Start by marking “The Cannibal Queen: A Flight Into The Heart Of America” as Want to Read:
The Cannibal Queen: A Flight Into The Heart Of America

The Cannibal Queen: A Flight Into The Heart Of America

Stephen Coonts has been hailed as the best contemporary author writing about flying. In The Cannibal Queen, he turns his storytelling genius to nonfiction with an exultant account of three glorious months in the summer of ‘91 spent in the cockpit of a 1942 Stearman vintage biplane. Joining the ranks of John Steinbeck and Charles Kuralt, Coonts takes us on an extraordinary ...more
Published August 1st 1999 by Gallery Books (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Cannibal Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cannibal Queen

Start your review of The Cannibal Queen: A Flight Into The Heart Of America
Dave Monti
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Excellent travelogue written by the man who wrote Flight of the Intruders (BTW, book is MUCH better than the movie!) As a licensed pilot, it made me ACHE to fly across the country in an open cockpit plane!
Clay Davis
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
A fun book about a man's love of flying.
Ben
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book. Not great but certainly entertaining. You really have to have a background in aviation to understand some of the author's references. Not a very philosophically deep book but I did enjoy it.
Susan
Jul 09, 2019 added it
Summer 1991 about a trip to all 48 States in a biplane by the author
Ann Amadori
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Same old same old chapter after chapter
Bob
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-read-books
I’ve always wanted a Stearman.
Kent
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading!

Stephen Coonts flies, discovers America, and it's still a place worth loving.

I would love to follow in his footsteps, but until I can, I have the Cannibal Queen.
George
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Did you ever have a passion in life that you wished your children shared, but they just weren't into it? Imagine planning an adventure-of-a-lifetime with your son and having him react with a yawn. Well then, meet Stephen Coonts. How he eventually wins him over is an underlying theme of this book.

This is one part Travels with Charlie and one part Stranger to the Ground. It is an endearing diary of a father and son bonding on a three month, cross country flight in an open cockpit Stearman. Along t
John P
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a true story of a flight through 48 states in a Stearman biplane over a particular summer. As an ex-pilot, I really enjoyed the story and felt like I was in the Stearman with the author. This book is not an edge-of-your-seat kind of story but a leisurely one that can be read over a long period. I usually have three or four books going at the same time and I read this one over a three year period (very leisurely). An enjoyable read indeed.
Aaron Ash
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: flight enthusiasts
Shelves: digital-library
In retrospect, this is one of the most boring books I've read. There is no plot. The story doesn't have much flow. Many things are repeated to the point where the author might have been using cut and paste heavily.
But I never found myself bored. I never questioned whether I was going to keep reading. I enjoyed the descriptions of America and flight and would read another book like this.

I borrowed this e-book from Nevada Public Library.
Andy
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
A neighbor of mine gave this to me because he knew I enjoysed "Travels" by Michael Crichton. I had no idea who Stephen Coonts was but really enjoyed this simple but touching father/son relationship narrative. It turns out Stephen Coonts writes aviation-focused, Tom Clancy-esque techno-thrillers. Tried a couple but they didn't hold my interest like this book.
David Strawbridge
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read, 2019-read
Phenomenal. I would add this story to the likes of Fate is the Hunter (which I must re-read now) in the halls of aviation rites of passage. To think of flying a Stearman to all the lower 48 is a dream. Well written and a story truly lived. This will be one I read and re-read for years. Very well done.
Troy
Nov 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
An oldie but goodie - I've read this several times over the years, partly for the flying, partly for the depiction of America. What was interesing this time was the passage of time. A LOT has changed in the aviation world since 1991 when this trip took place, and the comparisons to modern-day are intriguing, given it's been less than 20 years.
Tom
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently re-read this book and enjoyed it the second time as much as the first. I very much enjoyed the adventure in familiar mountain passes of Washington State where I live. I also enjoyed the story of this father spending time with his son. Those are two snippets that don't dominate this book but they hooked me and brought the story home for me.
Ghoover318
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
"What I did on my summer vacation" and about as exciting.
Richp
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This gets a 4* from me because I am into this stuff, both the travel in small town USA, and flying books.
Kenneth Flusche
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read shortly after 9/11 when could not read my normal stuff since real world trumped fiction. A true story written by a good manly man adventure writer.
Bob
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: flight
Wonderful accounts of flying, and interesting glimpses into the life of a popular writer.
Daniel Sullivan
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Thanks for the adventure Steve. I'd love to fly across the country in a Stearman!
James
May 23, 2017
Kathy
Sep 26, 2008

• Flight of Passage: A True Story
  • The Race (Isaac Bell, #4)
  • Iceberg (Dirk Pitt, #3)
  • Last Day
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre
  • Havana Storm (Dirk Pitt, #23)
  • Fate Is the Hunter
  • Tan Lines
  • Pierce the Veil: From Put-in-Bay to Wall Street
  • Atlantis Found (Dirk Pitt, #15)
  • Rainbow's End
  • Poseidon's Arrow (Dirk Pitt, #22)
  • The Other Side of Hell (Emerson Moore)
  • When Rainbows Walk
  • Sandustee: The Search for the Nazarene's Code
  • Crescent Dawn (Dirk Pitt, #21)
  • Zenobia: The Patriot Way
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent

News & Interviews