revealing it isn't a spoiler, right? If, in a review of 'Titanic,' I said 'the boat sank,' that would not ruin the story for anyone, would it? Well, here we have a time travel story. They go back in time.
In the present day, an American air force colonel and a British air force major are
Carol Kean
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Vikings! Big, brave men in horned helmets, in a snowy, remote land.

**NO HORNS** - that was a myth. Well, damn. This is historically accurate Alt-History (that's "alternative history" for my sister Lori, who'd need even further explanation, but we will stop at that.)

And not steaming locomotives. Not that anyone was expecting those... well, except certain addled readers.

Fine. I confess. Husband watches Steam Engine documentaries on TV, and my bifocals need updating, but first glance at this Altern
Joyce
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought the concept would be just nuts and no way could he pull this off into something believable. Boy am I glad I was wrong! This is a great read that starts off in the 23rd century with humanity losing their war against the Cho-ta'an we are talking Space Opera events. Then the crew is flung back in time to the Vikings and we got typical time-traveler events.
Everyone is worked up about the futility of trying to change events in the past to save the future, because of the old "if we
Patrick Barnes
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different and fun

This was a different alternate reality for sure. Scandinavia getting a tech edge because of stranded space travelers from the future is very cool. From going Viking to building factories in the ninth century is a very new take on the genre.

The main characters are pretty realistic in terms of their backstory, both the space travelers and the Norwegians. The action was realistic enough that I wanted to warn the characters.

The writing really felt like a historical novel, except f
Mike Milligan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not at all what I expected

This feels a bit like Timeline and The Martian collided. It's an interesting take on the perils of time travel, at least for me. I'd never heard the theory that "paradox simply won't happen." And holy crap, Vikings with guns... Stylistically and thematically, this well written. It could do with some polishing though, I noticed some issues with sentences that had possibly been changed midway through and not fixed and that sort of thing. Stuff that an editor should notice
Tony Hinde
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
It's well written but the plot lacks focus and tends to wander aimlessly. It can be argued that this is realistic, but I'd prefer a firm narrative arc.

The characters are also believable. We don't get to see much of their inner dialogue, but each is distinct and consistent.

Finally, by sticking to the one-universe theory of time travel, the story is severely constrained. We know from the outset that nothing major can happen, since history says it didn't. Once again, points for realism, but it come
David
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A serious sci-fi story (not one of the author's comedies) about alien invaders that destroy Earth and pursue escaping human spaceships that seek safe harbor at some other star. A warship carrying a powerful weapon, pursued by enemies crashes on Earth in the time of the vikings, about 900 AD. The Earthers from the future find themselves pulled into the political struggles of the Norsemen, and there is exciting action along with their attempts to McGyver a way to return. Fun book, look forward to ...more
Cory Rose
Not that good

Takes till about 30% to get to the part where they're in the past, and the characters just aren't that good, they don't seem very smart, clever, or capable, three of them are so indistinguishable you could change their names at random and probably wouldn't even notice, the other one is decent, but really this is just not worth reading when there are so many other similar books that are just so much better. Interesting premise poor execution.
clinton n smith
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but the Mary Sue is strong with this one

Will read the next one and really loved the premise but lots of hand wringing from the modern folks trapped in the past which I suppose is realistic but still annoying. Other than that and some so so plot devices in the beginning that didn't make a whole lot of sense to get them to the past I really liked it. Can't wait to see what they come up with next. Vikings with black powder guns and bombs. :-)
Barbara
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf, abandoned
I wanted to like this as I love the author's Mercury series. However, this is very different. It is straight hard SF rather than a humorous romp. It isn't badly written but it does move very slowly. I got halfway through and they've only just met up with the Vikings, with predictably grim results. This is book 1 of a trilogy and I just not looking forward to the journey to the ultimate conclusion.
Violet H Harmon
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific!

Loved it! The idea of leaving modern life (no matter how bad!) for the 9th Century is horrifying. But extremely interesting. Our four space people are thrown into this situation. With the weight of knowing their world in their own time may be ending, they are forced to battle Vikings and try to hang on to their freedom and their lives. They go from one adventure to the next. I’m looking forward to book two.
Vishnu Hu
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it
An empty book.
The story seems historically accurate, consistent, and initially interesting to say the least. Mind me, since its only the first book, but it seems that the series holds no direction. The events drive no moral conflict in the reader. There is barely any conflict in ideologies, or perspective. This makes story sound like a bibliography, a series of events holding no meaning.

Curt Bradley
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Series Start!

I liked the way the author fleshed out the Vikings, Sigurd became a real person not some character in the page. I hope nothing happens to him and he continues to assist and lead the grounded crew in their impossible dream--Vikings in space??? Looking forward to the next book!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Collectors (Star Trek: Department of Temporal Investigations #3)
  • Nethereal (Soul Cycle #1)
  • Riding the Red Horse
  • City Beyond Time: Tales of the Fall of Metachronopolis
  • Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Star Trek/Green Lantern: The Spectrum War
  • Back to the Future: Untold Tales and Alternate Timelines
  • Star Trek/Planet of the Apes: The Primate Directive
  • Back to the Future, Part 2
  • Forget the Alamo! (The Lone Star Reloaded Series Book 1)
  • Straight Outta Tombstone
  • . . . And Then There Were None
  • Airships of Camelot: The Rise of Arthur
  • Her Brother's Keeper
  • Tech, Lies, and Wizardry (Black Ocean #0.5)
  • The Dragon Done It
  • Forbidden Thoughts
  • A Colder War
Robert Kroese's sense of irony was honed growing up in Grand Rapids, Michigan - home of the Amway Corporation and the Gerald R. Ford Museum, and the first city in the United States to fluoridate its water supply. In second grade, he wrote his first novel, the saga of Captain Bill and his spaceship Thee Eagle. This turned out to be the high point of his academic career. After barely graduating from ...more

Saga of the Iron Dragon (2 books)
  • The Dawn of the Iron Dragon: An Alternate History Viking Epic (Saga of the Iron Dragon Book 2)
“Please, Sigurd,” Gunnar begged. “What are you doing?” “Fishing,” Sigurd said, and shoved Gunnar overboard.” 0 likes