Start by marking “Maximus” as Want to Read:
Maximus

Maximus

Mitch says stuff sucks. His life had been turned upside down since his dad started working FIFO at the mines. From a messy bedroom to a close footy match; an annoying little sister to incredible ANZAC projects; losing friends and losing face, Mitch deals with an explosion of feelings associated with bullying, fighting, suspension, family conflict and his first crush, all i ...more
Published January 30th 2018 by Serenity Press

To ask other readers questions about Maximus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maximus

Miriam Lo
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I love about Maximus:
It's REAL - From the beach, to the bush, to the birds (especially the magpie), this is Western Australia! All the cultural references are spot on - from Mitch's FIFO Dad, to his whinging little sister Megan, to his Noongar friend Ryan, and even the doofus football star and bully, Jason. This could be a story from my town!
It's UNREAL - This is a story about hope and possibility, about moving from antagonism to the creative space where problems can be solved. From one gue
Loretta Ryan
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book came as part of a standing order we have for our primary school library.

Reading the blurb about this and finding out it deals with family conflict, bullying, fighting and a boys first crush I felt I needed to read this first before placing on the book shelves to determine its suitability.

All topics were handled mildly and it turned out to be a half decent read but I don't think this will be a book that will fly of the shelve.
Rebecca Palmer
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an important book for both girls and boys about relationships gone wrong. It is written using the language we all know and love in Australia, irreverent yet accessible for those who need it the most - children looking for experiences that mirror their own, who are desperate to make sense of their world.
Joanne
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved Maximus! Read it in one sitting. The strong Australian themes and authentic voice of protagonist Mitch kept me engaged right to the very end. A timely novel and one dealing with relevant issues, middle grade boys in particular, will relate to. My twelve year old nephew got his copy for Christmas and, for a non reader, so far is enjoying it immensely.
Joel Candy
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Maximus is an enjoyable and compelling read. The story flows naturally, but is not a glossy "everything is awesome" book. Steve Heron has written a real book for real people - especially real adolescents for whom life is not as easy as the sitcoms or movies they see (or as ridiculous as soap operas).

The main character lives with a normal (imperfect) family, and struggles with common problems (and maybe some not-so-common ones) that don't always have easy textbook answers.
We feel for the charact
Clara
Jan 19, 2019
Steve Heron
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Trace Radcliffe