Start by marking “America (Jake Grafton #9)” as Want to Read:
America (Jake Grafton #9)

America (Jake Grafton #9)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,673 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Dispatched on a trial run, NASA's SuperAegis satellite has been created as the foundation of an international antimissle defense system. But moments after dispatch, it vanishes. Rear Admiral Jake Grafton fears something worse than a grave malfunction--he suspects sabotage... — The USS America--the world's most technically advanced nuclear submarine--is launched on its maid ...more
Published July 14th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published September 8th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Wayne
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yet another exciting, fun read. Stephen Coonts, similar to Nelson DeMille, writes adventure novels, usually featuring an enemy of the United States, in a 'wise-ass', matter-of-fact style.
America continues the adventures of Admiral Jake Grafton along with his side-kick Tommy Carmellini, and a cast of interesting characters. "America" is the newest, sophisticated nuclear submarine that is confiscated by unknown persons on its maiden voyage. This follows the disappearance of the 'Super Aegis' , a s
Ann Amadori
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A bit depressing to begin with but lots of action and a good ending.
Dennis
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy a book by Coonts and this one did not disappoint. Good plot with some nice twists and a nice page-turner.
Thomas
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
In America, Stephen Coonts combines all of the most successful elements of his most noteworthy Jake Grafton "action-adventure" stories. First you have the hostile naval vessel takeover first displayed in "Final Flight" (and as a nod to that story, the fictional carrier USS United States is hanging around at the time that the fictional submarine "America" is hijacked. Then you have the covert espionage type affair which Coonts grappled with in "The Minotaur" and then you get the city/ federal gov ...more
Dale
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Solid, but not an exceptional thriller

The strength of a Stephen Coonts novel is that he provides a thriller like Tom Clancy but not all of the techno-speak. Instead, he provides just enough to give the reader a taste but not enough to overwhelm.

The weakness of Stephen Coonts is that Jake Grafton, likable as he is, makes Star Trek's Captain Kirk look like an underachiever. Grafton is everywhere in this book (like all of them). Who needs specialists, like Navy SEALs or an expert for a rocket launc
Marcia
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel has Jake Grafton as the major characters with all the others as minor ones. The story moves very fast, so the reader will need a seat belt for some of it. The CIA has trained a group of Russians & Germans to steal a Russian submarine to get technical information. The mission is scrubbed and the group is hijacked by French satellite interests and cyber thieves. The group then steals the brand new US submarine named America and shoots some missiles at Washington DC and New York City ...more
Ed
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, military, thriller
#9 in the Jake Grafton series.

Jake Grafton series - Rear Adm. Jake Grafton is shocked, as are his fellow Russian and European observers, when a satellite for the SuperAegis missile shield goes out of launch mode and is lost in seconds. Moments later, the state-of-the-art nuclear submarine America is hijacked on her maiden voyage. The sub is armed with Tomahawk missiles with "Flashlight" warheads capable of frying all unprotected electronics within miles of detonation, crippling target cities. Ja
William Torres
Oct 29, 2013 rated it liked it
The setting takes place in a launch platform near the Cape Canaveral and a pier in Long Island. The conflicts are that a new antimissile defense system disappears after its launch, and the most advance nuclear submarines,USS America, is hijacked by a group of terrorist just as the submarine goes on patrol for the first time. Jake Grafton with the help of Toad Tarkington, Flap Le Beau and Tommy Carmellini must find who stole the nuclear submarine and see if there is a connection with the disappea ...more
Ken Doggett
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a run-of-the-mill thriller, if there is such a thing. I like Stephen Coonts' Jake Grafton novels, but this just seemed average to me. It kept me reading, but only because I was mildly curious to see what would happen next, and not because I couldn't put it down. At no time did it ever seem that the main characters were in danger, and certainly not Jake Grafton, even though several times the author tried to assassinate him. I think it would be better drama if the assassins had been after ...more
Sharon
Apr 26, 2010 rated it liked it
This was just not Coonts' best Jake Grafton novel. It took a while to get going, and one question just get bugging me the whole while I was reading.

In the dark recesses of time, I dated a Navy A-6 bombardier/navigator. When we went to see "Hunt for Red October," I asked him afterward whether the caterpillar drive would actually work. His response: "I wouldn't know; I'm a plane guy, not a sub guy."

So, given that RAdm Jake Grafton is a "plane guy," why is this book about submarines? Why is he even
Dave
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A stolen high-tech submarine and a lost super satellite to be used in the international antimissile defense systems. A great novel that rivals The Hunt for Red October. Steven Coonts delivers in this fast paced thriller that's full of action. Unlike most of Steven Coonts novels, this one gets started right out of the gate and really grabs your attention. The plot unfolds very quickly to offer the reader a captivating page turner. Great Novel!
Cyndy
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I missed reading this Grafton novel, so I am reading this after Liberty. Another great Grafton military / spy novel. Some people were bothered by it being about a submarine when Grafton is an aviator. This did not bother me, lots of people are placed on projects for problem solving skills rather than intimate knowledge of the subject and Grafton spent very little time in / around the sub.
Andreas
Apr 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Unusually for Coonts, there is almost no flying. This is a vaguely passable technothriller in Tom Clancy style. Still not as polished as it could be, and Coonts fails to make the last half as gripping as the first. Also, I had a hard time believing the motivations and actions of the bad guys. Having said all that, I didn’t want to put it down until the end.

Marti
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rather sure that I have read other books by Stephen Coontz. This was very exciting. It was also informative, so that I feel that I know more about submarines and missiles. Jake Grafton and the rest of his crew are interesting characters. It is embarassing when the Russians steal the sub, and dangerous when they fire off Tomahawk missiles that fry systems in Washington, DC and elsewhere.
George
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
The plot revolves around a stolen US submarine and a diverted satellite...an implausible idea, but exciting. The characters include our hero Jake, with some help from Toad and Carmelini. The Russians and some international businessmen are the bad guys. It all unfolds over 14+ hours and keeps the listener on the edge of his seat. Gotta find the next book in the Grafton series.
Glenajo
Oct 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, but it dragged a little, perhaps because it was the first Jake Grafton book that I listened to. The nuclear explosions gave the book an overall depressing feel. I enjoyed the investigation work of Grafton and the technical explanations of Stephen Coonts. It is not nearly as intense as Flight of the Intruder.
RJ
Well, I liked it with reservations. By mid-story it was getting better and I was liking it more and more. The plot was interesting and the action was picking up. The ending wound down a little too much for my liking and basically took my enthusiasm with it. It was still worth the read; I was looking or hoping for more action and suspense.
Steve
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this Coonts story. some stories spend too much time, for me, on aircraft and carriers, but this one was very good.

Scott
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you think Clancy is too technical but still want great character development and a building plot, Coonts is an author to read. I've followed Jake Grafton from his Vietnam heroics into his pseudo spy roles.
America is a fantastic read with no leaping stretches of technology possibilities built on a plot of greed and political intrigue.
Laurie Stoll
I chose not to rate this book because this type of story is outside of the genre's I enjoy reading. Since it wasn't s a subject matter that interested me I felt it would be unfair for me to give this book a rating.
Susan
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well done Stephen, I have never read much about submarines and under water fighting. You did your research well, details were great and I could imagine being in the sub as they were sending torpedos at each other. Scary!
Justin
Jul 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Another entry in the Jake Grafton series, an interesting plot of state-sponsored terrorism involving the hijacking of a new American submarine. Like most of his books, kind of a slow-going middle portion of the book, but picks up again in the final act.

Dark-Draco
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
I really liked this book. A typical thriller with really nasty baddies stealing a submarine - one that is of course invisible to conventional sonar. What happens to New York and Washigton is quite scary, eve more so as it is quite possible. Well worth reading.
Ken Schloman
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book reminds me a lot of Tom Clancy's "Hunt for Red October" with an extra dose of steroids. It's well written although it does stretch believability somewhat, but it does present a remotely worst case scenario. Good read for fans of Coontz.
Simon
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
A mix of thriller, espionage, tecno, warfare, but I did find it a bit of a grind towards the end and found myself speed-reading from about page 350 just to get to the end. Lots of densely packed words per page. Will give Stephen Coonts a miss on his next books for a while.
Richard Edwards
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military
If you like Jake Grafton and possible future war scenarios, this is a great read.
Cathay
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Life on a submarine is described very well in this fast-paced novel. Interesting concept of "if America was a submarine hi-jacked by multi-national terrorists."
Joe Newell
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
This was enjoyable. Somewhat like a Clancy novel, without being so ridiculously overwritten.
Ralph McEwen
Jun 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well read, good voices. Very intense.
bette
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read.
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • U.S.S. Seawolf (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #4)
  • Day of Wrath
  • Sea Strike (Amanda Garrett, #2)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts

Jake Grafton (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton #1)
  • The Intruders (Jake Grafton #2)
  • Final Flight (Jake Grafton #3)
  • The Minotaur (Jake Grafton #4)
  • Under Siege (Jake Grafton #5)
  • The Red Horseman (Jake Grafton #6)
  • Cuba (Jake Grafton #7)
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton #8)
  • Liberty (Jake Grafton #10)
  • Liberty's Last Stand (Jake Grafton #11; Tommy Carmellini #7)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99