Start by marking “Black Panther: Panther's Quest” as Want to Read:
Black Panther: Panther's Quest

Black Panther: Panther's Quest

(Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #13-37)

Collects material from Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #13-37.

A Black Panther epic by one of his signature writers, Don McGregor, and true artistic legend Gene Colan! He is T'Challa, strong, sleek, resilient - prowling the night with panther-like grace! And this is his quest - a stealth mission in South Africa, following rumors that the mother he never knew may still be aliv
Published December 27th 2017 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Black Panther, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Panther

Start your review of Black Panther: Panther's Quest
Callum Waterhouse
As I write this review, it has been less than a week since Jacob Zuma's resignation as President of South Africa. Sitting here, thousands of miles and over two decades away from the realities of Apartheid, it feel almost impossible to imagine a time when such monstrous injustices were committed. It feels even harder to imagine a time when such actions were condoned, in some cases even supported, by so-called civilized nations around the world.

To understand the 1988 Marvel Comics mini-series Bla
C. Varn
This volume is harder to review than many: It is very much of its time and yet very ambitious for its time. Gene Collin's art is very 1980s period art. His figure work feels of the time period, but he is clearly a master of it. Indeed, he is one of the artists that set the tone for the times although, by 1988, the styles of Marvel were beginning to pivot strongly away from it. Furthermore, while not entirely as political in the early days of Kirby's run, Black Panther has always been the Marvel ...more
Diz
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This comic is laudable in that it addresses the current, at the time of its publication, issues of apartheid South Africa. Unfortunately, the issues are buried in dense text. This is typical of comics published at that time, but this seemed more difficult to get through than most other comics from that period that I have read. This is further complicated by an overabundance of exposition. The writer goes out of his way to tell you exactly what each character is thinking at every moment, which re ...more
Brandon
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Black Panther searches for his lost mother, and ends up fighting the Apartheid as things get more and more complicated! This isn't a follow-up to McGregor's earlier work with Panther's Rage, but the characterization and style of writing follows through. This is less of an action-adventure and more of a grueling political commentary about racism and hateful government. The biggest weakness is probably the actual plot of T'Challa searching for his mother, which shows up time and time again but ...more
Fraser Sherman
As a fan of McGregor's "Panther's Rage" run, I couldn't pass up this collection, drawn from a late-eighties anthology book. For years, T'Challa assumed his mother was dead; now he gets word she's alive and imprisoned in South Africa. Despite the risk of an international incident, he goes in to find her. But does she really want him too?
While I enjoy McGregor's down-to-Earth Black Panther, at times he's a little too ordinary here for my taste. But then, he's not going against supervillains but ag
Luiz Santiago
Crítica | Pantera Negra: A Busca do Pantera
B
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
McGregor does a great job with mood and tension, but I think this story is really harmed by the fact that it was told in small chapters. The other thing that makes this story hard to buy is the Christopher Priest run.

Here, the Black Panther is just a man who is very determined. And his big adversary is a tall, athletic white dude who likes Looney Tunes. That's it. Post-Priest Panther would have sliced open his achilles' tendons from 20 yards.

Also, I didn't know there was a time when Ramonda wa
Nicholas Ahlhelm
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don McGregor is always a little TOO verbose, but this collection of his Marvel Comics Presents tale with superstar artist Gene Colan is worth the price of admission. While this is far from the later day Panther we get from Marvel post-Christopher Priest, the tale of the Panther loose in apartheid South Africa in search of his mother is a powerful one.

Even if the history lesson isn't enough for you, Colan's art shines on every page, meaning this is one of the most visually stunning Panther tales
Adam Graham
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Panther's Quest is a 1980s mini-series written by Don Macgregor who wrote the epic Panther's Rage back in the 1970s. The series was serialized in the weekly marvel premiere magazine which generally featured 8-page installments. The thesis of the story is that T-Challa goes to South Africa in search of his mother, and meets with an informant who has information only to run into militias and deal firsthand with the oppression in South Africa during Apartheid.

There are many legitimate criticisms of
Maddy Hayes
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I’m not South African, so I’m reading this from an outsider’s perspective.

I loved it. This is definitely way more than a 3.5 star book, anyway, which was what the rating was when I started the collection. First, the art is stunning. Can’t really say more about that.

Second, I read way more novels than comics, so the narration I’ve seen people complain about didn’t bother me. In fact, I think it added to it, especially describing the more violent sequences. I won’t spoil anything, bu
Devero
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Apparso su Marvel Comics Presents come serial di 8 pagine alla volta, questa storia di Pantera Nera è profondamente integrata nella situazione politica del Sudafrica di fine anni '80, con l'apartheid e la rivoluzione pacifica (o quasi) di Mandela che stava per arrivare.
La storia è un pretesto per parlare di politica e razzismo, supremazia bianca, odio (non sempre giustificato) tra popoli. Si tratta di una storia estremamente verbosa e difficile da leggere anche all'epoca, a tratti decisamente no
Chris W
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just doesn't feel like Black Panther. He gets beat up constantly by normal people, has no gadgets, suit isn't made from vibrainium and you never see him embrace his tactical mindset. It's also extremely verbose despite the art being good and vivid enough to capture the thoughts and emotions described.
The main good thing about this issue is the dark but powerful commentary on the Apartied and 1980s South Africa. Other than that it isn't a good Black Panther story.
He could easily be replaced with
ISMOTU
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don McGregor teams with the incomparable Gene Colan for a topical, powerful, and significant tale of the Black Panther. McGregor wrote T'Challa's first solo series in the pages of Jungle Action back in the 70's and in the late 80's was given another chance to weave into the tapestry of Black Panther's history and I enjoyed it. It's very heavy but not depressing, of course I'm not sure how it would've felt during the days of apartheid. Certainly worth a read.
Andy Zell
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
There's a lot to like in this tale of T'Challa searching to find his mother Ramonda in apartheid South Africa. It highlights the brutal and oppressive regime in 1980s South Africa. I'm enjoying digging more into Black Panther's history after seeing the movie, and I was fortunate that my library has been expanding their comics collection.
Matt Sautman
Much like McGregor’s earlier run, Panther’s Quest is ambitious yet rendered problematic by an Orientalist take on African culture. The book is super interesting as an artifact of anti-apartheid comics but from a critical race perspective, yet Panther’s Quest suffers from McGregor’s oversimplified portrayal of South Africa and Africans.
Matheus Gonçalves
Queria ter gostado mais. Premissa incrível, narrativa datada e muitos elementos repetitivos durante a história.
Mike Keskeys
Jun 27, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Flash: United They Fall
  • Doctor Who: The Tenth Doctor (2015-) #1
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Damage Control: The Complete Collection
  • Divided We Fall: America's Secession Threat and How to Restore Our Nation
  • Avengers Epic Collection Vol. 24: The Gatherers Strike!
  • Spider-Man: The Gathering of Five
  • Naomi: Season One
  • Doctor Who Series III, Vol. 4: Dead Man's Hand
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
  • Black Panther Epic Collection Vol. 2: Revenge of the Black Panther
  • Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion
  • Green Lantern: Earth One, Vol. 2
  • Dick Tracy Forever
  • Bleach―ブリーチ― 66 [Burīchi 66] (Bleach, #66)
  • Bleach―ブリーチ― 65 [Burīchi 65] (Bleach, #65)
  • Bleach―ブリーチ― 64 [Burīchi 64] (Bleach, #64)
  • Bleach―ブリーチ― 68 [Burīchi 68] (Bleach, #68)
Donald Francis McGregor is an American comic book writer best known for his work for Marvel Comics, and the author of one of their first graphic novels.

Marvel Comics Presents (1988) (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Marvel Comics Presents #26