Start by marking “A Creature Was Stirring” as Want to Read:
A Creature Was Stirring

A Creature Was Stirring

'Twas the night before Christmas, and in this great house the creature who stirred was a boy, not a mouse.

And while upstairs his parents were dreaming and snoring, with Santa so close, sleep seemed pretty boring.

Esteemed New Yorker cover artist Carter Goodrich retells the story of 'Twas the night before Christmas from the child's point of view.

With Clement Clarke Mo

Published October 3rd 2006 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about A Creature Was Stirring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Creature Was Stirring

Marsha
Feb 18, 2016 Marsha rated it really liked it
I’ve seen countless literary renditions of Clement Clarke Moore’s A Visit from St. Nicholas (some of them even manage to get the title right). So for one of those to pique my interest, it has to have something special: riveting illustrations and/or a stunning cover or a unique twist in the storyline. The latter features in this tale, as we have one observer who breaks the rules about staying asleep during Santa’s fateful visit.

But wait a sec! The original poem featured someone who was wide awake
Rosa Cline
Jan 07, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
This was a very neatly written book. It takes the traditional "Twas the Night before Christmas' and then puts a 'twist' on it with a little boy not going to sleep and worrying about beign put on the naughty list and then sneaking out and getting into Santa's sled. All written in 'rhyme' and nicely done illustrations are great as well.

BUT the amazing thing about this book is you can read the left pages only and read the entire original 'Twas the Night Before Christmas story; or you can read the
Relyn
Dec 15, 2013 Relyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted on my library website
What a fun twist on an old holiday classic. My students are going to love this one.

Classroom Connections
- Every year one of my Christmas gifts to my students is to read them at least one extra (Christmas) story book per day. Extra read aloud - yay. This one will be terrific for that.
- Use for compare/ contrast with younger students with Moore's version.
- Use in Writer's Workshop as an example of fracturing more than fairy tales.
- Use in Writer's Workshop as an Christmas story starter/ exa
Kate McCartney
Dec 28, 2009 Kate McCartney rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading this to my kids on Christmas Eve, I really wanted to like it. It was meh. The author mixes the original Clement Moore with an adapted version f a boy who couldn't fall asleep. It just didn't mesh for me. I think I would have just like the adapted version, with maybe a few lines of the original. This version just felt to crowded to me. The illustration are really nice though.
Dolly
Dec 19, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, christmas
Framed by Clement C. Moore's famous poem, this is an account of a little boy who finds himself in the predicament of being awake on Christmas Eve, hearing Santa arrive at his house. It's a fun story and juxtaposed with the classic poem, it's a clever way to show the story from a different perspective. Our girls enjoyed this story; it's a good one to read aloud.
Mary
Dec 29, 2015 Mary rated it liked it
Lovely illustrations, but not a great variation on the original Christmas classic. The premise is intriguing, (a child acknowledges that he IS awake and stirring as he awaits Santa's arrival.) But the ending is not satisfying. The child seems to save the sleigh from slipping off his home's roof. But how do the reindeer and Santa respond? The book does not say. Also the rhymes seem a bit forced.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level ?

Elementary: E GOO

They say that not a creature was stirring, but this poor boy never actually got to the part where the sugar-plums were dancing. Find out who is sneaking around and what he does to help Santa.
Danielle
Aug 07, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
OMG! This is for sure a book that EVERY parent MUST read to their kids. CTHU! This was just way too cute. I think this year for Christmas I'll be getting several extra copies and giving them as gifts!
Nanci Booher
Carter Goodrich, author of Say Hello to Zorro and Zorro Gets an Outfit, is rapidly becoming someone I will always read. A new fun twist on the the classic The Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore with rhyming text and great illustrations. This will be added to my collection at home.
Amynicole
Dec 16, 2016 Amynicole rated it did not like it
eh. I'm such a visual personand these drawings were nothing pleasing. i really disliked that the boy called himself "stupid" and that santa smoked a piped. my son even said he didn't look like santa. thumbs down.
Mary
Aug 05, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I had to read this book, because I have so enjoyed the Zorro and Mister Bud books. Carter Goodrich has also written this kid's take on Clement C. Moore's Christmas poem - when the boy can't sleep and "accidentally'" sees Santa. This may put him on the naughty list. A funny story.
Kathy
Jan 29, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
A cute adaptation of A Night Before Christmas. A small boy isn't asleep when Santa comes.
Melanie
Jan 05, 2010 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This was a cute little story and I enjoyed the illustrations.
Marcie
Dec 09, 2010 Marcie rated it liked it
#171
Jeanette
Dec 30, 2012 Jeanette rated it liked it
Cute, but difficult to read aloud.
Carrie
Dec 23, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Santa came to the library and my co-worker and I read this book aloud together. It's a cute spin on The Night Before Christmas - good for 2 voices.
Jenn
Dec 23, 2014 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Super cute take on the classic night before Christmas.
Ian
Sep 12, 2014 Ian rated it it was ok
Pleasing style, confusing plot.
Dec 28, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Kids love this book!
Amber
Cute concept, nice pictures but a little awkward and forced.
James Koppert
Nov 20, 2014 James Koppert rated it liked it
pretty to look at but story was confused
Stefanie
Dec 20, 2012 Stefanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-12
Adorable! Classic "Night Before Christmas" on one page, then a little boy's insights on the other.
Autumn
Dec 11, 2008 Autumn rated it really liked it
I love the short happy Santa in this book! The two different styles used work really well. It's a really cute book.
Anjanette Wold
Looks good but it didn't flow well. The girl fell asleep to it.
Jen
Jan 02, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing
This was a fun surprise. The book is beautiful with a cute story that runs along the famous classic by Clement C. Moore.
Michelle
Jan 21, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
My new favorite Christmas story
Erica
Dec 13, 2013 Erica rated it really liked it

Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Dec 27, 2012 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it really liked it
Quite possibly one of the cutest children's book I've read in awhile!! This little boy is very anxious for Santa to come-he's definitely not going to sleep through the excitement!! :-)
Kathryn
Oct 24, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Cute little story and such wonderful illustrations.
Amanda
Dec 07, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Eruption of smiles + belly laughs tonight reading this story blended with the "'Twas the night before Christmas" story... A brilliant twist on a well-loved classic!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Christmas in the Barn
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Who Will Guide My Sleigh Tonight?
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • The Dolls' Christmas
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Lighthouse Christmas
  • Apple Tree Christmas
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
Carter Goodrich has illustrated sixteen New Yorker covers and was the lead character designer for Despicable Me. He has designed characters for many other beloved animated films, including Brave, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc, Open Season, and Ratatouille, for which he won the International Animated Film Society’s Annie Award for character design. A Rhode Island School of Design graduate, he has twi ...more
More about Carter Goodrich...