Start by marking “Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)

Vector

(Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery #4)

A disgruntled Russian emigre is poised to lash out at the adoptive nation he believes has denied him the American dream. A former technician in the Soviet biological weapons systems, he possesses the knowledge to unleash into the streets of New York City the ultimate terror: a modern bioweapon. But before he executes his final act of vengeance, he must first experiment on ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Vector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vector

Start your review of Vector (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #4)
Jayanth
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
My first Robin Cook read and I have to say I liked it.

I was interested in the book because it is a bioterrorism, medical thriller. The book started off spectacularly, setting up the plot about a planned bioterrorist attack, starting the thriller part of the book right from the get go. But the thrill element is pushed into the back seat after a while as the author shifts the focus of the story to the preparation and execution of the attack, which was not what I was expecting and hence I was a
Jess
May 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Horrendous writing, but who doesn't enjoy the wacky hijinks that ensue when a disgruntled Russian emigre and an vengeful bunch of white supremacists cross paths? Bio-weapons, terrorism by pest control truck- this is the perfect bargain basement book for a lazy day (if you're lucky, you'll find a Robin Cook omnibus for double the fun!).
Perri
Dec 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Haven't read a Robin Cook book in a long time, so thought I'd give this a go. For a best selling author, I was a bit surprised at the clunky writing and underdeveloped character development. I'm wondering if I reread Coma, I have the same reaction. I liked the exciting story line and the short chapters kept the action moving. A bonus half star for a so satisfying ending.
John Beta
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Eh, ok, perhaps 3.6 stars. Another riveting page-turner medical thriller about bioterrorism. But this time the two protagonists did not save the day. It was Yuri, the Russian bioterrorist who had the last laugh. And what happened to that asshole arms dealer? Are you thoroughly confused? Good, you'll just have to read it to put these pieces together.
Sandi
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical
Not his best but I enjoyed it.
Heather Spence
May 29, 2010 rated it liked it
I had to read this book as a requirement so it took a lot of the satisfaction out of it but there is almost always something going on. Although, it's not in a high-speed action sort of way but instead makes you use your brain and enjoy the thought and emotion behind what the main characters do. Hits very close to home after the anthrax scares after 9/11.
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was phenomenal, as least in my opinion. I love how Cook created his M.E.'s and had them find out details that, if they missed, would have flawed the book. The characters in the novel are lovable (well, minus Yuri, Steve, Curt, and Co.) and quirky in the best possible ways.

What I thoroughly enjoyed were the parts at the hospital. Now, yes, I know I probably sound like a freak there, but hear me out. I enjoy medical lingo, so being able to understand a novel and dive into it is key to
Caitlin
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the fourth book in the ‘Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery’ series and I have to say it is probably my least favourite. I am normally all for this series, particularly due to Jack as he is such a great character, but this book missed the mark in the plot line. It did have a promising premise, Jack investigating a couple suspicious deaths due to Anthrax and Botulism, but that was pretty much all of the science, medicine and investigation Jack does. At least half of the book is dedicated ...more
Nathan Diaz
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
This novel, like many others written by Robin cook is quite creepy. Creepy in the sense that bioweapons can easily be made in someone’s basement if they have the know how and drive. With a jerry-rigged microbiological containment room that can fit into someones basement, simple legal substances can be transformed into the deadliest agents. Homemade pulverisers and air vents, combined with culture tanks are the ingredients to backyard super weapons... This book has relevance to today’s real life ...more
Shagun Tripathi
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not the very best of Robin Cook, but holds on the central theme. The writing is gripping and effortless, however, the plot seemed pretty basic. I could almost run the predictions in my head. Although what must be appreciated here is the deep research that has gone into building the context of the novel for a few instances of Google and one comes up with actual incidents, places, dates that corroborate with the facts into which fiction has been woven in this thriller.

Having read too many
Ekin Açıkgöz
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
If you are in to Robin Cook and his medical thrillers, this is one example that reaches the standard. It is a page-turner. I didn't fall in love with it though. On the other hand, the idea of an immigrant out of the old Soviet bio-weapon development program has got into me. I consulted this book on how to set-up a bio-weapon production laboratory at home, while writing my own novel. In this regard, this book has a very special place within the reference books shelf of my personal library.

Robin
Mario
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, thriller
It didn't end up being too bad in the end. The author used a few too many coincidences to move things along than I'd like to see, but the bad guys were pretty well-rounded as characters. If they had been as flat as the protagonists the whole book would have been a slog, but there was actually a surprising amount of depth in Yuri and, to a lesser extent, Curt. It still wasn't all that great, and his attempts at keeping the cast diverse felt forced and awkward. I guess the sentiment is nice, but I ...more
Clinton Dsouza
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book atleast 5 times. A proper page turner, where you wont put it down until you finish reading the whole thing. This book dealt with a lot of social issues like racism, immigration, work ethics(the firemen misusing their authority), etc.
The Jack Lou Laurie bits added a bit of comic relief as well.
The Russian emigre's character is very well painted. Despite his intentions I felt a bit sorry for him. To lose his entire family in such terrible circumstances(mother dies in anthrax
Shailesh Dhume
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Quite a pedestrian thriller. Almost seems like it was written by someone other than Cook. Cannot imagine a brilliant author who gave us Fever and Coma with this mess. Just too many coincidences in the book to make it feel real. The characters are weak especially the villains are cartoonish.The premise of a biological attack is great but the book goes nowhere with it. Just a case of lazy writing and editing.
Maetta
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is part of the Laurie Montgomery/Jack Stapleton medical examiner series. Jack is having a devil of a time figuring out what killed a rug dealer. Finally he discovers that it was anthrax. What he doesn’t know is that the Peoples Aryan Army and a disgruntled Russian have plans for a terrorist attack on NYC and this was just a test run. Lots of actions and twists of fate to make this an enjoyable read.
Debbie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 more realistic rating. Was entertaining, fast moving and anthrax educational. Tend to tire quickly of the Jack/Laurie “love tension” relationship (it’s the first in this series I’ve read) and Yuri and the Fire Department employees were difficult to relate to as realistic characters. This created a few bla bla bla pages. Overall, would recommend as Robin Cook knows how to write an interesting medical novel.
Tagcaver
I like reading medical mysteries, and this was a pretty good book along those lines. However, I felt the author left us hanging at the end by not revealing anything more about Laurie's potential fiancee, Paul. Was he caught up in the drama that happened at the end or not? Nothing more is said about his connection to anything else that goes on in the book. Did he and Laurie stay together or not? It might have gotten another star if not for this.
Lynn Orser
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoy Robin Cook's novels even though I do not understand the medical terms, I can get the picture as he explains the circumstance. The Laurie and Jack series is good at the character development unfolds during the series of books. Lots of interesting people come in contact with these tow ME's. Enjoy.
Gail Kulp
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The threat of terrorism in this book is scary given that this book is 20 years old. The story and details have held up well given the time and the characters continue to hold my interest as a reader.
Carole
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-books-read
Jack Stapleton and Laurie Montgomery, medical examiners in New York City, are back again, this time to uncover and hopefully stop a plot to unleash anthrax on the city. Note: This novel came out in 1999, before 9/11 and all that followed.
Michael Adamchuk
A disgruntled Russian emigre (a taxi driver) and a couple of firemen (part of a "liberation army") team up to spread anthrax in a Federal building. The plot is discovered and it's a race to the finish. The good guys win again.
Udara
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author has done research on bioterrorism before writing the book which has helped to make this book more focused on facts than fiction. I widened my knowledge on bioterrorism while enjoying the storyline.
Lisa Green
Something of a slow starter, but really picked up pace in the second half. Interesting science, believable characters, and a superb ending.
It's been a while since I have read a Robin Cook novel, but I think the others I've read were more gripping and enjoyable, hence the 3 star rating.
Joy Norman
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medical-stories
Loved the book I will definitely will be reading more of his books. He was informative an worked a conceivable story around bioterrorism. What I find is scary at the end of his book is where some of these things have already taken place
Aditya Bhasin
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gripping to the end. Fast paced and keeps the reader on the hook.
Robin Cook does an excellent job building up each character but at the same time gently leads the reader right where the story explodes into a "I can't put the book down now"

One of my favourite reads so far
Subramanian
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Thrilling tale of vengeance and misguided zealotry. The doc's at his narrative best in the second half of the tale. Still, not as good as 'Fever' which to me is the best of all his tales.
Christian Brown
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The middle went too far into the hatred preached by neo-Nazi thinking, and I almost wanted to stop reading there, but the ending was absolutely amazing!
Kelly McNair
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great! Liked Toxin a tad better.
Sasha Soleta
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
what can I say I really like this series of books.
Lexi
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

This book is a terrifying read, especially given today's political climate. It moved quickly and, ultimately, ended well. Four stars.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • The Second Opinion
  • Side Effects: Death. Confessions of a Pharma-Insider
  • Miracle Cure
  • Bloodstream
  • Hellfire
  • Murder by Magic (Libby Sarjeant #10)
  • Echoes in the Walls (House of Secrets, #2)
  • Haunted Heart: The Life and Times of Stephen King
  • Doom of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #2)
  • Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #3)
  • Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life
  • House of Secrets (House of Secrets, #1)
  • Fatal
  • The Church of Dead Girls
  • Disclosure
  • The Silhouette Girl
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine, biotechnology, and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who created the medical-thriller genre by combining medical writing with the

Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Blindsight (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #1)
  • Contagion (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #2)
  • Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3)
  • Marker (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #5)
  • Crisis (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #6)
  • Critical (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #7)
  • Foreign Body (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #8)
  • Intervention (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #9)
  • Cure (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #10)
  • Pandemic (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #11)
“over his body. The skin of the thorax that had been removed was draped over his legs. On it was a large tattoo of a Viking. A small Nazi swastika was tattooed in the center of his forehead. “Why a Viking?” Jack asked. “Hello, Jack, dear,” Laurie said brightly. “Have you finished your first case already? Have you met Agent Gordon Tyrrell? How was your ride in this morning?” “Just fine,” Jack said. Since the questions had come so quickly he only responded to the last. “Jack insists on riding a bike around the” 0 likes