Start by marking “My Mother the Liar” as Want to Read:
My Mother the Liar

My Mother the Liar

Every family has its secrets…

From the author of The Lost Child, and The Forgotten Room. Perfect for fans of The Secret Mother and Linda Green.

Two dead bodies. A lifetime of secrets.

When Rachel Porter’s estranged mother dies, she returns to her family home filled with dread about having to face her past, and the people who populated it.

Little does she know that there are de
Published February 12th 2018 by HQ Digital

To ask other readers questions about My Mother the Liar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Mother the Liar

Start your review of My Mother the Liar
Kylie D
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rachel Porter has been called back to her hometown after her mothers death and in the process of cleaning the old house out finds the mummified remains of a baby in a closet. Another body is soon found on another part of the estate and the ensuing tale of lies, jealousy and revenge ensures you don't want to put this book down.

I read this book in one sitting as I kept having to turn the pages to find out if anyone was telling the truth in this tangled mess. Every now and then I'd stop and try to
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'So Roy got killed and stuffed in a box in the shed. What about the other one, Rachel? Has your family found an even more effective way of disposing of their unwanted children? Rather than just abandon them without a word, kill them off and hide the bodies? Gruesome but efficient I must say. '

THE BLURB: Every family has its secrets…

Two dead bodies. A lifetime of secrets.

When
Carrie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My Mother the Liar is the second book I’ve read by Ann Troup and unfortunately for me instead of an improvement in the positives I had for the first book this one seemed more towards my negatives. The story is a bit of a family drama with a bit of murder thrown into the mix that was only slightly suspenseful to me.

The book starts out following Rachel who has been estranged from her family for years but when her mother passes her sister summons her back to the family home. The sister had been hav
Debra
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Kendall
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
I had a really really hard time following this one. There were a lot of characters with too many issues and it was super hard for me to keep track of everyone. I felt like I was getting whiplash trying to keep up!

Unfortunately, it didn't feel like a story unfolding naturally and it just felt so rushed to me. Just wayyyyy too much going on and not in a good way at all. And honestly, I'm tired of the same story about lies and who trusts whom etc etc. I've heard some great things about this author
BAM Endlessly Booked
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Netgalley #17

Many thanks go to Ann Troup, HQ Digital, and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

this book turned me inside out!
I’m still processing all of the twists and turns. Troup did a superp job of connecting the dots while constantly thrown repeated spanners in the works.i have no idea how she kept it all straight in her head.
The story introduces us to three sisters: Frances, Stella, and Rachel. Valerie, their mother, has died, and they have to gut
Kim
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
This is a story of a completely dysfuntional family.
Rachel left her family home many years ago and lost touch with everyone. When her estranged mother dies, one of her sisters calls her home to deal with the estate.
The house is hiding secrets and bodies are found whilst they finish clearing the house. You are left to wonder just who knew what was happening and who might be responsible and whether the seemingly more normal characters might be just as depraved as all the others.
The horrific child
Gemma
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Netgalley for the advance copy of My Mother,The Liar! This is the first book I’ve read in 2018, I read quite quickly as it’s one of those stories that draw you in and you need to know what it’s all about. It centres around a family, a very odd family in my opinion! The mum dies and the sisters come back to sort out the family Home etc. But clearing the house, secrets come out and we read he story (or stories) of all of different family members. Very very twisty, and you cannot guess wh ...more
Tracy Fenton
Unfortunately nowadays it doesn’t take much to confuse me so I’ve no doubt this is all me and not the book. That said, I struggled with all the characters, got confused with all the back stories and secrets and finally gave up at 55%.

I did try, but unfortunately it just wasn’t a book for me right now. Perhaps I will try again in the future.

I won’t rate the book purely because I didn’t finish it.
Sam
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Badly executed, could have been a fantastic read.
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
My Mother The Liar is a mixture of domestic noir and murder/mystery.

The story starts off with the shocking discovery of two bodies. This opens a whole can of worms for Rachel Porter and her estranged family.

Rachel hasn't spoken to any of her family for nigh on twenty years. Going back home certainly opens some old wounds. It is obvious from the start that this family has a lot of secrets and family life at The Limes was not a happy one.

I enjoyed the mixture of finding out more about the family a
Melissa
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I did find the book to be a good thriller and I couldn’t put it down. I had to keep reading until I found out what was going on. And it was one surprise after another.

However, I found the paragraph structure to be confusing at times. Sometimes the breaks between the characters wasn’t clear enough and I had to go back to re-read. Also, there’s numerous mistakes throughout the book (where the word was broken up, eg. g one
Fictionophile
They weren't kidding when they said a "lifetime of secrets".  The family in this novel puts the 'Dys' is the word dysfunctional.

"a family of felons and sycophants"

There are more damaged characters in this novel than any other I've ever read. A mother and three sisters who had no love for each other, or, it would seem, anyone else. The family retainer, housekeeper Delia Porter, was also an enigmatic woman. The reader wonders why she worked there for so many years...

Rachel Porter, an epileptic, wa
Karen Mace
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the way the author captures the dysfunctional family element so well in her books, and this story is another one of those that is full of family secrets and feuds, lots of characters to distrust and twists and turns galore to keep you turning those pages until the end!

Rachel is returning home after the death her mother. She doesn't want to be there, and even missed the funeral, as there was very little in the way of 'love' between them, but she is needed for filling in some forms and on h
Inn Auni
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great story that touched on a dynamic of a dysfunctional family. At one time I felt sorry for them. At another, I was annoyed. I also like that some minor character got a little story for them even though not enough to identify them other than a passing through character.

After three books, I'm convinced that Troup is capable of giving readers twist after twist and some of the twist were just red herring to misled readers from the real outcome. And she added characters in the last minutes just
Leonie Hinch
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and Ann Troup for my ARC of The fantastic thriller; My Mother the Liar.
I'm sat here taking a few deep breathes now, I've sped through this book because it was literally such a page turner! I couldn't put it down. It is creepy, thrilling and exciting from start to finish!
Rachel returns back to her childhood home after the death of her mother, she's doesn't want to go, having had no contact with her family since they fell out decades ago. She plunges into he
Jantine
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free book through Netgalley, in return for an honest review.

The story has a good amount of creepy, combined with personal characters. It certainly is worth reading.

It would have even been way better if it was written less 'telling'. TBH I was a little disappointed about that, since I loved another book of Troup, also for it's writing style.
Julie Lacey
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read and had me hooked from the first few chapters.
Rachel is asked by her sister to go back home to clear the family house after their mother dies. It’s clear that Rachel despised her mother but her sister gives her no choice in the matter.
While clearing the bedroom Rachel finds the body of a baby, then hears screams and shouts from outside, where a man’s body has been found in a shed.
The Police start their investigations and it’s soon clear that this family had countless secr
Elaine
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
I found this a really confusing read. The first chapter sets the scene brilliantly but then it gets somewhat convoluted and I had to keep checking back and re-reading to make sure I'd really understood who/what/where/how events interrelated. This actually made it hard going and I ended up not finishing it twice. I've kept it on my kindle and will try again in case it was just me who was in the wrong frame of mind to enjoy escaping into this disturbing story! I think it will be one of those stori ...more
Sofie Hern
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received this ARC via NetGalley. The summary of this book is vague –Every family has a secret…
A chilling thriller to read with the lights on. Needless to say, it intrigued me which then caused me to request this ARC. I am a big fan f thrillers and suspense. This book had a bit of everything.

The story follows Rachel, Frances and Stella. Three sisters dealing with resentment towards their diseased mother, Valerie. From the beginning of the book you can feel the tension between the sisters and i
Lisa Morin
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
My Mother the Liar is a thriller that left me more than pleased that my own family isn't quite so creepy.

When their mom dies, sisters return to their family home to sort out the meager belongings that are left.
Rachel is one sister, Stella is another and Francis is the other. They are all dysfunctional, brought on by their mother, who surely takes the cake for worse mom ever.
This book is filled with incestuous behaviors, lies, humiliation and a mother who wants to rule and ruin her children.
The c
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I don't even know where to begin with this review! There is so much of the storyline which I could comment on, but due to the fact I may end dropping a spoiler, I am having to contain myself!

Let me just get this out of the way first - I struggled with the first part of the story. Yes there was a lot of 'dundundun' moments, but it seemed to take a little while for the storyline to actually go anywhere with the informati
Ashley Gillan
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Take a moment to think of the most screwed up family you can imagine - real or fictional. Now multiply that times 10. That is who the Porters - the stars of this novel - are.

And it was deliciously entertaining.

As I said, the novel revolves around a screwed-up family, the latest generation of which is made up of three sisters, Frances, Stella and Rachel. Rachel hasn't seen her family for nearly 20 years, but is summoned to return to the family home when her mother dies. But once there, bodies beg
Christina McDonald
An intriguing book with a solid premise focusing on family secrets and lies and set around a past murder. It begins with Rachel, who is estranged from her family, returning home when her mother dies and her sister asks her to help clean out the house. While doing that, they find two bodies.

You really have to suspend your disbelief on this one, and I did have a hard time following it in places, as there were a lot of characters to keep track of. But it's a fun story to read with lots of twists to
Nessa
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Having enjoyed Ann's previous book, I was very keen to read this, her new one.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the book but come the second half of the book, I have to be honest and say that I got a bit overwhelmed by all of the characters, their links to each other and each of their individual backing stories. I got a little bit lost and did have to reread parts of the story. There was just so much happening, from past events to present events, it's a lot to take in and keep track of esp
Peggy Jaeger
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Porter hasn't been home in almost 2 decades. She left behind a dysfunctional family and more buried secrets than even she knew about. Then her estranged mother dies and she's called back to her childhood home by an older sister who despises her. From the moment Rachel walks back into the house she vowed never to see again a series of events begins that threaten the tenuous hold she has on her sanity and her health.
The Porter family puts the dysfunction in the term dysfunctional. Three sis
Jeanne
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I found the overall story to be good but I didn't feel the author presented it in a manner that kept me intrigued. I found it difficult to really care about any of the characters. I probably would not have finished the story had I not felt obligated to do so. I just felt like the story plodded along. It didn't feel to me as though there was any suspense. Yes there were questions and a mystery but nothing compelled me to continue reading. There was a build up in action at a few points but I felt ...more
Vivien Brown
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
A horribly dysfunctional family with so many secrets. There were lots of twists and turns but the story is very joyless. A little light among the shade would have lifted it. Perhaps a bit too much explaining in the last few pages. I did like Rachel but oh boy what a lot of pain and angst the author put her through!
Greta Halliday
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was quite confused during parts of this book. Moments of not liking it and then I did. I found the story quite confusing and had to re-read a few times to get things clear. Overall though it was a really good thriller and well worth a read.
Sarah Davies
Jan 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Good start to the storyline and great to see the family relationship evolve through the book.

Good concept though the story did feel lacking and slightly predictable.

Doesn't feel as if this will be a memorable read.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Man Behind Closed Doors: The other side of domestic bliss
  • Watch Her Die
  • The Liar's Girl
  • His Wife's Sister
  • Paper Girls (DCI Kett, #1)
  • You Let Me In
She lives by the sea in Devon with her husband and said dog. Two children have been known to remember the house which they call home, but mainly when they are in need of a decent roast dinner, it’s Christmas or when only Mum will do. In a former incarnation she was psychiatric nurse, an experience that frequently informs her writing and which supplies a never-ending source of inspiration. You can ...more