Start by marking “Last Train to Helsingør” as Want to Read:
Last Train to Helsingør

Last Train to Helsingør

‘A nice slice of creepy Scandi-noir’ Daily Mail

Copenhagen is a mysterious city where strange and sinister things often happen. Menacing and at times darkly humorous there are echoes of Roald Dahl and Daphne du Maurier in these stories, many of which have been specially commissioned for Radio 4.

From the commuter who bitterly regrets falling asleep on a late-night train in L
Published February 2018 by Muswell Press (first published January 29th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Last Train to Helsingør, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Train to Helsingør

Blair
The title story, which opens the collection, is as though Jeremy de Quidt's 'The Wrong Train' has been rewritten for adults by someone who's recently read Robert Aickman's 'The Hospice'. It's a promising start, and many of the other tales live up to it. 'The Music Box' is a cautionary tale of a collector's lust for a cursed object; 'The Tallboy' spins an equally enjoyable scene around a similar premise. 'The Light from Dead Stars' is a crime story in which a police inspector, about to retire, is ...more
Dimitris Passas
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I purchased this anthology without knowing anything about the author, so I was a bit skeptical in the beginning but in the end I can say that the majority of the short stories satisfied me. You should bear in mind that I'm not an ardent fan of short crime stories as they lack the necessary plot development elements and proper characterization.
''Last Train to Helsingør'' made me invest some time in its reading and I found that some of the stories had great potential such as the titular one (the
Rowena Hoseason
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
These Danish short stories meander along the sinister side of twilight, weaving dark descriptions of despair, duplicity and justly-deserved retribution.
The 19 haunting and subtle stories in this anthology come from author Heidi Amsinck who, although born in Copenhagen, writes fluidly and artfully in English.
This makes her writing refreshingly accessible for an international audience – although you’re never in any doubt that these tales take place in the slightly strange Scandinavian landscape.
Don Jimmy
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it. Review to come on blog tour Oct 24th
Stephanie
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
With thanks to the publisher for the copy received. Last Train to Helsingør is a collection of short stories all set in or around Copenhagen. They all have a similar theme, they are either concerning unscrupulous or lonely people or those who’ve something to hide. They have been accurately likened to both Roald Dahl and Daphne du Maurier. All of them were very good.
I always read short stories over a few days, I find that I appreciate them more that way. There were none that I disliked and I have
Cheryl M-M
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first thought, and this was before I read a Q&A with Amsinck, was how much these tales reminded me of The Tales of the Unexpected (TV series from 1979 – 1988). A lot of the episodes were based on short stories written by Roald Dahl. The script writers often wrote endings or conclusions to the tales for the audience, whereas the stories they were based on were more inconclusive, open and mysterious. I grew up watching The Tales of the Unexpected, and much like the Hammer House of Horror an ...more
Marianne
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
The perfect run up to Hallowe'en next week, these short stories are best dipped into a few at a time. I found them eminently readable. Set around Copenhagen, they all shared the same feeling of inevitability and slight disorientation. Something is definitely not right in each of these scenarios. Its a feeling which seems to creep up on the central characters and adds to their creepy feel. The opening story and the one which gives the collection its name, Last Train to Helsingor, is a cracker. Wh ...more
Johanne
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This stunning collection of short stories was devoured over the course of a single evening. So much to love in here it is difficult to know where to start.
Many of these stories are about running away, abandoning a life that is not fulfilling. In the title story a man on a train finds himself given the opportunity to leave his dull life for one where there are no cares. In 'Detained' a busy business woman takes a chance and leaves the corporate grind behind.
Yet other stories tell of obsession lik
Fern Adams
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I started this not really expecting to enjoy it but needing to read a Nordic noir book to finish my 2018 book challenge. I was however proved wrong and ended up not being able to put it down until I got to the last page. The short stories are an equal mixture of suspense and bone chilling tales. Best read by torch or candle light for added effect!
S Beal
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully creepy short story collection set in Denmark. Really enjoyed these stories - sinister but also darkly humorous and full of fascinating characters. They are also the perfect length. Really looking forward to her next book.
Jeanette
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fantastic! The stories / chapters are a perfect length for a bit of bedtime reading. The author has created characters that stir up feelings of empathy and annoyance in almost equal measure. I was hoping that their naivety, greed, curiosity wouldn't get the better of them but alas...
Dedra
I listened to three of the stories (including the Last Train to Helsingor) on BBC Radio. I very much enjoyed the three I heard. Very creepy!

#popsugarreadingchallenge (prompt #5)
Alex
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Tales of the bleeding obvious! It's not so bad but don't expect any good twists.
Bettie☯