Start by marking “Standstill” as Want to Read:
Standstill

Standstill

Looking for a gripping crime thriller full of twists? Then try J.A. Marley's unmissable debut, Standstill.

Even the deadliest criminals leave a trail…

When a psychotic policeman drags the young, ambitious thief, Danny Felix out of bed, he could not imagine he was about to be plunged into the robbery of a lifetime.

Corruption and coercion follow the corrupt Detective Inspecto
Published January 11th 2018 by Bloodhound Books

To ask other readers questions about Standstill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Standstill

Start your review of Standstill
Dash fan
5☆ A Gripping, Fresh and Enthralling Crime Thriller.

Standstill is J.A. Marley debut novel and wow was it a good one.

Standstill is a fresh new twist on a Crime  Thriller. It had crooked cops, drama, Thrilling, unforgettable characters, it was gripping, Very cleverly thought out and written. I loved it!!

For me what made it stand out was.... for once a detective/cop was ruling the underworld... Harkness ruled with fear and knowledge.
As with great knowledge becomes great power!

When Dectective Inspe
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What an exciting debut novel this is.

Danny is one of those cheeky rogues that you just can’t help but fall that little bit in love with. You know you should probably steer well clear but there’s just something about him that grabs your attention and before you know it, he’s hooked you. I did feel a bit sorry for him even though he does tend to spend a lot of time on the wrong side of the law but he does have a big heart.

Christine Chance has a lot going on in her personal life. As heart breaking
Liz Barnsley
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really rather enjoyed this one! I do like a bit of a change from the standard this did the trick nicely. Great main character, banging story.
Full review to follow.
Yvonne
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tour-book
Danny Felix is a thief, he is a good thief. But when dirty cop D.I. Harkness raids his flat and doesn’t give him a choice but to work for him, Danny realises he is on uncertain ground. Danny knows in his gut that working for a dirty cop is not going to be a good relationship. Add into this story a flying squad officer Christine Chance, she is torn between work and her critically ill daughter. Christine has had a great lead and result on a crime, but when more information comes forward regarding ...more
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Standstill is a gritty and dark UK crime novel which follows a corrupt cop and an ambitious thief as they plan a crime the scale of which neither has seen before. What follows is a pacy and hard-boiled journey into the depths of London and the lengths to which people will go to get what they want.

I was gripped by Standstill early on. I became invested in Danny, and even for all of his bad decisions, I was still rooting for him the whole way through. As a character, he is really interesting. For
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
Standstill is well written, easy to read and fast paced. It is a gripping story throughout which builds up into an explosive finale. Detective Chance is busy trying her hardest to crack the case but she also has her own personal problems to attend too during the case. I actually felt so sorry for how much Detective Chance went through.

Danny’s character is full of arrogance, power and he thinks he can get away with anything… But can he? This story is sure to keep you on your toes and one I highl
Samantha
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn’t get on with this book, try as I might. There are a huge number of wonderful reviews for this novel and I really thought I’d enjoy it, but I just didn’t. I think it’s perhaps more ‘me’ than it is the book, especially going by the reviews.

I disliked all of the characters and found it was too busy. You’ve got a ‘jack the lad’ style protagonist who is just annoying. A crazy cop who seems to be missing marbles as opposed to brilliant. And then to top it off, a good cop with a terminally il
Alexina
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are led through the storytelling with Danny, a character who is a criminal, a protagonist that usually would be the bad guy. In this instance he has more than met his match, but his match is attached to the Law and there is no where for Danny to turn.
This really is a game of cat and mouse, between Danny and his nemesis.
Getting to know Chance in one of life's most horrendous situations gave a freshness and a great way to learn about this character out side of work.
The setting in London was r
Stephanie
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that stood out about Standstill was how refreshing it was. Danny Felix is a thief who is forced by a crooked police officer into carrying out a very large robbery. One that will bring London to a standstill. Harkness, the corrupt cop is a nasty piece of work. He is violent and a bully who won’t take no for an answer. Christine Chance is a member of the flying squad, her team have recently solved a series of cases and she is starting to get suspicious about their luck. She also ha ...more
Donna Maguire

I was really surprised when I realised that this was the author's debut, it reads more like a book from a well established author with several works of this very competitive genre under their belt!

The plot had me hooked right from the outset, I was intrigued and wasn't sure where the book would take us, but wherever it was going I was certainly up for the ride! Harkness is a brilliant character and I was routing for Christine throughout but I really enjoye
Mark Wilson
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Standstill is an invigorating read that feels like it is adding something quite fresh, modern and fun into an often tired and clichéd genre.

J.A. Marley writes with all the technical skill and self- assurance of a seasoned writer whilst managing to make his characters, plot and dialogue feel vital, realistic and utterly connected to the plot which unfolds at pace throughout this novel. For a debut author Marley’s ability to tell a story, which he fires relentlessly at the reader, is notable.
Writ
Mark Tilbury
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a crime action thriller with a difference. The protagonist (Danny,) is a criminal who comes across as quite a likeable character. Harkness, the antagonist, is the kind of copper that you hope you never have investigating crimes against you. He’s a very nasty piece of work. Danny is forced into committing a large robbery that could bring London to a standstill, and try as he might, it seems as though Harkness is always one step ahead of him making sure he’s doing as he’s told.

This is a ve
Shell Baker
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG I am so excited that there is a new Grit Lit author in town!!! Those of you that follow my reviews will know that I am a massive fan of Grit Lit and this book is just that. Standstill is the author’s debut novel and what a corker it is. I still cannot believe it is a debut novel, talk about impressive..

Set in Criminal underworld of London we follow a game of cat and mouse.We all love a bad boy don't we?! (speaking to the ladies that is) LOL we meet lovable rogue Danny Felix who I loved and I
Jeff
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Danny Felix is an exceptionally good thief. Detective Inspector Harkness is an exceptionally bad and corrupt copper (he kills two of Danny's associates and buries them in concrete in the first couple of chapters). Harkness "persuades" Danny to plan and execute an armed robbery - £21,000,000 or thereabouts - in the middle of London. To do this Danny enlists the help of various other criminals, including an Irish bomber.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable book about a brilliant heist. It was packed f
Gwen Samson
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thriller

Had a hard time getting into this book and it was a slog. It has a good story line but a bit choppy. Sorry J A Marley. Did not like this one but please give this book a try. Do not be influenced by me
Sue Wallace
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
standstill by Ja Marley.
Danny Felix is a thief.
Detective inspector harkness offers him a deal. a robbery of a lifetime. can he do it and get away?
a fantastic read. Loved Danny. didn't like harkness at all. I had my own theory how this would end. I loved the ending too. 5*.
Chris Nolan
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again I am grateful to Bloodhound Books for letting me have an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest and fair review. J A Marley is a new writer to me and I am excited to see how his writing progresses as this is a fast-paced, intriguing and well-written thriller. There are two principal threads in the story each of which features an interesting and well-drawn detective, and eventually the two aspects of the tale interweave impressively. I particularly liked the frequent references to ...more
Angela Newby
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great debut novel. Really enjoyed this one and would definitely read more of his books
Kath
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure quite what I was really expecting when I started this book but I have to say that I was very satisfied with what I was given. We have criminals, terrorists, bent coppers, straight coppers, informants, and a really rather well planned heist all packed into what on page count isn't a particularly long book but the amount contained within proves that not a single word is wasted. No padding here, not at all. It's action packed all the way.
Our main boy here is one career criminal Danny
Susan Corcoran
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many thanks to the publisher Bloodhound Books, author J A Marley and blog tour organiser Sarah Hardy for the ARC copy of Standstill in return for an honest review.
Crime thrillers are a massively popular genre, which makes it difficult for any book to stand out among the thousands published each year. To succeed it needs to have an element that makes it different in some way from all the other highly enjoyable thrillers that the reader has to choose from. One such component is that the ‘hero’ is
Paula Stammers
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
What a great read. This has you gripped right from the start.

Danny is your loveable rogue who is a very talented thief. Despite the best efforts of the police he just always gets away with his crimes, he is one very intelligent thief who has a plan for everything. Unfortunately for Danny a cop by the name of Harkness has noticed this and decides that Danny is the ideal candidate to pull off a large robbery. Harkness is one terrifying character that you don’t want to mess with, there is definitel
Maria-Anne
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a way this is a fast read because you just don't want to put it down.
Danny might be a villain but you just can't help hoping he gets away with it. With Christine I actually cried when she was sitting with her daughter that last time. You just knew how awful the situation was. Basically keeping her mind occupied with work was the only way for her not to go completely to pieces.
The story felt real. The characters felt real. Suddenly you became part of the whole story. Highly recommend reading
Carole Gourlay
Wow what a story teller! Can’t believe this is a debut nove. It is better than some established authors.

Wow what a story teller! Can’t believe this is a debut novel. It is better than some established authors. It really is a page turner.

The characters are likeable, except Harkness who you’d like to do something really nasty to!! I did like Danny he was a loveable rogue and the story was so well thought out and the detail was amazing.

I hope the author might consider writing a sequel, would lov
Barbara J Maich
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cat and Mouse thriller

Based in LOndon one of the best thieves was approached by a mean looking copper. This special crimes division cop was a really bad copper and forcefully took Danny the their under his wing. He was mean and face with death or doing what the large copper wanted. Lots of action with many twist and turns as that's two adversaries worked together on a project. Danny knew that he was probably going to be eliminated at some point, the planning began. A great thriller.
Melanie Lewis
I'm definitely in the minority with Standstill, as all I've seen is rave reviews. So I'm sure it's me and not the book. There is no issue with the writing, which is good and flows well. I simply didn't bond with any of the characters, especially weird was CC and her dying daughter, without a friend or family member in the world to support her, and going back to work almost immediately following the funeral.
It didn't work for me, sorry
Jo
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Standstill is a crime novel with a difference and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The lines between good and evil are cleverly blurred in this gripping tale of crime and corruption. It's a fast paced read with lots of action but ultimately has characters that we care about.

Set in the heart of London, the novel revolves around three central characters, all of whom intrigued me. We have the corrupt and psychotic policeman, Detective Inspector Harkness, who on paper we should loathe, but there is a certai
Liz Nealon
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Aemorable Heist!

Marley's book reads like an action movie, propelled forward by the elaborate planning of a likable master thief. Authentic characters from the British and Irish disenfranchised classes abound. Fun read.
Pam Madson
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book

I really like the story. It had a lot of action and it was very suspenseful. It was hard to read at times because of the language and words used because it was in London. Hard to follow but it was really a good book
Geoff. Lamb
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very dark story well told.
Andrew Lone
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book great storyline

• Open Grave (DCI Jack Lambert, #1)
  • The Missing Children (DI Kayli Bright Trilogy, #1)
  • The Keeper
  • 17 Cavendish Square (DCI Mike Saxby, #1)
  • Black Quarry Farm (DI Angus Henderson, #8)
  • The Millionaire's Wife
  • Death's Silent Judgement
  • Misplaced Loyalty (Meredith & Hodge, #1)
  • Sins of the Father: A Mafia Thriller (The Consentino Crime Saga Book 1)
  • Righteous Assassin (Mike Stoneman #1)
  • My Little Eye (Starke & Bell, #1)
  • The Looters
  • The Death Chamber (The Detective's Daughter, #6)
  • Crackdown
  • Gallows Drop (DCI Kate Daniels, #6)
  • False Witness (DC Maggie Neville, #3)
  • Meghan and Harry: The Real Story
  • The Caravaggio Conspiracy
John A. Marley was born in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Following early success as a film journalist and radio broadcaster in his homeland, he embarked on an accomplished career in television production in England. An avid film fan, John is addicted to crime and mystery thrillers and is passionate about walking his two dogs, discovering new music and travel.