Start by marking “Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)

Crown of Coral and Pearl

(Crown of Coral and Pearl #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  11,013 ratings  ·  1,821 reviews
For generations, the princes of Ilara have married the most beautiful maidens from the ocean village of Varenia. But though every girl longs to be chosen as the next princess, the cost of becoming royalty is higher than any of them could ever imagine…

Nor once dreamed of seeing the wondrous wealth and beauty of Ilara, the kingdom that’s ruled her village for as long as anyo
Published August 27th 2019 by Inkyard Press

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Coral and Pearl, please sign up.
Heather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  11,013 ratings  ·  1,821 reviews

Start your review of Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
jessica
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
if ‘grace and fury’ and ‘red queen’ had a love child who spent the summers with their distant aunt in ‘house of salt and sorrows,’ it would be this book.

i found this story had all the best elements of those particular books - sisterly devotion, brotherly princes who couldnt be more different, magic and its exploitation, court politics and scheming, with the enchanting lure of a seaside atmosphere. all of these aspects arent new, but somehow this story delivers them in a way that kept me interes
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Now Available!

"Sorrow is good for the soul, Father had said after the incident, when I had recovered from the pain and sickness but had still not grown used to the feel of the torn flesh on my otherwise flawless skin. "Those who have never known pain or adversity are as shallow as the waves lapping on the shore."

"And what is wrong with being shallow?" I'd asked him.

Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
#1 Crown of Coral and Pearl — 3 Stars
#2 Kingdom of Sea and Stone — 3 Stars

I’m not sure if I should be grateful or disappointed that I managed to get out of this book unscathed. It was enjoyable to read. But the romance left a lot to be desired. I hope the sequel will be worth reading.

Selling Points:

Brilliant depiction of twin relationship
One of the things that this book did get right was how difficult and polarizing siblings relationship could be. Nor and Zadia had opposite personali
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
The August Fae Crate FINALLY arrived today 9-16-19. Click the link below the pic to see the goodies. I have a couple of favs!

THE GOODIES

Sigh and shit!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
High Lady of The Night Court
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-read
And what is wrong with being shallow?
What lies beneath the surface of shallow waters? Nothing. It’s only when you go deeper that the ocean comes alive. The deeper you go, the more mysteries and surprises await.

I will say that I couldn’t have chosen a better book to start the year. It is perfectly paced and I have a feeling that it might be one to help people out of book slump. I can’t wait to read
Katie • forevermorepages
did i add this to my tbr just because the cover's pretty? no, why would you suggest that? ...more
Zainab
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-19
Good LORD this was good!
The only downside is that I have to wait a whole year for the next book. That sucks.
It's hard to believe that this is the author's first published book if I'm being completely honest.
I don't think I have to explain what happens in the book because it's kind of clear.
Anyway, the characters! OOF. Talin and Nor are loveable and all but Ceren! The guy is COLD. And I mean cold cold. He is cruel and vile and extremely unloveable and that's exactly what makes the book so damn in
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
I was frightened of the person I was becoming: a woman who lied to everyone, who disrespected her parents, who helped her sister injure herself. A woman who would spy on a king.

A woman who would steal a crown.

Right up until the end, I thought this was going to be a 4-star read. Nor was wonderfully smart, the politics were actually interesting, and I loved the premise of the story. But there were three main problems:

1) The romance was absolutely shite.

2) I sympathised with the 'villa
✨ Helena ✨
This was SO GOOD. I can’t believe that I almost didn’t pick it up because it’s so underrated and under-appreciated. :(

There weren’t as many sea adventures as I’d thought there’d be (considering the cover), but there was a tonne of political intrigue, which I enjoyed. It was like Fable meets Ash Princess, both of which I LOVE.

I was also living for the sisterly dynamics. I love seeing sibling bonds in stories. <3

I’m going to be starting the ARC of the sequel ASAP because I have to know how it end
Lucie V.
✅ World-building
✅ Quick read
🆗 Action
🆗 Predictable plot

I enjoyed reading this story, it is a quick read, but most of it is very predictable. I was expecting more sea adventure, instead, most of the story takes place in the palace, so it is more about political intrigue.

Beauty is power.

Nor and Zadie are twins living in Varenia, a small village in the ocean. Where they come from, your worth is based on your beauty, because the most beautiful girl in th
Luna
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I feel like the author googled basic template for fantasy novel and filled them in with details. If you changed some of the character names, and setting this book is so unemarkable it falls into the category of any fantasy novel.
The writing of this book was very basic, it seemed like a 8th grader wrote it. The plot was so basic and bland with most of the actual action happening through DIALOGUE explaining it happening instead of the reader experiencing it themselves. The writing of this book was
☆she's book obsessed☆
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-own
Crown Of Coral And Pearl
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This book surprised me! I had low expectations going into this as I always try to keep away from any details. Ahhh I loved the writing style, it instantly clicked with me. I also loved that the romance was a PART of the plot and not THE plot. It kept me on edge at all times and I enjoyed this read so much! I can't wait to get my hands on the second book😊.
sandeep
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
4/5 Stars

”I’m the perfect seashell you pick up from the ocean floor, only to turn it over in your hand and see the crack.”

Thank you, NetGalley and Harlequin Australia, for sending me an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review! :)
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Crown of Coral and Pearl
Series: Crown of Coral and Pearl #1
Author: Mara Rutherford
Release date: August 27, 2019
Genre: fantasy, YA

I wasn't prepared for how obsessed I would feel about this story. How I'd be so completely absorbed with these characters' lives that I'd care more about their welfare than being gritty eyed and sluggish the next day. Yes, it's one of those Sacrifice Proper Sleep kind of books. After blogging for so long I probably go through twenty-five potentially exciting b
Carrie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Crown of Coral and Pearl by Mara Rutherford is the first book in the new young adult fantasy series by the same name. Seeing as I can be a bit hit or miss when it comes to fantasy series I was actually pleasantly surprised when reading this one by just how much I enjoyed it.

The story begins by building the world in which twins sisters Nor and Zadie have been born and raised. The ocean village of Varenia is a poor one in that is controlled by the royalty in Ilara and in which every member of a fa
Iffat(Taylor's Version)
Got a bowl? Amazing. Now gather the followings:

-America Singer's stubbornness, angstiness, a family to provide, and a wonderful sisterhood bonding from The Selection
- Mare Barrow's
powerful-ness, (view spoiler), and the same points which have been described above from Red Queen
-Jude Duarte's
bravery, bad-assary and amazingness and A TWIN from The Cruel Prince
-umm...

Do I need to continue? *coughs*basically just insert all the ya-female-protagonist's
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
May 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
911: 911, what's your emergency?

Me: Yes! I would like to report a robbery.

911: And what has been stolen?

Me: My soul. My soul has been taken by a book cover.

911: ...

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Monika Sadowski
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful fantasy debut for Mara Rutherford. Family values, sisters love, kingdom and the prince. What else do we need? There were few plots and twists which made this book even more interesting. Very well written with good developed characters, right away I got my favorites and figures that I dislike.

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, in exchange for a fair review.
Dark River
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I've had this book on my tbr for a while because the promise of a magical tale involving the sea and a pair of twin sisters with some court intrigue sprinkled in sounded awesome, and I was not let down in that regard. Nor and Zadie love each other so, so much, it's almost palpable through the pages. And that love does not falter, no matter what life throws at them, and no matter how far apart they are. I found that refreshing to read about, same as the vivid description of Varenia and their home ...more
Ashlee » libraryinthecountry
Wow. This is one of the best YA fantasy books I’ve read in years and honestly, I am a little disappointed that it isn’t talked about more!

I feel like this is going to be one of those raving reviews where I just talk and talk and talk about all of the positive aspects of this book … and it would be accurate to do that because there isn’t much that I didn’t enjoy!

There is a heavy romance subplot and I’ll be honest, at times I wasn’t sure where I wanted it to go. Okay, okay, actually I did. But dam
Nana
Nov 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved it and devoured it.

Crown of Coral and Pearl by Mara Rutherford is a fantastic YA fantasy.

The atmosphere of this is so amazing, and I connected so fast with the protagonist.

✔ An original world.
✔ Castles.
✔ Royalty.
✔ Strong family ties.
✔ Strong female lead.
✔ Intrigues.

Romance is not much of the central theme of the story, but I definitely liked the way it was being constructed.

I really enjoyed this, and after that ending, I went to read the next one right away.
Oh and that cover, I lov
Laurie –Read Between The Skylines–
“You’d really risk everything for some servant boy? His life is worth nothing compared to yours.”
“My life is worth nothing if I ever believe that.”

I received an ARC of Crown of Coral and Pearl at BookCon, this in no way impacts my review. However, my review is based on an unfinished and uncorrected copy, please note that the story and quotes may differ from the final book. I’ll keep this review as spoiler-free as possible.

The third book of my '10 books in 3 weeks' project

Sevente
Elly
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I was fortunate enough to read an early copy, and was immediately entranced by the rich, atmospheric world. Nor and Zadie have one of the most touchingly authentic sister relationships I've ever encountered, and Nor's journey has all the tension, twists, and romance I crave in YA fantasy. Couldn't put this one down! ...more
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

The Buzz

Read that title... What comes to mind?! Mermaids, right?! Well this isn't exactly a mermaid book but its really close... That, twin sisters and the cover really sold me on wanting to read Crown of Coral and Pearl! And you can't blame me right?! You kind of want to read it now too... except it would help if I told you whether it was worth it or not...

Well, I think the cover is gorgeous! And it does echo themes and ideas in the book and p
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
This is so fun, and unique and I completely love this! I don’t read very much YA Fantasy any more and this one is just so easy to read and fly through! I’m just going to go over some plot and some key points that really made this stand out for me.

description

Overview:

In this world, one beautiful girl is chosen from the village of Varenia to become the wife of the Prince of Ilara. Now, of course, there isn’t a set time of year this happens, it’s just every time there’s a new prince. Nor and her sister Zadie
Melanie (mells_view)
... be careful and cautious with your heart, for things are not always what they seem.

Ok. So I liked the majority of this book. I like the world that was built. The beautiful yet poor sea village of Varenia. The simplicity of Ilara that felt brand new being seen through Nor’s eyes. The cold and dark yet rich mountain of New Castle. The royal court and how corrupt and mysterious it was. Our heroine not knowing who to trust in the new land she’s navigating.

I liked the characters that were present
Alaina
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers below.

Crown of Coral and Pearl was a lot of fun to dive into. In it, you will meet Zadie and Nor. Twin sisters that live in a place where beauty gives you status (in a way). Now these two definitely had their ups and downs. Nor was in an accident when she was younger, an accident that ended up saving her sister's life. Yet, since that day she lost value in her own mother's eyes. It was okay though because Zadie and
Joan He
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
longer review tk BUT GUYS THIS BOOK IS AMAZING (as is Mara) and will delight anyone who loves a good twin relationship, ocean-aesthetics, and complex villains <333
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fantasy
1.5 stars.

Like I said in one of my status updates, Crown of Coral and Pearl was...empty of everything. The premise was pretty generic to begin with, but I had hopes that Rutherford would be able to transform it into an intriguing YA Fantasy novel. Sadly, the writing style and plot development lacked emotion and careful thought.

The world-building was okay, if a little underdeveloped for my reading tastes, and it was interesting to read about two cultures clashing when Nor got sent off to marry
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – Crown of Coral and Pearl
Author – Mara Rutherford
Series – None
Cliffhanger? - No
Publication Date – August 27, 2019
Genre – Fantasy
Rating – 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary copy generously provided by the author through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story

Hmmm…I think the number 1 thing that irked me the most about this book was how much I despised Zadie and the crap that she put Nor through. Which, don’t get me wrong, isn’t a bad thing…it shows how talented an au

• Sapienta (L'empire des femmes #1)
  • Chasing the Shadows (Sentinels of the Galaxy, #2)
  • Heartwood Box
  • The Weaver (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • The Night Weaver
  • Mirror Bound (The Witchling Academy #2)
  • Stranger Rituals (Stranger Rituals, #1)
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • Six Goodbyes We Never Said
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Songs from the Deep
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • The Light at the Bottom of the World (Light the Abyss, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • Bid My Soul Farewell (Give the Dark My Love, #2)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
See top shelves…
Mara Rutherford began her writing career as a journalist but quickly discovered she far preferred fantasy to reality. A triplet born on Leap Day, Mara has lived all over the world with her diplomat husband and two sons. She is the author of Crown of Coral and Pearl and its sequel, Kingdom of Sea and Stone; Luminous; and the upcoming THE POISON SEASON (December 6, 2022).

Crown of Coral and Pearl (2 books)
  • Kingdom of Sea and Stone (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #2)

Articles featuring this book

“Those who have never known pain or adversity are as shallow as the waves lapping on the shore."

"And what is wrong with being shallow?" I'd asked him.

"What lies beneath the surface of shallow waters? Nothing. It's only when you go deeper that the ocean comes alive. The deeper you go, the more mysteries and surprises await.”
10 likes
“Hiding our scars doesn't mean they're not really there. Just as beauty cannot disguise who we really are beneath the surface.” 6 likes