Start by marking “The Old You” as Want to Read:
The Old You

The Old You

Nail-bitingly modern domestic noir
A tense, Hitchcockian psychological thriller
Louise Voss returns with her darkest, most chilling, novel yet...

Lynn Naismith gave up the job she loved when she married Ed, the love of her life, but it was worth it for the happy years they enjoyed together. Now, ten years on, Ed has been diagnosed with early-onset dementia, and things start
Published May 15th 2018 by Orenda books

To ask other readers questions about The Old You, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Margaret Houston
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Old You
Debra
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up

Just how well do you know your spouse?

Lynn and Ed have been married for ten years and things seem to be going great for them until Ed is diagnosed with early onset dementia. It is not long before Ed starts missing words, strange noises are heard in the night, and Ed becomes secretive and his demeanor begins to change. But the synopsis teases the reader - just who is having their mind play tricks on them?

Soon the reader begins to learn that there is more to this story and the
Felicia
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever driven on the famous Lombard Street in San Francisco? This book is the literary version of that street.
(Google it if you're unfamiliar)

This is one clever and twisty story with a refreshingly unique plot.

From the get-go you know something is off and all is not what it seems and Louise Voss doesn't even try to hide it. This choice by the author is what made this story so gripping for me. A sense of dread enveloped me immediately in the first chapter and omg was it ever deliciously
Michelle
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, hoopla
Lynn and Ed have been married for nearly a decade so the news is devastating when they find out that Ed has been diagnosed with early on set dementia. It starts with a misuse of words, putting things in strange locations, but as his dementia progresses his behavior grows to be far more sinister.

This book was such a wonderful surprise for me. I thought the dementia aspect worked really well here. When you love someone and a diagnosis such as this arises you don't just walk away no matter how
Liz
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it

3.5 stars, rounded up

A GoodReads friend had posted a review of this book and it just called out to me. Luckily, it was a Read Now and I was able to snatch it up.

Like the main character, Im married to a man much older than me and he is starting to have some memory issues. So, I immediately bonded with Lynn. The book is written in first person, which was the perfect narrative style for this type of book. I literally had to keep reminding myself that Lynn was not a real person.

But Ed has more
Nazanin
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, mystery, thriller
3.5 Stars

Some-bodys watching youuuu.
Some-bodys watching youuuu.
Some BODY is WATCHING you.

Ed and Lynn are married for ten years. They are so happy. Ten years ago, Lynn left the job she loved so she could marry Ed. But now doctors diagnosed Ed with some form of dementia and after that everything changed Strange things happened

Things more sinister than missing keys and lost words. As some memories are forgotten, others, long buried, begin to surface... and Lynn's perfect world begins to crumble.
Jayme
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounding up to 4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐s

I think its best to not share much more than what is shared in the synopsis..

Lynn loved her job, but after realizing that her affair with her married boss, will not lead to the marriage and children she covets, she asks to transfer to a new city...seeking a fresh start.

She meets Ed, in a most unorthodox way, and has been happily married for ten years....until he is diagnosed with Picks disease, a form of early onset dementia. Ed is losing more than his ability to use the
Liz Barnsley
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this one in its very early stages and it was excellent then, now reading the end result it is indeed even more excellent. It was lovely to start 2018 off with a 5* read what I call proper domestic noir here, which is to say it is not a recycled plot, it has a unique vibe that makes it stand out and also a truly twisty yet believable tale with darkly engaging characters and a cleverly woven atmospheric narrative. Now all this time later I can tell you more about it.

Amy
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
It should come as no surprise to me that once again, Orenda has published a book that is unlike anything Ive ever read before, but this book was chock full of surprises and even better than I could have imagined. The Old You was my first Louise Voss book, I had no idea what to expect but the brief synopsis grabbed my attention instantly. Dementia is a horrible disease, Ive seen its effects firsthand and its devastating and totally frightening. Imagine being worried sick about your spouse after ...more
Jan
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
This was a fun read!

I certainly wouldn't label this a 'nail-biter' as the publisher did, but there are some sneaky little surprises to this domestic thriller.

What made this fun to read was in the execution.

First comes from the build up: providing the reader with a very shaky foundation of what's to come, as the information being provided is highly unreliable.

Second comes from the characters....who can you trust?

Last comes from the expert way the author slowly and expertly reveals the truth. I
ʚϊɞ Shelley's ʚϊɞ Book Nook
Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practise to deceive.
The Old You is a dark novel which exemplifies how easy it is to make bad decisions that you can never take back. The characters had depth and the insight needed to really understand their actions. The novel is quite a page turner. Every time you think you know where the plot is going something changes and you need to rethink the entire story. Enjoyable and makes you heart race at times.

We all know that one dimensional characters
Karen
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow. What did I just read? Ive been aware of books by Louise Voss, Ive even bought one or two, but this is the first that Ive actually read. If the other ones are as well written and gripping as this then I have seriously been missing out.

Im going to make this review quite short as I really dont want to give anything away about the story which could spoil it for someone else. The domestic noir element has been taken to another level by Voss clever and original plotting. Excellent
Tracy Fenton
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
 If you ever wanted to know what "domestic noir" was then you need to read The Old You.  This is a proper creepy, clever and carefully plotted story which grabbed me from the first page and when I forgot to feed the kids and walk the dog, I knew I was going to give this book 5 big stars.

I have read several of Louise's books with Mark Edwards and also her first solo book The Venus Trap, but in my opinion The Old You is possibly her best work so far.

The Old You starts with Lynn and her slightly
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
You ever run into those books that just creep up on you? It's that slow burn that sets the tone of the entire story and then continually surprises you as it increases in pace and turns you on your axis. This is one of those books. The kind that proves you don't need that throat punch of a twisty read to still be an outstanding psychological thriller. That sneaks up on you right up until the very end.

"SOMEBODY'S WATCHING YOUUUUUUU"

I'm finding myself surprised that Voss hasn't been on my radar
Mandy White
I was so looking forward to reading this one and I was really disappointed. It started well but then went off on a totally far fetched tangent and it lost me. I wanted to love it but... oh well... can't love them all!
Eva
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, hello, Louise Voss! Let me apologise. I have no earthly idea how you managed to evade my radar all these years but I promise that I now firmly have my eye on you and will not lose sight of you again. I dont mean that to sound as creepy as it does.

Every once in a while, a humdinger of a psychological thriller finds its way into my hands and completely restores my faith in this slightly oversaturated genre. The Old You is that humdinger, people. Throw everything you think you know about
Bedelia
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 00-12-tbr-dec18
Fan-freakin-tastic!! Finished in one day! Loved it!
Sue
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This noir-ish book, set in Wolsey, near Hampton Court in present day England, involves an unusual set of people who have been flung together in strange ways over the past decade. Lynn Jackson is married to a retired doctor, Ed Naismith, whose first wife disappeared mysteriously. She was presumed a suicide until a drifter confessed to her killing. Lynn met Ed about a year later, gradually fell head over heels for him and the rest is history well sort of.

The entire novel is narrated by Lynn and
Linda Strong
Lynn and Ed have been married for several years. Unfortunately Ed starts showing signs of dementia .. no surprise since his own father had died with dementia.

Things start happening, much to Lynn's chagrin. Ed forgets words .... keys go missing ... memories forgotten. But other memories begin to surface. Their perfect world begins to disintegrate.

Ed's first wife disappeared and was never seen again. Something Ed says makes Lynn suspect that he killed her and hid her body.

But Lynn knew this before
The Book Review Café
Review to follow
Joanne Robertson
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved the books written by Louise Voss with fellow author Mark Edwards and I also adored her last standalone solo book The Venus Trap BUT.The Old You is something very special indeed and definitely the pinnacle of her writing career so far! Now as most of you know Im a super speedy reader but not with this book it took me a WHOLE WEEK! And its not because I couldnt get into it! No, its because I wanted to savour every word and I was thoroughly enjoying the slow and steady unfurling of ...more
Bandit
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another estrogen driven thriller, with much praise to its name. And for my money entirely undeserved. In fact paying money for this would have been very upsetting. So many thanks Netgalley, where your reading pleasureor disappointmentare always free. Meet Lynn. Lynn has the worst taste in men, something shes too oblivious (or stupid, also a very strong possibility) to notice until somewhere like 4/5th of the way into the novel. Lynn is happily married or she was until her dearly beloveds memory ...more
Debi Hawkes
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
"Such appalling judgement when it came to choosing lovers" Epilogue

Ya think?

I was attracted to this book due to the dementia plot line. I thought that could really be an interesting twist for a psychological thriller. That worked until it all just got ridiculous, too many contrivances, the whole thing ended up not working for me.

Probably didn't help that I really disliked all the primary characters, it's nice to have someone to root for, lol!

I received an ARC from NetGalley, publisher Orenda
Jean
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It was hard for me to get into this book since I really disliked the main character, Lynn. The story was slow paced but the author threw in some twists to make me want to read to the end.

Thank you to NetGalley and Trafalgar Square Publishing for a copy of Louise Voss' "The Old You" in exchange of an honest review.
Kelli Wilson
May 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Just a bit ok, with a side of meh
Jacob Collins
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All of my reviews can be found at: https://hookedfrompageoneblog.wordpre...

The Old You is a very different psychological thriller; it is the first book by Louise Voss which I have read and she has jumped onto my list of must-read authors.

The novel opens as Ed Naismith is diagnosed with Picks disease, which is a rare form of progressive dementia. His father also suffered from the illness. Ed and his wife, Lynn are devastated by the news. But as they begin to adapt to the new situation they find
Julia
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Did someone say Hitchcockian? Hellooo! I am there! The Old You is a great psychological mystery thriller and has so many twists and turns I felt like I was reading it on a Merry-Go-Round.

The story starts at a deceptively sedate pace albeit an emotional one but pretty quickly there are some curve balls thrown straight at your face and before too long the first twist is gonna have you like 😮 !

From then on all bets are off and I had no clue where the middle of the story was headed at all. You do
Lisa Aiello
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I thoroughly enjoyed this thriller? mystery? domestic noir? I'm not sure what to label it. Lynn Naismith's husband, Ed is diagnosed with early onset Pick's Disease (a form of dementia). This is the same disease that destroyed his father. Lynn is left to watch helplessly and pick up the pieces as Ed quickly declines. But we soon learn that there is quite the backstory, nothing is as it seems, and both Ed and Lynn have a few secrets. Ed's first wife disappeared and is thought to be dead. In fact, ...more
Stephanie
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Old You is the first book that I have read by Louise Voss that she has written on her own.
It was a book that left me in awe and lost for words. At the end of chapter one I had decided that I disliked one of the characters. But I was far too quick to judge, things were not as they seemed. As I read more I found that this was a book that completely messed with the readers head and I had either underestimated most of the characters in it or been duped. My thoughts and feelings changed
Jan
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant review to follow as part of blog tour.
Karen Mace
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a enthralling and dark thriller! My mind was seriously messed with throughout!!

Lynn and Ed are married and 10 years down the line, Ed gets diagnosed with early onset dementia, and sinister things begin to happen - are the two things linked?! So all the dreams that Lynn had for their life together are dashed and she goes back to work to help ease the pressure at home.

What then follows is then a well written observation of dealing with a loved one and the effects that dementia
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Muzica nopții
  • The Closer I Get
  • Finders, Keepers
  • O viata regasita
  • Keeper (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells, #2)
  • The Housewarming
  • The Lion Tamer Who Lost
  • Trap (Reykjavik Noir Trilogy, #2)
  • House of Spines
  • The Lingering
  • Tell Me A Secret
  • Kissing Games
  • Cage (Reykjavik Noir Trilogy, #3)