Start by marking “The Rabbit Skinners” as Want to Read:

The Rabbit Skinners

After FBI agent James Strait, hailed as a national hero for stopping a major terrorist attack, is devastated by a rare disease, he is forced into a life of disability. Until a child asks him to use his skills to find her missing friend.

Nine-year-old Jophia Williams vanishes on a lonely country road, leaving behind only a blood-soaked dress and a headless teddy bear.
Published December 28th 2017

To ask other readers questions about The Rabbit Skinners, please sign up.
John Eidswick Thank you for your question and so sorry for taking such a long time to answer it. I didn't see it on my page until now!

I have Meniere's Disease, and…more

I have Meniere's Disease, and the depictions of Strait's MD attacks are based on my own experiences with this condition.

The fictional town of Pine River, Arizona bears some similarity to the larger town of Flagstaff, Arizona, where I once lived.

The straight-talking, feisty character of the African-American pediatric nurse Katherine was drawn in part from a wonderful woman I used to work with when I was employed as a home worker for developmentally disabled people. We worked the night shift and spent many hours talking about everything.

The precocious, spirited, take-no-B.S. characters of Eliza and Jophia were inspired somewhat by my cousin Amelia when she was the same age.

Other than bits and pieces sprinkled throughout the book, all of the other experiences and conflicts related in the book were products of imagination, albeit informed by real-life phenomena (such as the recent resurgence of white supremacism in the U.S.). I've never been an FBI agent nor a forensic scientist but endeavored to create their lived experiences by studying real people in similar positions.
(less)

Start your review of The Rabbit Skinners
Melki
A former FBI agent returns to his hometown, and becomes embroiled in a missing child case.

This is an intriguing, well paced story, packed with possible suspects - many of whom are members of the police force. The book could have benefited from some tighter editing, but the premise was solid, and it was definitely a page-turner. The author's James Strait is an interesting character, and I could easily see this becoming a series.
Kathy
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected to like this after reading rave reviews on amazon, but this book was not enjoyable for me overall. I did like the beginning of it with the FBI stakeout that morphed into killing action and its aftermath. A team of three was on its third day of sitting in a van with no a/c keeping watch on a cult compound that was known to have stockpile of nerve gas in the Colorado Springs area. And yes, it starts with a bang, death and injury to agents.

A survivor of the action comes out of it with
Glen
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

Woke novel about a former FBI agent, who after the usual tragedy, now has Meniere's disease, along with tinnitus. He returns to his small hometown, and gets guilted into investigating a missing girl, finding the usual racist underground.
Ann-Marie
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Well written, but not my thing.

First, I received this book free in exchange for an honest review on Goodreads and Amazon Kindle.
I think the author, John Eidswick is a skilled writer. He is good at developing characters and their relationships to each other. His plot held together well, and I had no clue where it was going to end up.
I am just tired of the physically flawed hero, who managed to overcome his disability to defeat the bad guys trope. It doesn't resonate with me anymore.
Dee Cherry
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
First read by this author. James Strait was a true hero & it was good that he didn't give up. I found the title just as interesting as the content. There were difficult parts to read such as the child slavery scenes. Storyline held my attention for I wanted to see how this story would end. There were also modern day issues addressed.
amanda
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was a good book

I enjoyed this book because I could see something like this happening in real life or at least something very similar.
Jane L.
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Captivating

A fast-past, action-packed crime novel that keeps you captivated from start to finish. Solid moral lessons woven underneath the brilliant story that help you to learn without being obvious or preachy. A great read. I can’t believe I was able to buy a book this good for so cheap.
Rebecca
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I was surprised by how much I liked this one. Very suspenseful with an interesting premise. I will definitely seek out more of Eidswick's work in future.
Joel Dennstedt
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- Joel R. Dennstedt for Readers' Favorite

The Rabbit Skinners by John Eidswick is fully comparable and sometimes superior to any Jack Reacher or Lucas Davenport novel on the market. Such comparison is meant to convey just how good this book is. Besides the meticulously satisfying plot (more on that later,) this deftly-paced mystery thriller checks every box included in the mythical Writer’s Guide to Writing. Namely, dialogue is pitched so finely-tuned, one actually hears the characters speaking;
Sheri
Jan 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Dynah Zale
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Comparable to a James Patterson Book

First off I would like to say that I am an African American woman and this book was a fresh take on the realities in America. It was cleverly written and gave surprises throughout the book.

This deserves to hit the New York Time Bestsellers List. I don’t give 5 star books often but this book deserves its due.

I encourage the author to continue developing his craft.everyone is not meant to tell stories but I believe he is and will probably be one of the best in
Elysa
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A rogue dynamic duo..

Well now..Strait & Graham are quite the pair. Never envisioned FBI agents like these two.
This story has the best and the worst of mankind laid out in excruciating detail. Horribly believable and relatable. It only took me two sittings to finish this...and despite all the muck I was able to laugh out loud at several passages. Well developed fast paced tale that left me looking forward to more adventures with these guys. Good one!
Sharon
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, giveaways-won
Rabbit Skinners is one of the best books I have read in awhile, a recommended 4.5 star read. The story maintained my interest throughout, provided both a suspenseful and emotional journey and was brought to a satisfying closure that was neither abrupt or with unresolved issues.

Well done.

My thanks to goodreads and the giveaway sponsors for the opportunity to win and read this book.
Meron Yohannes
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pros: I learned about a disease I have never heard of and the description of the disease was well done throughout the book. I enjoyed reading Jophia's perspective.

Cons: White savior novel. Felt like the author wanted to be James Strait in another life. Did not like the description of certain minority characters. Poor copy editing.
Sally
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Rabbit Skinners

Wow! Well, this book was just totally amazing! It takes you on a journey of modern day prejudices in a way you least expect! I wanted to cry, not true, I did cry! There were character's O definitely wanted to hit! I suppose I am not giving away the story line at all. Just saying worth every minute you read and you will want to rate it higher than a 5 star believe me!
Julie Barker
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down

Read it over the weekend and got nothing else done. Had watched a movie with actor Michael Shannon in it and he became James Strait in my mind. If ever this is made into a movie, he should definitely play the lead. Read it. You'll be hooked after the first chapter.
Christine
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the way the author grabs your attention from the first page on. I had a hard time not staying awake till 2am reading! Beautifully done job on introducing characters and giving the reader the ability to connect with them!
Toni Wittus
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved all books written by John Eidswick especially this book. This book hooked me from page one up until the end. Highly recommend!
Andrea Strickland
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Page turner

I am an avid reader and love a strong lead character. Strait, on leave FBI, did not disappoint. I look forward to his next adventure.
Amy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced, suspenseful and interesting! I can see this becoming a movie. You felt like you were in this town experiencing the fear of a missing child. It was easy to detest the bad characters and fall in love with the passionate strong women and kids.

Andy Mosier
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The damn near best book I ever read.
Joan
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting and emotional read. Hard to put down- just wanted to keep reading. Very thought provoking. Highly recommended
Cath
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This turned out to be a very interesting book to read. It starts with events leading to FBI agent James Strait being injured and being forced out of the job he loves through injury and permanent disability. He is supposed to be on leave to recover from his injuries, whilst his claim is being processed, and decides to go back to the small town where he was brought up, Pine River.

He is recognised by many for his heroic deeds in saving thousands from a terrorist plot. One little girl, Eliza, asks
Barbara Lee Wood
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
AN EVIL WIND ONLY BLOWS ONE WAY...HAVE FAITH

Everyone should read this book. It's parents who won't give up against insurmountable situations. It's about how cruel people are toward Afro-Americans and Native Americans, how person are deprived their rights by the legal systems. How money put in the right hands can ultimately end their lives. Children kidnapped and how the law puts everything on the backburner. Mega-companies who promise jobs and low cost housing to the town. It's where everyone
Mary Calloway
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good

It was very close to reality, I could see things like this happens, also I know that there are people in the world today that are just like the ones in the book.
Janet R. Hymon
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book was a very interesting read. I had to make myself put the book down.

The book is a good read, kept me wanting to read until I got to the. I would recommend it to my family and friends

Brenda Hymes
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book

Thank you GoodReads for giving me a copy of this book for a fair review.
I really enjoyed this story and the characters in it. James Strait is an American hero who was injured in a raid and goes to his hometown to recuperate. He runs across a child kidnapping ring and, with no official help from his old FBI department, he goes about investigating the case.
The book is action packed and I did not want to stop reading. I’m hoping there will be more Janes Strait sagas to come.
Kristina Trawick
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thriller

The kidnapping of a child in his home town sends a convalescent FBI agent on a search for the truth. Poor police work, a white supremacy group and a one eyed Navajo man all figure into the mix, making for an exciting story of heroism and evil. Great read.
Patricia Monis
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First book by this author, but I look forward to reading more. The story kept me wanting to turn pages and learn what else what happening. Very interesting concept.
Marilyn Lazarus
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and had a difficult time putting it down. I took it with me everywhere just in case I had time to read it. I enjoyed the characters. Strait and Footer were like a Watson and Holmes. I agree with others that it is inconceivable that this sort of practice of kidnapping children and keeping them for slave labor can exist today but, unfortunately, entirely believable. I enjoyed some of the twists in the book. I think the ending was predictable but still a thrilling ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• I maktens skugga (Sandhamn, #7)
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • The Man in the Meth Lab (Joe Court Book 4)
  • Never Ever (Eva Rae Thomas Mystery #3)
  • The Inside Man (Levi Yoder #2)
  • Never Be Alone
  • When Smiles Fade
  • We Can't Be Broken
  • Don't Tell (Jack Ryder #7)
  • Tracker: A Fox Walker Novel
  • The Warden's Son
  • The Only Blue Door
  • Dove Season (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #1)
  • The Road She Left Behind
  • Dying To Tell
  • Avenging Angels: Vengeance Trail
  • Missouri Loves Company (Rip Lane, #1)
  • The Pain Colony
I live with my wonderful wife and son in Japan. I have published two novels. The Language of Bears is a somewhat bizarre seriocomic historical fantasy in which New England Puritans, witchcraft, and talking animals figure prominently. The Rabbit Skinners is a mystery/suspense about a Herculean FBI agent who, after his life falls apart because of a rare disease, struggles against overwhelming odds ...more