Start by marking “In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)” as Want to Read:
In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)

In the Dark

(DI Adam Fawley #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  10,025 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews
DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY'RE HIDING IN THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR?

From the author of the massive bestseller CLOSE TO HOME, comes the second pulse-pounding DI Fawley crime thriller.

A woman and child are found locked in a basement room, barely alive.

No one knows who they are — the woman can't speak, and there are no missing persons reports that match their profile. The elderly man who
Kindle Edition, UK edition, 444 pages
Published July 12th 2018 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, please sign up.
Amanda Barrett In the second there was a very brief mention to the case in the first but there was a brief description of what happened in the first case anyway and …moreIn the second there was a very brief mention to the case in the first but there was a brief description of what happened in the first case anyway and had no real relevance to the second book.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Arlene
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  10,025 ratings  ·  1,013 reviews

Start your review of In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
Maureen
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
The finger of suspicion has a tremendous workout right the way through to the conclusion of ‘In The Dark’, pointing out numerous suspects along the way, ensuring that the reader remains utterly gripped from the word go.

The second in the DI Adam Fawley series gets off to a riveting start, with the discovery of a young woman and a child in the cellar of a former academic (who incidentally exhibits all the signs of dementia). It seems that they have been held captive, and the woman in particular is
Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February)
Wow! In the Dark is an impressive police procedural with a captivating mystery. I thought that this was going to be a typical procedural that focused more on characterization than the mystery, but it was so much more! The characters are compelling and the mystery is freaking fantastic!!

DI Fawley and his team are brought in to investigate when a young girl and a two-year-old child are rescued from being held as prisoners in a basement for several years in an exclusive neighborhood in Oxford,
Chelsea Humphrey
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Penguin Books
Shelves: from-publisher
Sometimes you just need to pick up a super dark crime thriller and roll with it.

Las year, I had the pleasure of winning a finished copy of Cara Hunter's first DI Adam Fawley novel Close To Home via Goodreads. I'm a sucker for a good police procedural, and find that I require the detail of the various detectives' personal lives to be just as intriguing as the case that they are solving. I was won over immediately with the flawed protagonists and the twisty case that left me scratching my brain a
Peter
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Probing
In the Dark is a very intelligent and brilliantly realised crime mystery. DI Adam Fawley returns in this second book from Cara Hunter, to lead a complex police investigation involving murder, kidnapping, false imprisonment, rape, theft and a few other crimes. It is a smart, highly charged and engrossing story with surprises and dead-ends galore.

New owners of a house in an exclusive area of Oxford are undertaking renovation work in their basement when they inadvertently knock a hole throug
Richard
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-series
In the Dark by Cara Hunter is the second outing for DI Adam Fawley and his team and a very exciting one it is too!
A young woman and child are found locked in the basement of a large house belonging to a very confused old man. It seems they’ve been imprisoned for years in dark, dank, inhuman conditions.
A few years earlier, a young woman, a BBC reporter, who lived nearby, mysteriously went missing. Are the two cases connected?
This thriller/ police procedural series set in Oxford, is fast becoming
Paromjit
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a darned good mix of psychological thriller and police procedural from Cara Hunter. I liked it much more than the first, which in my view was too far fetched, in the DI Adam Fawley series set in Oxford. A young woman and toddler are discovered locked in a cellar whilst the house next door is being renovated in a wealthy part of North Oxford. The woman, Vicky, and child are in a desperate state, starved, thirsty, cannot bear being with each other, and are too traumatised to speak for some ...more
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She opens her eyes to darkness as close as a blindfold. To the heaviness of cold dank air that hadn't been breathed in a long time.

Her other senses lurch awake. The dripping silence, the cold, the smell. Mildew and something else she can't yet place, something animal and fetid. She moves her fingers, feeling grit and wet under her jeans. It's coming back to her - how she got here, why this happened.

How could she have been so stupid?

She stifles the acrid rush of panic and tries to sit
Amanda
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Wow that beginning certainly throws a punch. You have certainly got my attention!!!

A woman and a child are found in a cellar owned by Dr William Harper who incidentally has Dementia. The woman Vicky and her child are in a desperate state, dehydrated, starved.

Loved that this book kept me on my toes with lots of suspects along the way. There are lots of twists and it is a fast paced thriller. At first it seems like an open and shut case but as the story unfolds it is revealed to be grittier and d
Ken
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having just discovered the DI Adam Fawley series, I’ve found myself completely hooked!

I’ve read a fair amount of police procedural mysteries, but what made this one completely standout was the narrative structure of no chapter breaks - which leads to a great real time feel to the story.
There’s plenty of newspaper cuttings and police interview transcripts littered through that narrative that really helps to drive the plot forward.
It also helped that the story was instantly gripping too!

This case
Brenda
The owner of the home which was being renovated was angry – furious in fact. One of the workmen had knocked a hole in the wall of the cellar and he was moaning about the delays; his costs; incompetence – everything was an issue. It was when he went to the cellar to look at the damage that he received the shock. There was a face in the hole – he immediately telephoned the police.

It was obvious the woman and boy discovered in the cellar of the house next door had been locked up for a long time. T
Mackey
"She opens her eyes to darkness as close as a blindfold"

Cara Hunter is back with her second, equally enthralling, psychological thriller In The Dark. It is rare for a second book to be just as good as, if not better than, the first but Hunter has succeeded with this twisty, very unexpected dark tale.

When a young woman and child are found in a basement and an old man suffering from dementia is found in a stupor upstairs, my first thoughts went to ROOM. I honestly thought this was going to be ano
Lisa
Feb 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
WOWZA In The Dark is a compelling complex police procedural that i could not stop reading, the characters a complex yet have flaws but it was so enjoyable to read.

DI Adam Frawley & his team investigate a woman who was kept in a cellar with her 2 year old son, the woman was malnourished clothed eyes open but close to death, the investigation opens a former case that was never solved another woman found in 33 Frampton Road years earlier.

As the investigation intensifies the suspects are endless al
 Li'l Owl
Twists Everywhere! What?! I did not see THAT coming!

She opens her eyes to darkness as close as a blindfold. To the heaviness of old dank air that hasn’t been breathed for a long time.
Her other senses lurch awake. The dripping silence, the cold, the smell. Mildew and something else she can’t yet place, something animal and fetid. She moves her fingers, feeling grit and wet under her jeans. It’s coming back to her now – how she got here, why this happened.
How could she have been so stupid.
She s
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
Extract-In-The-Dark-Cara-Hunter

4 Stars
Arc Book Review
Release Date-12/7/18

Really enjoyed this one; which actually surprised me because initially upon first embarking on "In The Dark" I found it a bit of a chore to get into.
In retrospect, I think it was the many POV's that I had teething issues with, I just found it a tad difficult to separate the many characters perspectives.
Losing my way slightly and getting turned around on who was who and also whose head we were inhabiting at any given time.
It was just slightly tedious init
NZLisaM
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, crime, mystery
DI Adam Fawley is back for round two, and this crime is just as shockingly disturbing as the Daisy Mason case.

In a quiet, prestigious, suburban neighbourhood, the owner of a property undergoing renovations, breaks through his cellar wall, and to his shock sees a face staring back at him. Breaking down the door, police find a young woman and toddler locked in a cellar room. The state of the place suggests the woman has been held prisoner for years, has possibly given birth there, but both mother
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
In The Dark is a solid sequel to Close to Home. In fact, I enjoyed this one more than the last. It is much more believable and the ending is very good. I had issues with both of these things in the first of the series. It’s nice to see Hunter improve as the series goes on. You do not need to have read the first in order to read this sequel. It reads like a standalone, although you see the return of several characters.

It’s been less than a year since book one. A young woman and child are found
Helga
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: british, mystery, crime, series
While renovating a house, the builders accidentally destroy the next door neighbor’s basement wall and find a young woman and a little boy fighting for their lives.
The owner of the house is a retired university professor who is battling dementia. He claims he has never seen the woman and child before, but every evidence the police finds, points at him being the culprit.
Is someone framing the professor or is he really responsible for this heinous crime? Would the victim eventually tell the polic
The Book Review Café
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Last year I read Close To Home the debut novel from Cara Hunter which I thought was a pretty amazing crime thriller. In The Dark the second book in the DI Fawley series has made this an unmissable series. Yes it can easily be read as a standalone but because this is shaping up to be a such a gripping series it’s definitely worth starting at the beginning. In The Dark opens with a belter of chapter, A young woman and a child are found locked in a cellar, William Harper the owner is an elderly man ...more
Faith
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, overdrive
A young woman and her toddler son are discovered locked and starving in the basement of a house owned by an elderly man with dementia. The police begin to suspect that her imprisonment is related to the earlier disappearance of a young mother. Obviously criminal activity is involved and three men are under suspicion. However, it’s not just the perpetrator that is unknown, the actual nature of the crime or crimes is also in question. This book is full of twists, the pace is quick and the plot kep ...more
Stephen Clynes
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Okay, this is the second in the DI Adam Fawley series but it can be read as a standalone. You do not need to know what happened in the first book. This is a good move by Cara Hunter. Yes, the old characters from the first novel who work in or for Thames Valley Police are carried forward and as I had just finished Close to Home, this continuation simply added further pleasure to my enjoyment of this book.

In The Dark is a police procedural set around Oxford. A young woman and a small child are fou
Natalie M
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The second instalment of Hunter’s DI Fawley series packs a much greater, more authentic punch than the first. I usually have an inkling as to the where a story is going to end up but I was taken totally unawares by this resolution.

Set in Oxford, England the plot begins with the location of her mother and young child who are locked in a cellar. Hunter masterfully provides a number of plausible suspects. This is interwoven with the underlying theme of dementia in one home and the struggles of rais
Adrienne
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. The seemingly impossible scenarios all seemed plausible. The various ends for the various plots and sub plots - all made sense, retrospectively.
Very well written, it had me guessing from the start. Unputdownable
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
In The Dark is the second book in the DI Fawley series. I wouldn't say it was necessary to have read the first book in the series but I highly recommend it as this is turning out to be an absolutely brilliant crime series.

I have no idea how the author comes up with these amazing cases. They are anything but straight forward and the twists and turns just kept coming. I basically read the book in two sittings and only put it down to get some much needed sleep and was straight back to reading it as
Michelle
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Netgalley and Penguin Books (UK) for a copy of this books. In the Dark is the second novel in the DI Fawley series. I read the first one so I was looking forward to this This can also be read as a standalone as there is only minor references of the first one.
A young woman and a child are found locked in the cellar, tied up in William Harper’s home. She has been kept a prisoner and has given birth to the child. William Harper is an elderly man with Dementia and he can’t remember how the
Tracy Fenton
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having finished and LOVED Close to Home, I immediately downloaded In the Dark and started reading it instantly despite have 411 other books on my kindle.

In The Dark follows on from Close to Home and once again the author cleverly uses social media as mini chapters throughout the story bringing the reader up to speed on the case through the eyes of the public.  This particular case is topical as it is about a young woman and her child found locked in a basement of an elderly man.  DI Adam Fawley
Amelia Strydom
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Every bit as fantastic as Close to Home, if not better.
Rachel Hall
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cara Hunter’s debut part police procedural and psychological thriller introduced the unassuming and scrupulously thorough DI Adam Fawley and his team based at Thames Valley Police in Oxford and proved a notable entry into the crime fiction market. Close To Home had a very distinctive feel with its rolling narrative and fly on the wall level of insight into a real-time police investigation and ensured rapid-fire plot development. Within the largely first-person present tense narrative of DI Fawle ...more
Joanne Robertson
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read and loved Close to Home, it was a given that I would want to read the second book in the DI Adam Fawley series and a worthy follow up it is! This is shaping up to be a must read series and, although this can be read very easily as a standalone novel, it’s well worth starting at the beginning. But you certainly don’t need anything from Close to Home to improve your enjoyment of In The Dark and you won’t feel in the dark yourself if you want to dive straight into book two instead!

This
Thebooktrail
In the Dark

Visit the books locations

Oh my dear goodness. When I found out what the neighbours had in fact been up to, at the end of the first chapter no less, I almost screamed, so vivid was the image. That’s just the start. It gets a whole lot weirder and creepy from that point on.

I enjoyed Cara’s first book but this is just out of the water! It gets very dark very quickly with creepy hills, birds, legends. I’m going to stop there as you have to discover this for yourself. Blinking good is what I’m call
Kathleen
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
‘What a tangled web one weaves, when first one practices to deceive.” Hunter’s second installment in the DI Adam Fawley police procedural series is all about deception and obfuscation, and it will take all the investigative skills of DI Fawley, DS Gareth Quinn, DC Chris Gislingham, and PC Erica Somer to uncover the truth hidden under a myriad of lies.

It all begins with the discovery of an emaciated woman and toddler locked in the basement of an elderly man who suffers from Alzheimer’s. The woman
Spoiler alert: ending 1 1 5 hours, 1 min ago
Audio Version? 1 1 Mar 01, 2021 05:17PM

• De usynlige (Nora Sand #5)
  • Mand uden ansigt
  • Løgn i din hals: En Hvid  Belling-krimi
  • The Puppet Show (Washington Poe, #1)
  • Hundeungerne
  • Den kinesiske tvilling
  • Sleep
  • Strangers
  • The Catch
  • Black Summer (Washington Poe, #2)
  • Blood Orange
  • Låst
  • The Other Passenger
  • The Holiday
  • All Fall Down (Helen Grace, #9)
  • Poison on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery Book 7)
  • Found
Cara Hunter is a writer who lives in Oxford, in a street not unlike those featured in her series of crime books. Close to Home is her debut featuring DI Adam Fawley, and her second, In the Dark, is coming soon.

DI Adam Fawley (5 books)
  • Close to Home (DI Adam Fawley, #1)
  • No Way Out (DI Adam Fawley, #3)
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Whole Truth (DI Adam Fawley, #5)

News & Interviews

“Occam’s razor. Always believe the simplest of all available explanations.” 1 likes
“His name is Colin Boddie. And yes, I know, that’s not funny. Only it is; of course it is. He’s heard the gags so many times he’s developed his own brand of pathological humour to go with it. It can sound crass, if you don’t know him, but it’s just a form of carapace. A way to keep the horror at bay. And what they’ve got here – despite the daylight and all the busy professional apparatus – is still the stuff of nightmares.” 0 likes