Start by marking “Casey Agonistes and Other Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories” as Want to Read:
Casey Agonistes and Other Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories

The Secret Place (1966)
Mine Own Ways (1960)
Fiddler's Green (1967)
Mass Market Paperback, 212 pages
Published January 1st 1978 by Ace Books (first published 1973)

Be the first to ask a question about Casey Agonistes and Other Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories

Oscar
Desde hace tiempo tenía ganas de leer este libro. Me llamaban la atención tanto el título como la edición, en tapa dura, pequeña y manejable, de la antigua editorial Minotauro. Al autor, Richard McKenna, no lo conocía y los relatos incluídos tampoco, aunque son muy admirados por algunos grandes autores, entre ellos Robert Silverberg y Damon Knight.

Richard McKenna empezó a escribir bastante tarde, a los 36 años, y será recordado sobre todo, a parte de por sus relatos, por 'Los granos de arena', l
Daniel Philpott
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This collection of well constructed sci-fi short stories is poorly named. With sci-fi books almost any deviation into the fantastical is automatically labeled fantasy. This book would have been more aptly titled "and Magical Realism Stories".

It was a great surprise to pick up what should have been some sci-fi stories by a lesser known author and discover what were instead stories investigating the human condition along sci-fi themes. The tales range from masterfully written dense text on dying t
Syd Logsdon
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of most of Richard McKenna’s science fiction, but I will focus on Hunter, Come Home. McKenna was a force in the science fiction world, but only for a sadly short time before his death. Outside the SF community, he is known for his best seller The Sand Pebbles.
Here is a brief, spoiler-free summary of Hunter, Come Home.
Mordinmen are descendants of a lost Earth colony which has fought a generations long war against the dinosaur like creatures which inhabited their planet. Manh
Diego Prado
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
in-cre-í-ble.
el dorado es una pieza de locura lógica sin comparación.
Steve
If I were putting together an anthology of the best fantasy stories from the middle of the Twentieth Century, "Casey Agonistes" would definitely be included. It's a wonderful story, far and away my favorite in this book. I don't think it has dated at all.

Richard McKenna had a fascinating life. He enlisted in the Navy at eighteen and served for twenty-two years, through both World War II and the Korean War. In the early 1950's he left the Navy and went to college. He met the woman he married ther
Isidore
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Primarily remembered as the author of The Sand Pebbles, McKenna's writing career lasted only ten years, and he had just attained mainstream success when he died at fifty-one.

He started out writing fantastic fiction, and never wholly abandoned the genre. "Casey Agonistes" was his first published story.

I first encountered "Casey" many years ago in a Judith Merrill anthology. It moved me to tears. His first published story? Unbelievable.

Well, I'm now a more hardboiled character than I was in my 't
Andrew
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a blast from my past - stumbled upon while retrieving other books (see the Wild Cards). This was one of the first science fiction books I bought while still finding my way. it was part of a large consignment of books which I bought on face value (I was as much knowledgeable about the artist who did the front cover as much as I knew about the author), and it because part of my introduction to the world of science fiction short stories. It is hard to describe the stories without giving the ...more
Phil
Can't remember the stories themselves, but I just thought the cover was so cool.
Variaciones Enrojo
Edición argentina de la novela de McKenna.
Kalin
Nov 19, 2013 marked it as to-read
Especially "Hunter, Come Home".
Jason Valletta
Bill
Feb 13, 2011
Rodleech
Jan 27, 2011
RICHARD MCKENNA was born and raised in the small desert town of Mountain Home, Idaho. In 1931, at the age of eighteen, he enlisted in the United States Navy and served for ten years in Asia. Two of those years were on a Yangtze River gunboat. During this time he heard many firsthand accounts of the 1925-1927 Chinese Revolution which he put to use in The Sand Pebbles.

Mr. McKenna, a machinist's mate