Start by marking “What If Everybody Said That?” as Want to Read:
What If Everybody Said That?

What If Everybody Said That?

What if everybody chose to be kind?

If you tell someone that they can’t play with you, there’s no harm done, right? But what if everybody said that? What if everybody forgot to be kind…and made fun of other kids’ artwork at school, or told a fib, or refused to share with a person in need? The world wouldn’t be a very nice place to live. But what if everybody thought before
Published August 1st 2018 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about What If Everybody Said That?, please sign up.
Pat Wellhausen I'm not a teacher but got the book as many before me did, with the Amazon Prime offer. The message is good, but I questioned the presentation of the…moreI'm not a teacher but got the book as many before me did, with the Amazon Prime offer. The message is good, but I questioned the presentation of the message, found it confusing. As for a separate class, I think the teachers have enough to do, but don't see any reason why appropriate behavior and kindness can't be shown by example and perhaps a short discussion at the beginning of each day about the potential benefits and consequences of being kind and polite.(less)

TL
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got this via Amazon First Reads on their Prime Deals days.. they had all six Kindle picks available for download:).
----
Artwork: 4 stars

Story: 4 stars

A cute book I think everyone should read to their kids. (Definitely will with my niece). Some kids and parents I see at work sometimes.. makes me think about how my parents would just give us a Look and we'd behave.

I don't want to say much and spoil it but would definitely recommend. :)
Jane
No thank you. I did not like this. I get the point but I think it is a bit bossy and not fun at all.
Carrie
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure why I had this in my library. It is definitely not in my genre of reading. But since it was there, I opened it to check it out and ended up reading through to the end.

The artwork was nice and seemed a bit retro. I liked the fonts used.

This book would be good for young children who are struggling with saying mean things and being too critical of others. It successfully explains how that behavior can negatively impact others.
Herman Fassett
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Cute illustrations. However, I think it would have benefited if it stuck more to its description "What if everyone chose to be kind?" It all dwelt on what happened if no one was kind right up until the last page when it had one kind example... Hmm.
What really makes me scratch my head is that while I see this is trying to have some good message for kids, I honestly would have found this a pretty boring book when I was a kid into picture books. Granted, that wasn't a long period, but still.
Juliana
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for teaching children the importance of language and behavior. Manners and politeness go a long way and hurtful words can make a big impact. Definitely a book you should read with your child as they begin school and socialize more with other children.
Kristi Bernard
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When children learn to be mindful and respectful, they can be much happier in their lives. They learn to share, compliment and speak up for others. What would happen if they weren’t? This story shares exactly what can happen and it’s not a good thing.

One little girl was asked by a group of boys if they could play pirates with her. She replied with “no boys allowed.” In class, this same little girl made fun of the art projects of the other children, the children were sad and no longer wanted to c
Vicky Marie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
One of my favorite perks of being an Amazon prime member is the free book each month with the Kindle Firsts program. For Prime Day they did something awesome and let you get all six books free! Of course I downloaded all of them. Normally I don't read children's books but this was a part of the bunch so I thought why not? There's a good lesson taught in which kindness and manners are important. Children should learn the effect their words have. Telling someone that their appearance is weird or u ...more
Mimi
Aug 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Teaching moment lost

I was disappointed with this book. It showed mostly examples of fairly mean, bullying behavior by the main character. There was ample opportunity to provide understanding for the main character of how bullying feels once they are on the receiving end. Unfortunately, there were none. Bullies rarely have epiphanies and just apologize, especially at this age. The opportunity to teach an important lesson that has been plaguing our society for generations was lost.
Anam Cara
Unfortunate beginning

I completely understand the lesson the author is trying to teach primary grade students. It is a valuable lesson. But the first page does not take into account the way her story could be interpreted by these young students.

She begins with a girl who is asked if others can play with her responds with,”No boys allowed.” To the question, “What if everybody said that?” Examples are given, “no freckles allowed,” “no climbing for girls,” and “no big kids.”

Younger children might no
Jana
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What If everybody did?

I loved the book WHAT IF EVERYBODY DID? I began my school year with that book last year. During the year I would occasionally hear a student say. "What if everybody did?" I would smile knowing the message of the book caught on. Now this one presents our words to others in that way. Both books have enough humor to get in the message and do it with a smile.
Melissa Nichols
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought

I thought the book would focus more on how we should talk nicely to others. Instead I felt like it only focused on the mean things kids could say to each other. Only the last page shows the girls being nice and talking nicely to others. I am so glad I didn't read this with my kids. I will not be reading this to my kids.
Susan
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
#partner #blueslipmedia

What if Everybody Said That?

Words by Ellen Javernick

Pictures by Colleen Madden

Thank you to Blue Slip Media and Two Lions Publishing for the free copy of this book. All opinions are my own.

The little girl who is the main character in What if Everybody Said That? will immediately remind you of someone you’ve encountered, or perhaps even of yourself at one time. She’s a little girl who never thinks of anyone, but herself. She’s one who never “thinks before she speaks”, somet
Stacie
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
As the school year is about to begin here, this book is an excellent reminder of how we should treat others and how we want to be treated. No one likes to be left out of fun activities and this book offers all kinds of examples of how our words can hurt others. Whether we tell someone they can’t play with us because they are too big, or they look funny with their new glasses, or their drawing is bad we have hurt them…even if it that wasn’t the intention. Children especially can be too literal at ...more
Cale
Aug 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Look, this is a kid's book, so I'm really not the intended target. That being said, it really seems to miss the mark. Teaching kids to think before they speak is a good thing, but this book doesn't do that. It really isn't explicit enough with how damaging words can be, and the examples it provides don't really seem to support its statements. Maybe I'm out of touch, but I don't think its target audience will pick up the subtleties of the message. Maybe if someone else in the story actually DID s ...more
Linden
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute story with an important message for everyone, not just children. Unfiltered comments can hurt, and we should all be considering the impact of what we say.
Maggie Mattmiller
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one even more than the first! Highly recommend for ANY classroom library (even above the recommended age. I read the first one to my middle schoolers and we had a great conversation.) Also would recommend for home libraries!
Lynn
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Nice Book

Meant sure what to expect because I worried it might be a scolding book. It's hot. It's very pleasant and demonstrates manners in a very positive way. I would love to share this with my students.
Lisa Blair
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Formatting Issues

This book was incompatible with my Kindle. When I tried to read it on my phone’s kindle app, it was too small to read and would not allow me to enlarge it. When I turned my phone sideways, it enlarged the print, but cutoff a third of the page. I really tried to overcome the obstacles and managed to piece together the storyline. Great concept, but issues in the delivery, thus the one star rating.

Illustrations mainly featured negative facial expressions. Good desire to teach kind
Sherilee
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Lessons

What a good lesson book for kids. With beautiful eye drawing pictures. I will definitely be sharing this book and phrase with my kids.
Nina !!
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick children's read with my baby brother. This book had a great message -- the main character acts selfishly (e.g., quitting a game of soccer while her team is losing, or refusing to play with the new neighbor because the narrator already has friends), and the adults in her life reply, "what if everybody said that?" -- something good to think on for adults and children alike. If everybody said "no boys allowed" or "your shirt is ugly" or other negative, exclusionist things, the world would b ...more
Gmr
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Right from the start, you can't help but be drawn in. I mean, the title alone would do it with all the ponderings it brings to mind, but combine that with the cover, you just know something is about to go down, and you want to be a part of it...or perhaps not. You see, our little leading lady is being anything but angelic. Now don't get me wrong, people should be free to be themselves, but that goes for EVERYONE, and ridiculing, picking on, or name calling is for the birds...well, okay, not even ...more
Baby Bookworm
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is What If Everybody Said That?, written by Ellen Javernick and illustrated by Colleen Madden, a lesson in considering the impact our words and actions can have on others.

A little girl with a host of bad manners displays her rudeness in number of scenarios, beginning with not allowing boys to play with her in the park. “What if everybody said that?” the boys’ moth
Rachel
Sep 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute, sweet read about a girl who speaks without thinking, until she is forced to think - what if everybody said the mean things she is saying. In short, it would not be nice nor funny. It takes "How would you like it if someone said that to you" to new level as the reader visually gets to see other kids' responses and perspectives.
qazwiz
Aug 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Standard fare

While ok, it's not anything special.... "What if Everybody Said That?" Maybe if everybody Said the truth about these " be nicy-nice" propaganda books someone would actually write something worth reading.

A bit of the problem is that saying "That's mean" to honest answers discourages HONESTY! Many of the examples could have been honest belief instead mean bullying.

I know many people who buy wrong style (think bikini on 200lb woman or stripes that does wrong look). Friends should be
Jessi
Aug 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh

This book would be ok for an older child but not for young kids learning to be nice. There’s just not enough positive in this book to offset the negatives.
Diana Southammavong
Great story!

This book is a great bedtime story! It teaches kids to be more kind and to take other people’s feeling into consideration.

There’s various scenarios that are brought up to where mean things are said. After each scene my son and I discussed what was the correct way i treat others in the scenario.
Alison Whiteman
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bring Back Manners!

Adults can learn from this as well. What if everybody at my housing complex had to read this? Stop bullying in public housing.
S
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful Story!

I read this book with my great nephew. Wonderfully written and helpful with teaching your little person to be kind to others.
Darinda
The main character is basically a bully and consistently says rude things. Everyone else in the story (parents, teachers, etc.) always respond with "What if everybody said that?" Then examples are shown of the chaos that would happen if everybody said mean things.

A picture book with a message. I like the message that people should be kinder to each other, but this book falls a little flat on delivering that message. Great, colorful illustrations.

I received a digital copy of this book via Amazon
Aeicha
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ellen Javernick's What If Everybody Said That? is a timely and colorful picture book with a meaningful message about kindness. Through simple, yet thought provoking text and relatable scenarios, this picture book explores topics such as selfishness, bullying, and thoughtless behavior in age appropriate ways that don't simply tell little readers that these things are bad, but encourages readers to think about why these things are bad and how they can respond to, react to, and change these rude be ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Riley Knows He Can
  • I Love Cake!: Starring Rabbit, Porcupine, and Moose
  • King Ben and Sir Rhino
  • A Piece of Cake
  • Introducing Teddy: A Gentle Story About Gender and Friendship
  • The Storybook Knight
  • It's Show and Tell, Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter Book 2)
  • Peaceful Piggy Meditation
  • That Holy Anarchist: Reflections on Christianity & Anarchism
  • The Magical Stones of Pharr
  • Eduardo Guadardo, Elite Sheep
  • I Got a Chicken for My Birthday
  • Hoot and Peep
  • Is God Just a Human Invention?: And Seventeen Other Questions Raised by the New Atheists
  • Troll and the Oliver
  • Chee-Kee: A Panda in Bearland
  • Where Are My Books?
  • Forever or a Day
Ellen Javernick is a kindergarten teacher who lives in Loveland, Colorado. She’s also the author of numerous magazine stories, articles, and books. One of her books, the very popular What If Everybody Did That?, is often used to help children internalize appropriate behavior.