Start by marking “Spymaster (Scot Harvath, #17)” as Want to Read:
Spymaster (Scot Harvath, #17)

Spymaster

(Scot Harvath #17)

Across Europe, a secret organization has begun attacking diplomats. Back in the United States, a foreign ally demands the identity of a highly placed covert asset. In the balance hang the ingredients for all-out war.

With his mentor out of the game, counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath must take on the role he has spent his career avoiding. But, as with everything else h
Published July 3rd 2018 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about Spymaster, please sign up.
Tom Dixon Yes, I'm getting frustrated with the writing style. Too many uses of "OK, we're in a pickle so here's what we are going to do..." cut to next chapter …moreYes, I'm getting frustrated with the writing style. Too many uses of "OK, we're in a pickle so here's what we are going to do..." cut to next chapter and different action. That technique really separates me as the reader from the closer relationship I should have with characters. It means that suddenly I'm no longer part of the team and part of the action and just some disconnected observer. I think Thor has been using this technique more as the series has gone or maybe I'm just noticing it more as it irritates me every time!(less)
Keith Just finished reading this. The last few books have been less than stellar. The earlier books are much, much better. Go back to the beginning, and enj…moreJust finished reading this. The last few books have been less than stellar. The earlier books are much, much better. Go back to the beginning, and enjoy. They are a bit dated, but Spy stuff is always good. Whatever you do, DON'T read the Athena Project. It's terrible.(less)

Start your review of Spymaster (Scot Harvath, #17)
Tim
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
To be continued....I hate endings like this. I had to revise my rating, (down) because BT is better than this. 4 of 10 stars
Matt
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Brad Thor returns with another wonderful novel in his Scot Harvath series, keeping things not only exciting but politically on point. In a world where alliances are always shifting, the reemergence of Russian political dominance is one that cannot be ignored. After a number of high-ranking officials from a number of NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) countries are gunned down, word is that it is part of a larger plan to disrupt the collective. There is proof that the Russians have been am ...more
kartik narayanan
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a pretty meh book. It had action and everything but there is this feeling of 'being there, done that' that kept oozing through quite often. But, the ending (which teases) gives me hope that this is a bridge to a new character arc from the next book onwards.

fingers crossed
Adah Udechukwu
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spymaster was awesome!!!
When Harvath and his team were sniffing around tracking Tretyakov; Tretyakov's goons were investigating Harvath.
Brad Thor did well by not portraying the bad guys as imbeciles.
The novel was well written and action packed.
The cliffhanger............ The cliffhanger was top notch.

How come Harvath does not have a movie?
The Real Book Spy
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
See this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

When Russia implements a daring plan to draw the United States into war, it’s up to counterterrorism operative Scot Harvath to once again save the day in Brad Thor’s (Use of Force, etc.) action-packed new thriller.

A sniper in Portugal, a car bomb in Spain, and a shooter in Greece. Three attacks, three dead diplomats. As blood spills across Europe, an American private security firm discovers that a secret organization is behind the attacks and qu
Ben
Jul 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Wow. This book was remarkably bad.

This book just can't build up any momentum without going off on some tangent that not only should've been dealt with earlier or just isn't necessary in the first place. Not only is the book structurally a mess (this guy has written a TON of books, how has he not figured this out by now?), but the prose just isn't that engaging. It's bad enough that I was genuinely shocked that it had sold so many copies!

The books builds (I use the word charitably) to a few seq
Steve
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Everything I've come to expect from a Harvath thriller. The politics of the book are certainly in context with the headlines of the times, not unusual for Brad Thor. But, seriously—what's with that ending? Not cool, man. I mean, cool—but not cool! The next book is a long way off and I am not a patient person.
Pamela
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the macho man character of Scott Harvath. I like the complex political plot line (which seemingly could be ripped from the current headlines a la Tom Clancy). The enthralling and freshly unique plot in SPYMASTER is interesting, but regrettably, the execution is not captivating; it didn’t even hold my interest well ( evidenced by my putting the book down several times and taking 2 weeks - instead of 2 days- to finish it!)

Even with only 316 pages, the pacing and plot lag. Complex becomes co
Liz
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I look forward to my yearly date with SH however this was a huge disappointment. I kept waiting for things to get going then when they did the book was over. Thankfully there was little politics in this go round; BT can get a bit preachy. As this ended on a cliffhanger, I will be back next July. Hopefully the next one starts off with a bang and we get the BT outing we are used to!
Glen
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This latest entry in the Scot Harvath series appears to be a transitional novel.

Someone is murdering diplomats, and Harvath has to find out who, and why. He's aging out of the field, taking shots of some serum to stay in the game, but knows he has to retire soon. His boss has Alzheimer's disease. There's a scenario that recently (months after the book was published) was discovered in the newspapers.

Very exciting,and beyond timely.
Bob
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
What a disappointment!

The book felt like Brad Thor had a word goal from his publisher.
Too much fluff, not enough action.
If you want an action thriller, just read the last 15% of the book.
And a terrible ending!
Skip
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The book opens with Scot as an observer on a Norwegian cabin by its elite military, but all hell breaks loose. Scot is trying to stop a group killing diplomats with an agenda to foment trouble within NATO by a foreign superpower. The deeper plan is to recapture former colonies by making a military response by NATO impossible, both tactically and strategically. I liked the parallels drawn by Thor to Nazi Germany's hegemony to protect its nationals in neighboring countries. Nicholas and Vella play ...more
John H Sneed
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brad-thor
The story line is very weak, disjointed, and uninteresting. Did I forget to say it was weak?
I've noticed that around the 20th title, some authors seem 'used up'. No new ideas, bonded to the established characters, preventing them from having new ideas. Did I forget to mention 'no new ideas'?
I will keep reading Brad Thor (and Ted Bell and Tom Clancey and Clive Custler) just to see if they can break out of their creative detention center.
Jill Mackin
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoy a Scot Harvath adventure once in awhile.
David Eppenstein
My interest in this series has been waning. Thor's last few additions to the series have been rather tiresome in that they seem to be a continuous repetition of hunting down and killing Arab terrorists. After awhile the originality of going about such tasks can be exhausted and that can be fatal for an author. I am happy to report that with this book Thor is back to his A game and has left the Arabs in the desert. This story concerns the Russian plans to undermine NATO and its allies with a phon ...more
Stuart Ashenbrenner
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, Brad Thor, how do you do it? Brad Thor continues to be at the top of the genre, beating headlines, and keeping an exciting the story the whole way through. I've noticed Thor's books taking a harder and harder political stance, but I didn't feel it with this one, which I think will help it to appeal to people across the aisles. What a great story, and it probably has one of the craziest endings of any of Thor's books. Great, great novel!
Melissa
5/5 Stars
I decided to jump ahead to the most recent Brad Thor novel (now 2nd most recent) because he’s coming to my local bookstore on his latest book tour, and boy am I glad I did! I am usually a read-them-in-order kinda girl, but had heard a lot of good buzz about Spymaster so jumped ahead and read it. I’m not sure when Thor’s stories made the leap into 5-star territory, but this one certainly delivers. This definitely an action-packed thriller. A good, well-developed supporting cast helps pro
Dave
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: brad-thor
After a while these types of books all seem the same but I still enjoyed reading it and it was a fast read.
Victoria Mcvicker
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Steve
Jul 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, but not one of the better BT novels. Too many characters again and started losing interest about 2/3rds finished.
Michael Goulette
Jul 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Not his best work. The plot was somewhat predictable and not all that exciting.
Douglas Barrow
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brad-thor, thrillers
I have to begin this review at the end of the book...

Brad, what were you thinking! I have to wait a year now?!

Now my review: Scot Harvath has now evolved into a different kind of operative/leader. He has gotten older and now has a growing team of top shelf operators to do some of the heavy lifting. And as it turns out, he needs them.

The Russians have embedded cells and individuals that are carrying out terrorist attacks in NATO countries. They want to destabilize them as a preamble to an invasi
Nichole Tompkins
Fierce female characters that are both bold and brave and an aged but heroic capable main character make this story a thrilling plot. Virginia Hall would be proud of the women portrayed in this novel. Moreover, military deception is not a new idea and has been a real issue long before WW II, when forces spread rumors of reinforcements coming for battleships in the Caribbean, of course there were none. Strategic services do change global events. This book is realistic for current events and tensi ...more
Karen
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, you will want to continue reading it in just one sitting! This is not a spoiler!
It seems as if it is so real, as if it has just popped up on the daily newscast. I especially enjoyed it because we lived for a year in Estonia and traveled extensively through the Baltic states, though never in Kaliningrad itself.
It all rings true, with the Russian menacing and their efforts to destabilize Nato, except the POTUS in the book is Not Aiding & Abetting the enemy!!!
Pam1007
Jul 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I couldn't wait to read the new Scot Harvath book. He is one of my favorite characters. However, the cliff hanger ending ruined it for me. I purchased the book through Audible and thought there had been some type of mistake in the download when the book ended so suddenly. I am very disappointed.
Kate
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brad Thor certainly knows how to write a thrilling, timely and fast paced novel! There's not a ton of character development in this one, but there's a lot of action. Also, it's dealing with NATO and Russia so it's interesting in that way. It ends on a major cliffhanger!!!! I'm sure it will be another year before we see the next installment so that kind of sucks, but I can't wait.
Wenzel Roessler
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So many great things about this book. A realistic plot, great action, and well written characters both main and secondary. I am happy with stories like this because I feel as if this can or has happened. And add to that characters that seem true to life and act accordingly it makes for a compelling read.
Anthony Jackson
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. The plot was good and the characters were great. The only bad thing is I felt as if it started with a bang then slowed down. The book did pick back up but then it ended.
Ray Palen
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read my full review tomorrow on bookreporter.com.
Rick
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Another great installment. Particularly better than the previous one. Strongly recommended.

• Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17)
  • Bloody Sunday (Dewey Andreas, #8)
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp, #18)
  • Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • Total Power (Mitch Rapp, #19)
  • The Other Woman (Gabriel Allon, #18)
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • The Terminal List (Terminal List, #1)
  • True Believer (Terminal List, #2)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma, #1)
  • Operator Down (Pike Logan #12)
  • Mission Critical (Gray Man #8)
  • Savage Son (Terminal List #3)
  • Line of Sight (Jack Ryan Universe, #25)
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • Oath of Office (Jack Ryan Universe #26)
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Enemy of the State (Mitch Rapp, #16)
Thank you for stopping by my GOODREADS author page.

My new thriller, NEAR DARK is on sale now.

I have also created an array of terrific bonus material for you at my web site BradThor.com and hope you will visit.

Happy reading!

Scot Harvath (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath, #1)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)
  • The Apostle (Scot Harvath, #8)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • Full Black (Scot Harvath #10)