Start by marking “Looking for Dei (The Godseeker Duet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Looking for Dei (The Godseeker Duet, #1)

Looking for Dei

(The Godseeker Duet #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  311 ratings  ·  114 reviews
Fifteen-year-old Nara Dall has never liked secrets. Yet it seems that her life is filled with them, from the ugly scar on her back to the strange powers she possesses. Her adoptive father refuses to say anything about her origins. And when Nara is invited to the towns announcement ceremony, which tests youths for magical gifts, he forbids her from revealing her powers.

The
Published March 22nd 2018 by Seeker Press

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Dei, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Dei

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Looking for Dei (The Godseeker Duet, #1)
Tasha Mahoney
Story: 4
Narration: 5
Overall: 4.5
David A Willson is such a talent! Looking For Dei is a wonderfully written fantasy story that focuses on the lives of Nara, her wonderful adopted father and her best friend Mykel. Nara has magic. Most people that possess magical powers have one, extremely powerful people can have up to two but Nara has many and throughout the story she learns more about herself and her powers.

There is a lot of world building within this book but it's done amazingly well, it is
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
Looking for Dei was a book I was sent for review and I loved the cover. I loved the look of a powerful girl taking advantage of her powers, and I couldnt wait to delve into a fantasy world and see what was in store for me. Although there were some elements to the book which I wasnt too thrilled about, it still left me pretty excited for the rest of the series!

One of my favourite things about this book had to be the world building and the magic system. I think the author did a great job of
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I was on the promotional tour for this book!

Looking for Dei is a YA Fantasy that involves magical gifts and what the consequences are, should things get out of hand. In Naras village, gifted youths is a thing of the past. But the mystery surrounds the area, as to why this has become the case. Nara decides that the right thing to do, is use her powers to uncover the mystery. But once events start happening, is her ideas suddenly out of control? It is a visual read, that was action-packed in every
Sherry Fundin
Looking for Dei by David A Wilson starts out with a childhood memory and Im hoping that means good things are to come. Butthe old man

Mykel and Nara are best friends. Would he like more? Maybe, but he is patient young man. With his scar, he feels inferior, but she doesnt pay any attention to it. After all, her is bigger, though hidden.

Bylo, her sort of father, loved her, raised her and helped keep her secret. He brought her to Dimmit to hide her, protect her. The announcement exposes themI knew
Nada Sobhi
"The townsfolk held their breath as if deep underwater, lungs bursting with discomfort until they could reach the surface and exhale the anxiety of the moment."

Looking for Dei by David A. Willson is a quick-paced, elemental adventure with a cast of beautiful heroes.

The novel opens with a monk kidnapping a scarred child, whom we later meet as 16-year-old Nara. The monk, Bilo, has raised her as his own but for years has kept her powers hidden for fear that those in power would find her and
Alexis
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for Dei is the story of a prophecy involving twins, and one of the twins is the main character. Nara is a teenage girl with secret abilities she is trying to hide from an annual tradition that exposes people with powers. Although Nara isn't discovered one of her friends is deemed to be cursed, causing her, a father figure, and her friend to all run away.

One of my biggest issues with this book was the cliches. We had Nara, who was not like other girls. "Nara didn't fit in with the other
Josie Jaffrey
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great YA novel. I was intrigued by the world that the author had created from the beginning; it was inventive and atmospheric. The magical runes did remind me somewhat of Cassandra Clare, but the way the author used them and the variety of the rest of the fantasy elements meant that the novel had originality.

Nara was a good protagonist. She was believable and likeable, if a little wet at times. A varied and interesting cast supported her and I really liked the fact that the story
Christopher Schmitz
David A. Willsons Looking For Dei is a wonderful new YA novel. It is listed under YA Fantasy and Urban Fantasy Im not sure that it quite fits either of those molds. It also isnt quite an apocalyptic dystopia, but there are minor elements of all those genres, making modern teen readers feel right at home with the themes.

The story follows a few different POVs but mainly focuses on Nara and Mykel; Nara has a mysterious heritage and Mykel, her friend can empathize with her because of a birth defect.
Rebekah
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for Dei was such a delicious YA high fantasy read!! The world and magic system were so incredibly unique, and the writing was beautiful! If you love high fantasy and any kind of magic, I know that you would really enjoy this book! It's one of those books that I feel is much too underrated for the quality of the fantastical world.
The writing did not catch me from the very beginning, like a story should. But the writing was still great, and I definitely became more interested in the story
Amelia
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got an e-copy ARC of this book from NetGally in return for an honest review. This book was a quick read. Took me a day because I was also studying for exams. The plot was interesting however the writing was a bit scattered. There was a a lot of information dumps which made it a bit dull to read as the author tended to drag out character descriptions. But it was interesting enough to keep reading.
Salma
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Was unexpectedly thrilled by the quality of this book! Amazing settings, characters, feelings, and the ups and downs got me dizzy--in a good way! One thing I found particularly enthralling was the change in point of view from chapter to chapter, it definitely kept things interesting. Would definitely recommend to a friend!
Simi Sunny
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cheryl Whitty
The heroine of our story is a teenage girl called Nara, and she lives in a backwater and poor village called Dimmitt. Nara and her friend Mykel are awaiting the announcement ceremony where hopefully someone in their village would be gifted and bring hope to the village.
This is start of an adventure which takes them from one end of the land the other. Until Nara is captured for her gifts to be used by an evil and ambitious man.
This is the first in a series, and sets the scene perfectly. There is
Heena Rathore P.
3.5/5

Looking For Dei by David A. Wilson is an interesting new high fantasy read with a believable storyline and an impressive world-setting. I was pulled into the story right from the start and was kept engaged till I hit the middle part of the story, and that was when I kind of hit a brick wall. After about 45% I started to struggle because of the pacing, which was pretty good until that point but then suddenly slacked and the story started to feel like a drag. Fortunately, after a while, the
Pages For Thoughts
The author wrote great imagery and the world felt real, as if I was in it. The plot development was very smooth. I really enjoyed the pace of this book, which held my interest. I was extremely hooked on Nara and Kayna's story. The contrast between Nara and Kayna is striking, considering that they are twins. Nara takes life for granted while Kanya finds joy in taking lives. The concept of the "broken" ones having special gifts is an interesting twist that I enjoyed, sort of the opposite of real ...more
Kim Owens
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for Dei was a refreshing surprise! When I began reading, I honestly thought, Oh, here we go again with another Hunger Games or Divergent wanna-be. I didnt know if I was going to be able to read it. I was completely wrong!
This book is brilliantly written. While I am not a huge fan of most fantasy, Looking for Dei takes you on a beautiful journey of self-exploration, growing up, and did I mention the magic? The magic is fascinating!
Nara and Mykel live in the small town of Dimmitt. Each
Michelle
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you start this story, you'll want to finish it, even though this book is only the beginning of a fantastic adventure. The characters are engaging and dynamic, and the storyline is intriguing and exciting. The book follows the life of Nara, from her abduction in toddlerhood to her passage into her prime through a dystopian style announcement ceremony, and the somewhat unexpected chaos that follows. The magical elements coexist with the spiritual in this tale, and it isn't preachy or stuffy ...more
Marie -The Reading Otter
Review:
DNF 25%

So, not going to rate because I didn't finish it...

This book just never did grab me at all.
I was uninterested in the characters shortly after they were introduced, the plot didn't feel very thought out to me. It's written like it's part of a series, I skipped to the end to see I wanted to finish it, but I didn't see any other books on the author's Goodreads page.
I was never able to really picture the world, and the magic system I personally don't think was explained very well.
This
Anthony
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. All opinions are my own.

A young woman learns her destiny is far greater than she could have imagined in author David A. Wilson's Looking for Dei. A brand new YA Fantasy novel that is filled with magic, war torn countries and love, this brand new release is an amazing first novel in what I hope will become a full fledged series. Here is the synopsis:

Fifteen-year-old Nara Dall has never liked secrets. Yet it seems that
Neil
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, fantasy, teen
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
Wonderful characters and great world building make for really enjoyable story.
It may be for teens but I just could not put this down.
Give me more.
Christine Ricci
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic! After the last two books I read, I have been itching to find something good. I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway, and I'm so glad I did! It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I read the entire book in a week! I'm a slow reader, so that's a pretty good speed for me. I just couldn't put it down.

Nara and the other characters are so well written. They have flaws and are haunted by these flaws. Through these characters, we explore love in both a familial
ShinyObject
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of Looking for Dei by David A. Willson from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I quite enjoyed this novel! The characters were nicely shaped; the plot was intriguing and fresh, yet easy to follow (wasnt unnecessarily convoluted); and it quickly drew me in.
J. Ford
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the story itself. I liked the message it tried to get across. I liked the religious aspects and the use of ruins and magic and the connections with the divine. My biggest issue is with the writing.

It's not bad, but it was very hard to follow at times and I couldn't get into the characters because of it.

The story opens with a beautiful scene of a 2-year old child playing in the field of an orphanage. The picture was very clear in my mind of her
Rayleigh
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The answer to a prophecy. Tender to those around her. Deadly to her enemies.

Looking For Dei is a different type of Fantasy novel that allows us to watch the story unfold from all directions. We switch between the point of views of Nara and Mykel primarily, but there are a few scenes from their enemies' point of views (yes, multiple enemies) which I thought really heightened the tension. We were able to feel dread for what we knew was to come, even though where they were through most of the story
Terri Wilson
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is hard to take a classic fantasy trope and create a new twist. The idea of siblings, one good/ one bad, I can't say that I've read a book that involved conjoined twins, so I would say this author did just that. And he did it well. At first, I had no idea where this book was headed. The story unfolds between multiple POV's, with the majority of the story told from Nara's viewpoint. I enjoy a book like this. I also enjoy books with women in leadership roles. I think the author did a great job ...more
Barbara Ranous
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful YA story - very imaginative. This was a page turner for me. Recommended for those who love magical stories.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book. I very much appreciate it.
Vicki Trask
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of Looking for Dei by David A. Willson as part of a blog tour promoting the book.

With so much fantasy and magic elements woven into modern fiction, it can be difficult to find total originality. Telling a unique story from a brand new perspective is nearly impossible these days, so your best option is to take an amalgamation of your best or favourite elements to tell an interesting story. I think thats what Looking for Dei attempted to do.

Though the title of the book might
Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts
"She walked slowly, not because of her fatigue but rather to calm her anxious heart. For tomorrow's announcement may very well unveil the secret she had been keeping for years."

Little to No Spoilers

THOUGHTS

I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review; thank you for the opportunity to read and review this novel. This in no way sways my review or opinion of the novel.

In a world where having magical abilities is the ultimate decision factor of a persons fate, the day of the announcement
Rebecca Armstrong

Looking for Dei has a lot of great world building. Not only do we get some beautiful descriptions of the places we visit, there's an emphasis on history, religion and a strong magic system thats easy to understand. We also don't have the typical blind faith in religion that fantasy books often portray, there's doubt from some characters. Plus, some characters out right deny their faith in the god they are 'supposed' to worship. The same goes for the magic system, which is used very differently
Billy Buttons
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A WISHING SHELF BOOK REVIEW
6th January 2018
TITLE: Looking for Dei
AUTHOR: David A. Willson
Star Rating: 4.5

REVIEW
Looking of Dei by David A. Wilson is a wonderfully exciting fantasy novel for young adults and, perhaps, slightly older. Well-written with a good balance of descriptive prose and speech, it follows a young girl called Nara Dall in a story packed with magic, adventure, and, best of all, slowly unfolding secrets that will thoroughly hook any teenager in.

The most striking element with this
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Of Murders and Mages: Casino Witch Mysteries 1
  • Beached & Bewitched (A Magic Island Paranormal Cozy Mystery #1)
  • A Dance of Dragons: Series Starter Bundle
  • Freshman Witch (Supernatural Academy #1)
  • Acts of Mercy (Mercy Temple Chronicles #1)
  • The Meat Hunter
  • Spellwood Academy
  • World Whisperer
  • The Prophet's Apprentice (Chronicles of the Chosen)
  • Sweet Murder (Witches of Keyhole Lake, #1)
  • Voice of Dominion (The Spoken Mage, #3)
  • The Touch: A Supernatural Story (The Touch, #1)
  • Frost (Midnight Ice, #1)
  • The First Voyage (Pets and Masters in Space #1)
  • Martian Plague
  • Goldheart (Andari Chronicles, #2)
  • The Legend of the Blue Eyes (Blue Eyes Trilogy #1)
  • The Warrior's Bane (War for the Quarterstar Shards, #1)
Taught by his mother to love books at a young age, David A. Willson spent his childhood exploring magic, spaceships, and other dimensions. In his writing, he strives to bring those worlds to his readers.

Much of his material is inspired by the Great Land of Alaska, which he has called home for over 30 years. He lives there with his wife, five children, and 2 dogs. He is passionate about

The Godseeker Duet (2 books)
  • Finding Kai (The Godseeker Duet, #2)

News & Interviews