Start by marking “The Me I Meant to Be” as Want to Read:
The Me I Meant to Be

The Me I Meant to Be

Best friends Willa and Flor have every intention of sticking to their girl code—but some rules are meant to be broken in this contemporary romance about finding yourself and following your heart.
Expected publication: January 1st 2019 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Me I Meant to Be, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Me I Meant to Be

Stacee
I requested this one so long ago and now that it’s time to read it, I’m not sure why I wanted to read it.

Willa and Flor were not the best MCs for me. There was a lot of potential, but I didn’t care for either of their inner monologues and struggled to care for their story line. I didn’t quite see why they were friends. As for the boys, they were sort of lackluster.

Plot wise, it was fairly dramatic. There are a lot of things going on and some issues felt glossed over {like the sister clearly be
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

Oh! Matters of the heart can be so complicated, especially when your heart is being torn in two. Willa's two best friends had dated, unsuccessfully, and though, in her mind, she knew she shouldn't want more with Zach, her heart wouldn't listen.

• Pro: This story kept me in its clutches! I had to keep reading, because I was just too invested in the outcome to stop.

• Pro: Jordan created some amazing chemistry between Flor & Grayson and Willa & Zach. There was no doubt in m
Jen Ryland
This is not as engaging as I hoped but I am going to press on for the good of my GR 2018 goal....

UPDATE: Finally finished this. It had some good aspects but others I wasn't so crazy about. I liked Flor's story a lot - all the drama and tension was in her parts of the story. Willa and Zach were sort of blah (I was more interested in Willa's sister) and I didn't get Zach's appeal at all.

This story was supposed to be about female friendship and "the girl code" but since most of the book is about ea
Trianna
This book was fun and cute to read. It is told in dual POV between two best friends, but I really preferred Flor's plot line. I liked Willa's family plot line, but her romantic one was annoying. I am not a huge fan the trope of best friends liking/dating the same guy and that is what Willa's plot revolves around. It was strange to me that Willa and Flor rarely hung out, for two people who are best friends it seemed odd. The ending felt off to me and is wrapped up in an odd way.

But, it was a cut
♡Julalicious Book Paradise♡
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, ebooks-i-own
review closer to the release date.
nick

3.5/5

The friendship wasn't really well explored here, but the book was still super readable. I did feel like some storylines didn't have much of a conclusion.
Debbie Gilvin
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved reading this book. it was a page Turner for sure, and I just fell in love with the characters, I'm really hoping for a sequel. if you like romance and a little bit of drama you should pick it up.
Ivy Valentiny
(3.5-3.75)
Fans of Jenny Han and Maurene Goo this is a novel for you. Romance, friendship, and family are all major aspects of this story. Nicely pieced together.
Raquel
Isabel
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I’ve read by this author, and was drawn in by Sophie B Jordan’s ability to make the reader feel the sexual tension and chemistry between characters. She writes some really steamy scenes!

This book is about love and friendship and the complications that can arise when trying to abide by “girl code.” You will feel invested in both main characters, rooting for them as they stumble through life.
Ginger at GReadsBooks.com
A little too much inside the character’s heads & not enough action between the characters. I wanted more, but overall it was a sweet story about friendship & how that can change when the drama of teenage life affects it.
Brooke
It’s a rule of the girl code that doesn’t even need to be spoken - that you never date your best friend’s ex. He’s off limits - don’t look at him, don’t think about him, and certainly don’t ever kiss him. So why does Willa find herself inexplicably drawn to Zach, who is not only her next door neighbor and friend, but also her best friend Flora’s newly minted ex. And why, when he kisses her, does she not pull away?

Flora has enough on her plate, which may be why she doesn’t notice that Willa is a
Kelli Spear
I received this as an eARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Told from alternate perspectives of Willa and Flor, these two are going to have to navigate their way through girl code, when the love of a boy comes into question. Willa has always lived next door to the extremely handsome and popular Zach. She never thought she could ever be in his league, so she just let her crush stay a crush and helped her best friend, Flor, date him. Now that Zach and Flor have broken up, Flor is tr
Makenna Fournier
I definitely have mixed feelings on this book.
On the positive side, this was a really fast paced book, it was very easy to fly through, and there were some things that I really liked, like how Willa stood up against slut shaming and the double standard that girls have for being interested in sex, I 100% am here for that.
On the both positive and negative side was the dual point of view. What I was surprised by was the fact that I actually enjoyed both of them, which usually is not the case fo
Bethany
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is one of my favorite YA contemporary novels I have read recently! The Me I Meant to Be is a fun, fast-paced book about love, friendship, complex family dynamics, and highschool drama. And it has a couple of quite steamy makeout scenes!

Willa has secretly been in love with her next-door neighbor Zach forever. But he's out of her league and now that he's also her best friends ex, definitely off limits. She didn't mean to break "Girl Code" but things happen. She's also dealing with her
Jessica
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC! I am a sucker for these kinds of stories. I liked the characters and the split between the two narrators that showed their unique stories and how they also came together. I also really just liked Zach and Willa. I cannot say this book was perfect, though. I do not think the graphic make-out was necessary, and I think there is a lot of teenage annoyance in here, but I felt like they were pretty realistic overall. I can see teens liking this one. I did not like how ...more
Billie
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This needed a lot more pages to reach truly satisfying conclusions for all the character relationships. Dana was not very kind or loving toward Flor and was obviously manipulating Flor's dad, but one brief conversation and Flor thinks Dana's not so bad? Willa's sister Chloe has serious issues (depression and possibly addiction), but she has one conversation with Willa and makes one trip to the grocery store and now everything's going to be okay? I'm not sure if this book was supposed to be about ...more
Meghan
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book should be on every shelf of libraries, homes, and community places for every teenage girl about how to care for those whom you love. The dating life is something every teenage girl in some way, shape or form worries about for most of their high school career. I also fell in love with the theme of thi
Karen
Gotta love a book that includes references to Houston Dynamo soccer, Whataburger, and Ritters Frozen Yogurt! I was curious about a realistic fiction, young adult book by Jordan after reading her middle grades fantasy novels and verrrry adult romances, so I was glad to pick this one up. It was definitely a can't-put-it-down book! Characterization was lop-sided--one of the two female leads (and her situation) felt much more well-rounded than the other. Jordan captures the exquisite tangle of young ...more
Sprinkled Pages
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

I literally finished this book in one sitting, it was sooo addictive!

The premise of this sounded super interesting and I have really been in a fun and easy-to-read contemporary mood so this was a perfect book for what I needed.

However, I wasn't really wowed by it! It wasn't super special, it was quite cliche and I think the romance between Willia and Zach wasn't well developed at all! They really didn't have much chemistry and I can't say that I was swooning over Zach - s
Lindsey Collins
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Willa and Flor are two best friends in high school dealing with family drama, boy drama, and how to be the best friend possible and still be happy drama. Willa has secretly been in love with her best friend/boy next door for years, but when her bestie makes a move on him first she tries to support them. When Zach dumps Flor and she is heartbroken Willa tries to get them back together, since she knows she can't go after her bestie's ex.

Flor's home life doesn't feel very homey and when National M
Jolene
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I was afraid this was going to be too cutesy and childish but I was wrong. Yes, there was teenage angst and drama but it was written realistically. There were a couple steamy make out scenes so this should be for older teens. I liked the two different points of view and the way stereotypes were broken in this story. Also, there were a couple scenes where the girls told the boys off about no meaning no which I whole heartedly agree with being in a book for teens.
Shoshana G
The Willa/Zach plot was very relatable and sympathetic. However, I found the Flor/Grayson stuff a little silly. His secret identity was ridiculous. Plus, Dana's villainy was over the top and the attempt near the end to rehabilitate her a little was too little too late. This was fine. I probably would've enjoyed it in middle school or early high school. There just wasn't much there.

I read an e-ARC through NetGalley.
Kat
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc, teen-card
I loved this book. A 'girl code", family, friends, drama this book has a little of everything for young adults. Sophie B. Jordan is a great writer in that way. She incorporates her twists into the plot seamlessly and you don't really feel like they are a "twist". I really enjoyed this book, I think that it's a great reflection of the social situations young people experience today. A definate must read!
Becky
Willa Evans knows that you can't date your friend's ex but what it the ex was her friend first? Willa's best friend, Flor, dated Willa neighbor and unrequited crush, Jack, for three month before he broke up with her and now Willa has to do whatever it takes to stay away from her now available crush. Flor wants Jack back but her love life is getting complicated with the sudden appearance of her new tutor, Grayson.

"The Me I Meant to Be" feels very similar to other YA romances. However, Willa's sto
Amanda Sanders
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't like chick flicks. When the first chapter began with Girl Code #1 I was worried this book wasn't for me, but I was wrong. It's fantastic. It's funny and fun. I loved it when the author described a bus ride as the seventh circle of hell--so true. There are 2 characters telling the story. Willa is the geeky one and Flor is the soccer player. The author does a good job with keeping their personalities real. I gave up on a series I loved once when the author messed up a soccer analogy so I a ...more
Ogreart
Flor and Willa are best friends. Willa and Zach are best friends. Zach and Flor had been couple but were now broken up. Willa has been in love with Zach, her next door neighbor, since they were kids, but now that he and Flor were broken up, the Girl Code kicked in: you don’t date your friend’s ex.

The narration switches between Flor and Willa chapter by chapter, starting with Willa. The two points of view create an interesting dynamic. The readers get to see the story in a more rounded way with t
Alison Paulette
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merge Two Books 2 14 Apr 08, 2018 06:54AM
Pseudonym:
Sharie Kohler

Sophie Jordan took her adolescent daydreaming one step further and penned her first historical romance in the back of her high school Spanish class. This passion led her to pursue a degree in English and History.

A brief stint in law school taught her that case law was not nearly as interesting as literature - teaching English seemed the natural recourse. After several years