Start by marking “Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)

Crown of Coral and Pearl

(Crown of Coral and Pearl #1)

For generations, the princes of Ilara have married the most beautiful maidens from the ocean village of Varenia. But though every girl longs to be chosen as the next princess, the cost of becoming royalty is higher than any of them could ever imagine…

Nor once dreamed of seeing the wondrous wealth and beauty of Ilara, the kingdom that’s ruled her village for as long as any
Published August 27th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Coral and Pearl, please sign up.
Heather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Sol ~ TheBookishKing
Now Available!

"Sorrow is good for the soul, Father had said after the incident, when I had recovered from the pain and sickness but had still not grown used to the feel of the torn flesh on my otherwise flawless skin. "Those who have never known pain or adversity are as shallow as the waves lapping on the shore."

"And what is wrong with being shallow?" I'd asked him.

"What lies beneath the surface of shallow waters? Nothing. It's only when you go deeper that the ocean comes alive. The deeper you go, the more mysAvailable!
"Sorrow
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The August Fae Crate FINALLY arrived today 9-16-19. Click the link below the pic to see the goodies. I have a couple of favs!

THE GOODIES

Sigh and shit!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
jessica
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if ‘grace and fury’ and ‘red queen’ had a love child who spent the summers with their distant aunt in ‘house of salt and sorrows,’ it would be this book.

i found this story had all the best elements of those particular books - sisterly devotion, brotherly princes who couldnt be more different, magic and its exploitation, court politics and scheming, with the enchanting lure of a seaside atmosphere. all of these aspects arent new, but somehow this story delivers them in a way that kept me interested.

my one major co
BookHugger
Jan 06, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
did i add this to my tbr just because the cover's pretty? no, why would you suggest that?
Zainab
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good LORD this was good!
The only downside is that I have to wait a whole year for the next book. That kinda sucks.
It's hard to believe that this is the author's first published book if I'm being completely honest.
I don't think I have to explain what happens is the book because it's kind of clear.
Anyway, the characters! OOF. Talin and Nor are loveable and all but Ceren! The guy is COLD. And I mean cold cold. He is cruel and vile and extremely unloveable and that's exactly what
arini
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
#1 crown of coral and pearl ★★★
#2 kingdom of sea and stone

im not sure if i should be grateful or disappointed that i managed to get out of this book unscathed. i mean, considering how bloody treacherous life inside a royal court can get. especially when you're an outsider, a commoner girl playing princess.

this book, in my scale, falls into the pretty good category. it's not impeccably impressive that i would immediately call myself a fan, but also not horribly distasteful that i would outrightly dismiss the idea ofprincess.
★★★
#2
Candace Robinson
So right away, I really liked the first half of this book. The sister bond was well done and I really connected with Nor.

For me, I kept waiting for the romance to build between Nor and Talin, or take away the romance. I loved their connection at the beginning of the book but then their whole relationship was underdeveloped, which would have been fine, but I kept getting insta love vibes from Nor! Ceren was actually well developed and he was quite the baddy, but I liked him?
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
I was frightened of the person I was becoming: a woman who lied to everyone, who disrespected her parents, who helped her sister injure herself. A woman who would spy on a king.

A woman who would steal a crown.

Right up until the end, I thought this was going to be a 4-star read. Nor was wonderfully smart, the politics were actually interesting, and I loved the premise of the story. But there were three main problems:

1) The romance was absolutely shite.

2) I sympathised with the 'villain' way more than I did with theproblems:
sandeep
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars

”I’m the perfect seashell you pick up from the ocean floor, only to turn it over in your hand and see the crack.”

Thank you, NetGalley and Harlequin Australia, for sending me an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review! :)
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Crown of Coral and Pearl
Series: Crown of Coral and Pearl #1
Author: Mara Rutherford
Release date: August 27, 2019
Genre: fantasy, YA

I wasn't prepared for how obsessed I would feel about this story. How I'd be so completely absorbed with these characters' lives that I'd care more about their welfare than being gritty eyed and sluggish the next day. Yes, it's one of those Sacrifice Proper Sleep kind of books. After blogging for so long I probably go through twenty-five potentially exciting books before I find one that hits the mark in every single
Rutherford
Release#1
Pearl
Monika Sadowski
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful fantasy debut for Mara Rutherford. Family values, sisters love, kingdom and the prince. What else do we need? There were few plots and twists which made this book even more interesting. Very well written with good developed characters, right away I got my favorites and figures that I dislike.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for a fair review.
Laurie –A Court of Books–
“You’d really risk everything for some servant boy? His life is worth nothing compared to yours.”
“My life is worth nothing if I ever believe that.”

I received an ARC of Crown of Coral and Pearl at BookCon, this in no way impacts my review. However, my review is based on an unfinished and uncorrected copy, please note that the story and quotes may differ from the final book. I’ll keep this review as spoiler-free as possible.

The third book of my '10 books in 3 weeks' project

Seventeen-year-old Nor grew up in Varenia, an isolated village on theproject
4.5
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

Read that title... What comes to mind?! Mermaids, right?! Well this isn't exactly a mermaid book but its really close... That, twin sisters and the cover really sold me on wanting to read Crown of Coral and Pearl! And you can't blame me right?! You kind of want to read it now too... except it would help if I told you whether it was worth it or not...

Well, I think the cover is gorgeous! And it does echo themes and ideas in the book and perfectly suits the title too. WWriter...
The
Elly
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I was fortunate enough to read an early copy, and was immediately entranced by the rich, atmospheric world. Nor and Zadie have one of the most touchingly authentic sister relationships I've ever encountered, and Nor's journey has all the tension, twists, and romance I crave in YA fantasy. Couldn't put this one down!
Tucker
May 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
911: 911, what's your emergency?

Me: Yes! I would like to report a robbery.

911: And what has been stolen?

Me: My soul. My soul has been taken by a book cover.

911: ...
Dark River
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I've had this book on my tbr for a while because the promise of a magical tale involving the sea and a pair of twin sisters with some court intrigue sprinkled in sounded awesome, and I was not let down in that regard. Nor and Zadie love each other so, so much, it's almost palpable through the pages. And that love does not falter, no matter what life throws at them, and no matter how far apart they are. I found that refreshing to read about, same as the vivid description of Varenia and their home ...more
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
This is so fun, and unique and I completely love this! I don’t read very much YA Fantasy any more and this one is just so easy to read and fly through! I’m just going to go over some plot and some key points that really made this stand out for me.

description

Overview:

In this world, one beautiful girl is chosen from the village of Varenia to become the wife of theclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
In
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers below.

Crown of Coral and Pearl was a lot of fun to dive into. In it, you will meet Zadie and Nor. Twin sisters that live in a place where beauty gives you status (in a way). Now these two definitely had their ups and downs. Nor was in an accident when she was younger, an accident that ended up saving her sister's life. Yet, since that day she lost value in her own mother's eyes. It was okay though because Zadie a/>Crown
Melanie (mells_view)
... be careful and cautious with your heart, for things are not always what they seem.

Ok. So I liked the majority of this book. I like the world that was built. The beautiful yet poor sea village of Varenia. The simplicity of Ilara that felt brand new being seen through Nor’s eyes. The cold and dark yet rich mountain of New Castle. The royal court and how corrupt and mysterious it was. Our heroine not knowing who to trust in the new land she’s navigating.

I liked the characters that we
Joan He
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
longer review tk BUT GUYS THIS BOOK IS AMAZING (as is Mara) and will delight anyone who loves a good twin relationship, ocean-aesthetics, and complex villains <333
Misstdennis
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EXCUSE ME?

But, this book looks amazing!
I'm getting some The Wrath and the Dawn vibes, and I'm okay with this.
Luna
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like the author googled basic template for fantasy novel and filled them in with details. If you changed some of the character names, and setting this book is so unemarkable it falls into the category of any fantasy novel.
The writing of this book was very basic, it seemed like a 8th grader wrote it. The plot was so basic and bland with most of the actual action happening through DIALOGUE explaining it happening instead of the reader experiencing it themselves. The writing of this bo
Suaad (I just want a cat)
3.5 Stars

- Promising start to a series
- Fast paced
- Likeable characters
- Nice political war, nothing too complicated
- Lovely romance
Cliffhanger? - No
Publication Date – August 27, 2019
Genre – Fantasy
Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

Hmmm…I think the number 1 thing that irked me the most about this book was how much I despised Zadie and the crap that she put Nor through. Which, don’t get me wrong, isn’t a bad thing…it shows how talented an author is to get the reader ex/>My/>/>/>/>
Sh3lly
Jul 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Maybe it's just me, but I find Zadie incredibly annoying. Nor gives her the credit for everything and lies through her teeth to "protect" her sister - and Zadie lets her do it. Their mother is vile, vain, and abusive.

So far, I have only gotten to 20%. I will keep going to see what happens when the inevitable switch takes place and she gets off the island. (Is it an island or like Water World?)

So far, the women of the water city are incredibly superficial. Beauty is literally the only thing
Laurie
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was swept up into the tide of CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL from the very first page. This fantasy tale of sea-dwelling Nor's arranged marriage to a cruel, mountain-dwelling prince is brimming with palace intrigue, forbidden romance, fantastical creatures and the power of sisterly love. I've a fondness for rich fantasy details, and Nor's ocean home was the perfect antidote to the long Vermont winter and cold spring we're having (the entire village is set completely on the ocean, not connected to la ...more
Sarah Glenn Marsh
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-blurbed
Official comments: "A tale of intrigue, love, and sisterhood as dazzling as a sunny day at sea, you're sure to be swept away by A CROWN OF CORAL AND PEARL."

Unofficial comments: WOW. Talk about a clever heroine who shows some real grit. I loved every page!
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Thank you to Inkyard Press (formerly Harlequin TEEN) and NetGalley for the eARC in exchange for an honest review! All opinions are my own.

I can't say much more than the blurb of the book. It was definitely over summarized, and two things that could have been major plot twists were revealed, leaving literally nothing to the imagination for the first half of the book. It was nice to read about the legends and lore surrounding Varenia. I thought the ocean world was built fairly well, bu
Erin Arkin
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve had Crown of Coral and Pearl by Mara Rutherford on my to read shelf for a while so when I was able to get at copy while at ALA this year, I bumped it up on my reading schedule.

The main character is Nor and she has grown up in the ocean village of Varenia so she’s been surrounded by water her whole life. Her village is struggling to get by because of the limits they have on trade as well as the fact that the pearls they hunt and sell to survive are becoming more and more scarce.
Raven
Jul 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I was provided with an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

When reading the premise of this book, I was excited. It sounded like a fresh new fantasy! I was excited to read a fantasy by the sea with some political intrigue. However I didn't expect the summary to tell me what half the book was. Nothing new happened in the book until about 46% into the book, which is not a problem with the story just whoever is in charge of writing the summaries. So I highly r

• The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Rise of the Dragon Moon
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • We Are Blood and Thunder
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Beckoning Shadow (The Beckoning Shadow, #1)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
Mara Rutherford began her writing career as a journalist but quickly discovered she far preferred fantasy to reality. Originally from California, Mara has since lived all over the world, from Russia to Peru, along with her Marine-turned-diplomat husband and two sons. A triplet born on Leap Day, Mara holds a Master's degree in Cultural Studies from the University of London and would rather study th ...more

Crown of Coral and Pearl (2 books)
  • Kingdom of Sea and Stone
“Those who have never known pain or adversity are as shallow as the waves lapping on the shore."

"And what is wrong with being shallow?" I'd asked him.

"What lies beneath the surface of shallow waters? Nothing. It's only when you go deeper that the ocean comes alive. The deeper you go, the more mysteries and surprises await.”
1 likes