Start by marking “Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)” as Want to Read:
Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)

Seven Practices of Effective Ministry (North Point Resources)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,235 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Seven Practices of Effective Ministry
Published August 18th 2004 by Multnomah

To ask other readers questions about Seven Practices of Effective Ministry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Practices of Effective Ministry

David Gregg
This makes a grade-A, excellent management and organizational-systems book! I have since moved past trying to micromanage the Kingdom, so this wouldn't be my first suggestion to you unless a management or organizational-systems kind of book is what you are after.
Al Garlando
Jun 05, 2011 Al Garlando rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pastors & Ministry Leaders
A bit of a different spin on a more famous book with a very similar title.
This is a very pragmatic (& as one reviewer observed - a very Western philosophy) and simple approach to help clarify what it is you're trying to achieve in your ministry as a Pastor/Leader.

There's nothing really "new" in the book. BUT, it was, for me, invigorating and encouraging to read - it stirred me up (fanned the flame, so to speak) to be more intentional and deliberate in my approach to ministry in my Church and
Joel Jackson
Jan 08, 2013 Joel Jackson rated it liked it
The staff from North Point Community lay out their strategy of ministry in a very concise manner. I feel that the principles laid out in the text are applicable to many churches. I did struggle through some of the book though as I am not a baseball fan. Therefore, some of the baseball analogies were lost on me and my mind got bored when they got too into baseball history or facts. Beyond that, I always struggle with books written as successful in mega churches that established themselves. In som ...more
Matthew
Nov 26, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books on ministry that I've ever read (I've read it at least five times!)

The first half of the book is written as a parable/allegory. It's a great introduction to the practices that are going to be discussed in greater detail in the second half of the book.

The actual "7 Practices are: (1) Clarify the Win, (2) Think Steps, Not Programs, (3) Narrow the Focus, (4) Teach Less for More, (5) Listen to Outsiders, (6) Replace Yourself, and (7) Work On It.

If you serve in any capa
Mark Soone
Jan 10, 2012 Mark Soone rated it liked it
I love Andy Stanley (and unlike most he is the only Stanley that I really care to read/listen to), and make everything he writes must read material. Having been such a huge admirer of his ministry, speaking and books I have become accostamed to having high excpectations of him. Perhaps that is why a star rating of him might seem, out of my ordinary scope. I hope that it is not simply a case of having set the bar so high, that the rating is not fair to the work contained in this book.

There are so
Lynn Smith
Aug 13, 2015 Lynn Smith rated it it was amazing
Our pastor gave this book to our leadership team for a group read a couple of weeks ago and I just finished the book. The authors made the book easy to read and understand. Even though the concepts are easy to understand, they are practical, effective and well researched. Anyone would benefit from the principles of this book. While it is written by a church leadership team with church ministry in mind, the principles here could be applied to any ministry or even business. I would highly recommen ...more
Kelly Hodgkins
Sep 05, 2015 Kelly Hodgkins rated it it was amazing
I volunteer as a small group leader for Proverbs 31 Ministries and this book was recommended to us as an insightful read. How right they were! I wasn't sure what to expect when I started the book as it kicks off with an allegory based in baseball. The story is a powerful one though, even for those of us who don't know baseball.

I read with the ministry in mind but also from a personal and business stand point. I'm not a creat mon-fiction reader but this was a page turner! A number of these princ
Danny
Sep 12, 2008 Danny rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
7 Practices of Effective Ministry is composed of 2 parts. In part 1, the pastor plays hooky from an elders’ meeting to attend a major league baseball game and discovers 7 principles that become the basis of the 7 practices in part 2. Part 2 delves more deeply into each of the practices. There are great questions at the end of each of these chapters. The 7 practices are Clarify the win, Think steps not programs, Narrow the focus, Teach less for more, Listen to outsiders, Replace yourself and Work ...more
Matthewfryeinsightbb.com
Jan 18, 2015 Matthewfryeinsightbb.com rated it really liked it
The unique combination of narrative, baseball, church and business provides for an easy-to-digest book that applies business principles and ethics to the organization of the church. The seven practices are developed (and utilized by North Point Church)in an attempt to make churches fruitful, relevant, and growing. More so, the text challenges churches to break away from vague and faulty traditions, to hone in on a specific need/ population that is relevant to their area, and to be willing to adj ...more
Reid
Mar 27, 2008 Reid rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Western Christians wanting to evaluate their ministry
Parts of this book were really useful to me.

The first half (story part) was a good overview of North Point's principles of ministry.

I kept wanting more Bible and less business principles. But I couldn't help but be impressed with the Western mindset of evaluating what I am doing in ministry -- "Is it working or not"?

Non western Christians would have a hard time understanding the term "win".

Love, faithfulness, becoming Christlike --- are hard to measure.

The 7 practices are:
Clarify the win,
Thin
Carrie Daws
Apr 19, 2016 Carrie Daws rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I loved the bit of fiction in the beginning, perhaps because I related to so many aspects of it. The practical second half went into just enough depth to get my mind working on applying the principles within my own church ministries. And while I'm not a baseball fan and don't know a lot of the rules of the game, the analogy was kept simple enough that I understood the point.

I measure a nonfiction book by the amount of highlighting I do, and my copy of this one is very colored. Th
Craig Kendall
Nov 15, 2008 Craig Kendall rated it really liked it
This is an unusual book to be listed in my most recent reads collection. I'm guessing it was a last ditch grapple for being the leader the institution wanted me to be before I essentially walked away. What was interesting was how spot on the book and what Stanley outlines is. But the interesting thing was it was as much a read for anyone in leadership/management as it was for those in "church" positions. Just reinforced for me that there are some great business leaders out there trapped in what ...more
Sipho
Dec 21, 2015 Sipho rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent read that I highly recommend for anyone who is or aspires to be in leadership or management. Written by the leaders of North Point Community Church in Atlanta, the book distills sage wisdom into an easily readable and concise work. The authors emphasise that these are "practices" and not principles; a useful framework to guide the reading of the book.

The seven practices (in no particular order) are:
- Clarify the win
-Narrow the focus
-Focus on steps not programmes
-Teach more
Bekki
Apr 01, 2013 Bekki rated it really liked it
Every ministry leader should read this book....at least the second half (the real "meat" of the book.) Read this book as I'm in the planning stages for a new mom's ministry at our church. My husband (our church' senior pastor) is having the staff read through the book as well, so everyone in leadership can be on the same page.

I wish every ministry leader would read this book....our teaching and ministries could be exponentially more effective if we adopted these 7 practices.

(It should be noted
Brian Chilton
Jun 11, 2014 Brian Chilton rated it liked it
It's times like these that I wish there were half increment ratings. The book deserves higher than a 3, but not quite a 4. The North Point staff offer good, sound advice. However, some points remain suspect to me...such as "one point messages." I remember a great evangelist by the name of Dr. Randy Kilby saying once, "don't preach to the needs of the people, because you don't know what they need. Preach biblical truths and God will meet their needs." In this case, I would have to side with Dr. K ...more
Jared Jones
Mar 28, 2012 Jared Jones rated it it was amazing
I'm a little biased considering the co-author (my Dad). But I still say this is book provides some excellent tips for how to run an organization. None of these (as explained in the Preface) are seen as a substitute for seeking God's wisdom and guidance within your church. But the practices outlined within the book can be very helpful for operating within any type of ministry structure. Half of the book is a parable illustrating what the 7 practices are, and the other half is mroe explanation and ...more
Brian
Mar 01, 2012 Brian rated it it was ok
Shelves: pastoral
This is only a mediocre book on leadership principles which will supposedly make any ministry effective. While much of what is shared in the book is useful, there is nothing here to guide someone who is hungry to see what only God can do in ministry. Conspicuously absent are clear directions on how to deliberately build a church or ministry on the gospel of Christ. Much better is Mark Dever's book The Deliberate Church (see my review).
Brad
May 07, 2008 Brad rated it it was amazing
This book begins in parabolic style, and then unpacks the parable with effective leadership principles. What I appreciate about Andy Stanley is his passion to keep ministry simple and focused. Everything has a purpose. This is a great book which presents high end leadership principles from a master communicator.
Michael
Nov 04, 2013 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-read, 2014-read
This is one of my favorite books about creating a ministry plan. I highly recommend this as key resource to anyone in ministry and even those not in ministry but in a leadership role within their organization. The practices are so true and when implemented will change the way your ministry functions.
Scott
Oct 22, 2008 Scott rated it it was amazing
Great book! It forces you to look at why you are doing what you are doing as a church! It also shows you practically how to do the things that God has called you to do. I am currently going through this book with my Leadership Team and it is really getting us all on the same page! I cannot wait to see what God is going to do with our church as we more "effective ministry!"
Anthony Hiltz
Dec 22, 2015 Anthony Hiltz rated it really liked it
Fantastically practical advice for churches to stay focused and be on mission. Love these seven practices and I'll be implementing them surely!

Seven practices

6 - Replace Yourself

7 - Work On It
Steven
Dec 28, 2009 Steven rated it it was amazing
Amazing! This is a book I think I am going to read every year. THe principles and practices in this book are so simple yet so powerful. I really appreciated the transparency in North Point's ministry process. If you are in ministry you should read this book.
Shannon Rammler
Mar 08, 2015 Shannon Rammler rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this practical book from beginning to end. I am a fan of Reggie Joiner (Lead Small) and appreciated the practical, concise and relevant material that can easily be applied to my classroom or business/leadership scenario.
Andy Cockrell
Sep 04, 2016 Andy Cockrell rated it really liked it
A book written in 2004 was required reading for a seminary course in 2014, and it was the best book I read that entire semester. The book reads like a fiction book - a very engaging one - while communicating simple truths for church leaders.
Michael Vincent
Some effective ideas and strategies about church growth. Some of his ideas however, relate better to larger churches. A worthwhile read for those seeking new ideas and looking for ways to help function better as churches and help people more effectively grow spiritually.
Luke
Oct 08, 2009 Luke rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on making ministry work. It's not theological. It's practical. It can be applied to Word and Sacrament ministry just as it has been applied to church growth stuff. A must read for all pastors!
Al Soto
Jul 26, 2011 Al Soto rated it really liked it
: "Excellent Tool for Strategic Implementation in the local Church. This book's-principles is the foundation for our Ministry Team on how we think through new initiatives in our Church. For anyone in local church leadership a must read and better with a your whole team."
Efrem
Mar 15, 2014 Efrem rated it really liked it
This book is a very good tool for helping those in ministry to be focused on the right things and to stay on the right track in ministry so as to maximize the effectiveness of the ministry. It is a very worthy read.
Jeff Barksdale
Oct 08, 2009 Jeff Barksdale rated it liked it
A Baseball game in this book - all is "write" in the world.
John
Jun 11, 2011 John rated it really liked it
This is a simple yet valuable read on the principles of leading a church written in a story format that keeps you engaged and wanting more. I'd recommend to all pastors and church leaders.
Thriving Life Church: CLT 1 6 Sep 05, 2012 05:01AM
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Breakout Churches: Discover How to Make the Leap
  • Sticky Church
  • Move: What 1,000 Churches Reveal about Spiritual Growth
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • Courageous Leadership
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • Transformational Church
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • The Purpose Driven Church: Every Church Is Big in God's Eyes
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • They Like Jesus but Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations
  • Dangerous Calling: Confronting the Unique Challenges of Pastoral Ministry
  • Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
More about Andy Stanley...

“Pitchers don’t need to hit well; they need to pitch well. Every step you create needs to do what it does best and nothing more. Focus allows you to pursue excellence, to zero in on the target. You can ruin a great pitcher by trying to make a hitter out of him, and you can ruin a great church…” 0 likes
“Nothing hinders morale more than when team members with separate agendas are pulling against one another.” 0 likes