Start by marking “Liars & Thieves (Tommy Carmellini #1)” as Want to Read:
Liars & Thieves (Tommy Carmellini #1)

Liars & Thieves

(Tommy Carmellini #1)

Unafraid to walk both sides of the law to attain his goals, CIA operative Tommy Carmellini is sent to post guard duty at a farmhouse in West Virginia. When he arrives, he finds the guards shot dead and a ruthless team of American commandos killing everyone in sight. Carmellini escapes in a hail of bullets with what seems to be the sole survivor-a stunningly attractive tran ...more
Published May 3rd 2005 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Liars & Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liars & Thieves

Darlene
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Book I have read by Stephen Coonts and I definitely will be reading more. What a thrilling ride this was with a great cast of characters. Tommy Carmellini, the main character, is lovable and charming, a little crude at times, but still very lovable. There is also Willie, very gruff and cranky, but also very lovable; Jake the Admiral, very smart, I would definitely want him on my side if things went bad; The Admirals wife Callie, a smart, tuff woman; Sarah the genius hacker; and ...more
Marla
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Liars and Thieves is Stephen Coonts as you've never seen him before-a story as chilling as it is unforgettable. Tommy Carmellini, a CIA operative who is unafraid to walk both sides of the law to attain his objective, uncovers a dark conspiracy that leads to the highest levels of the American government-and to a ruthless manipulator who will stop at nothing to keep a decades-old secret.

Liars and Thieves opens as Carmellini is sent to post guard duty at a farmhouse in West Virginia's remote Allegh
Kevin
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Don Mitchell
May 22, 2009 rated it liked it
I listened to the audible.com recording of this book as background to a long road trip, chores, and other mindless activity. As a distractor, this book suited its purpose well. It has a prototypical fast plot, some mild sex, and the standard hopeless situation. No deus ex machina. The character development is decent for the genre but still fairly one-dimensional. The technology is good—no miracles.

I was reading The Plot Against America while listening to this. They were fairly similar in presen
Aneesha
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in Tommy Carmellini series. Tommy is burglar turned CIA agent. Tommy was introduced in Stephen Coonts Jake Grafton series. Jake Grafton helps Tommy in this story.

The story was good. This story is inspired by one of the KGB archivists who escaped Russia with six suitcase full of classified information.

I enjoyed reading and i really loved the characters. It had all sort of CIA stuffs, politics, betrayal and rogue spies. It had lot of suspense and i liked the ending. The re
Mike
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm a late-comer to Stephen Coonts books. Having exhausted Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum, I gave up trying to find a good action-suspense series of books. Coonts books of Tommy Carmellini and Jake Grafton have reawkened my love of good action-suspense, spy, good-guy-vs-bad-guy books. This one shows Tommy Carmellini getting in to a mess he had nothing to do with -- and then getting out with the help of his buddy Grafton. The action is well written, the plot is easy to follow as Carmellini depends ...more
Greg Dill
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non-stop page-turner. Excellent story. Non-stop action. Unpredictable. All the makings of a great thriller. Read it in just a few days. Kind of had a Jason Bourne feeling to it as CIA agent Tommy Carmellini is mistakenly singled out by other agents and has a hit on his head. An element of mystery as Carmellini flees not knowing for certain who he can trust. Has several twists at the end of the story. I think I'm going to enjoy the Carmellini series and more by this author.
Bill Donhiser
I would be much better off reading these series in order, but that is not always how I come in contact with books. Having previously enjoyed (later) Tommy Carmellini adventures it was fun to read more of his background story. This is a well written military-political thriller with plenty of action. If you have ever read any, Stephen Coonts before you will know what I mean. Likewise if you like Tom Clancy, Dale Brown, etc This is a good book for you.
Gloria
Aug 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Burglar turned CIA agent Tommy Carmellini finds himself in a confusing and dangerous situation with no one to trust. This character and fast-paced plot will appeal to fans of the series "Burn Notice." Carmellini is a buff, smart and wisecracking guy who has to deal with beautiful women, thugs, rogue police officers and professional hitmen. This is a fun read overall, but does acquire a lot of dead bodies by the end of the story.
Bonnie
Apr 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This audiobook was a lot of fun, mostly narrated by the character of Tommy Carmelini, a decidedly bad boy hero working for the CIA. Sex and violence happens but not explicitly and there are plenty of plot twists and turns.
Heather Rauch
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, excellent thriller! Can't wait to read the next one. I like that the author was able to make Tommy a rough bachelor without using explicit scenes. The intrigue was well done too, couldn't put the book down.
Mike French
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Stephen Coonts has written another page turner thriller. If you haven't read any of the Tommy Carmellini start with this one!
Mario J.
Apr 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Very disappointing, not like his first books.
Bill Powers
Excellent story, but editing mistakes most likely from the print to ebook conversion, take away from the reading enjoyment.
Mjoneill
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
An excellent, mindless, escape. The literary equivalent of empty carbs. Wouldn't really recommend it, unless someone is looking for something that won't challenge them or make them think.
John
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I feel like I may have read this book before. Tommy Carmellini was a minor character in one of the Jake Grafton books. Now he has his own series. By day, he does odd jobs for the CIA, utilizing his burglary skills for God and Country. He also has a side gig where he works as a locksmith. By night, he hits on anything that moves and has way more success than he probably should. He's crude, but funny; a good guy with some bad habits.

Carmellini gets assigned to work security at a safe house in rura
Natalie Keating
This book was mediocre—I'd give it 2.5 stars, but I'm rounding up because I'm feeling generous today (I'm floating about in a good mood because I passed a certification exam yesterday, YES!). The book started off intriguing enough, with American special forces soldiers massacring a group of people at a CIA safe house in West Virginia, but as it wore on, I started to get bored, and by the end, I was kind of over it. (I think the author was, too, as the ending just sputtered out.) It's a decent en ...more
Wayne
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I have spent the past few evenings accompanying Tommy Carmellini on a terrifically exciting ride! Liars & Thieves, Stephen Coonts earliest novel featuring Tommy Carmellini is his best, with Pirate Alley not far behind.
Carmellini is an ex-gangster who now works as a CIA operative. In Liars & Thieves he has been sent to a secret CIA safe house located in West Virginia where a Russian defector (who has detailed information and documents regarding KGB activities over many years) is bein
Cheryl
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm really not sure what took me so long to read this. The plot was fast paced, the reader very engaging.

Maybe I needed to place this now, during this political environment. There was a Russian spy, there was corruption, there were political maneuverings, people were turning up dead.

It was really quite delightful.
John
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Tommy Carmellini is in and out of trouble, and beds, as he tries to deal with a group intent on assassinating a Russian defector. The chase leads him from DC to West Virginia, back to DC, and up the East Coast to New York. His old friend, Jake Grafton provides the necessary "aid and comfort" as the body count piles up.
R.J. Vaccarelli
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. Mystery, action, suspense. Had it all. Ironic thing is that this was published in 2004, called Liars and Thieves, and was about politicians. Thirteen years later, nothing has changed.
Jim McCulloch
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun read, well written, and the first glimpse of Tommy C. The only detraction is Mr. Coonts' complete lack of small arms knowledge. He may be an accomplished combat naval aviator but is pretty much clueless when it comes to individual arms.
Doug
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you liked Matt Helm,you will like Tommy Carmellini.I even wonder if Tommy is Helm's son unbeknownst to him,there are so many similarities between them.
Jim Hamill
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

More twists and turns than a mountainside road. Couldn’t stop reading it. Looking forward to more Tommy C books to keep me up at night!
Wanda
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book but then again all of Stephen Coonts are good. Kept me glued
Monica Willyard Moen
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced thriller with a fascinating plot, featuring a story that shows our layers of friendship and how friendship can destroy or save us.
Frederick Tan
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I read this a while back and re read this again. Very entertaining and a cool hero in Tommy.
Luke
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than I expected
Julie
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Plot based thriller. Lots of action and intrigue. Will look for more by this author .
David
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spy-thriller
Enjoyable spy thriller.
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • The Cutout
  • A Time for War (Jack Hatfield, #2)
  • Coping with Your Difficult Older Parent: A Guide for Stressed Out Children
  • Thunder of Erebus
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent

Tommy Carmellini (8 books)
  • The Traitor (Tommy Carmellini #2)
  • The Assassin (Tommy Carmellini #3)
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini #4)
  • Pirate Alley (Jake Grafton #15 Tommy Carmellini #5)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11; Tommy Carmellini #7)
  • The Armageddon File (Tommy Carmellini #8)
  • The Russia Account